General discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 26, 2015 3:16 pm
Thread for non-character discussion, general chat, etc...

I guess I will start by introducing myself. I started playing D&D last year, mainly GMing. I am in the UK, and the gaming community here isn't particularly large. This kind of forum is perfect for me. I have a few campaigns to run (Village of Hommlett, Lost Mines) and this would be a fun place to do it without having to schedule a weekly group. My real-life group are playing Lost Mines (starter set) but I want to try with some other players (preferably experienced ones)

Dom

(perhaps a Charisma check is needed?)
Jun 26, 2015 5:56 pm
Thanks for accepting me!

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. Been playing rpgs in various shapes and sizes for the past 3 years or so. I've been running a 5e campaign for friends (stareted as lost mine as well).

I love Ravenloft, haven't actually played it, but I was quite inspired after reading the original (I7 or whatever it was) module, I was hoping to run in for Halloween this year, so this should be a lot of fun.
Jun 26, 2015 6:09 pm
So you know a little of what is in store for you all :p NO meta-play!! I'm watching

AS are my pack of 10+ ghouls (random encounters can be the most deadly...)

I assume most of you will be around 5 hours behind me, which doesn't work out too badly
Jun 26, 2015 6:24 pm
Should have specified I didn't read that deeply, only some of the unique early game stuff. And I oggled the maps a bit. It'll be a thorough surprise don't worry. :)
Jun 26, 2015 6:49 pm
Hi I am in Indianapolis, Indiana, and for some reason we use Eastern Standard Time zone so yeah, I'm GMT-5 exactly...or so I'm told by the clock on my computer. I've been a gamer for longer than I'd like to admit, but I'm a nice player, easy to get along with and I'm here for good story and roleplay, not to get the rules right. I can't seem to rustle up a group right now so a play by post 5e is something I'm really interested in.
Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm
Honestly, I've run this module in the past year. I stripped it down to bare essentials for a con and we got the whole thing done in 5 hours. It was awesome. That said, I know the difference between player knowledge and character knowledge. In any decision where I know something my character doesn't, I'll simply let the rest of the party make the call.
If this really is a problem, I suppose I'll bow out, but I love Ravenloft.
Jun 26, 2015 7:36 pm
Hey all. I am also from Indiana, but a bit father north than Indy. I've been playing D&D since 3rd edition, and play by post games have finally allowed me to play after a few years of not being able to play in person. I was usually the DM so in happy to play and get into character. If I ever meta-game, it's totally by accident. I apologize now just in case.
Jun 26, 2015 9:34 pm
Hi all, nice to meet you. It's 30y old hit so I'm not expecting experienced players to have no knowledge. My newb players found most things by fluke! And you still have to survive the tomb-of-horror level encounters that may occur. The other great thing is that certain aspectschange each time you play...its just such a good module. Best of luck to you all
Jun 26, 2015 10:36 pm
I guess I'll sound off so I'm not the odd one out. I'm from Illinois, west of Chicago in Aurora, home of Wayne from Wayne's World. I've been playing DnD for about 15 years now. Like the new rule set quite a bit. I'm on this site so much all I have to do is hit "g" and it fills in the rest. I have odd hours and I'm bored as hell most days so this fills in some of the gaps. I've always wanted to play in Ravenloft and joined a forum back in the day that I can't remember but it was much more social roleplaying than my character was built for.
Jun 28, 2015 2:01 pm
Whoa! I finally got approved! Now I have catching up reading to do on the threads! Wanted to play an OoV paladin but a quick scan of the character creation thread tells me it's taken.

Glad to be here! Thanks! :-)

By way of introduction, I'm from Manila, Philippines (GMT+8) so I'm going to be the one with the weirdly-timed posts hehe! Besides the time zone difference I also keep odd work hours as I am a chef running my own cake business. We like making geeky cakes. Here's one :-)

I was introduced to D&D almost 30 years ago (AD&D back then) and to this day I still play with the same group of guys, my best friends. We played 3.5E when that came out and spent 10 years on a campaign, skipped 4E, and recently started a 5E campaign. I'm fairly new to PbP, having only discovered GP earlier this year. It's been fun trying out new game systems and character concepts I would never have gotten off the ground in my face-to-face games.

Looking forward to this adventure with you guys! Cheers!
Jun 28, 2015 2:29 pm
Is that the Baron Strahd himself on that cake?
Jun 28, 2015 3:00 pm
Nice to meet you Jabes. AD&D was (sort of) my first intro to tabletop RPGs through the PC game Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. It used AD&D rules so I think that made learning 3rd edition easier when I spotted my best friend sketching a green dragon from the Monster Manual. I was hooked from then on.
Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm
How does the internet find you people?

Welcome aboard! 1 character approved. 5 to go. You can play what you like - duplicates/variations on a theme are fine. Who knows how long they will live anyway?? (Tbh I'm not that kind of DM. I have never killed a PC yet as 5th edition does a lot for survivability)
Jun 28, 2015 8:11 pm
themightykobold says:
Is that the Baron Strahd himself on that cake?
No, I think it's a homebrew. The cake was made for a DM.
Quote:
The resident here is one Cyris Maximus, General Overlord of the armies of Duvan’Ku. He has been awake and aware for many centuries, but is barred from leaving the tomb… unless someone from the surface invites him.
Speaking of DM's, my current GP avatar is taken from another cake we made that was inspired by the classic D&D TV show :-)
Jun 29, 2015 12:26 pm
I'm definitely looking in next time I'm in Manila.

Also, if you've a mind to do a Paladin, I'm actually cool with making something else. I love making characters, and I feel like it might be time for me to do a caster.
Last edited June 29, 2015 12:29 pm
Jun 29, 2015 7:44 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Nice to meet you Jabes. AD&D was (sort of) my first intro to tabletop RPGs through the PC game Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. It used AD&D rules so I think that made learning 3rd edition easier when I spotted my best friend sketching a green dragon from the Monster Manual. I was hooked from then on.
Didn't get a chance to play Baldur's Gate but I hear that was an excellent series of games! I did play Neverwinter Nights a lot when that came out :-)
Grazzt says:
I'm definitely looking in next time I'm in Manila.

Also, if you've a mind to do a Paladin, I'm actually cool with making something else. I love making characters, and I feel like it might be time for me to do a caster.
Yeah definitely let me know if you're going to be in town! :-)

I'm not married to the idea of playing a paladin. It's just that I'm currently playing pretty much every other class in other games hehe! If you've got a concept already then go for it! I love making characters too but I confess I haven't had much time yet to give character creation for this particular game much thought. Real life, you know? In a couple of days I hope to be able to give it my attention. If paladin is still open then, I'll take it. Otherwise it's cool, I'll come up with something else :-)
Jun 29, 2015 8:21 pm
4 chars in, 2 to go :)
Jun 30, 2015 12:27 pm
Jabes, go for the paladin, then... I've played one already. I'll try something else.
Jul 2, 2015 1:40 am
OK..So I just remembered something about Ravenloft that I don't think has been touched on yet. It seems we are headed into Barovia but not in it (Sorry i havent taken the time to look at a map). So this strikes me as important, in the past iterations Barovia was seperated by magical mists that only the Vista I could cross without the permission of the ruler (Lord Strhad, Lord Soth, etc.) But that hasn't been brought up.

No one has mentioned being Vistani except in reference to the messenger. I'm fine with changes, make it your world if you want, I'm just curious if that is in fact we should have realized being from Ravenloft. Or if our characters aren't supposed to know that, that's cool. I just need a little clarification.
Jul 2, 2015 1:42 am
Or if I've just missed reading the relevant details somehow. That's happened before.
Jul 2, 2015 1:51 am
I took Patterna as a language but I am most definitely not Vistani. My character is from Mordent, not Barovia, and I figured she just got losts in the mists while looking for dad. I can play it more like lost through the mists and now she has no idea where she's at. Could it be possible to bribe the Vistani to take one through the mists?
Jul 2, 2015 1:56 am
In the one scenario I've played in Ravenloft, convincing the Vistani was the only way to get through the mist. Once Strand had us go for a cure found in another realm (the current incarnation of his love had a magic disease) so one time he let us out, but we had to get back in. That was a scary scene to have Lord Strand show up to dinner and demand your service.
Jul 2, 2015 1:59 am
I think we're just running the Ravenloft module, which predates a lot of the stuff you're talking about. Biscuitfiend will have to confirm this, but I'm working on the assumption that things like the Vistani and the domains and the barriers etc aren't a feature of this game. On the other hand, I could be totally off base.
Jul 2, 2015 2:21 am
Grazzt says:
I think we're just running the Ravenloft module, which predates a lot of the stuff you're talking about. Biscuitfiend will have to confirm this, but I'm working on the assumption that things like the Vistani and the domains and the barriers etc aren't a feature of this game. On the other hand, I could be totally off base.
This would make sense...I reread the description that this is an updated adventure, if this is the case that works great for me but I never knew a Ravenloft when there weren't mists except before Strahd was a vampire (from the novel "I, Strahd"), but the mists went up as soon as he turned. so the question remains. Like I said I can roll with whatever, I just am not sure where we are on that element
Jul 2, 2015 8:04 am
This module is set in Greyhawk. It inspired the Ravenloft setting. Since it's a one-shot it makes sense if you want to use ideas from the Ravenloft setting. It's your game as much as mine! I haven't read the setting, just seen the maps and what you guys have implemented. Don't be surprised if a few things are slightly different from the setting
Jul 2, 2015 8:23 am
I also got the name wrong. This is I6 - Ravenloft
Jul 2, 2015 8:51 am
I'm kinda glad I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about.
Jul 2, 2015 1:39 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Muahahaha!
Jul 2, 2015 2:30 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Same here hehe! Our AD&D campaign 28 years ago was set in Greyhawk but I don't remember any of the locales anymore. I also know nothing about Ravenloft except that the BBEG is a vampire named Strahd von Zarovich. This guy doesn't sparkle, does he? XD
Jul 2, 2015 5:41 pm
OK, that makes sense for the setting. Like I said it was just a bit of remembered history. I can leave the baggage and just play a Gothic horror D&D game with some of the names I may recognise. Totally on board with that. Thanks for the clarification!
Jul 2, 2015 5:48 pm
I just had a glance at that Gazetteer and the Ravenloft PHB, Sword & Sorcery really didn't mess around with that setting did they?
Jul 2, 2015 8:04 pm
If being sparkly makes you hate him, I'm up for that
Jul 3, 2015 2:28 am
Biscuitfiend says:
If being sparkly makes you hate him, I'm up for that
HAHAHAHHA....Oh man! The image of Strahd as a Twilight vampire. The scariest pile of glitter ever.
Jul 3, 2015 8:19 pm
Sorry guys I'm out of town this weekend, so my posting will be intermittent. I'll try to slip posts in when I can.
Jul 4, 2015 12:10 am
Grendel . . . we can be friends.
Quote:
Sword & Sorcery really didn't mess around with that setting did they?
Nah, they didn't. That's just one of at least five gazetteers, each one full of deep background information.
Jul 4, 2015 2:41 am
Delaying my post until I finalize Grizel's prepared spells for the day. Having a quick private discussion with foolsmask so there are no overlaps with Lysander :-)
Jul 4, 2015 3:54 am
Responded.
Jul 4, 2015 11:20 am
Hi guys. Don't forget to roll HP for your steeds (3d10+3 warhorse). Roll each time for Find Steed. Treating them as creatures (not PCs) for this purpose. Thanks
Jul 4, 2015 1:45 pm
Sorry for the short, unimaginative post earlier. Internet's wonky. Will edit in a bit. Grizel actually left home on a horse but has since then sold it or given it away. Since the day you met her she has summoned a new steed every day partly to maintain her anonymity.
Last edited July 4, 2015 2:13 pm
Jul 4, 2015 5:46 pm
themightykobold says:

How much to borrow a horse? If it's too expensive Katerina will just walk.
I should have summoned a riding horse instead, then we could have shared. Then again most if the PC's don't have mounts. It's a 5-hour march.
Jul 4, 2015 6:32 pm
There's always Iskandill's cart to ride it.
Jul 5, 2015 2:56 am
Thanks for mentioning that. :-) I think I'll take that offer of that's ok.
Jul 5, 2015 11:37 pm
How many animals are you going to give me to slaughter?! Ok...just kidding...
Jul 6, 2015 9:58 pm
Katerina is suprised by the wolves but rolled a natural 20 on initiative. Would she be able to draw her swords as a bonus action before the wolves attack her in the surprise round?
Jul 7, 2015 7:45 am
No - it just means you act first in round 2. The only time a crit/fumble counts is attack roll , though I sometimes throw in a drawback/bonus for other checks
Jul 7, 2015 8:27 am
ARGH the time zone difference has bitten me in the ass. I was going to have Grizel use Divine Sense next to make sure we don't get ambushed but now I see it's too late for that as we're already under attack. Oh well :-P

I don't know much about mounted combat in this edition so I've just consulted the PHB and it turns out you don't get advantage for fighting from horseback unless you have the Mounted Combatant feat. I don't really see Grizel fighting from horseback a lot, maybe just her initial charge into melee (again, no benefits to charging in this edition unless you have the appropriate feat). PHB also says that while mounted, the steed can only Dash, Dodge or Disengege (not Attack). So when Grizel's turn comes up she will dismount and attack the nearest wolf. Does that then free up the warhorse to Attack? Does it have to roll its own initiative or can I just have it act on Grizel's turn to keep things simple?
Jul 7, 2015 8:52 am
Only beastmaster pets can be controlled by the player - all others are considered NPCs/followers unless you are mounted
Jul 7, 2015 9:08 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Only beastmaster pets can be controlled by the player - all others are considered NPCs/followers unless you are mounted
Fair enough. The steed can act independently of course, and a combat-trained warhorse will probably fight without direction from the rider. Find Steed says the steed is a loyal mount and that rider and steed can communicate telepathically. Can a rider conceivably communicate "Help me fight!" to the steed? Not that the steed would be obligated to comply.
Jul 7, 2015 11:20 am
Based on spell description you should be able to control your summoned steed on your initiative. I will rule that a normal warhorse will certainly defend itself if attacked, but they have very low intelligence and may still flee if threatened, but with a low DC for morale checks. With a normal horse, you can calm it using an action to give it advantage on this throw. Object interaction for warhorse. (It will attack on DC20, or flee on lower than 10 or 15)
Jul 7, 2015 11:23 am
I've paced the intro a bit fast to get the game running, but will prob drop to 2 posts/day
Jul 7, 2015 11:51 am
Re warhorse: Cool, down with that :-)
Jul 7, 2015 1:40 pm
Biscuitfiend - I'm curious about some of the rolls you made, specifically at Sindar & Iskandil's save vs prone checks. You applied a -1 to the d4 roll. While the -1 did not have much of an effect on the results since Sindar's d20 was so low and Iskandar's d20 was so high, I'm still curious...why is there a penalty? Is that something we should be aware of in character?

If some affect gives a negative to saving throws, shouldn't the penalty be to the d20 roll? And if it is applied already, (I can't see either Iskandil or Sindar's character sheets) why would it be applied to the Bless effect also? If it is directly related to the Bless spell, should the penalty be applied to the attack roll bonus as well?

I'm just asking because there hasn't been a stated reason. I accept that you have a reason and I am not upset, just asking the question so I have as much information as I can get.
Last edited July 7, 2015 1:41 pm
Jul 7, 2015 2:04 pm
I tried to post 1d20+1d4-1. It was a strength saving throw hence the -1 for both chars (forgot to check proficiency tho). Turns out the forum roller isn't that advanced! So I added the dice and modifier manually
Jul 7, 2015 2:15 pm
Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something weird.
Jul 7, 2015 6:03 pm
Grizel hasn't acted this encounter and so is still mounted. She isn't in the habit of naming her steeds or of keeping them long. Normally she dismisses the steed when the group makes camp and summons a new one in the morning. Ok I just reread the spell text and it says the steed can take the form that the character chooses (such as a warhorse) but is in reality a celestial or fey or fiend. Let's just say celestial. Grizel will telepathically ask its name. Ok he says his name is Alastor.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9a/80/55/9a8055dd59445e81cdf3bf0c23c29db3.jpg
Jul 7, 2015 6:54 pm
I think I'm a bit lost as to who's turn it is, Biscuit just posted wolf 5, so are we at the top of round 2 now?
Jul 7, 2015 7:08 pm
Top of first regular (non-surprise) round, I think.
Jul 7, 2015 8:11 pm
No, this should be the second round unless we're still waiting on a few more actions from the first round.
Jul 7, 2015 8:13 pm
Sindar and Grizel did not act yet for the first round.
Jul 7, 2015 8:16 pm
Okay, I thought only Lysander and Iskandil were to act in the first round, and then I figured that I would have lost my readied action by being knocked over.
Jul 7, 2015 8:28 pm
I only acted in the surprise round. So I'm going to post and hope that I'm doing the right thing.
Jul 7, 2015 10:23 pm
4 of you were surprised and cannot act in first round. It was unfortunate that Sindar got knocked over
Jul 7, 2015 11:31 pm
Sorry if it messes with anyone that I post out of initiative order. I'm used to GMs posting the combat. I'll change if needed
Jul 8, 2015 12:36 am
It's our first combat, we'll work out the kinks.
Jul 8, 2015 1:11 am
Hey Grendel, you should have sneak attack damage to dole out as well.

PHB 96:
Quote:

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another
enemy o f the target is within 5 feet o f it, that enemy
isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on
the attack roll.
I moved into the square of the dead wolf that I killed so I should be in base contact with the one you are fighting.
Jul 8, 2015 1:14 am
Oh snap, totally forgot. Haven't been a player a whole lot, and it's tough to keep track of everyone's relative position, though the VTT images certainly help.
Jul 8, 2015 2:59 am
No worries. Just your friendly local lamplighter at your service.
Jul 8, 2015 3:27 am
Looking at the VTT screenshot, it was pretty obvious that I should have gone for the sneak attack. I didn't fully appreciate the havok that Katerina wreaked on those poor wolfies ;)

Biscuitfiend: Can I add that damage after the fact? I'm totally cool with paying for forgetting as well though.

EDIT: And Iskandil, don't want to short change your effort :)
Last edited July 8, 2015 3:28 am
Jul 8, 2015 4:09 am
I'm just protecting my still. I'm worried about these wolves though. They aren't acting natural.
Jul 8, 2015 7:43 am
Ok, I'm sorry but I too am confused now where we are exactly on the initiative order. Some GM's prefer to let everybody post in whatever order and then they just sort it out later. Other GM's prefer for players to wait their turn. It seemed to me like Biscuitfiend is the latter and so I've been eager to have Grizel act but waiting my turn to post. I could be wrong but it looks as if Grizel's turn for the 1st normal round was passed over? I don't want to mess things up by just throwing in a post right now.
Last edited July 8, 2015 7:44 am
Jul 8, 2015 9:30 am
I'm the former - you can post your turn whenever (and set conditions for your action if you prefer). As in a normal game, if you forget to use, you lose. I run through the initiative order with the posts you have given to me (and change your target if it is downed, etc.) So the last action I describe is where we are in the IN order.
Jul 8, 2015 10:18 am
Biscuitfiend says:
I'm the former - you can post your turn whenever (and set conditions for your action if you prefer). As in a normal game, if you forget to use, you lose. I run through the initiative order with the posts you have given to me (and change your target if it is downed, etc.) So the last action I describe is where we are in the IN order.
Thanks for clarifying! :-) In PbP I'm actually in favor of the former but n games where the GM prefers the latter I respect that too. Ok, will post in a bit.
Jul 8, 2015 3:25 pm
Indeed. Good to know, my posts will be quicker now without waiting on others.
Jul 8, 2015 3:54 pm
Hey, sorry about the double post in the game thread. My browser did not appear to be moving, so I figured I had missed the button somehow but after hitting it again, twin posts. Since Biscuitfiend turned off deleting of posts, I can't fix it myself. Sirry for the clutter.
Jul 9, 2015 4:33 pm
So are we waiting on Katerina and Faelor for this round?
Jul 10, 2015 2:23 am
Hey all! Sorry for the lack of posts. Y'all have been blowing up my phone and I feel so bad for not responding. I've been working third shift for the past week and I'm all screwed up. I'm off tomorrow though all I hope to catch up with everything.
Just wanna say again how much I'm enjoying this.
Thank you! :-)
Jul 10, 2015 10:07 am
I'll prob just move on as it's an easy combat, there is exploration to do! :)
Jul 13, 2015 12:48 pm
Grizel isn't your typical bossy paladin, but she is accustomed to some level of command. I do hope that doesn't result in personality conflict with Katerina, who thinks the Lamplighters should enjoy some measure of authority! ;-)
Last edited July 13, 2015 12:49 pm
Jul 13, 2015 12:59 pm
All good opportunities for excellent roleplay!
Jul 14, 2015 1:51 pm
Look at that, everyone totally ignored Grizel and crowded up the stairs. Didn't give her attitude, just ignored her hehe!
Jul 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Oops! Must have missed that. Sorry!
Jul 14, 2015 3:47 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Look at that, everyone totally ignored Grizel and crowded up the stairs. Didn't give her attitude, just ignored her hehe!
I thought you were still talking to your steed. Though looking back at it now you clearly said you were whispering to us non-Lysanderians. Apologies.
Jul 15, 2015 12:22 am
Haha no worries, guys! I'm not offended or anything. Grizel might be though hehe!
Jul 16, 2015 1:29 am
Question for Gm (and depending on the answer everyone else in the party). Lysander took a little damage in the wolf fight (6 points if I read all of the posts correctly). Have we had a short rest, in which we could spend Hit Dice and recover some damage. Part of me thinks we've been moving quickly and the atmosphere would certainly have me on edge if I was actually in Barovia as it has been described. If you ruled that we have not had the requisite moments of rest I would accept that answer, but as it looks like we are headed into another fight, I felt I needed to ask the question.

If we have not, Lysander may bring this up to the group. So that's where everyone else can chime in. Do we want to take a short rest?
Jul 16, 2015 1:37 am
That makes sense so we can be ready for whatever comes next.
Jul 16, 2015 4:56 am
A rest makes total sense to me as a player but right now Grizel (and Katerina as well if I'm interpreting correctly) are too emotional to want to stop. Grizel may be convinced if Lysander or anyone else brings it up. Here's the thing though: are we still in town ir are we nearly at Burgomaster's estate? I posted Grizel activating Divine Sense assuming we're about halfway there and possibly out in the open. I'd wait for Biscuitfiend to tell us exactly where we are at the moment and if there's someplace secure that's suitable for resting.
Jul 16, 2015 9:53 am
I'm not an eat-you-alive-everytime-you-rest kind of DM. For example, resting in the open may result in an encounter. Resting indoors is generally very safe. Other than that, I am pretty much following the original campaign's rules it has set out for encounters. You've not currently been resting (travelling through Barovia is hardly downtime). Obviously, the atmosphere of fear and threat is a central element to this module, and this is also an old-school module so character deaths are certainly possible (I didn't get any last time I played it), although 5e is kinder to players than older editions. If you die though, it's either your fault, the dice's fault or the module's fault :p

I have been blamed as a 'combat heavy DM' by my home players, so watch out (I'm really not - they are just rubbish at combat and it takes them hours. You guys are great. I love play by post)
Jul 16, 2015 12:42 pm
I see from the most recent post that we've arrived at Kolyan Indrirovich's mansion so my decision to activate Divine Sense stands.

In this world what do the PC's know of undead in general and vampires in particular? What do they know and what do they feel when the word "vampyr" is uttered? Do some know more than others or is everyone clueless? I'd like to know so I can roleplay Grizel correctly.
Jul 16, 2015 4:02 pm
Like I said I'm fine with the idea we have been moving to much to rest...we really have, I just didn't want to waste the chance. I still have plenty of spell slots and 6 HP isn't that much. Its not enough for me to spend a spells slot on yet, so its all good.
Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm
Any results on Grizel's Divine Sense yet? What time of day was it when we were attacked by wolves, and what time is it currently? Also, my questions in my previous post on this thread :-)
Jul 16, 2015 5:41 pm
Apologies. I missed that. I will post the results shortly. Most are aware of undead, even if only in stories, but none are aware of vampires. Strahd is the first vampire. It was early afternoon then but late afternoon now
Jul 16, 2015 6:20 pm
Oops, cross posted. Didn't see the Divine Sense result. Changing my action, if I may.
Jul 17, 2015 3:52 pm
For future combats, it might not matter this time, but I have updated my initiative score on my character sheet, to include the 'alert' feat. Not sure why I didn't include the score in there earlier...
Jul 17, 2015 3:54 pm
Quote:
Alastor's stats belong to Grizel
Warhorse stats are on Grizel's character sheet in the Items section. Those stats were copied directly from the rulebook. For HP it says "19 (3d10+3)" so should I roll or do we go with 19?
Last edited July 17, 2015 4:01 pm
Jul 18, 2015 6:55 am
I would say roll for each summon but I'll leave it up to you. Oops! Didn't notice alert. That's quite an advantage
Jul 18, 2015 7:15 am
Biscuitfiend says:
I would say roll for each summon but I'll leave it up to you. Oops! Didn't notice alert. That's quite an advantage
Suits me just fine :-)
Jul 18, 2015 4:08 pm
Might not be posting regularly for a day or two. Will see
Jul 20, 2015 4:18 pm
I have a question about spell slots: Grizel's readied action is casting Bane at Level 2 (allows for 4 targets instead of the 3 that Level 1 allows). But now that a single worg has shown itself (triggering the readied action) is it possible to cast at Level 1 instead? Or is it "touch move"? I'm ok with either, just want to know what my options are.

With a readied action like Grizel's spell and Sundar's crossbow shot, is that already our action for round 1 or do we still get to act?

Argh I should have taken a closer look at that battle formation! Then I would have suggested Grizel moving to a position more protective of Faelor! Would that be ok, Biscuitfiend (for next time)? Suggesting changes to the battle formation after you've posted it, I mean?
Last edited July 20, 2015 4:41 pm
Jul 20, 2015 4:23 pm
My guess would be that the readied action was to cast the spell and up until that point nothing is set in stone
Jul 20, 2015 5:19 pm
From PHB: "When you ready a spell, you cast it as normal but hold its energy, which you release with your reaction when the trigger occurs. To be readied, a spell must have a casting time of 1 action, and holding onto the spell’s magic requires concentration (explained in chapter 10). If your concentration is broken, the spell dissipates without taking effect."

Since you have already 'cast' the spell, you are stuck at level 2. Of course, it depends on the initiative order as to whether you'll benefit from that extra target (I guess that's one of the difficulties of battling in the mist! Unfortunately you have to be able to 'see' your targets, and they are not visible yet.) I've been sneaky with the hidden rolls so that the situation is unclear, both to you and your foe(s).

When it reaches your turn, I'll auto cast it on whatever wolves you can see (let's say 30ft approx vision for this combat) so that the spell is not wasted. You can also release the spell any time before then.
Jul 20, 2015 5:29 pm
Makes sense :-) Thanks!
Jul 20, 2015 5:33 pm
Also, nice use of spell component! (drop of blood - only just noticed).
Jul 21, 2015 7:47 am
Grizel used a little bit more blood than necessary, but yeah! :-D
Jul 21, 2015 12:51 pm
Biscuitfiend, a question you asked in another game prompts me to ask you: in this game which optional rules (if any) are you implementing? Shove Aside? Overrun? Disarm? Massive Damage? etc? Thanks! :-)
Jul 21, 2015 1:13 pm
Yes to shove aside, disarm, and flanking. I may consider massive damage, what are your thoughts?
Jul 21, 2015 3:10 pm
Does Alastor get to attack on Grizel's turn? :-) I'm thinking a Trampling Charge is in order.
Last edited July 21, 2015 3:16 pm
Jul 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Massive damage could be fun. Until it happens to me :p
Jul 21, 2015 3:39 pm
I personally like the massive damage rules. But I do understand it's an added complication.
Jul 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Yes you can co-ordinate your attacks with Alastor - I can override you but from the spell description you basically have control of your summon. Lets go with massive damage rules:

MASSIVE DAMAGE
This optional rule makes it easier for a creature to be felled by massive damage.

When a creature takes damage from a single source equal to or greater than half its hit point maximum, it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer a random effect determined by a roll on the System Shock table. For example a creature that has a hit point maximum of 30 must make that Constitution save if it takes 15 damage or more from a single source.

SYSTEM SHOCK
1d10

1 The creature drops to 0 hit points.

2—3 The creature drops to 0 hit points but is stable.

4—5 The creature is stunned until the end of its next turn.

6-7 The creature can't take reactions and has disadvantage an attack rolls and ability checks until the end of its next turn.

8-10 The creature can’t take reactions until the end of its next turn.

I also use optional diagonal rules (5/10/5/10 etc.)
Jul 22, 2015 12:16 am
I'm not familiar enough with the rules to understand this part. If I move away from an attacking creature and try to attack, do I provoke an attack of opportunity? I know I can disengage, but can I attack during the same turn?
Jul 22, 2015 12:37 am
Disengage and Attack are both standard actions so no you wouldn't be able to do them in the same round. You only provoke an attack if you move out of a creature's threatened range meaning you can move around within the threatened range without incurring a penalty.
Jul 22, 2015 8:41 am
Wow Alastor I'm impressed! LOL! :-D
Jul 22, 2015 10:49 am
Find Steed makes Paladin 10x better. Lol
Jul 22, 2015 10:50 am
Would it be possible to indicate on the mini which one is worg 1, worg 3, etc? If it's a hassle then no biggie :-) Thanks!
Jul 22, 2015 11:38 am
That's hassle, it's not possible in the program yet. Probably best to refer to them by location so I may do so more often
Jul 22, 2015 4:44 pm
Are any of the Worgs dead yet?
Jul 22, 2015 5:03 pm
We need to concentrate our offense. Grizel hasn't done anything but the Bane spell yet. On her turn she'll fight her way towards Ireena & Iskandil.
Jul 22, 2015 6:07 pm
I thought I was tobe honest. I thought that I would have done enough damage, combined with Iskandil to drop the first after my crit. If it's not dead after this sneak attack we're in for one doozy of a fight, especially if that Worg 6 notation was no accident.
Jul 22, 2015 7:03 pm
Yeah I was going to say something like "Grizel heeds Katerina's call for a more coordinated offense..."

Didn't Alastor take one of these suckers out? Can't be all that tough then.
Jul 22, 2015 7:55 pm
HP is rolled so they vary! Some are tough suckers while others not so much
Jul 22, 2015 8:06 pm
That was my other thought. The way you were having everyone roll mount hp I suspected something like that too. Best to kill them til they're dead then I guess.
Jul 23, 2015 10:31 am
Everyone except Grizel and Alastor can go home now!
Jul 27, 2015 3:26 pm
Yeah, Grizel hasn't got a mind for intrigue. She's a simple girl with muscles and anger management issues. I'd also say she isn't really devoted to any deity. Her oath is more of a personal vendetta, and her "holy symbol" is really an amulet she took off the neck of her adoptive father's corpse as a keepsake. Maybe some god of retribution is showing her some favor whether she knows it or not and that explains the spells.
Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm
There won't be a shortage of deadly encounters!
Jul 28, 2015 5:06 pm
It would be uncharacteristic of Grizel so I'm suggesting this as a player: short/long rest here/now?
Jul 29, 2015 4:25 pm
It seems like a natural opportunity to take a rest, short or long. GM, where are we at as far as time of day, in game? I expect we'll want to get a short rest in before night comes, what with all this talk of Vampyrs.
Jul 29, 2015 11:05 pm
Grizel has burned all but 1 spell slot. Her Smite ability will be unavailable til a long rest. She'll want to continue regardless but just FYI :-)

She can Lay On Hands if anyone needs it :-)
Aug 4, 2015 7:58 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
"It is no man you have let in, but I, your grand host, Strahd von Zarovich!!
HOLYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIT!!!!
Aug 4, 2015 7:59 pm
My thoughts exactly... Time to load up some silver bolts. And change my pants.
Aug 4, 2015 9:02 pm
Seems I posted a bit later than I should have/meant to. Could just change it to my action however you like.
Aug 4, 2015 9:09 pm
Hi gang. Sorry to vanish on you like I did. I stepped on my phone on Wendsday. Then I had agh-Con going on so I didn't get to post like I thought. So I'm back and ready to "deal" with Srahd I guess. I noticed Lysander doesn't have initiative though. So I will wait a little while to post but if nothing changes I'll just jump in.
Aug 4, 2015 9:17 pm
Lysander is at the top! Again...haha

Don't forget Faelor gets 3 missiles

I thought gencon (and the recent bug) might have had something to do with it
Aug 4, 2015 9:20 pm
Wow...so sorry. I missed it. I'm not sure what is wrong with my eyes. I looked three times before I posted.
Aug 4, 2015 9:21 pm
Oh crap, didn't realize there were 3 missiles. Thanks!
Aug 4, 2015 9:22 pm
I just made an inhuman amount of rolls on the thread so you can be forgiven
Aug 5, 2015 5:36 am
I'll hold off posting until I see Strahd's action
Aug 5, 2015 3:55 pm
1. Can one occupy the same space as a bat swarm or move through it?

2. And I've forgotten the 5e rules for moving through friendly space.

3. Can Grizel and Alastor share space without her mounting?

4. You said before that you would implement flanking rules. How does flanking work in 5e?

Maybe I should have waited for the answers to the above before I posted Grizel's action because they do have bearing.
Last edited August 5, 2015 4:39 pm
Aug 5, 2015 4:33 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
1. Can one occupy the same space as a bat swarm or move through it?

2. And I've forgotten the 5e rules for moving through friendly space.

3. Can Grizel and Alastor share space without her mounting?
1. yes, any creature can enter it's space and vice versa but it costs double movement to move through

2. you can move through an ally's space but not end your movement there (in both cases it's difficult terrain so takes double movement to move through it)

3. I rule that you can 'share' space with another creature if you really want to but both parties use the rules for squeezing (disadvantage on DEX saves, attacks rolls, advantage when being attacked). Normally you can't enter another creature's space is it needs that room to fight effectively

The rules aren't really that clear on it (if you're reading this, Crawford and Mearls, you suck at writing clear rulings!). Does moving straight through a medium creature cost an extra 5ft or 10ft? Large creature 10ft or 15ft? I'm not sure but I'd guess the latter number each time as you have to move into and out of the space. But moving into bats would cost 10ft, and moving into more bats from those bats would cost another 10ft or 20ft on a second diagonal
Aug 5, 2015 4:38 pm
Thanks for the clarifications, Biscuitfiend! Sorry, I edited my post while you were answering, so you didn't catch my 4th question.
Jabesplays.RPG says:
4. You said before that you would implement flanking rules. How does flanking work in 5e?

Maybe I should have waited for the answers to the above before I posted Grizel's action because they do have bearing.
Last edited August 5, 2015 4:38 pm
Aug 5, 2015 8:09 pm
If you are on opposite sides of a foe, you get advantage on the attack roll
Aug 8, 2015 8:50 pm
Could we get an update on the battle map by chance?
Aug 9, 2015 12:06 am
I have no idea what's going on. We were attacking and then he just waltz right in? Faelor will stand there bemused for now.
Aug 9, 2015 2:23 am
unique_exemplar says:
I have no idea what's going on. We were attacking and then he just waltz right in? Faelor will stand there bemused for now.
I thought it would be obvious from both the rolls (see Grizel's low Wis save) and the roleplay (her abrupt and inexplicable change in demeanor) that she's been CHARMED. If it's not obvious then I didn't roleplay effectively. I've edited my post so the narration pretty much spells it out. If we're separating player knowledge from character knowledge and we're saying the adventurers are unfamiliar with Charm Person then maybe the spellcasters can get a 5e equivalent of a spellcraft check or something? If the party has adventured together before then they do know Grizel hates tyranny, and she has also said it several times already this adventure but even if they knew absolutely nothing about her I imagine the spellcasters would be able to sense when magical compulsion is at work.
Last edited August 9, 2015 5:27 am
Aug 9, 2015 7:24 am
Image uploads not working, will try again later! The only things that have moved are bats (lower swarm down onto sindar) and strahd (where bats moved from)
Aug 9, 2015 2:36 pm
If that's the case, and since Katerina hasn't actually acted yet in the initiative order, can I change my attacks? Or at least at whom they are directed?
Aug 9, 2015 8:26 pm
Yes, you can change any time! Pre-posting is just for convenience
Aug 10, 2015 11:04 am
(Be mindful that I normally update the IN order on an older post, as long as it is on the current page, and will re-post at the start of every turn or if a new page is created. Katerina - it's your turn)
Aug 10, 2015 1:53 pm
Sorry I went back and edited my older post. I am simply switching targets. I can reroll attacks if you would like.
Last edited August 10, 2015 1:54 pm
Aug 10, 2015 3:06 pm
I forgot to check your post. Oops. No need to re-roll, Strahd deserves to be hit for once!
Aug 10, 2015 3:48 pm
So, I thought Charm Person was concentration. I was soooooo wrong. Anyway, does someone have dispel magic of any sort so that our paladin can rejoin us? That or maybe we push her into a wolf?
Aug 10, 2015 3:56 pm
An eventful combat so far. Up to Faelor's turn.

I think Grizel is happy with being charmed. Perhaps she would prefer to be left alone?
Aug 10, 2015 5:55 pm
Quote:
I think Grizel is happy with being charmed. Perhaps she would prefer to be left alone?
I say we trust the DM on this one . . . wait a minute what am I saying?
Aug 10, 2015 8:09 pm
Trust me, you DO NOT want initiative to cycle back to Grizel while she's charmed now that you've attacked her friend! ;-)
Aug 11, 2015 4:35 am
Lysander does have Dispel Magic prepared. Would there need to be some kind of knowledge check to identify the charm affect Strahd has put on Grizel? Arcana or religion maybe?You said the powers of a vampire are more or less unknown to us as a whole, so he sees she is acting wiered, but The why and would he know thAt Dispel Magic might have a chance?
Aug 12, 2015 10:24 am
None of this information is available to you. But magic is magic - give it a try. The only question that dispel magic asks is the level of the opposing spell
Aug 12, 2015 6:52 pm
I am literally biting my nails wondering if Lysander has successfully dispelled the charm on Grizel! Actually, I've been anxious about this whole charmed condition going on 4 days now! :-D
Last edited August 12, 2015 6:54 pm
Aug 12, 2015 11:14 pm
For some reason, I've stopped getting email notification over the last few days. Gonna try re-subscribing to get that back. Also, seems like Strahd's behavior threw me off of what was happening. Sorry about that.
Last edited August 12, 2015 11:28 pm
Aug 13, 2015 4:32 am
I'm delaying posting Grizel and Alastor's actions until Strahd has taken his. Thankfully Grizel is no longer charmed so I won't be forced to attack the party :-)
Aug 14, 2015 10:43 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Grizel is about to defend Strahd when Lysander breaks the vampyr's hold on the paladin. She sees Sindar bleeding out at her feet ut there is nothing she can do for him right now except
This doesn't sound promising for Sindar!
Aug 14, 2015 11:52 am
Haha! No, I was still writing that up but pressed Save by mistake. Then I lost my connection. The post has been updated now. Unless I used Lay On Hands wrong, Sindar is now back to 21hp :-)

EDIT: Actually. I MAY have gotten that wrong. I've gotten so used to attacking twice that I used Lay On Hands and one attack. I may have to change my post. Sorry, Grendel, but it's not like Grizel to heal in the heat of battle, especially when she's pissed off about having been charmed. The best she can do for Sindar is grapple Strahd and put some distance between Sindar & Strahd :-(
Last edited August 14, 2015 12:03 pm
Aug 14, 2015 12:01 pm
You healed for 17HP in your post?

Unfortunately, Lay on Hands takes your action so you can't attack, (LoH does not count as an attack action for the sake of multiattack), but of course Alastor can still hoof away. It's a shame cus you had that critical roll!
Aug 14, 2015 12:04 pm
Yeah I realized my mistake (see my edit above). So is it cool if we remove the LoH, use the existing attack rolls for my usual 2 attacks, and use the bonus attack as a Grapple to move Strahd away from Sindar?
Last edited August 14, 2015 12:08 pm
Aug 14, 2015 12:09 pm
I'm confused, what action are you taking? Attack, heal or grapple?
Aug 14, 2015 12:10 pm
No healing. Attacking twice and using the 3rd attack (bonus generated by the crit) to grapple. Is that ok?
Last edited August 14, 2015 12:11 pm
Aug 14, 2015 12:23 pm
Yes that makes sense!
Aug 14, 2015 12:36 pm
I added your grapple roll for you - it worked!
Aug 14, 2015 12:49 pm
Oops, I rolled as well (cross posted) :-)
Aug 14, 2015 3:27 pm
How far down the hallway was Grizel able to move Strahd? She pushed him towards Lysander. Damn, I wish I still had spell slots available!
Last edited August 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Aug 14, 2015 4:44 pm
I missed that, I think it would have been impossible to move by the rules. To move him, your speed would be halved to 15'. To move through your allies, it costs an extra 5' of movement per ally, meaning you could only move 1 space, and all the spaces are filled!
Aug 14, 2015 5:20 pm
Oh damn. The entire point of the grapple was to protect Sindar by moving Strahd away. Otherwise she would have just attacked normally. Well that's my fault for miscalculating move speed.

Also, I hate to be that guy but as I understand the grappling rules, the grappler isn't given the grappled condition. Only the target of the grapple is. If you're houseruling it to be more like 3rd Edition, then ok. Just want to make sure it isn't just a mix-up :-)
Aug 14, 2015 5:51 pm
You being grappled is a consequence of Strahd's unarmed attack (he can choose grapple instead of damage). You are 'wrestling'!
Aug 14, 2015 6:00 pm
Ok, gotcha! :-)
Aug 14, 2015 6:05 pm
By exactly how much does Strahd's bite lower max hp?
Aug 14, 2015 6:31 pm
Equal to the necrotic damage taken (3d6)
Aug 14, 2015 6:33 pm
(be aware that there is no 'permament' loss of HP or levels in 5e)
Aug 14, 2015 7:49 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
(be aware that there is no 'permament' loss of HP or levels in 5e)
Good to know! LOL! :-D
Aug 16, 2015 9:21 am
Um, when did I cat lightning bolt? I was considering it for next action, but I don't remember posting that.
Aug 16, 2015 9:29 am
I thought you had disappeared. You are welcome to change the action now you are here
Aug 16, 2015 9:31 am
Sorry, I kinda had disappeared. For some reason my email notifications kept going to the spam folder and I hadn't noticed. I'm fine with that being my action. I didn't realize it was my turn.
Aug 16, 2015 10:12 am
Ahh, never mind. I loathe email notifications, they are unreliable
Aug 16, 2015 10:18 am
Lol I rely on any notifications I can get.
Aug 16, 2015 10:59 am
Check your HP - I think you are nearly down
Aug 16, 2015 12:33 pm
Looks like I've been hit twice for a total of 15 damage. 8 hp remaining.
Aug 16, 2015 5:17 pm
I just noticed you rolled for will magic. I wasn't sure when you'd want me th roll for that or if you'd roll that yourself. I'm kinda excited to see what happens when/if a wild surge happens
Aug 16, 2015 5:55 pm
The PHB says I can make the 5% chance roll happen when you cast a spell L1 or higher. Of course, you are welcome to abuse TIDES OF FATE, which promote chaos all around :p
Aug 16, 2015 6:08 pm
Lol I figured it would be required when I used a sorcery point and whenever you felt it was necessary/fun. That's cool! I'm all for a but of random chance surge fun :-P
Aug 16, 2015 6:10 pm
Wild magic is awesome! :-D
Aug 16, 2015 8:36 pm
I envision this campaign ending with fireball to self...
Aug 16, 2015 8:41 pm
That happened to my players at a con I was DMing at. It was a glorious, glorious fireball that got the entire party.
Aug 16, 2015 8:43 pm
Ha! If that happens, I accept fate's fickleness.
Aug 17, 2015 3:38 am
Biscuitfiend says:
because Sindar is dying, he cannot be used to flank. There doesn't seem to be a way to get advantage with the current placements so I'll take first rolls
Alastor is flanking with Grizel & Lysander, not Sindar. But I'm sure you posted that for Katerina's benefit. But maybe any advantage Alastor may have gained from flanking is cancelled out by disadvantage from attempting to attack into the grapple?

In any case, I think the wolf bite has finished the summoned steed. He disappears in a flash of light.
Last edited August 17, 2015 3:39 am
Aug 17, 2015 3:58 am
Yeah, I didn't realize he was dying. It's OK, looks like we're finally doing some damage.

Are the Spirit Guardians still going?
Aug 17, 2015 8:02 am
Grizel is flanking, katerina is not. The wolf failed to kill alastor because of the SGs - I realised afterwards that I forgot to roll damage for the wolf at the start of this turn. SGs is insane!
Aug 20, 2015 2:48 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Strahd pulls Grizel close like an expert ballroom dancer, draining life blood from her veins, and she drops to the floor.
I might be wrong (please check) but I think Grizel still has 7hp left after getting hit by Strahd's latest attack. Grizel's action last round was Lay on Hands on herself, bringing her up from 3hp to 18hp. http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/704/?p=17783#p17783
Last edited August 20, 2015 2:49 pm
Aug 20, 2015 4:17 pm
You may be correct - I checked on your character sheet and it said 3HP. OK - so grizel is up (still grappling each other), all other actions are unchanged.

After this fight, I'll keep a record of all PC HPs along with the monsters so I don't get confused!
Aug 20, 2015 4:23 pm
That was my fault: I forgot to update the character sheet after the LoH!
Aug 20, 2015 4:23 pm
No problem, It's your turn after Faelor has changed targets
Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm
Grizel has dropped. Death saves next round, right?

BTW she wasn't grappling Strahd anymore. She had to let go to attack with her 2-handed weapon ;-)
Last edited August 21, 2015 1:39 pm
Aug 22, 2015 6:57 am
For some reason I forgot it was 2h. That would be correct!
Aug 23, 2015 4:52 pm
Is Alastor still alive? He would have acted on Grizel's turn.
Aug 24, 2015 4:45 pm
Yes - you rolled for his hooves attack. They missed :) disappears if you die I think
Aug 24, 2015 5:19 pm
Right :-) What I meant was, Grizel & Alastor acted together in her final round of consciousness, and then the round after that Grizel fails her first death save but no action from Alastor. And now we're at the top of a new round. :-)On Grizel's initiative we should see her 2nd death save and what should be Alastor's 2nd independent action. :-)
Last edited August 25, 2015 10:49 am
Aug 28, 2015 11:55 am
I'm not very familiar with Greyhawk. Does its cosmology include the Nine Hells and/or the Abyss?
Last edited August 28, 2015 11:56 am
Aug 28, 2015 1:27 pm
It certainly does, it's on the Greyhawk wiki. Setting isn't hugely important unless we leave Barovia I guess
Aug 29, 2015 12:16 am
Good point. I wanted to make sure it would make sense if I referenced those planes. Thanks.
Aug 29, 2015 1:08 pm
I believe Grizel has zero successful death saves and two failed ones. One more failure and she dies, right?

Assuming somebody stabilizes her and she's eventually revived: She's at zero HP, obviously, but I've lost track of what her current max HP is. Strahd bit her 3 or 4 times, I think, lowering her max HP each time.
Aug 29, 2015 2:29 pm
39 Should be your max

Yes you are quite close to dying unfortunately - hopefully someone will save you or you roll a lucky save!
Aug 29, 2015 2:49 pm
Would I be able to append myself to the round order and come in to try and stabilize the person, or do you want to plot hook me in?
Aug 29, 2015 2:51 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
39 Should be your max
Oh I thought the necro damage was temporarily lowering her max hp.
Quote:
Yes you are quite close to dying unfortunately - hopefully someone will save you or you roll a lucky save!
Well the party cleric is standing right next to me LOL!

Or should I roll up a new PC already? :-P
Last edited August 29, 2015 2:56 pm
Sep 1, 2015 3:11 pm
I'm glad Grizel is not dead. That was close! :-D So then: all abilities and hp regained? Is Alastor still with us or will I need to recast Find Steed?
Sep 4, 2015 4:46 am
Hey Buiscuitfiend, what are the rules, or would you deem are the rules, for learning a language. Victor is intrigued by the abyssal, he would like to see if he can, over time, learn the dialect from hearing Justice, and possibly teach her better common.

EDIT:
Sorry, finally found it. I thought I had seen this in the player manual before. Here is what the PHB says.

Training:
You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your DM might allow additional training options. First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you.

The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.

The training lasts for 250 days and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.

Unsure if you would still rule the 1gp per day cost since we are in the same party, or if either of us are considered willing instructors, just wondering if my character can learn it.
Last edited September 4, 2015 4:50 am
Sep 4, 2015 4:55 am
Oops, my post was meant to go immediately after the tiefling spoke, but I guess I took too much time composing it :-D
Sep 4, 2015 4:59 am
Your character has also made my list of languages to learn with that outburst. Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to teach it to me, you don't seem to understand it yourself. :)
Sep 4, 2015 4:59 am
Gah, sorry, double posted and can't delete them.
Last edited September 4, 2015 5:00 am
Sep 4, 2015 5:18 am
PhantomNimbus says:
Your character has also made my list of languages to learn with that outburst. Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to teach it to me, you don't seem to understand it yourself. :)
Haha yeah, I didn't make the language selection until almost a month after Grizel was created, mainly because nothing really fit her story. When I put Celestial in I still wasn't sure how I was going to work it in. She isn't really devoted to any deity. Her oath is more of a personal vendetta, and her "holy symbol" is really an amulet she took off the neck of her adoptive father's corpse as a keepsake. Maybe some god of retribution is showing her some favor whether she knows it or not and that explains the spells/smite/LoH.
Sep 4, 2015 7:01 am
Biscuitfiend says:
Alastor is alive, at full health, but hungry and thirsty. Nutrition is needed for him to retain material form, but he can go hungry for a while.
I'm saying Grizel fed and watered Alastor before leaving the Indrirovich mansion. Also, because Find Steed will probably not be needed today, Grizel prepared Aid instead during her morning meditation.
Last edited September 4, 2015 7:05 am
Sep 4, 2015 1:57 pm
How are you feeding Alastor - rations?
Sep 4, 2015 2:49 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
How are you feeding Alastor - rations?
I thought Ireena had straw for them. I went back through the thread and it seems I was mistaken. All she had was loose straw bedding. Oh well, Alastor is hungry then.
Sep 4, 2015 5:19 pm
Yeah, horses eat hay and grains. Rations they would go through like 10 a day. There should be someone in town that has a few leaves of hay and a pound of oats for sale. Oats are like crack to horses.
Sep 4, 2015 5:43 pm
@teaanddice, huge props for the way you are playing Justice. I really REALLY appreciate when players take communication difficulties built into PCs to the next level and really own it.
Sep 4, 2015 7:38 pm
Yes, I hope to find something for Alastor in town. Depends what state Barovia is in I guess.

I really like the new characters too! Glad to have you guys on board.

I'm going away for the weekend, so will be unable to post. NPC Grizel, I guess. She can stay in a pensive mood. I'd like to be present for combat but if necessary, Biscuitfiend knows Grizel's style by now. Thanks!
Sep 4, 2015 8:18 pm
Candi says:
@teaanddice, huge props for the way you are playing Justice. I really REALLY appreciate when players take communication difficulties built into PCs to the next level and really own it.
Thank you. I have been waiting to play Justice for quite some time. Even though, I had no idea Grizel was a Paladin who spoke Celestial. That will add a lot to Justice's interaction with the group. A Human paladin who speaks Celestial and a Tiefling Sorcerer who speaks Infernal Baator (and little else). I think this is going to be great.
Sep 4, 2015 8:32 pm
Yes, it will be very interesting indeed! Justice has nothing to fear from Grizel though. She's not one of those holy-warrior type paladins. She's just a regular girl who's been through some bad times. It just so happens she's a beast with that greatsword of hers. We'll see where the whole celestial deal takes us. :-)

Here's Grizel's story.
Sep 4, 2015 8:33 pm
Hey hey you two, careful now. No mixing player and character knowledge. :P
Sep 4, 2015 8:37 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Hey hey you two, careful now. No mixing player and character knowledge. :P
No danger of that from me :-) And from what I've seen of teaandice's roleplaying, no danger of meta-gaming there either. But thanks for the reminder. :-)
Sep 4, 2015 8:39 pm
I really need to warn myself of that. This is the first game I've played. I've always GMed so far, even off the site. It will be hard not to look at the bigger picture all the time.
Sep 4, 2015 8:51 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
I really need to warn myself of that. This is the first game I've played. I've always GMed so far, even off the site. It will be hard not to look at the bigger picture all the time.
Haha, yep. Literally same here. Before GP I've only ever DMd. Ever. It's tough way to start out, but in the end it's worth it. Seperating player and character knowledge is hard, especially since I'm always interest in the world and exploring, learning lore, but my characters are rarely like that.
Last edited September 4, 2015 8:53 pm
Sep 4, 2015 9:00 pm
I'm typically a GM, and to speak honestly and frankly, I never care if players "mix" knowledge.

It's never worth it to police (because doing so requires you to call players out for 'meta-gaming' and then I feel like a jerk for accusing a player of something, they feel like a jerk for stepping over a line in the sand, and everyone at the table feels awkward because now they have started thinking about what the player just said and are worried about that clouding their previous thoughts.. you can't go back, but the accusation forces everyone to try and pretend the thought never happened).

It requires players to complete excessive mental gymnastics (which you two, suddenly finding yourselves as players, are discovering first hand how awkward those gymnastics are). I'd rather focus mental processing on imagining the scene than on trying to keep separate two bodies of knowledge. Also, it makes players afraid to get into character for fear of getting it 'wrong'. If this is being enforced then getting it 'wrong' entails social awkwardness, which many players want to avoid. This is extra strange when you think about it, because it's the player who made the character so why does the GM get to decide what that character does and doesn't know? Which leads to the last point...

No character is so fully detailed that all aspects of their life and all things that they could be said to know can be specified. Which is to say, you can't specify all of the knowledge your character has and so how can you be expected to keep it separate from another source of knowledge. These characters didn't just appear here in this little town as blank slates, they have histories, exploits and backgrounds which are at best vaguely filled in.

... Sorry for the rant, it's apparently a soft spot for me.
Sep 4, 2015 9:00 pm
In my last post I was just about to have my character call you justice and then I looked back and I'm like, oh, she never actually said her name. I don't probably know it yet. I also said your character didn't say anything to me the whole walk since we had met, so I certainly wouldn't know it.
Sep 4, 2015 9:05 pm
... to add to that, "mistakes" (like knowing a character's name when, by all lights your character couldn't have known) can be an open door to unforeseen characterization. Those cases are great, because someone says "you couldn't have known that! How did you know?!" and the right response (in my view) is not to say "oops, lets rewind and make that not have happened" but to embrace it, take the first lesson of improv to heard, say "yes and..." -- maybe your character IS aware of the other character's past and origin in a bit more detail than has been let on.

Then again, this approach reflects some of my GMing style (that not everyone is comfortable with, and I get that and I'm not about to argue that my way is the right or best way -- I'm opposed to policing other people's fun), and requires a certain agreement between all players that fine details about your character's past are up for revision on the basis of other character's actions. Again, that's a style thing that you (and your players) need to be comfortable with.
Sep 4, 2015 9:07 pm
Very true, that is also the style of DMing I try and do. Yes and.
Sep 4, 2015 9:08 pm
I agree, I was going to build off what Victor said about meeting and was going to add you knew my name, but I didn't find the oppurtunity to introduce Justice to the group.
Sep 5, 2015 12:55 am
PhantomNimbus, I love the way you're role-playing Victor. Have you ever heard of the infamous gnome Jan Jansen of Amn, from the pc game Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn?
Sep 5, 2015 1:02 am
I have not but I've had this character idea for a while. Being my first time playing I've thought a lot about playing. :)
Sep 5, 2015 1:23 am
I've never played a gnome, but now I think that'll be my next character. That is, if I'm ever able to come up with those wonder quips.
Sep 5, 2015 2:50 pm
Sweet RP'ing. Everyone has inspiration now.

Feed for animals is 5cp per day which is weirdly cheap compared to rations, which I assume consists of cured or energy-dense foods. It won't be hard to get as there are other animals here, but I can imagine a horse eating a ton of rations
Sep 8, 2015 11:47 am
Did the gypsy give me the pipe as I left as a gift, or did I read that wrong?
Sep 8, 2015 11:59 am
You have the pipe, and it is still lit. It doesn't seem like he'd care if you took it
Sep 11, 2015 12:37 pm
I think Zinnarath and Victor are at the start of a great buddy cop movie. By the end of this we will be great partners, but for now Zinnarath keeps just saying "I work alone".
Last edited September 11, 2015 12:39 pm
Sep 11, 2015 1:02 pm
Even though Grizel says she'll go it alone if need be I've been trying not to play her as the "I work alone" type. When Zinnarath first showed up I foresaw a bit of personality clash (as if we didn't already have something going on between Grizel and Kat). For the moment it's been softened because I'm roleplaying Grizel as going through some sort of a crisis of clarity, trying to regain her focus. We'll see how things unfold as we go along :-D
Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Is biscuit still running this?
Sep 16, 2015 8:30 am
I was waiting for someone to choose a path. Continue to follow the misty road, or head back to the fork and take the other road. Ireena is unsure which leads upwards
Sep 16, 2015 9:50 am
Well then, let's get that party on the road shall we? (in particular the misty road, because we're already there.. at least, that's Zinn's rationale)
Sep 18, 2015 10:50 pm
What a perfect way to start things off, once again.
Last edited September 18, 2015 10:50 pm
Sep 20, 2015 6:01 pm
Hi! Sorry, been AFK for the past couple of days. Time to play catch up! :-) Thanks!
Sep 24, 2015 5:39 am
Sorry for lagging behind in posts... been having an insanely busy week. And that's really saying something, as I am someone for whom a 100-hour workweek is routine and unremarkable!
Sep 24, 2015 2:41 pm
No problem. I have been busy too. But not nearly as busy as that. Ouch!
Oct 2, 2015 1:09 pm
Apologies to all - my other half has been in hospital all week and so I haven't been able to keep up on here - will resume shortly. Thanks
Oct 2, 2015 6:00 pm
Oh wow, sorry to hear that, man! Yeah do what you gotta do. Family is more important. Best of luck!
Oct 10, 2015 2:35 pm
Just a reminder that Grizel is taking Alastor with her (and staying mounted) as long as it's still practical.
Oct 10, 2015 9:43 pm
Noted - I've updated my own map for the next time I post it :)
Oct 13, 2015 2:01 pm
That chamber with the giant spiderweb looks interesting LOL!

Hey Biscuit, would it be possible to have on each map an indication of compass directions or even just North? I know the map orientation changes so it's not always Up = North. If it's possible then that would be really helpful. Thanks!
Oct 13, 2015 11:04 pm
Wait, if the room looks like it's been untouched for centuries, has the dead cleric been there just as long? I don't think I'd see a face on a centuries old corpse.
Oct 14, 2015 9:45 pm
The cleric is certainly a mystery, perhaps the greatest in all of Ravenloft.

Last time you made a request about my maps I said no, and then an update made it possible. Can it happen again?!
Oct 15, 2015 5:45 am
I'll wait for Victor's reaction to what happened to Nightshade before I post Grizel's reaction to that.
Oct 15, 2015 6:11 am
I'm sorry, I misread and thought that only Zinn saw the movement up on the balcony. Grizel would have reacted to it instantly, at the same time that Zinn alerts the rest of the party. How high up is that balcony? Is it 30ft or less? I intend to Misty Step up there.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:55 am
Oct 15, 2015 7:51 am
Were those attack rolls against us?
Oct 15, 2015 8:04 am
Grizel can't see it, but the balcony is 50ft up. (Huge distance between each floor). The creature spent a whole turn coming down the wall (rolled 26 on stealth) and also won initiative. The creature was visible to all after the surprise round, and everyone may act on initiative
Oct 15, 2015 8:05 am
I also forgot to give Zin some info - will post shortly
Oct 15, 2015 10:02 am
Cool! I'll post in an hour or two. I have to run some errands, and I've only got my iPad which isn't very easy to post with. Time to see that swashbuckling in action!
Oct 15, 2015 10:43 pm
What is initiative for this combat?
Oct 15, 2015 10:52 pm
I haven't posted it but the rolls are there. It's a pain to do on the phone.
Oct 16, 2015 12:42 am
I just helped you out. :)
Oct 19, 2015 6:53 am
We're in for a long wait, because themightykobold isn't online very often anymore.
Oct 19, 2015 8:11 am
Feel free to post before your turn. If I have waiting posts I can skip/take a player's turn if they are not posting
Oct 19, 2015 10:27 am
Oh good. Being last in the initiative can be a really long wait.
Oct 19, 2015 10:38 am
To minimize this problem in my games I run combat as "monster v player" initiative blocks, and during the player block players act in whatever order they post in. Once there is only one player left, if I have time, I'll post the monster round and then that player will get a double turn. Keeps the game going at a good pace through combat (I think it also encourages more regular checking-in, but I couldn't say for sure).
Oct 19, 2015 11:00 am
Are you ok with intelligence checks to see if we know what this creature is or to know anything about it? For example, if it were a troll, would it be common knowledge or a roll that it takes fire or acid to do any real damage to it?
Oct 19, 2015 11:24 am
unique_exemplar says:
Oh good. Being last in the initiative can be a really long wait.
Yeah, tell me about it! I seem to be last in initiative in ALL of my games at the moment! :-D
Last edited October 19, 2015 11:25 am
Oct 19, 2015 12:05 pm
Candi, I've started using a similar system that I found in End of the World. I choose which "side" of a confrontation gets starting initiative then each "side" in the combat gets a round. I haven't done any sort of interspersed version but it still does work well for forum posting.
Oct 19, 2015 2:37 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Are you ok with intelligence checks to see if we know what this creature is or to know anything about it? For example, if it were a troll, would it be common knowledge or a roll that it takes fire or acid to do any real damage to it?
Absolutely, it's basically stipulated in the PHB. Of course there are things that are impossible or even harder/easier to know, depending on your character's background. Such ability checks generally take an action though
Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm
I'm not sure about IN yet. I find the speed initiative tempting for play-by-post play. You choose an action and roll initiative each round. Each action has a 'speed factor' modifier to it (spells/heavy weapons are slower, light weapons fast)

The 'side initiative' is convenient and fast, I may use it in the future if we are waiting too much for posts.

I would encourage players to post early if they can. Thanks for your thoughts
Oct 25, 2015 11:39 am
Sorry that took so long folks. If I'm ever holding things up and it's been a day, I probably saw the post and didn't reply to it then forgot.
Oct 25, 2015 2:43 pm
Been there done that
Oct 25, 2015 2:52 pm
Same. It's worse when I do it as the GM. :)
Oct 30, 2015 5:07 pm
So, we're waiting on others to continue?
Oct 30, 2015 5:13 pm
Oh geez, it's my turn now. I never got a notification that we skipped Justice. I'll post up a turn in a bit. We should update general discussion of someone is going to be skipped like that so it sends a new notification. :)
Oct 31, 2015 6:38 am
After Victor's latest turn how high in the air is this thing floating? And do we have any indication how badly wounded it is? Non-magical weapons appear to be having little effect, no?
Nov 16, 2015 11:52 am
Hi all, apologies for my inactivity. I hope to be back soon as I'm keen to keep my games going but I've just got a few things to deal with at home first. Hopefully I'll be back making posts in no time. Cheers
Nov 16, 2015 12:46 pm
No worries. The outside world always comes first. I'm still around whenever you come back. :)
Nov 16, 2015 7:58 pm
Good to hear from you, Biscuitfiend! Yeah, no worries, do what you gotta do. :-) We'll be here when you come back.
Nov 21, 2015 11:11 am
Hopefully my unannounced hiatus is now over and I'll be back to posting regularly. I might give it a few weeks for inactive players to show up while I sew the games back up to normal activity!
Nov 21, 2015 11:24 am
Glad to have you back! :-)
Nov 21, 2015 11:53 am
Glad to be back. This is a great online community!
Nov 21, 2015 3:02 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
After Victor's latest turn how high in the air is this thing floating? And do we have any indication how badly wounded it is? Non-magical weapons appear to be having little effect, no?
Nov 22, 2015 11:03 am
20ft up (out of melee reach, even mounted). Quite badly injured, although not bleeding from any wounds including three stuck bolts. Of course, none of your weapons are magical yet :)
Nov 22, 2015 11:22 am
Biscuitfiend says:
20ft up (out of melee reach, even mounted). Quite badly injured, although not bleeding from any wounds including three stuck bolts.
I have something in mind, but wondering if I should "waste" a spell slot on it.
Biscuitfiend says:
Of course, none of your weapons are magical yet :)
Except (temporarily) Grizel's greatsword, because she cast Enchant Weapon on it. :-)

It's still Faelor's turn, right?
Last edited November 22, 2015 11:22 am
Nov 22, 2015 11:35 am
Correct, you dealt some serious damage! And Faelor's turn is up if others wish to act. Or, you can choose as a group to end combat as your foe is disabled
Nov 23, 2015 11:28 pm
I think that if the creature is disabled, then we can stand down for now maybe.
Nov 29, 2015 2:59 pm
I'm not sure if I wrote the narration well enough but my intention is that though Grizel doesn't hesitate to deal the killing blow there might have been enough time for the creature to speak before the paladin ends her (if that blow is indeed enough to kill the creature).
Nov 30, 2015 10:03 pm
Did Grizel burn a spell slot with that last Smite or did Victor finish the creature before Grizel could strike?
Dec 1, 2015 9:09 am
No slot used :)
Dec 2, 2015 5:04 pm
Hey Everyone, hopefully this doesn't throw the thread off :). I saw earlier everyone introduced themselves, so I figured I would do the same :).

D&D has been something that I grew up around, my parents played throughout my childhood and have continued to play, though less frequently, now that I am an adult. While I played some 2nd edition, I was too young to really remember much. I have actively been playing since 3rd edition came out, and have been DMing for 16 years. I haven't gotten to play as a player for an extended period for well over 7 years. Somehow I ended up as my group's constant DM, so playing will be a much welcomed change of pace.

I live in the Baltimore MD area, and work as a Children's Librarian :). Also, Castle Ravenloft is on my D&D bucket list to play/DM so this works great.

If anyone wants to give it a look I do have a D&D blog, where I post some DM tips, players tips, stories, and logs of the campaign I am currently running. https://theroomfillswithwater.wordpress.com/ Looking forward to being part of the group!
Dec 2, 2015 9:09 pm
I like your blog, man! You should totally post a link over at the General Chat thread so the other GP members can check it out! :-)
Dec 4, 2015 2:43 am
Thanks! I will post it there now :).

Now to begin catching up on what has happened in the adventure so far :). Biscuit any idea how/when I will be worked into the game? Want to know how quickly I need to read the old posts.
Last edited December 4, 2015 2:46 am
Dec 4, 2015 2:57 pm
The impatience in my latest post is purely Grizel's and not mine. I realize the PC's are probably waiting in the chapel until Beorn and Fizzywinks have their characters ready. It would be out of character for Grizel to be anything other than impatient so I'm just going to roleplay some more internal struggle while we wait. Grizel has been continually having some pretty major doubts about her paladin's oath. Let's see if she stays true! :-D

Are we taking a short or long rest or something?
Dec 5, 2015 11:05 am
I have the flu right now so apologies for a quiet few days. It seems that raw garlic is a very effective treatment!
Dec 5, 2015 11:21 am
Get well, man! I've heard raw garlic is great vs vampyres too! :-D
Dec 5, 2015 11:45 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Get well, man! I've heard raw garlic is great vs vampyres too! :-D
That's why Strahd always has a cold!
Dec 5, 2015 5:59 pm
Yikes the flu is the worst! Get better :)
Dec 7, 2015 10:24 am
I was just going to suggest going up the stairs because gee, that spiderweb sure looks like a cozy place to rest! But Candi's post beat me to it! :-D
Dec 7, 2015 1:27 pm
Beorn and Fizzywinks, I'm going to drop you in the next room seeing as they are travelling again. It might be difficult for continuity to see characters leaving/entering the team all the time so I'll try whatever I think works. You could be travellers who found the Svalich road (see the map thread) from either direction - through the villiage of Barovia or directly near to the castle. You may or may not have received a letter (I'll post it in the map thread). In any case, you have run through the castle having been chased by a powerful, ghostly threat.
Dec 7, 2015 1:32 pm
I'm sorry, I misunderstood Zinn and thought we were headed up where the map shows what looks like a web. TBH I don't know which way the map is oriented so I don't know what it means when someone says west. So we're headed up the narrower staircase then? Right, that's where Zinn was before the thing attacked, and she did say she was heading "back up" to the landing. Ok, I think I've got it straightened out now. :-) Still following Zinn then.
Dec 7, 2015 2:10 pm
Zinn went 'back up' to the north staircase (up on the map). I'm aiming to keep the maps oriented that way. She had a poke around earlier before combat.
Dec 7, 2015 2:40 pm
Ok awesome, do we need to wait to take actions until the party opens our door?
Dec 7, 2015 2:55 pm
Beorn says:
Ok awesome, do we need to wait to take actions until the party opens our door?
You can burst in at any time - you will meet the rest of the group immediately. The two of you ran into the castle and were chased up the stairs into a throne room, down a corridor, and now you have ended up here.

Also, don't forget to submit your character (did you use the site's character sheet?) - I just need something rough. It allows you to 'post as' your character and makes it easy for me to access the details in a pinch
Dec 7, 2015 2:56 pm
Oh man! Having just killed a black-clad creature that came from this balcony, if Grizel spots Mardak the ninja she will strike first and ask questions later! My apologies in advance!

EDIT: Okay, now Zinn has called them out. Have we spotted them? Or were they behind a closed door? I'm telling you, Grizel would just charge them unless she remembers there are still missing townfolk.
Last edited December 7, 2015 3:06 pm
Dec 7, 2015 4:48 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Oh man! Having just killed a black-clad creature that came from this balcony, if Grizel spots Mardak the ninja she will strike first and ask questions later! My apologies in advance!

EDIT: Okay, now Zinn has called them out. Have we spotted them? Or were they behind a closed door? I'm telling you, Grizel would just charge them unless she remembers there are still missing townfolk.
Candi's post has Zinn calling out because she spotted them, but Biscuit's narration seems to say Balder and Mardak are hidden from us. I made Grizel's actions not dependent on anything. She doesn't have darkvision anyway.
Dec 7, 2015 4:55 pm
Does Divine Sense allow a paladin without darkvision to "see" evil foes in a dark room? Enough to fight?
Dec 7, 2015 5:04 pm
You will know their location until the end of the next turn, so you can't 'pick the wrong square', but you will still roll at disadvantage in the darkness.
Dec 7, 2015 5:08 pm
Got it. Thanks! Didn't include an attack to my last post because I wasn't sure. May I add one now?
Dec 7, 2015 5:31 pm
Divine Sense takes a whole action to use, but if you wish to initiate combat then just roll initiative at any time.
Dec 7, 2015 5:36 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
Divine Sense takes a whole action to use, but if you wish to initiate combat then just roll initiative at any time.
Added an initiative roll to my last post. Thanks!
Last edited December 7, 2015 5:49 pm
Dec 7, 2015 6:15 pm
Biscuit, I submitted my character, did you not receive it? Or are you telling that to FizzyWinks?

ALso I am a little confused by where I am in relation to the party. They are on a balcony correct, over looking this throne room, which has two undead? I am in the throne room? Or running away from it?

Edited after looking further at the game thread
Last edited December 7, 2015 6:18 pm
Dec 7, 2015 7:24 pm
Beorn, sorry - youare correct. It's fizzy I'm waiting for.I even added your profile pic as fizzy's character is a shadow monk!!

The two of you entered through the doors behind the thrones - the others entered up a side staircase
Dec 7, 2015 7:44 pm
No problem :). What is the rule of thumb with replying on the game thread? Do people generally wait after taking an action for everyone else to react in a non-combat situation like this? I figure a flow has been established since you all have been playing for a while, so I want to try to sync up with it as much as I can.
Dec 7, 2015 7:59 pm
It's quite casual really. I normally give it time to see if other players will post/respond. But if you're more active on the site, your character will see more action and also make more core decisions.

In combat, I keep the initiative order updated regularly to show whose turn it is. You may post before your turn if it's convenient as it helps to keep the game moving! At other times, the situation may change regularly which means you may wish to wait until your turn to post. If we end up waiting way too long for a player (I'm talking days) then I will normally give them a dodge action/cantrip/attack etc.
Dec 7, 2015 8:51 pm
Ok Cool thanks for the clarification :).
Dec 8, 2015 3:32 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Does Divine Sense allow a paladin without darkvision to "see" evil foes in a dark room? Enough to fight?
Biscuitfiend says:
You will know their location until the end of the next turn, so you can't 'pick the wrong square', but you will still roll at disadvantage in the darkness.
I don't suppose it's enough to allow Grizel to use her Channel Divinity (which requires " a creature you can see")?
Dec 8, 2015 4:13 pm
No you'll definitely need to see it for that! Anyone thought of lighting up a torch yet?
Dec 8, 2015 5:19 pm
Having cast Darkvision, what does Mardak see, basically the picture? I think I know what I want to do on my turn (since I am first) but I want to make sure I didn't miss any details.

I threw holy water during my turn (presuming I read everything correctly). Could my fists have hit and hurt the ghosts? Would my character know?
Last edited December 8, 2015 5:58 pm
Dec 9, 2015 10:03 am
I'll reply in the game thread too to make sure that everyone gets the information:

Mardak can see that the room beyond the balcony has a huge, decorative dome-shaped ceiling. This room looks well-decorated but you can't see colour with darkvision. Mardak can't see any undead yet, he only knows that Grizel has announced that there are two on the chairs. They are obviously sentient and have not expressed any hostility yet.

Holy water isn't the 'Attack action', it's a separate action so 'extra attack'/dual weapon fighting can't apply to it. Also, holy water counts as an 'improvised weapon' which means that you don't add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll. Be careful not to waste that stuff. It could be gold dust in this place!

Also be aware that these huge chairs provide cover: total cover from behind, 3/4 at the back from an angle, 1/2 from the side, which means the AC to hit these things could be quite high if you don't go around the front of the chairs.
Dec 9, 2015 2:26 pm
So I revised my action, if that is possible. Sorry to throw the flow of the group off some there :). In my defense the ghostly picture you posted is pretty intimidating :D.
Last edited December 9, 2015 2:27 pm
Dec 9, 2015 3:21 pm
No problem. Your action will be for next turn by the way, so as you are speaking the team are unleashing holy hell on these poor creatures!
Dec 9, 2015 4:53 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
No problem. Your action will be for next turn by the way, so as you are speaking the team are unleashing holy hell on these poor creatures!
hahah fair enough, at least I can hold the moral high ground that I tried :). I didn't still throw the holy water did I? I want to make sure my item records remain correct.
Dec 9, 2015 5:01 pm
Yeah keep that holy water for now!
Dec 9, 2015 5:28 pm
Awesome thank you! When I bought it I figured it would come in useful, but still made sense since I bought a few flasks of everything that seemed good lol. Can't wait to splash acid on a lock or something to pop it open!
Last edited December 9, 2015 5:29 pm
Dec 9, 2015 5:53 pm
Tweaked my post a little bit (just the roleplay, not the actions) to fit in with Mardak's changed action: he speaks now just before Grizel acts so I had to work that in. :-)

Is it just my currently wonky internet connection or are none of the maps loading?
Last edited December 9, 2015 5:56 pm
Dec 9, 2015 6:15 pm
Nope looks like the maps are down for me as well.
Dec 10, 2015 4:36 pm
I know throwing Mardak into the narrative is tough. I haven't read through everything in the game thread, though I am through page 9 :). I was thinking that I could have wandered into Barovia and seen the plight of the village, specifically scared children, and vowed to help them. Hence why I am in the castle. Does that work?

Also Ireena is the NPC who the party first received a letter about helping?
Dec 10, 2015 4:54 pm
Yes on both counts. Good idea. You would know that you can't escape without killing Strahd, hence you just bust in and found the others :)
Dec 10, 2015 5:03 pm
Oops, I meant to direct the Vow Of Enmity at the injured one, not the uninjured one. Typo!
Dec 10, 2015 5:21 pm
Changed, not an issue. They seem angry.
Dec 10, 2015 6:12 pm
OOC: Being thrown into this chaos Mardak isn't certain what to do; however, Ireena seems less able to protect herself, so I will be focusing on protecting her, as that is an important aspect of my character. I am hopefully going to find us a potential retreat route down this secret door; however, if I open us to further threats I apologize :).
Dec 10, 2015 6:14 pm
Telling you right now, Grizel isn't going to back down unless for some reason these two ghosts can help the group against Strahd. But I guess we're past that since Grizel already made them angry (oops!). So the only way Grizel will stand down is if she's taken down or dragged away. She's not above fleeing if she gets her ass handed to her. Let's just hope she doesn't get herself killed first! :-P
Dec 10, 2015 9:33 pm
Thanks for the heads up. If I can find an escape path I just may try to persuade you to flee.
Dec 12, 2015 2:51 pm
How long does Frightened last?
Dec 12, 2015 3:05 pm
"frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the creature is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success."

I'll give you saves, forgot about that
Dec 12, 2015 8:20 pm
Sorry for the delay! Am just incredibly busy right now but will be able to post about 12hrs from now.

Also, how stupid of me to only use a bonus action in round 2!

Anyway, catch you later! :-)
Dec 13, 2015 3:34 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
"frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if the creature is within line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success."
I'll give you saves, forgot about that
That's cool. Faelor will definitely try to get as far away from those ghosts as possible.
Last edited December 13, 2015 3:36 pm
Dec 13, 2015 3:54 pm
Quote:
Behind all the machinery, a cold shaft rises up from the darkness and continues past the room.
Biscuitfiend, what do you mean by a cold shaft? Do you mean a breeze of cold air, or a cold passage way that continues on through the room?
Dec 13, 2015 4:01 pm
Think uncovered elevator shaft - a vertical passageway. Jump down and die or climb up and risk death. But the controls may be usable.
Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm
Hmmm ok thank you for the clarification, I can picture it better now :).
Dec 14, 2015 7:38 am
Trait: When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.

Grizel's realizing she was wrong to attack blindlessly. She fears that she's thrown everyone's lives away by attacking these ghosts and as a result Strahd will go free.

And she remembers bits of Madame Eva's tarot card reading. I'm hoping she can convince these ghosts to stop attacking.
Dec 15, 2015 3:18 am
Hi all! My internet connection's been wonky so I didn't know if my last post went through and even if it did I realized I'd failed to specify Grizel would attempt to deal nonlethal damage if that's possible on an incorporeal creature. She's switched from trying to destroy them to trying to subdue them. Anyway I see that it did go through and the game's moved forward, though not as I'd intended, but it's. ok :-) So Grizel's down. I suppose now'd be a good time for a long rest? :-P
Last edited December 15, 2015 11:45 am
Dec 15, 2015 11:13 am
It turns out a ghost can be unconscious (that massive damage should have worked after all) so I will allow you to knock her out. You are dying right now though. That's one of the scariest monster powers in the game.
Dec 15, 2015 5:06 pm
Wow, ok that description and scene end was epic, excellent work Biscuit!
Dec 15, 2015 6:12 pm
Thanks, descriptive writing is where GP excels compared to face-to-face games :)
Dec 16, 2015 7:36 am
I sure hope somebody stabilizes Grizel and Victor! Or should we start rolling death saves? :-)
Dec 16, 2015 8:18 am
One per day, oh ho ho ho!
Dec 16, 2015 2:48 pm
Well Grizel, hopefully you have some healing ability to revive Victor after I revive you. I don't have faith in my stabilizing ability, and I would like to withdraw out of this area soon :).
Dec 16, 2015 3:06 pm
@Beorn: Yes, thanks! Grizel can split Lay On Hands between Victor and herself.

@Biscuitfiend: Balder has extinguished his light. Are we in complete darkness again here by the thrones? What about over where Mardak was working on the machinery?
Last edited December 16, 2015 3:06 pm
Dec 16, 2015 4:08 pm
I have Darkvision activated by my special ability, so I can see, but I believe we are in complete darkness.
Dec 17, 2015 6:04 pm
Hmmm so is there anything I should know to catch me up? Seems like we need to find somewhere to rest. Have you all been doing that in looked rooms in the castle? Or is there another safe zone?
Dec 18, 2015 1:45 pm
We've only just gotten to the castle, this is the first time we've needed rest.
Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm
Ah ok, so leaving the castle is most likely the best bet.
Dec 18, 2015 11:59 pm
Perhaps. It was also a great deal of effort to get here... involving a self-driving carriage. If that carriage isn't there to take us back to town, leaving the castle will require walking through the forest.
Dec 19, 2015 3:25 am
I'm going to be absolutely slammed over the weekend working on an epic Star Wars - The Force Awakens birthday cake. Won't be able to post, sorry!
Dec 23, 2015 2:18 pm
I am presuming we are all busy this week :). I will propose that for resting we consider using the secret room I found, maybe the door can be closed and then hard to find?
Dec 27, 2015 7:48 pm
Beorn says:
I will propose that for resting we consider using the secret room I found, maybe the door can be closed and then hard to find?
Definitely a proposal worth considering! If we can find out more about what that contraption does, that is. I'm sure Victor can figure it out. ;-)
Dec 29, 2015 5:46 pm
Alright, sorry for the long silence. December was crazy, but I'm back in it now.
Jan 9, 2016 10:47 am
I'm all for a rest. Grizel's resources are exhausted.

Can she dismiss Alastor even though they're currently separated or does she need to see him or something? They have a telepathic link but I don't know what the range is on that.

Edit: Ok, I just checked the spell description for Find Steed:
Quote:
While your steed is within 1 mile of you, you can communicate with it telepathically... As an action, you can release the steed from its bond at any time, causing it to disappear.
Last edited January 9, 2016 10:57 am
Jan 12, 2016 1:16 pm
Sounds fine. A long rest will restore spell slots.
Jan 13, 2016 2:58 am
So long rest is what its sounding like??
Jan 15, 2016 2:54 pm
Sorry for lack of posts again, just had our second kid last Friday. I may need to drop this game. I'm stretched a little thin with games as it was. Now I've lost some posting availability.
Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm
Congratulations! :-)
Jan 15, 2016 4:06 pm
Congrats!
Jan 15, 2016 5:39 pm
Congrats! Stick around if you prefer, I'll bare in mind that you're busy
Jan 15, 2016 6:44 pm
Congrats!
Jan 15, 2016 7:40 pm
Congratulations PhantomNimbus!
Would taking a watch shift interrupt a long rest?
Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm
If your okay with some silence I'll hang out.
Jan 16, 2016 4:29 am
Biscuitfiend, will you be imposing penalties for sleeping in armor? Grizel is in chain mail.
Jan 16, 2016 3:17 pm
"A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity— the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it."

No penalties for sleeping in armour. That's too much realism for me! Unless you as players would like to impose it?
Jan 16, 2016 3:54 pm
Ha! That's a big nope from me. Let me live in the fantasy.
Jan 16, 2016 5:48 pm
Hahaha! Definitely nope! :-D
Jan 18, 2016 9:35 pm
Oh that looks awesome! Will deff be purchasing that!
Jan 19, 2016 11:25 pm
Hi all, I'm away until Saturday at Center Parcs. See you shortly!
Feb 21, 2016 3:19 pm
I don't know if you guys are aware...I've posted about Biscuifiend's absence on a couple of other threads but not here...and I wouldn't presume to speak for him but he's going through some RL stuff right now and I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing him the best.

Now, something to occupy us while he's away - and I've had Grizel thinking about this on a few occasions - is interpreting Madam Eva's fortune telling. I don't know about the rest of you but I've never played Ravenloft before and I don't believe that fortune telling is there just for show - I think those are very real clues that should help the PC's on this quest. The problem is I haven't the damnedest idea what it all means! There's a weapon of power and a place of refuge, among other things. Those two things jump out at me. But I haven't a glimmer of a clue where those things might be found in the castle (if they're in the castle at all!)

Any ideas?
Feb 21, 2016 4:29 pm
I will update this as we go along. Please check for accuracy. Thanks!

XP Tracking
6500 XP Starting XP (Level 5)

Grizel, Faelor, Katerina, Iskandil
41 XP wolves on the road
85 XP worgs in front of Ireena's house
808 XP Strahd & pets

Grizel, Victor, Zinnarath. (And Faelor too, right?)
450 XP undead in the chapel

Grizel, Victor, Zinnarath, Faelor, Mardak, Balder
229 XP two enthroned ghosts
Last edited February 21, 2016 4:31 pm
Feb 22, 2016 12:02 pm
Thanks Jabes. I didn't think of keeping track of that myself. And yes, I think Faelor was there for the undead in the chapel, but was very ineffective. Also, I was unaware of our GM's RL troubles, but that comes first and I think we'll be ready when/if he's able to return. As for the fortune-telling clues, I'm right there with you.
Mar 23, 2016 4:19 pm
I have recently bought The Curse of Strahd, and having read the adventure (it's an updated version of this module, plus other Ravenloft material blended in with some new material)... I've spoiled this whole thing for myself. As such, I'm going to bow out respectfully (I am not concerned about keeping player/character knowledge separate - more that part of the fun is in the tension and surprise). So, should Biscuitfiend return and this be resurrected; there will be, unfortunately, a void!
Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm
Hi all, sorry to disappoint you all. I've decided to fold all my games because of life I guess! I may be back in the future and I wish you all the best. It was fun playing here with you all :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.