General discussion

load previous
Oct 15, 2015 6:11 am
I'm sorry, I misread and thought that only Zinn saw the movement up on the balcony. Grizel would have reacted to it instantly, at the same time that Zinn alerts the rest of the party. How high up is that balcony? Is it 30ft or less? I intend to Misty Step up there.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:55 am
Oct 15, 2015 7:51 am
Were those attack rolls against us?
Oct 15, 2015 8:04 am
Grizel can't see it, but the balcony is 50ft up. (Huge distance between each floor). The creature spent a whole turn coming down the wall (rolled 26 on stealth) and also won initiative. The creature was visible to all after the surprise round, and everyone may act on initiative
Oct 15, 2015 8:05 am
I also forgot to give Zin some info - will post shortly
Oct 15, 2015 10:02 am
Cool! I'll post in an hour or two. I have to run some errands, and I've only got my iPad which isn't very easy to post with. Time to see that swashbuckling in action!
Oct 15, 2015 10:43 pm
What is initiative for this combat?
Oct 15, 2015 10:52 pm
I haven't posted it but the rolls are there. It's a pain to do on the phone.
Oct 16, 2015 12:42 am
I just helped you out. :)
Oct 19, 2015 6:53 am
We're in for a long wait, because themightykobold isn't online very often anymore.
Oct 19, 2015 8:11 am
Feel free to post before your turn. If I have waiting posts I can skip/take a player's turn if they are not posting
Oct 19, 2015 10:27 am
Oh good. Being last in the initiative can be a really long wait.
Oct 19, 2015 10:38 am
To minimize this problem in my games I run combat as "monster v player" initiative blocks, and during the player block players act in whatever order they post in. Once there is only one player left, if I have time, I'll post the monster round and then that player will get a double turn. Keeps the game going at a good pace through combat (I think it also encourages more regular checking-in, but I couldn't say for sure).
Oct 19, 2015 11:00 am
Are you ok with intelligence checks to see if we know what this creature is or to know anything about it? For example, if it were a troll, would it be common knowledge or a roll that it takes fire or acid to do any real damage to it?
Oct 19, 2015 11:24 am
unique_exemplar says:
Oh good. Being last in the initiative can be a really long wait.
Yeah, tell me about it! I seem to be last in initiative in ALL of my games at the moment! :-D
Last edited October 19, 2015 11:25 am
Oct 19, 2015 12:05 pm
Candi, I've started using a similar system that I found in End of the World. I choose which "side" of a confrontation gets starting initiative then each "side" in the combat gets a round. I haven't done any sort of interspersed version but it still does work well for forum posting.
Oct 19, 2015 2:37 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Are you ok with intelligence checks to see if we know what this creature is or to know anything about it? For example, if it were a troll, would it be common knowledge or a roll that it takes fire or acid to do any real damage to it?
Absolutely, it's basically stipulated in the PHB. Of course there are things that are impossible or even harder/easier to know, depending on your character's background. Such ability checks generally take an action though
Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm
I'm not sure about IN yet. I find the speed initiative tempting for play-by-post play. You choose an action and roll initiative each round. Each action has a 'speed factor' modifier to it (spells/heavy weapons are slower, light weapons fast)

The 'side initiative' is convenient and fast, I may use it in the future if we are waiting too much for posts.

I would encourage players to post early if they can. Thanks for your thoughts
Oct 25, 2015 11:39 am
Sorry that took so long folks. If I'm ever holding things up and it's been a day, I probably saw the post and didn't reply to it then forgot.
Oct 25, 2015 2:43 pm
Been there done that
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.