Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Dec 19, 2016 6:22 pm
Edcrab says:
OOC:
At its simplest an aspect ability simply means an effect that's tied to an attribute: the aspect is lost if the attribute suffers an injury. Aspect abilities tend to be weaker and/or more specific than the stat bonuses granted by Resources, so perhaps something along the lines of a further +2 bonus when defending against a single nominated target, e.g. in this instance the Major? But if either you or Albionest has a suggestion, go for it.
OOC:
That's great. Let's say +2 to defense, and an additional +2 to defense against a single target.
Dec 19, 2016 6:43 pm
OOC:
Serana's Defence in this turn is an impressive 16 (STR + Melee + guard action's 2 + Pudge's 4 + Reave's 1)

Reave would chip in with an effect due to the critical but Wilhelm's roll beat the squad so thoroughly there was no need!

Wilhelm: HP 6/7
Serana: HP 3/6 EP 1/3
Pudge: HP 6/8

(all three PCs are unchanged in HP/EP since last turn)

Arbiter 1: Killed in action
Arbiter 2: HP 5/6
Lyra: HP 7/7

Left squadron: ELIMINATED!
Right squadron: HP 3/8 (2 per unit)

Sharpshooter 1: HP 3/4
Sharpshooter 3: ELIMINATED!

Major: HP 9/14
http://i.imgur.com/xPULrGf.png

Wilhelm's every twist and lash and feint has a follow-up. No movement is wasted, no opening is left untested. To their credit the Mercs never showed fear, never fell back... and for their bravery they're obliterated in a storm of slashes and cuts.

The Major brings both blades crashing down towards Serana and, although his frozen face doesn't show it, he's shocked to see her nimbly sidestep away and strike back in the same fluid motion. Pudge's flexibility upgrade lets Serana use the Major's mechanical style against him: he may be fast, but his tactics are unchanging and predictable.

The Arbiters are starting to flag, their attacks becoming more sluggish, struggling to wound when they connect. Two rifle shots sound out. There's a choked cry, and Lyra whirls around to see one of her Arbiters die on his feet, head bowed, held upright by his power armour's servos.

Ignoring the other renegades, Lyra wordlessly hurtles towards the nearest Sharpshooter, piercing her chest and pinning her to the concrete. Lyra rips her glaive free with a vicious twist and turns to the last one, blood dramatically dripping down the handle of her ceremonial weapon.

Rolls

Major's melee attack - (1d20+6, 2d10+3)

1d20+6 : (15) + 6 = 21

2d10+3 : (11) + 3 = 5

Arbiter attacks - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d20+4)

1d20+3 : (18) + 3 = 21

1d20+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

Arbiter damages - (1d8+1, 1d8+1, 3d6)

1d8+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d8+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

3d6 : (634) = 13

Sharpshooter combined attack - (1d20+5, 2d4+4)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

2d4+4 : (13) + 4 = 8

Dec 21, 2016 3:52 pm
Wilhelm dashes for the last merc sniper and slides to take his legs off.

Rolls

cut em up - (1d20+4, 1d8+4)

1d20+4 : (19) + 4 = 23

1d8+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Dec 22, 2016 6:05 pm
Serana aims to try and cut away some of the majors plating. Making him more vulnerable to attacks.
OOC:
not sure if that needs a roll but just in case
Last edited December 22, 2016 6:06 pm

Rolls

roll - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Jan 3, 2017 4:50 pm
As the cannon warms up for another shot, Pudge again cycles through the different modes. Can't use "shredder" if I'm going after that hulk who's engaged with Serana. The third setting on the weapon is "Sniper." That sounds right. Let's see what happens." When Pudge selects the Sniper Mode, his implant pulls up an electronic targeting system. Using his rigged manual controls in conjunction with the targeting program, he's able to get a cleaner look at taking a shot at the Major, who seems even less human up close through the targeting imagery than Pudge imagined. Just as he's about to initiate fire, he calls out over comms, "Serana, fire in the hole!"
OOC:
You cool with Sniper mode giving an additional +2 to hit and -2 to damage?
Last edited January 3, 2017 4:51 pm

Rolls

Looking for a head shot - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Sniper damage - (3d6+2)

(663) + 2 = 17

Jan 3, 2017 9:40 pm
OOC:
Yeah, that sounds fair.
Lyra's Arbiter struggles to hold his own against two enemies. Their knives are starting to slice into actuators and vital components instead of merely scraping across metal. Every successful hit is another pebble on the mountain of malfunctions that's threatening to incapacitate the Arbiter's power armour in an avalanche of glitches: he's at their mercy.

Serana's uppercut staggers the Major, peeling away a layer of plating from his upper chest and skinning his forehead, taking a slice out of the purple-black subdermal shielding beneath it. No wonder he can barely move his face! The Major raises his arms to strike but Serana hears Pudge's warning and hops backwards...

A lance of blinding white plasma screams down the courtyard. The Major freezes. Then he turns, slowly, back to Serana. There's a glowing hole in the top-right of his head.

The last sharpshooter is so focused on Lyra that he doesn't notice Wilhelm charging in until his legs are swept away. Before his face can connect with the concrete, Lyra's glaive meets it on the upswing. His head goes in one direction and his lower body the other.

Impossibly, the Major still manages to take a swing at Serana. She avoids it effortlessly: the motion is twitchy and exaggeratedly slow. A good chunk of the Major's skull is missing, exposing silvery implants webbed through charred flesh that might have originally been grey matter. The cyborg raises his blades... and falls backwards with an earthshaking crunch, as if his fractured mind has finally registered what happened. The towering Merc lies still.

Behind him, something emerges from the entrance he'd been guarding. A freight tram, squat and rusted but perfectly functional. The Major and his team must have been waiting for its arrival when the Arbiters attacked.

The remaining Mercenaries have had enough. They break, ignoring the Arbiter, fleeing towards the courtyard exit and the relative safety of the coastline beyond the Ivory Cliff perimeter.

Reave has left the APC. She takes aim at one of the retreating Mercs and then thinks better of it, returning her pistol to its holster.

Lyra spins around in surprise. "Reave? What are you doing h—?"

The Enforcer raises a hand to stop her. "Any questions can be saved until we're on that freight tram. I doubt we have long until the cannon is brought online."

Lyra begrudgingly concedes. She orders the last of her Arbiter comrades to stay behind: considering the sad state of his armour, he's only too happy to oblige.
OOC:
Encounter over! Pudge and Serana have recovered the Resources that Valon locked out. In addition, Serana has recovered 1 of her spent Edge points.

Rolls

Squad morale - (1d20+4)

Secret Roll

Jan 6, 2017 9:30 pm
Serana is breathing heavily... The Major would've been bad news without the rest of the team backing her up. But she's feeling better about the party's chances. She goes to Pudge to help him move the Hellfire cannon to the tram.

"Do you think we can trust Lyra?" Serana asks the others very quietly. "She was part of Graves-Burton's bodyguard contingent after all."
Last edited January 6, 2017 9:35 pm
Jan 6, 2017 9:58 pm
Wilhelm digs a knife into his shoulder and pries the bullet out. "If we can't, her armor is heavily damaged and she's wounded. We'll take care of it."
Jan 8, 2017 4:03 pm
"I trust her as much as I trust anybody that I just met. Although, to be fair, I can usually get a pretty good read on people, and we did just save her life. But, Wilhelm is right. She'll be useful if she is trustworthy and discarded if she isn't. This is no time to be turning down potential allies, and it's also no time to be overly neighborly. Either way, maybe I should talk to her."

Pudge spends a few moments mounting the cannon to the tram with Serana's help, and setting up a control program so he's not quite literally pulling strings.

After that, he approaches Lyra. "Come here often?" Pudge manages a weak smile, acknowledging that his joke is probably not in good taste given the events that have just transpired. "Honestly, though, what in the galaxy is going on right now?"
Last edited January 8, 2017 4:06 pm
Jan 8, 2017 7:30 pm
Serana lifts heavy crates and other odds and ends on to the tram. Trying to make some cover. And trying to look busy while she listens to Pudge and Lyra's conversation.
Jan 8, 2017 8:05 pm
"It's all out war is what it is!" Lyra grimaces. "The communications network came back online and we heard Chief Cáceres' distress call. The embassy sent everyone they could and these traitorous bastards shot down our shuttle... and I hear they killed the Lord Councillor!"

"Armani killed Graves-Burton," Reave says matter-of-factly.

Lyra gasps, looking to Pudge in intense shock. "My god! I can't believe it! How did—?"

Reave snorts. "Oh as if it even matters. Armani, Burton, the Vault— all irrelevant while these sore losers are trying to bombard the city."

Lyra pauses. "The Vault? Was it opened?"

Reave suddenly seems intensely interested in the state of her boots. "Like I said. Let's just... let's just focus on the task at hand."

Serana has placed containers behind the tram's perimeter railings and Pudge has mounted the Hellfire cannon on the small loading arm at its fore. They've effectively turned the innocous flat-bed rail transport into a mobile machine gun nest.
OOC:
When you're all ready, the tram will take you to the last area. You must gather your party before venturing forth
Jan 8, 2017 9:32 pm
Wilhelm sits down on a crate near the conversation between Reave and Lyra. "The death of Graves-Burton is the least important event of the last few hours. Spineless cowards are a dime a dozen. There's a being by the name of Valon who's escaping off world as we speak. He came through a portal in the deepest depths of the vault, killed every mercenary in a three click radius, and is on his way to the vast void of space to come to grips with the fact that the world he knew died long ago. We destroyed the Vault before coming here to prevent more needless death."
Jan 8, 2017 11:13 pm
"I just worry that there are other Vaults out there. I don't want to imagine what would happen if Valon gets help from others like him." She manages a weak smile. "But hey! That's the next mission. And this one is nearly done."
Jan 12, 2017 1:48 pm
Lyra is quiet. Even Reave seems lost in her thoughts... or perhaps in other people's thoughts.

A press of a button has the tram screaming up a spiral ramp at 80mph. A snail's pace by modern standards but nonetheless a nerve-wracking journey as the rickety old vehicle violently rattles in near-darkness. Even with the noisy engine beneath the party's feet the sounds of distant battle still reach their ears.

And something else. It's crackly and difficult to make out above the orchestra of background noise but a woman's voice is speaking over the announcement system.

"I saw you fight Major Orstein over the cameras. A pity he had to go out that way, but I'm sure you'd argue that you had little choice but to kill him. I didn't exactly see him offer you an alternative."

The tram begins to slow. It has nearly reached the central peak of the Ivory Cliff complex.

"So allow me to offer one: go back the way you came. Walk away from all this. What is it going to take for you to stop?"
OOC:
EDIT: Whoops just realised I didn't let Pudge reply, sorry! Let me know if he wants to get a word in, I can easily delete and remake this post
Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm
OOC:
Nope. Carry on.
Pudge turns to the others, "did y'all hear that?" Then after a second of silence, "do you think we should respond?"
Jan 14, 2017 10:06 pm
"I wouldn't dignify her with an answer." Serana pauses. "Well I would, but I can't think of anything witty."
Jan 15, 2017 8:38 pm
Wilhelm is just silently looking for a security camera.
Jan 15, 2017 11:16 pm
As the tram draws to a halt Wilhelm spies a camera overlooking the platform: there are no doubt others dotted around the area, positioned to monitor anyone trying to approach the control hub.

Noticing Wilhelm's discovery, Reave puts a finger to her lips. I'm picking up seven minds, Reave telepathically broadcasts to the party, but that's not accounting for any drones or mechs. We should be careful.

The heart of the Ivory Cliff base is a web of walkways and rooms suspended by cables and held aloft by rusting columns. The tram lines zig-zag beneath everything, serviced by a few freight elevators and primitive robotic loading arms. There are staircases and ladders all over, but they all seem to be in various states of disrepair and none look particularly safe.

Much of the chamber is lost in shadow but the central hub is lit up brightly, a bulbous stalactite of metal connected to both the rafters and the floor by a quartet of massive girders with a flat-bed elevator situated between them. And at the top of it all sits the cannon: a huge piece of artillery built to take down hostile capital ships in past centuries. It's dormant at present, its telescopic barrel collapsed and the roof hatch shut.

Four massive platforms are connected to the hub like the petals of an ugly reinforced-concrete flower. Each is home to a complicated mechanical loader, ready to feed the cannon a constant supply of shells. Very few seem to remain but judging by the symbols on the hoppers...

They're nuclear. The cannon is nuclear. The city wouldn't stand a chance.

The announcement system crackles again, slightly less distorted than the last time. "Perhaps you need to think on it. But I repeat the question: what would it take for you to stop this idiocy? What do you even hope to accomplish?"
[ +- ] Serana
[ +- ] Pudge
[ +- ] Wilhelm

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jan 16, 2017 12:58 am
Pudge calls out to the disembodied voice, "uh, yeah, hello? I don't think we realized we could order off the menu. Can I get a Y-bone steak, warm red center, the real thing too. None of that replicator glue. Let's add a side of garlic chips and... some of those cool miniature apple jelly spheres? And, I hate to be that guy but can I get you to put the mint dust on the side? Sometimes the chef puts too much on and the balance of the dish is thrown off."

He pauses for dramatic effect, "and, I guess throw in stopping the war, handing over control of the anti-air canon AND phase gate, and, uh, returning that psychopath Valon to his cryo state, as long as we're ordering dessert. If you can swing that, we'll back off."

Pudge turns to Serana with a slight smirk and raises an eyebrow. "Y'all want anything?"
Jan 16, 2017 7:13 am
Wilhelm smiles at the smell of coming violence. "Snipers, I'll be having a heaping plate of diced snipers."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.