Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Sep 8, 2015 2:28 pm
Victor takes a puff from the pipe. He looks over the craftsmanship of the pipe, then before leaving the group he gives a customary bow which was a common gesture among his clan. One foot extended with his heel on the ground, his arms out to his sides. He hopes this is a universal enough gesture to convey his appreciation of their hospitality.

Victor turns to continue his walk towards the tent with the pipe in hand. After a few steps, as he walks, he does the familiar gesture and utters the magic words, in the blink of an eye he vanishes. After a few moments, just as instantaneously, he appears inside the tent and without a word he takes another puff on the pipe.

[ OOC: Victor cast Blink and appears inside the tent. I'm assuming since it is not in combat I can simply use it to teleport somewhere once. I'll spend the slot to use the effect if that is okay. ]
Sep 8, 2015 3:27 pm
It's an interesting use for a 3rd level spell, but a valid one!

The gypsy was about to speak a word of parting, but the crowd fades to a blur as Victor is sucked out of the material plane. Walking inside the veiled image of the tent, Victor reappears inside the tent with the party. Madame Eva was already looking in your direction.

"Hello Victor, little Aritche. Is that choking grass? Would you be kind enough to share?

Victor feels a tickle in his throat, but overcomes the urge to cough. She was playing with your mind through the power of suggestion, for it tastes like ordinary pipeweed.

"The fates favour this one. If he perseveres, a great master of his trade he will become. Riches are the key, but the door is veiled by light."

She seems to be addressing herself only.

"Grizel, the one who wields death, even over those she loves when the time calls for it. In her search for justice she is a danger to the haughty, but does she align to fate or do the winds lead her along the unerring path?" She looks up to you, smiling knowingly.

And Justice you have indeed found. Justice with a white heart, one that is jaded by many internal forces. A traveller, but not one of mundane sort. What little it would take to shatter that precious porcelain shell?"

Rolls

Victor WIS save - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Sep 8, 2015 3:43 pm
"Wouldn't be right to covet what has been shared freely, would it madame?", he willingly hands the pipe over, not entirely sure what is happening, but knowing there was to be a Madame ...something... in this tent. The name escapes him. As the name floats into his mind Victor subconsciously thumbs the button to open and close the copper crows beak.

"Eva!", the crow caws in its high mock voice. As this event is seen more and more it is becoming all too clear that the crows voice is simply Victor speaking for the crow, in a high mock voice.

A moment later he lets out a small dry cough, that choking grass certainly earned it's name. His throat feels abnormally dry. He tries to restrain further coughs to seem as though it is nothing new to him.

Rolls

Performance Check to see if I'm playing it cool - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Sep 8, 2015 3:59 pm
She draws on the pipe, holding it with her mouth, and releases folds of smoke onto the tarot cards she is shuffling with practised skill.

"Relax, aritche, there are no ill effects to experience from mere pipeweed."

Looking at Grizel, she explains: "I have only the truth told to me by the stars and fates. They know why you are here, but not the path you will take, but you will dance with them. They wish to tell you something through the cards, for the cards speak of the workings of many true things. If you will allow it, I will ask of them on your behalf. What say you?"

Turning back to victor:

"Tell me the name of the crow spirit who spoke my name. Come, little bird, do not be shy."
Sep 8, 2015 4:21 pm
Victor bows the staff forward a bit, "Tis but a the vessel to contain my friend, Nightshade." Victor utters a command in gnomish as he presses the button on the staff to open the mouth of the staff. A small black mist pours out and whirls around victor as it forms into a Raven on his shoulder. In his physical form he may share my thoughts, but he doesn't speak so well.

"Speak so well," the raven echoes as it mimics Victor's voice.

"Unfortunately, when he is dismissed to the vessel, he still holds a link to my mind. Though, he certainly helps me remember.", Victor says as he breaks a small bit of bread from a ration and hands it to the now physical bird.

"Remember.", the crow caws after finishing it's bread.
Sep 8, 2015 4:34 pm
"Aahh, a lesser spirit. You are welcome here, Nightshade."

She thrusts her hand into a fold in her clothing, and retrieves a morsel of fresh, plump barley, which she throws towards Nightshade to catch.

"For who else do the fates read for the benefit of this day?"
Sep 8, 2015 4:46 pm
I entered behind Victor, having lingered briefly outside to finish my evaluation of the camp before entering the tent with the others. Stepping inside I watch patiently as the Madame and Victor converse. As a matter of habit my eyes search the tent interior. Not looking for valuables. In my former trade, such things were of no concern until the owners were robbed of their life, or at least subdued. No, I habitually search for structural weaknesses, escape routes, ambush points and opportunities. This instinct has helped me escape more than a few bad situations, and earned me some renown as a tavern brawler. It is a significant advantage to be aware of the distance and placement of tables and chandeliers when your combat skills have been honed on the rigging of a rocking ship.
Last edited September 8, 2015 4:46 pm
Sep 8, 2015 5:52 pm
Justice, now more suspicious then ever, looks the Teller up and down. Trying to smell any trace of her... "family" on her. She does it curiously, of course. Now that she stands besides a Paladin, perhaps she can finally undo the wrong and make herself right in front of the church.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Sep 9, 2015 12:55 am
Standing just behind Victor, the events inside the tent were amusing, as shown by my small smile as I watch Nightshade appear. Not one to speak out of turn, I remain silent until being called upon.
Sep 9, 2015 11:16 am
Madame Eva has a thick, exotic perfume smell.

"The Black Queen, you call yourself? There IS a certain darkness about her. Perhaps all of you are here as punishment for a betrayal of sorts, whether you are aware of it or not. The mists are not certain..."

"Falfaelor, your token represents chaos and destabilisation, I cannot comment further. You share a oneness with the fates, that much is certain."

She makes no comment about Kat, but holds a brief, but prolonged, stare.

"My time is precious, now will you accept a reading? It will make certain the ambiguity of the realities you face."
Sep 9, 2015 2:57 pm
I consider Madame Eva's words about destabilization. It doesn't sound favorable for my family and the land I will likely inherit one day.
Sep 9, 2015 3:05 pm
"Do not look anxious, child. Law and Chaos are brothers. Where you find one, the other will follow, in time"
Sep 9, 2015 3:06 pm
"Yes, Madam, please help us. What do th' stars an' fates tell ye about Strahd?"
Last edited September 9, 2015 3:07 pm
Sep 9, 2015 4:00 pm
Justice turns away from the teller, refusing to make eye contact and, instead, looks toward Grizel who spoke up. Her eyes twitch slowly, but there is only a twinge of confusion.
Sep 9, 2015 4:52 pm
I fold my arms over my chest, my face displaying relaxed disinterest. Is this really our best lead? A card-wielding gypsy who tells fortunes and reads the stars. If I have hitched myself to a wagon of fools, at least they will draw the ire and attention of this Strahd creature that has brought us here.
Sep 10, 2015 12:06 am
Katerina looks plainly into the eyes of the seer. She is always skeptical of these displays and her cold vacancy is only doubly so now. She waits to hear what the soothsayer has to divulge about Strahd before she will speak up.
Last edited September 10, 2015 12:06 am
Sep 10, 2015 9:04 am
"May the fates and stars treat with us kindly..."

She pauses over the deck, before drawing the first card, which she places to one side on the table.
http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/maj04.jpg
"This card is a symbol of great power. It tells of a powerful force for good and protection against the forces of darkness."
http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/cups01.jpg
"This is a very bad sign. This is in the very heart of darkness: his home, his source. It is his center and his life. It is the one place to which he must return. However, There is a very good influence there. If you are there, the powers of good will aid you."

She places the second card so that it overlaps the first, as if the two are related in some way.
Sep 10, 2015 10:51 am
I watch in wonder, intrigued by Madame Eva's card ritual. I'm reminded of the travelers that would visit my home when I was younger.
Sep 10, 2015 11:50 am
http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/maj02.jpg

"This card tells of history. Knowledge of the ancient may help you understand a foe."

http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/wands13.jpg

"This is the mother’s place. The wand is a dark shadow of evil cast over that place. You fight under its influence here."
Sep 10, 2015 11:53 am
http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/maj15.jpg

"This is the object of your search! Ah! I see darkness and evil behind this card! It is a powerful man whose enemy is light and whose powers are beyond mortality!"

http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/pents11.jpg

"He lies with a fallen prince of old. The brother of dark is light and lies resting in this place. The Pentacle blesses your skill there, but bodes poorly for your protection"

She goes to draw another card
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.