Ravenloft game thread

Jun 26, 2015 1:55 pm
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/30691/barovia.jpg
To a party of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, this is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province. It is but another passage of time between the challenges of true adventuring. Such is the doldrum of existence waiting for another opportunity. Outside the Inn, a fog lies over the town this evening, draping everything in its clammy grasp. The damp cobbled street shines as the light of street lanterns dances across the slick stones. The cold fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside. Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk. Suddenly, a hush falls over the tavern. Even the flagons of ale seem to silence themselves. The tavern door swings open. Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides into the room. His heavy, booted footfalls and the jingle of his coins shatter the silence. His brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about him and his hat hangs askew, hiding his eyes in shadows. Without hesitation, he walks directly up to your table and stands proudly in a wide stance with folded arms. His accented voice speaks, "I have been sent to you to deliver this message! If you be creatures of honor, you will come to my master's aid at first light. It is not advisable to travel the Svalich woods at night!" He pulls from his tunic a sealed letter, addressed to all of you in beautiful flowing script. He drops the letter on the table. "Take the west road from here some five hours march down through the Svalich woods. There you will find my master in Barovia." Amid the continued silent stares of the patronage, the gypsy strides to the bar and says to the wary barkeeper, "Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched." He drops a purse heavy with gold on the bar. With that, he leaves. The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying before you. Dated yesterday, the ink is still not dry and the parchment is crisp. The seal is of a crest you don't recognize.
Jul 1, 2015 3:19 am
Katerina picks up the letter to read. After she finishes digesting the document, she turns it over in her hands to gleen what information she can from the written text and the materials it is made from. Also, she takes care to recall the intonations and context of the Vistani traveler to make more sense of the brief introduction. The path leading to Theodore had led her here. This letter, this man, this journey. And she was no closer to actually finding a clue as to where her father had disappeared. She looks around to table at the others, seeing who drinks of the paid for drinks and if any abstain if she does. She pulls the waterskin from her bag and takes a small sip. She does not need much to keep going but the days of travel prior had been tiring. Last night, before this strange meeting, her dreams had once again been plagued by shadows whose shapes walked past her while she frozen could not run at all.

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game." She says to the table. "Will we play together? Or are there those among us here that would rather play for themselves? I have no manner of distate to give greater than that for one who contracts for business and decides instead that personal gain is more important then the team's mission."
Last edited July 1, 2015 6:22 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Jul 1, 2015 4:23 am
"For myself, the mystery of a stranger, from a strange land, who can send his man into a tavern to find a specific group of individuals who are staying here merely out of coicidence, that alone is worth the time. I would see this amazing person." Lysander places his copper goblet on the table and pours a swig of the drink into it, an offering to Saga you are used to seeing him perform when libations are given to him. He reaches for the purse and opens it. He examines the coin inside, intending to get enough money out to pay for the drinks with a generous tip.

"What pray tell of the letter? Is it anymore forthcoming than it deliverer?"
Last edited July 1, 2015 4:24 am
Jul 2, 2015 12:20 am
As I watched the stranger leave, I wondered just what sort of intrigue was headed my way. Lost in my thoughts, I wear my usual half smile as I gently touch the foreign seal. Without hesitation, I happily sip from my cup that was so graciously refilled by our strange visitor's gold. "Were we playing a game, my dear Katerina, perhaps you would be in a better mood." I teased the warrior with a raised cup before taking another drink. I saw no need for good drink to go to waste.
Last edited July 2, 2015 8:35 am
Jul 2, 2015 2:11 am
"I'm awake!" Iskandil barks, his hand gripping the hilt of the dagger at his belt. A moment later, he realizes there is no immediate danger, and he slumps back in the chair he had been sleeping in. He looks into his cup, and is pleased to find there is still ale in it. He gulps the rest of it down and considers the strange man's message. In particular, the last part.

"Parched, yes," he says, and gives a sharp whistle to attract the barkeep's attention. He waves his empty cup to make his meaning clear, and sways slightly as he waits for Katerina to report on the letter's contents.
Jul 2, 2015 9:03 am
http://s17.postimg.org/4rk60a79p/Screenshot_2015_07_02_09_06_26.png
Hail to thee of might and valor:

I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community. The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound and I would have her saved from this menace. There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shah but answer my desperate plea. Come quickly, for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indrirovich,
Burgomaster

As with the seal, there is little you recognise in his accent or manner. Fluently spoken and not restrained by the trappings of his somewhat lost dialect, his communication imparts a charm that could not be interpreted as being suspicious. The parchment is well-formed and white as the new moon outside, telling of the honesty and earnest of its contents, at least in the promise of wealth.
Jul 2, 2015 1:59 pm
Iskandil stands and manages to weave his graceful way to stand behind Katerina to read over her shoulder. He scratches his head as he reads the message, trying to gather his thoughts and see what if can recollect anything about the Svalich Woods or the town of Barovia.

"Funny that they knew we'd be here tonight, or maybe the messenger was just looking for any adventurers?" he mutters, mostly to himself. Then he speaks a bit louder, addressing the group. "As mysterious as the circumstances are, the message seems clear enough. This Ireena woman has been woundedsomehow, and the people need our aid. If it is within our power to help, I think we must. At the very least, I would speak to this burgomaster and see what the evil is that oppresses Barovia."

Rolls

Intelligence check (Barovia or Svalich Woods) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jul 2, 2015 3:55 pm
Sindar sits up straighter, as Iskandil mentions the evil oppressing Barovia. The road had been long up to this point, and this unlikely group of adventurers he had fallen in with were an interesting group.

"What evil? Does the letter specify? I hardly think all this drama with the gypsy would be necessary if the good Burgomaster were seeking a simple healer. Evil takes many forms, and I've a bad feeling about these circumstances. I am in agreement with Iskandil that it warrants investigation"

As if they would be leaving immediately, Sindar stands adjusting his coat. The flaps of the long coat barely covering hand crossbows and the pommel of a finely silvered rapier.
Jul 2, 2015 3:59 pm
You have not heard anything by those names, nor had you spotted woods in that direction. But then, it had been dark even when you had arrived.
Jul 2, 2015 5:31 pm
"A noble and worthy cause, and promise of payment to boot. I am all for going and talking to 'master Indrirovich. A direct interview should reveal what we want to know and then we can decide if it is a task we are worthy of undertaking. We could head out tonight and camp at the meeting place. Or just meet him at first light as requested?"
Jul 2, 2015 6:45 pm
Rolling my eyes, I set my cup down on the table harder than I intend. My frustration showed despite my attempts to remain civil. A small sigh of disgust escaped me. "Yes, yes, yes. Of course we're going to help this poor woman. Why would we not? Someone quite powerful has requested our aid. I for one will not refuse to assist a woman who for all we know is dying." I don't meet anyone's gaze, slightly embarrassed by my outburst, but I quickly compose myself. "If you will excuse me, I believe it's time for me to turn in for the night." I gather my belongings and head toward my room that was previously arranged as I attempt to keep my head held high in the noble manner I was taught.
Jul 2, 2015 6:56 pm
"Falfaelor is right. Better to rest now in clean dry beds with a roof over our heads. Since that means an early morning though, I too will call it a night. Good evening everyone." With that Lysander pushes his mostly untouched drink into the middle of the table, indicating it is free to anyone who wants it, then picks up the goblet holy symbol bows his head and says, "May this grant me the wisdom I am lacking." and empties the cup. He then stands and goes to his room.
Jul 3, 2015 7:54 am
Grizel pulls her hood up over her head and moves further into the shadows of the booth. Someone knowing exactly where to find her is a bad, bad thing, even if they know nothing of her past. But the thought of a woman in dire need and a community rallying but failing to protect her, stokes the fire that had burned in Grizel's heart since that day so long ago. The day she died and was reborn as a sword of vengeance.

Born a commoner and not one for fancy words, she says grimly from the shadows of her hood, "I'll answer this summons. Alone if I must, though it looks like we're all in agreement here. Rest and then tomorrow we'll see what's what. But don't sleep too soundly. Think about it: people know who we are and where to find us."
Last edited July 5, 2015 1:14 pm
Jul 3, 2015 10:48 am
Now all in agreement, you sleep soundly that night. A pale, soft mist carpets the dirt outside when you awaken. The bar is strangely empty downstairs, and as you exit the tavern you spot the Svalich woods to the west, barely showing through the screen of fog. Like a painting, it has a firm semblance of reality.
Jul 3, 2015 5:55 pm
Lysander practically hops down the stairs, but is somewhat considerate of those still sleeping. He heads to the stables and begins to saddle Steel, his war horse. He figures the stable boys probably are supposed to do this for him, but he is a trained soldier. He wouldn't feel right unless he inspected their work was sufficient, and if he was going to bother with doing that he might as well do it himself and let the.boys sleep more, or at least give them one less chore to do before the others on their list.

In a short, but not sloppy amount of time Lysander and Steel are prepped and ready to ride. When his companions appear they are greeted with a warm chipper smile and a hearty "Good Morning!"
Last edited July 3, 2015 5:56 pm
Jul 4, 2015 3:21 am
Refreshed and ready for the travels ahead of us, I merrily enter the common area of the tavern to await the group gather. Upon being greeted so warmly by Lysander, I can't help but smile. Truly I have surrounded myself with good people. "And a very good morning to you, Lysander." I take my seat, wondering if breakfast will be served. "Are we the first to rise?"
Jul 4, 2015 3:58 am
"It seems so."
Jul 4, 2015 6:04 am
Lysander and Faelor hear a whinny and a clatter at the gate. It is Grizel with a new war horse. She has been up much earlier than they, it appears, communing with her deity and summoning a steed. For as long as the others have known her Grizel has summoned a new steed almost every day partly to maintain her anonymity. None of them know what evil she escaped from - she never speaks of it. They have heard her refer to herself as The Orphan on more than one occasion, and the scar that mars her beautiful face seems to have something to do with it as well.

Grizel enters the yard on a black destrier with white fetlocks. And greets Lysander and Faelor by rising her mailed fist. "Mornin'! Are the others still sleepin'? I'm anxious t'be on our way."
Last edited July 4, 2015 2:33 pm

Rolls

Warhorse HP [Find Steed] - (3d10+3)

(516) + 3 = 15

Jul 4, 2015 12:41 pm
Iskandil climbs down from the hayloft when he hears the others in the stable. He leads his donkey out and puts him in the harness of the cart. He seems none the worse for wear this morning, but sniffs the breeze enthusiastically before he faces the group.
"I guess we're ready to go, " he says, taking a playful swing at the mist with his staff.
Jul 4, 2015 1:22 pm
Katerina finishes clasping on her armor over her traveling clothes. She tests the sheath speed of her swords before stowing the dual Mordentish rapiers by her sides. She too head down the stairs but with nowhere near the energy of Lysander. If she is going to travel a long distance, she will have to find a horse to borrow. Finding appropriate accommodations does not take long and she meets the others at the inn.

How much to borrow a horse? If it's too expensive Katerina will just walk.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.