Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Aug 24, 2015 4:47 pm
Katerina suffers an AOO from the bats but they only flitter on and off her armour. She moves in place, blocking Strahd from the hallway. 2 attacks connect.

Ireena flanks with her, swinging a dagger.

Faelor is bitten by the remaining bat hovering in his space (1 failed death save)

Lysander is also assaulted by bats

Rolls

Bats (a) bite Katerina - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Ireena slashes at Strahd, flanking - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

Damage - (1d4+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Steel morale - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Bats g bite faelor - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Faelor damage - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Bats (a) bite Lysander - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Damage - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Bats h bite Iskandil - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Bats c bite Katerina - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Ireena aoo vs Bats c - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Aug 25, 2015 10:29 am
Round 6
Bats c (20, badly injured)[/color]
Lysander (20)
Wolf d (16)
Iskandil (16, dying)
Bats e (15)[/color]
Falfaelor (14, near death, prone)
Grizel (weakened, dying) and Alastor (14)
Katerina (13, weakened)
Ireena (11)
Steel (7)
Bats a (3, injured)
http://tbx.me/9osCq.png
Aug 27, 2015 11:57 pm
Laying there unconscious, I dream of my home with all the comforts and luxuries I gave up to adventure.
[OOC: Don't I have to make 3 successful saving throws (10+) in a row to become stable?]

Rolls

Death Saving Throw - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Aug 28, 2015 8:49 am
A 20 means you're back in at 1hp and can immediately take a turn (start prone). They don't have to be consecutive

Lysander casts Sacred Flame on bats a, exuding radiant light like a barrier but dissipating harmlessly.

Wolf d jumps over Faelor's body, lunging at Katerina.

Iskandil smacks Strahd with his magically imbued quarterstaff.

"I MUST LEAVE NOW! I bid you farewell..."

Strahd tries to clear a path through Iskandil. Ireena and Katerina will get AoO if he can make it!

Iskandil falls, taking a punch on the ground. Strahd flees up the hallway, followed by bats (disengage). Strahd shoots further out of sight, leaping over the smouldering fire.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!", his voice echoes, audible probably throughout Barovia. The bats and wolves twitch responsively, ready to guard their master's retreat.
http://tbx.me/5YryEp.png

Rolls

Bats a dex save - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Wolf d bites Katerina, pack tactics - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Katerina damage - (2d4+2)

(43) + 2 = 9

Iskandil quarterstaff (2h) Strahd - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Damage - (1d8+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Strahd bite Iskandil - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

Strahd strike Iskandil - (1d20+9)

(7) + 9 = 16

Overrun Iskandil if necessary - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Ireena aoo Strahd - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Iskandil damage (piercing, necrotic, bludgeoning) - (1d6+4, 3d6, 1d8+4)

1d6+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

3d6 : (524) = 11

1d8+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Aug 28, 2015 4:07 pm
Attacking Strahd's retreating form.

Rolls

Opportunity Attack - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Damage - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Aug 29, 2015 12:43 am
With a surge of willpower to stay in the living realm, my eyes open wide suddenly only to see Strahd retreat with that ridiculous quip. "WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS WAS THAT ABOUT?!" I shout as I slam my fist on the ground, angry at being played with. That's when I realize the other creatures are still present. Redirecting my anger to them, I quickly summon magical energy to launch beams of fire at the wolf and swarms of bats.
[OOC: casting Scorching Ray at wolf d, bats c & d.]

Rolls

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Scorching Ray - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Scorching Ray - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Scorching Ray - (2d6)

(35) = 8

Ranged attack - wolf d - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Ranged attack - bats c - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Ranged attack - bats d - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

Aug 29, 2015 7:34 am
The creatures are all evidently retreating from whence they came.

Strahd's hollow laughter echoes throughout the night, reverberating with unnatural force. He is far beyond your reach now, but it certainly doesn't feel like your last meeting.

The remainder of the creatures swarm around you, although less aggressive it seems.
http://tbx.me/_BKAV.png

Rolls

Grizel death save - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Katerina attacks bat H - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Katerina attacks bat C - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Katerina attacks bat C - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

damage - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Ireena tries to stabilise Grizel - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Steel morale - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Sep 1, 2015 12:52 pm
The creatures are gone. Ireena stems the bleeding from Grizel's neck, and now all you can hear from them are the echoes of Strahd's laughter.

There is little you can do but to regather, tend to wounds and take a long rest. (we can meet the new players then as well!)

Long rest - Regain 1/2 of total hitdice, all HP and spell slots, etc.

All players who participated gain 808 experience points

The following morning when you wake, it appears that Iskandil, Sindar and Lysander left during the night with Hotay and Steel, leaving no clue as to why.

"Something is different", muses Ireena. "I have never seen the Count attack with such aggression. Perhaps we should attend the church to Pholtus to speak with the priest. I am not well received there but you may go. We also should visit the Tavern and possibly Madame Eva, who has the most knowledge of all in the village. Getting it from her will be a challenge I suspect..."

The day is dark outside, sun obscured by clouds and heavy fog.
Sep 1, 2015 4:56 pm
As her wounds heal, Grizel is haunted by fevered dreams. Fangs...dark, fluttering, chittering... claws...filthy, clammy fog... Forgive me, lady, but may I come in?" The vampyr's face is that of Garrett Carnley. He forces open the door to Grizel's room... poor Jonas and Ellie... Wolves everywhere, snarling, drooling...she thought they were her friends! Wolves in friends' clothing. She killed them all to get to the Lords Carnley. She killed them all but Strahd stops her... He toys with her like a puppet. Laughs at her. He pushes her down. Umbert Carnley. Garret Carnley. Strahd.

Grizel wakes with a start. "STRAHD!!"
Last edited September 1, 2015 5:37 pm
Sep 1, 2015 5:22 pm
Grumpy from an uncomfortable sleep, I look at Grizel without turning my head, tired eyes stare at the paladin. "The child monster is gone. Apparently he was done playing with us." After my experience with Strahd, I am convinced that we were being playing with.
Sep 2, 2015 9:15 am
"You seem distressed, Grizel. Do not fear, there are no ill effects from the bite that cannot be reversed with rest..."

All PCs who lost max hp regain upon long rest

"I know little of him...but I know this. His mind is powerful, but it is not sound. The power that is given him, to that creature, must too instill madness, but not of the usual kind. Obsession, jealousy and fear seem to torture his mind.

Perhaps your description is more accurate, and his sensibilities are truly infantile"
Sep 3, 2015 2:31 am
Katerina is unable to sleep restfully. Throughout the night she wakes, starting at the shadows. Something about all this reminds her of forgotten memories. She tries to go back to sleep and eventually finds the fitful slumber enough to restore her for the day.

When she wakes she dons fresh clothes and puts on her armor over. She listens as Ireena and Grizel speak. "This Madame, why would she make difficult the retrieval of inportant informations? Does not this vampyr threaten her as well?"
Sep 3, 2015 11:38 am
"Madame eva is neutral in all matters, subject only to the fates and stars. "Their will is my will", she always says. All the gypsies keep to their own...except for the tavern, which belongs to them. When the creatures come out at night I'd be glad to have them around. If you want to see her, they reside on the road to the castle"
Sep 3, 2015 5:54 pm
Grizel struggles to a sitting position. She finds that her friends have washed her wounds and stacked her armor and weapons carefully nearby. Wordlessly she starts putting her armor on starting with the sabatons and the greaves, and working her way up. She listens to her friends speak with Ireena about what to do next. She stays quiet, busying herself with her vambraces.

Grizel is afraid. She almost died last night, but that is not what chills her to the bone. Strahd made a puppet out of her. A toy. After what the Carnlys had done to her she had sworn no man would ever treat her like that again - a plaything to be tossed aside when one is finished. But that monster did, and without even lifting a finger. She must end him!

Her dark thoughts are interrupted when she realizes she cannot feel Alastor through the bond. Did he perish during the fight? She finishes with her armor, and straps on her weapons. If Alastor has gone back to his home plane then she will need to find a new steed.
Last edited September 3, 2015 7:13 pm
Sep 3, 2015 6:30 pm
Still in a rather sour mood, I watch Grizel don her armor. The worry is etched into her face. My own visage softens as I pull myself out of my own dark well of emotions. We had all nearly died, but she had been violated in a far worse manner. I didn't have to know her whole story to understand her feelings about what had happened last night. It was times like these my mother would say some kind nicety to placate someone, but there were no appropriate words to say to her now. Grizel seemed more like a person of action.
"We should see this Madam Eva right away. We know very little and it's precisely people like her that can shed light on ... our situation."
Sep 3, 2015 10:41 pm
Alastor is alive, at full health, but hungry and thirsty. Nutrition is needed for him to retain material form, but he can go hungry for a while.

Ireena agrees and quietly leads you back to the village square. She begins to turn you down the west road past the river, but several figures emerge through the fog, with a recognisable invitation letter.

enter the new players!
Sep 3, 2015 11:14 pm
"Oh hello there travelers, ho!", you hear in a high mock voice. As the figure nears you see a small rock gnome next to a tall quarterstaff. The top of the staff is created in a copper crows head. "Yes, yes, you there.", the staff says, the beak of the crow is moving, voicing the words. As it speaks to you again you notice that the mouth of the gnome is also moving. He also seems to be flipping something on the handle of the staff.

In a lower, and more normal voice the gnome chastises the crows head, "Hush now bird, let me handle this", he then turns and addresses you directly, "Could you assist us? I think this is the direction we should indeed be traveling. But I'm not so certain." he is wildly waving a small folded letter.
Sep 3, 2015 11:24 pm
A Tiefling approaches you cautiously, the letter gripped firmly in her hand. She says nothing, but listens intently to every word being spoken. You can tell she is almost forcing herself to have a nice and friendly smile on her face. Her hands are constantly shaking, but she does not appear nervous nor anxious.
She will nod once as she approaches.
Sep 4, 2015 12:07 am
The gnome looks back over his shoulder at the Tiefling for a moment, then whispers to you, "We met a few miles down the road, she has been like this the whole way. Not a very good traveling companion." His whisper is maybe a bit too loud.
Sep 4, 2015 12:24 am
"Meet and be met, travelers. Your invitation to this dismal place is unfortunately some elaborate ruse, one that my companions and I are on the way to solve. I know not what manner of travelers you are but the foe here is a dark creature of the night and is powerful beyond measure. Our wounds and furrowed brows are testament to his skill. I hope you are formidable allies or this town may very well end up your grave."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.