Chapter 1 - The Beginning

load previous
Sep 5, 2015 12:55 am
As you travel through the rest of the day you only briefly see another patrol of bullywogs. You are able to wait out their passing and proceed on. As night sets you keep a good pace although fatigue is slowly setting in. Keeping along the rivers edge makes the travel faster and easier, but as two bugbears step out of the woods on either side of your party you think maybe caution may have been a better solution.

The two hulking fur-covered beasts sneer and demand gold for passage. 300 gold pieces.
Sep 5, 2015 12:58 am
Hearing Crolwell's disappointment at not having a dagger, Aelar will pull one out and hand it over to him, "Here you are, friend"

Edit: Oops, a bit too late
Last edited September 5, 2015 12:58 am
Sep 5, 2015 1:06 am
Moving slowly to Xadira's side, Ütés whispers in elvish, "Are you healed enough should another fight break out?"
Sep 5, 2015 1:19 am
I whisper back in elvish "I'm alright, but to be honest I'm not equipped to handle these kinds of skirmishes. Perhaps next time I'll leave the fighting to the professionals such as Aelar. And yourself, of course."
Sep 5, 2015 1:25 am
"Crolwell, my good man. Do you have 300 gold pieces in your possession?" Ütés yells as she reaches for her shield.
Last edited September 5, 2015 1:27 am
Sep 5, 2015 1:50 am
As you are conversing a few more bugbears step out from the woods. You quickly become woefully outmatched. Most carry large spears and swords, some still stained with blood. As Ütés calls out Crolwell's name a strange blue glow starts to form in the treeline behind the group of bugbears. As it gets brighter and brighter you have to shield your eyes. Even indirectly the light fills your senses and overpowers them.

Just as you think the light can't grow any brighter, just as the night seems to turn to the brightest day, there is an incredibly loud ringing in your ears. The bugbears themselves are on their knees clutching at their ears, some are scratching deep ruts into their faces that soon begin dripping blood.

Then in an instant the light is gone, you find yourself on the ground, but no worse for wear. Looking around you see all of the bugbears are charred and smoking on the ground. All of them are dead. Looking at your own party you see everyone else standing back up, just as awestruck, except for one. Crolwell. He is standing where he was, seemingly unscathed, but looking closer you see he is not just unscathed, he is weeping.
Sep 5, 2015 2:10 am
"..What? What just happened?" I look back and forth between the different members of the group.
Sep 5, 2015 2:11 am
Crolwell weeps for a minute or two, not wanting to stop the flow of refreshing tears. All that time... he almost began to believe everyone else.
Springing to his feet the old man swings out his Pocket Fluba and blows a shrill note into the air.
Spinning toward the direction of Neverwinter he yells. "First, my young adventurers, to the Daggers! Then to the Bard! She is with us my friends! She is with us!"
With this announcement he picks up the skull of Beast and releases a Barbarian yell (he will then stick the skull in his pack). And charges in the direction of Neverwinter at full speed.
Sep 5, 2015 2:12 am
Aelar will climb back to his feet and stumble over to Crolwell, "Are you ok? What happened?" he will ask, concern evident in his voice.

Aelar whispers, "She? Who is 'She'?" He will then take off in a run after Crolwell.
Last edited September 5, 2015 2:14 am
Sep 5, 2015 2:20 am
Taft, still a little off balance looks around in wonder just as a barbarian comes barreling past him shouting about Neverwinter, The Daggers, and Bards. He quickly runs after the group. "Crolwell, my dear sir," he shouts after Crolwell, "Could you please refrain from shouting The Daggers at the top of your lungs? We are a hidden and secretive organization." He struggles to keep the ridiculous pace set by the barbarian.
Sep 5, 2015 2:28 am
Farther down the river Crolwell's voice comes bouncing back.
"Come! Come! To the hidden and secretive organization! And then to The Bard!"
Sep 5, 2015 2:31 am
Taft shouts to Utes, "Is this normal?", unsure exactly how long or short these travelers have known each other since the tavern.
Sep 5, 2015 2:33 am
"What bard? Who?" I follow as quickly as I'm able, which isn't that quickly at all. By the time I catch up I'm already winded. "I realize I said we should go quickly, but it is a long journey. Perhaps pacing ourselves would be a better idea?"
Sep 5, 2015 2:42 am
As most of the night is spent chasing Crolwell down, and then sprinting off after again as he starts talking of bards and daggers and becomes overexcited, you actually make incredibly good time. You don't encounter another force before day breaks. Exhuasted from your journey you come around a bend in the river and see, just in the distance, the walls of the city of Neverwinter. Banners wave at the top of guard towers set along the walls and foot traffic heads in and out of the bustling city. As you finally breathe a sigh of relief to be nearly out of the woods you feel as though you have become stronger after so many hardships. You hope to rest for the night soon so you can reflect on what you have learned and your own mistakes.

[ GM: You have all reached level 2. ]
Sep 5, 2015 2:44 am
"Nothing is normal when it comes to the old man!" Ütés blurts towards Taft as she tries to keep up.
Sep 5, 2015 2:46 am
"Crolwell, as excitable as you are, I would like that I do the speaking when we get into town. Brandishing a name like The Daggers in a crowded town is either likely to get you killed, or imprisoned as insane", he lets the last word hang in the air for a moment without saying anything, "...you don't want to be killed, do you? Is that what SHE would want?" He still has no clue who SHE is or what SHE means to Crolwell, but he does his best to persuade him. A look in Crolwell's eye tells him he may not be doing so well.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Sep 5, 2015 3:22 am
Crolwell thinks hard and turns around, looking at Taft confused.
"Who are you talking about? I thought you said we needed to get to the Bard... No it wasn't you! It was the Fairy! She told me to find the *(here he will give Taft a wink)* and then to find the Bard! We need to go!"
Crolwell will dance excitedly where he is standing.
Last edited September 5, 2015 3:22 am
Sep 5, 2015 3:35 am
"Yes, this we can work with", Taft says, giving him a wink back.

He presses on towards the city with everyone else.
Sep 5, 2015 3:45 am
I keep pushing on ward. My feet feel like they're dragging through mud. "Aelar, do you have any idea what's going on because I certainly don't. That Crolwell." I just shake my head.
Sep 5, 2015 4:27 am
Aelar will shrug in response to Xadira's question, "I have no idea... honestly, I was hoping you had some insight into this," he will turn to Crolwell, "Who is 'She'? And who is this bard you keep speaking of?"
Last edited September 5, 2015 4:29 am
load next

Thread locked