Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Jul 6, 2015 12:07 pm
"Let's get this over with." Grizel spurs her steed forward and leads the party towards the light. She does not draw her sword yet but she focuses her will and posture forward - the grim paladin herself is a drawn sword.
Jul 6, 2015 12:15 pm
Iskandil follows, though he is all but dragging Hotay through the gate. Once through, though, it is the elf who digs his heels in, as the donkey seems intent on getting as far from the strange gates as possible.

Edit: autocorrect errors.
Last edited July 6, 2015 2:52 pm
Jul 6, 2015 12:20 pm
You pass through, and after gaining 50 feet of ground, the gates clamp back together with a solid rattle which echoes quietly towards you. Towering trees, whose tops are lost in heavy gray mist, block out all save a death-gray light. The tree trunks almost touch. The thick, damp undergrowth presses in on you, making it impossible even to see one another at all times. The woods have the silence of a forgotten grave, yet exude the feeling of an unsounded scream.

A lone wolf cries in the distance.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jul 6, 2015 2:37 pm
The hairs stand up on the back of Sindar's neck as the gates clamp shut. There goes that escape route. He tightens his grip on his crossbow under his cloak as the party continues on toward the light that was visible before the mists settled in.
Jul 6, 2015 2:50 pm
Another wolf howls in conversation with the first, and it appears difficult to determine their location by the sound alone
Jul 6, 2015 2:58 pm
Iskandil mumbles under his breath as he walks along, waving his hands, casting Shillelagh on his walking stick.

for 1 minute, the staff uses Wisdom instead of Strength for attack and damage, and does d8 damage. It also becomes magical
Jul 6, 2015 3:15 pm
Sindar cocks his head at the second wolf howl, working to discern what he can about their numbers and orientation.

OOC:
Trying to leverage my Natural explorer to see if I can gain any insight into the wolves intentions or locations. I gave both bonuses just in case.

Rolls

Survival (+7), Nature +1 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jul 6, 2015 3:46 pm
http://s13.postimg.org/w4twktqkn/20150706_135958.jpg
You hear three wolves. They are a little more distant this time but it is hard to discern their intentions. You do notice, however, a dead figure in the underbrush, wearing a grey cloak. A shortsword lays by his side and the other hangs from its sheath. He holds an envelope crumpled in his hand. The remains of his armour and clothes are torn and raked with claw marks. Paw prints of many large wolves are pressed into the clay around the body. The man has obviously been dead for a short time.
Jul 6, 2015 4:11 pm
"Hold, there's a body in the trees. Looks like the wolves got him" Sindar alerts the party members. He then carefully approaches the corpse, kneeling down to recover the crumpled envelope held in his hand.
Jul 6, 2015 5:00 pm
"Is this the man from the inn who took the horse?" Lysander asks...well, anyone who got a good look at the man. Lysander remembers the twin swords that man wore but that was all the details he picked up on.
Jul 6, 2015 7:43 pm
The letter is sealed with a large "B." The parchment is worn and flimsy. Unmistakably now, this is the shredded remains of the traveller who shunned you before you began your journey. A pack of wolves sound their cries in the distance, and you think you can count four such beasts.
Jul 6, 2015 7:53 pm
"Well, well," Iskandil says, looking over Lysnader's shoulder. "Another mysterious letter. No, I won't let the wolves eat you." The last seems to be directed at Hotay, who is stamping his hoofs and blowing. For good measure, he recasts Shillelagh.
Jul 6, 2015 8:23 pm
"With your permission, I would like to scrutinize that epistle. Perhaps it will reveal who this man was or how he is connect to us as this is the very place we were meant to be." Katerina takes the letter and breaks the seal if it is not clear this is for the Burgomaster.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Jul 6, 2015 8:41 pm
Carefully scanning the text, you recognise that the writing is similar but a little untidier:

"Hail thee of might and valor:

I, the Burgomaster of Barovia send you honor — with despair. My adopted daughter, the fair Ireena, has been these past nights bitten by a creature calling its race "vampyr." For over 400 years he has drained this land of the life-blood of its people. Now, my dear Ireena languishes and dies from an unholy wound caused by this vile beast. Yet I fear, too, that the creature has some more cunning plan in mind. He has become too powerful to be fought any longer. So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the symbols of good. Let holy men call upon their power that the evil one may be contained within the walls of weeping Barovia. Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save the world from this evil fate of ours. There is much wealth entrapped in this community. Return for your reward after we are all departed for a better life.

Kolyan Indirovich,
Burgomaster"

You are chilled to the bone by the intense howling of five wolves, surrounding you, nearby and just detectable through the folds of mist.

Rolls

Stealth (wolves) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Jul 6, 2015 9:13 pm
"Make ready friends, the wolves are nearing our position. I'll not let them get in the way of our snuffing out this Vampyr threat"

Sindar reaches down, and loads two regular bolts into his hand crossbows, then scans the trees, readying to defend himself and the party.
Jul 6, 2015 9:17 pm
http://s13.postimg.org/z0mm2ix2v/20150706_221132.jpg

As they approach, their eyes seem to glow faintly red through the fog, as if reflecting light. But from what source?

all but Lysander and Iskandil are surprised. All PCs are granted inspiration. Sindar may execute a readied action at the end of the surprise round

Rolls

Wolf 1 Initiative - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Wolf 2 Initiative - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Wolf 3 IN - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Wolf 4 IN - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Wolf 5 IN - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jul 6, 2015 9:43 pm
Iskandil rolls initiative...

and fwiw, it may not be a bad idea to roll everyone's initiative, just to keep things speedy.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jul 6, 2015 9:50 pm
Grazzt says:
and fwiw, it may not be a bad idea to roll everyone's initiative, just to keep things speedy.
I will do this from now on. I think I have your DEX scores memorised?

Rolls

Lysander IN - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Sindar IN - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Grizel IN - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Katerina IN - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Faelor IN - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Jul 6, 2015 9:54 pm
Katerina 23
Lysander 22
Wolf 3 21
Sindar 21
Wolf 1 19
Faelor 14
Grizel 10
Wolf 4 9
Wolf 2 8
Iskandil 7
Wolf 5 6
Jul 6, 2015 10:02 pm
So if I've read the rules properly Lysander gets and Iskandil get actions this round. So I'm rolling initiative and casting Bless then getting off Steel (warhorse) and positioning myself facing toward the wolf that is behind the party. Hope that makes sense.

Lysander cries out when the wolves appear then intones a prayer while grasping for his holy symbol. "Oh! Saga bless and guide we fools. Part the veil of mystery and show us the light of truth!" With a sweeping motion of his arm Lysander poors a blue flame from his cup. It dissipates quickly but bright sparks flutter down on the heads of Iskandil, Karenina and Sindar. You feel the divine presence if Saga ready to guide your hand and help you stave off injury.

Those three characters have Bless on them. Roll an extra d4 on attacks and saving throws (1d20+1d4) until I say otherwise.

Cross posted there...ignore my initiative...I like yours DM. Actions remain the same.
Last edited July 6, 2015 10:05 pm

Rolls

Lysander Initiative - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.