Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Jul 6, 2015 10:38 pm
The wolves close in. A wolf running towards Faelor changes paths when you cast, spitting with ferocity as it lashes at the glowing cleric.

Rolls

Wolf 3 bite Sildar - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Wolf 1 bite Iskandil - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Wold 4 bite Lysander - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Wolf 2 bite Iskandil - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Wolf 2 bite Iskandil, pack tactics (adv) - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Jul 6, 2015 10:44 pm
http://s7.postimg.org/50u594eej/Screenshot_2015_07_06_23_44_06.png

Sindar knocked prone

Rolls

Sindar damage - (2d4+2)

(22) + 2 = 6

Sindar STR save or knocked prone - (1d20+1, 1d4-1)

1d20+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d4-1 : (4) - 1 = 3

Iskandil damage - (2d4+2)

(11) + 2 = 4

Iskandil STR save - (1d20+1, 1d4-1)

1d20+1 : (16) + 1 = 17

1d4-1 : (1) - 1 = 0

Jul 6, 2015 11:20 pm
Katerina draws a sharp inhale as the wolves rush from the forest. They sounded so far off. Not wanting to waste time now that they have harried Sindar to the ground, she remembers her intense training at the hands of Theodore. In one lithe movement, she draws both her swords. She can feel the power of the cleric's god coursing through her, making every strike more potent.

Katerina will draw her twin rapiers as part of her Move, and use the Attack action against the wolf in base contact with her (presumably Wolf 1). She will attack until it is dead and then move into its space to engage the other two. She will use a bonus action to use an Off hand attack and then action surge to use a second Attack action for 5 total attacks. I will roll all attacks seperately in consecutive edits.

Rolls

Attack 1 against Wolf 1 with bless roll seperate - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Bless Roll - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Attack 1 damage - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Attack 2 against Wolf 1 with bless roll seperate - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Bless - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Attack 2 damage - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Attack 3 against Wolf 1 with bless roll seperate - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Bless - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Attack 3 damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Attack 4 against Wolf 1 with bless roll seperate - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Bless - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Attack 4 Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Attack 5 against Wolf 3 with bless roll seperate - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Bless - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Attack 5 Damage - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jul 7, 2015 1:39 am
I had been, up until this moment, hopeful that the wolves would keep their distance. Realizing I wouldn't get my wish today, I get my crossbow out, ready to strike the first beast I see.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Damage - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Jul 7, 2015 12:50 pm
Iskandil swings his staff at the wolf nearest Hotay.

Edit: Note to self: remember that you are blessed. +1d4. You got away with it this time, but don't let it happen again.
Last edited July 7, 2015 4:12 pm

Rolls

Shillelagh Attack - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Shillelagh Damage - (1d8+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Jul 7, 2015 1:23 pm
Lysander arms himself with his mace and strikes at the wolf that attacked him.

Rolls

Melee Attack vs. Wolf(#?) - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Damage vs Wolf (#?) - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jul 7, 2015 2:59 pm
http://s21.postimg.org/sil3kb3jr/Screenshot_2015_07_07_23_27_43.png

Iskandil crushes the first, evidently arthritic, wolf. The wolf near to Lysander rushes in to find a weak spot in his armour. Hotay rears up, panicked as he hears the tearing of flesh and smells blood through the mist. A few items fall off the cart.

The warhorse, startled by hotay, backs away, unsure if to flee or to stay by its master. Steel remains strong, holding a defensive position.

Katerina strikes at the central wolf, which cannot possibly dodge all of her quick flourishes. Three cuts and it falls with a whelp as the pain surges to it's wounds. Lysander lunges at a wolf, it's blunt force seemingly not impairing it.

The remaining wolf facing the front of the party backs off (disengage), rushing to Lysander's exposed back.

Katerina
Lysander
Wolf 3
Sindar
Faelor
Grizel
Wolf 4
Iskandil
Wolf 5

Rolls

Wolf 5 bite Lysander

Wolf 5 bite Lysander (pack tactics)

Hotay (draft horse) morale - WIS saving throw - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Steel morale - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Other warhore morale (remind me of name) - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Hotay advantage (quick kill/distance) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 8, 2015 12:37 am
Sindar gathered himself as after the wold tackled him to the ground. He let his momentum carry him back, and rolled to his knees, crossbows trained on the offending wolf.

Half move to rise to knees, attack action to fire main hand crossbow, then bonus action to fire offhand crossbow

Rolls

Attack w/first hand crossbow - (1d20, 1d4+6)

1d20 : (11) = 11

1d4+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

Attack with offhand - (1d20, 1d4+6)

1d20 : (5) = 5

1d4+6 : (1) + 6 = 7

Damage with first hand crossbow - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Damage with second hand crossbow - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jul 8, 2015 3:23 am
Iskandil moves to the nearest wolf threatening the group and strikes at it with his staff.

Rolls

attack roll - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

damage - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jul 8, 2015 9:42 am
The first bolt penetrates a leg, giving it a kilter while it runs through the spooked horse's space to Lysander. The other shaves fur into the fog as it disappears from view
Jul 8, 2015 11:19 am
Grizel leaps off Alastor's back and with a snarl to rival those of the wolves, slashes at the wolves. Divine power courses through her sword-arm, lending strength to her sword strikes. The paladin communicates reassurance through her telepathic link with her steed, "Whoa, get a hold o' yeself, Alastor! These beasties're no match for th' likes o' us!"
OOC:
*Rerolling Attack 2 damage as I got a 1 & a 2 [Great Weapon Fighting]
*Just a reminder: if either of these attacks drop a wolf, Grizel gets another melee attack as a bonus action [Great Weapon Master]
Last edited July 8, 2015 1:06 pm

Rolls

Greatsword attack 1 - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Attack 1 damage - (2d6+3)

(53) + 3 = 11

Divine Smite damage - (2d8)

(48) = 12

Greatsword attack 2 - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Attack 2 damage - (2d6+3)

(12) + 3 = 6

Divine Smite damage - (2d8)

(56) = 11

Rerolling Attack 2 damage [Great Weapon Fighting] - (2d6+3)

(66) + 3 = 15

Jul 8, 2015 3:49 pm
Despite it it not being the best option Lysander feels his mace is not sufficient to dispatch these beasts, so he calls upon the Saga once again and casts Sacred Flame

"Great lady, grant me your divine fire so that it may burn untruth from the world."

In his hand his goblet fills with blue holy fire and with a flick of his wrist he flings it at one of the wolves.

I am unsure which wolves might remain. Please have this target a wolf that is already injured. Now to the other confusing part of this situation. From what I have read casting in melee no longer provokes "Attacks of Opportunity" only movement not part of the Disengagedoes that. However casting a ranged spell in melee does cause disadvantage for the attacker. BUT, Sacred Flame does not require an attack roll, it gives the target a Dexterity saving throw.

So, the way I see it is that the wolf I am attacking gets Advantage on it's Dexterity saving throw, because I would have disadvantage normally, so that translates to advantage for the wolf. Does that make sense? Am I missing anything? reference pg 195 for Opportunity Attacks and pg 204 for Spell Casting Saving Throws and Attacks.

Finally...the DC for the Dex Saving throw is 15

Rolls

Sacred Flame damage (no damage on save) - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Jul 10, 2015 10:15 am
Grizel hits the nearest wolf square on, nearly disintegrating it. The second attack is a miss (no spell slot spent). Iskandil injures another wolf, which now looks feeble, barely able to flee. But then, it lashes at Lysander once more, who chars it with a flash of holy fire before it can even reach. The last wolf, bolt in flesh, prepares to limp away and bleed to death.

All players gain 41 EXP

Rolls

Wolf 5 bite Lysander - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Wolf 5 DEX saving throw (no advantage by RAW) - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm
"May your hunts be successful in the next world," Iskandil says, sprinkling a handful of dirt from the forest floor over the bodies of each of the dead wolves. He looks at the trail of the one who fled for a long moment, as if he was considering following it, and then he shakes his head and feeds Hotay yet another apple. As he strokes the donkey's neck, calming it, he frowns.

"Another letter from someone claiming to be the burgomaster," he says, thinking aloud. "Telling a story that begins the same, but hopes for a very different end. Why was this man returning to Barovia when he hadn't delivered his message?"
Last edited July 10, 2015 1:55 pm
Jul 10, 2015 6:52 pm
Relief flooded over me when the last wolf was dealt with. I shook away the tingle of magic itching to be released. These were just wolves. There was no need to expend my energy, not yet. "I don't suppose it'll do us any good to stand here guessing wildly. I suggest we find this burgomaster and discover the truth of the matter." Reloading my crossbow, I keep it in hand in case there's need of it again soon, waiting for the group to continue moving on.
Jul 10, 2015 7:53 pm
Katrina takes both letters and reads them side by side. "We have no need for guesses. Look closely here at the content and where it divides from what we saw earlier. If this Burgomaster is even present in this domicile any longer, it would be fair to question him but the action of these wolves to attack a well guarded company is an aberration of their bestial nature, even were they savage. This land is unhallowed and we unwittingly have walked into an evil place. This burgomaster may be just as guilty for luring us here with platitudes. This vampyr I personally am unprepared to fight. If it has greater machinations than sending us to our early deaths, we best stay close and work together if we have a hope to defeat it."
Jul 10, 2015 8:55 pm
You notice that the styles are really quite different, perhaps one was plagiarised from the other as the signatures seem to flow quite convincingly in the same manner. The party continues onwards, and it takes some time following the road, but you finally reach the village of Barovia.
Tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The tall shapes become recognizable as the dwellings of the village of Barovia. The windows of each house stare out from pools of black nothingness. No sound cuts the silence except for a single mournful sobbing that echoes through the streets from a distance. The river Ivlis flows as clear as a blue winter sky through the valley; at least, that is what you think you hear, gently flowing some distance to the south.
Jul 11, 2015 9:25 am
Grizel, sword drawn and eyes darting, leads the group forward in the direction of the sobbing. She sends her senses outwards, wary of the stench of evil.
OOC: Grizel expends one use of Divine Sense. Also, here's a perception roll for good measure.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Jul 11, 2015 10:58 am
All seems calm, you detect that you are safe in your immediate location. The mist registers as faintly evil. You can't see a thing other than the houses on both side of the street, folding out of and into the fog. You travel further, a warm glow becoming detectable again as the wailing becomes more perceptable...heading down this straight road, you approach a circular hub, two buildings being the source of the faint glow.
On your left, some kind of shop. The sparse light from this building spills out from behind drawn heavy curtains. A sign over the door creaks on its hinges, proclaiming this "Bildrath's Mercantile."
From the right, a single shaft of light thrusts into the main square, its brightness like a solid pillar in the heavy fog. Above the gaping doorway, a sign hangs precariously askew proclaiming this the "Blood on the Vine Tavern." The tavern building is about 60 feet square.

The wailing is louder again, coming from a path to the left. As you step into the square, you see that there are two more paths buried in the fog.
Jul 11, 2015 7:17 pm
Lysander glances quizzically at the shops, but is more interested in the noise. He turns Steel down the path to the left and moves on (unless his companions do not.)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.