Jorune: general discussion

load previous
Oct 1, 2015 8:35 pm
I feel so weird to roll for some things and not for others, lol, but a very interesting system indeed
Oct 1, 2015 8:40 pm
Thanks for answering my Advantage roll question!

Gythaar tried to use a dysha as his extra ranged attack. I don't know if that's ok. And it looks like I did the rolls wrong.
Oct 1, 2015 8:55 pm
More practically, how would you feel about rolling anyway, while telling me the level of the skill you're using? Sometimes there may be enough stress on you to require a roll, but waiting for me to post a request for you to roll, then you posting a roll, and then we see the result seems like it's adding two unnecessary steps to a game where (by nature of PbP) any step can take hours to complete. If you post both the level of the skill and the roll, then I can refer to the roll in those rare instances where the roll was necessary.

The game logic for not requiring rolls all the time is that you have a level in the skill - Experienced, say - but the actual rank in that skill might be very low (6, for a very hard skill). Given time, a person using a skill that they are Experienced in should succeed. But if we just went by the rolls, a person Experienced in a hard skill would fail most of the time. So I go by the level unless there is special difficulty for the task. It makes more sense for the characters and keeps the action flowing.

But yes, in a case where there isn't exceptional stress on your attempt (of any Familiar or better skill, not just dyshas), the attempt will succeed regardless of the rolls, and you will roll damage (if an attack).
Oct 1, 2015 8:57 pm
Sounds good to me, and speeds things up a bit too
Oct 4, 2015 3:02 pm
Practical question:
I've only just realized that I've been making an assumption that people can and will post on the weekend, which might not be everyone's desire or ability. Would anyone rather I pause the game on Saturday and/or Sunday?
Oct 4, 2015 3:03 pm
I can do whatever. I've just been waiting for round 2, I don't think it was ever officially announced
Oct 4, 2015 3:40 pm
To be honest I'm a little lost :-) Yeah we're coming up on round two I think? I know I'e acted once and gained an extra action from advantage. And I think I've rolled advantage for Round 2 but haven't acted?
Oct 4, 2015 4:23 pm
Quote:
Gythaar's advantage: 12 (attack or defend)
Ok, so in addition to my action in round 2 I can either defend or make another attack because of the advantage I rolled for this round, correct? And then after I take my actions I roll for next round's advantage. Did I get that right? Thanks!
Oct 4, 2015 4:24 pm
I've posted the prompt for round two and round one recap.

Jabes, your 20+ advantage for round one enabled you to attack and defend with a bonus. I factored your bonus into your attack, or at least I would have, but you rolled a great success as it was! No defense was necessary, since nothing attacked you.

Your advantage from the earlier roll is in the list of advantage for round two already. You can attack and defend.
Oct 6, 2015 2:44 pm
How do we roll for defense?
Oct 7, 2015 5:57 am
It's like an attack roll: roll 1d20 against the skill you're using to defend (your weapon, defend without weapon, or defend with shield if someone is using a shield). There are some modifiers for weapons - generally weapons that are more deadly for attacking, like an axe, have a penalty for defense, because they're not built for parrying. But if you are going to defend, do the roll, and I'll resolve it.
Oct 11, 2015 4:12 pm
Sorry I didn't post yesterday; I hosted a wedding at my house and just crashed afterward. I will post today, but it will be a while before cleanup is finished.
Oct 19, 2015 6:21 am
Wonderful questions, Qralloq! I'm enjoying your crugar querrid.
Oct 21, 2015 2:38 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG has raised the question about "reading" people in social situations, particularly through scent.

Scent really should be a derived characteristic, I think.
For crugar: SCENT is LISTEN - 1.
For woffen: SCENT is LISTEN +1.
For bronth: SCENT is LISTEN.
For humans, muadra, and boccord, SCENT is SPOT -2.

Then, to smell something or discern a particular odor, it would be a SCENT check: add/subtract any modifiers to your SCENT, then roll 1d20: equal or less than the target number succeeds.

Tangentially related to the subject are interpersonal relations. For personal interactions, each character has a host of interaction and etiquette skills, which we touched on in part four of character generation. Either interaction or etiquette might be used by a character to persuade someone, for instance. Such checks are done against the character's SOCIAL, modified by their interaction or etiquette modifier.

Interaction is knowing the social cues, body language, and other communication signals for a particular race, so each character has a modifier for human interaction, thriddle interaction, shantha interaction, and so forth. As GM I track these modifiers for you, and you get a large bonus to such checks when dealing with your own race.

Etiquette is knowing the proper way to interact with particular types of people, and can include occupations, social strata, different situations, and residents of different countries/regions. So you have Heridoth etiquette and Burdoth etiquette, as well as caji etiquette, military etiquette, and the like. As GM I track these modifiers for you - the web of modifiers is huge - and you get a large bonus when dealing with your own occupation, social position, and region.
Oct 28, 2015 12:48 pm
Added an Education roll to my previous post
Oct 28, 2015 1:15 pm
We both failed both of those rolls, haha.
Nov 1, 2015 8:09 am
Just thought of something: You can reassign foci every day, right? Or was it every sequence? I know we set our foci for the dichandra encounter but I don't think we set them for this flashback. We've made quite a few rolls already. I'd imagine we'd all like to focus on social interaction or exploration skills here. Am I right?
Nov 1, 2015 4:17 pm
Yes, please set your foci for this "4 days earlier" sequence. I'm sorry I didn't ask for that earlier.
Nov 4, 2015 6:39 pm
I want to get the group's feeling about opening the game up to new players; we have six character slots, but only three players are active (one never played after joining, another has gone inactive for weeks now, and we never had a sixth join). I'm content to continue running Barragar as an NPC, on the hope that Starhelm will return, but I feel like we could use the dynamic that a couple more players would add. What do you think?
Nov 4, 2015 6:40 pm
Sounds fine to me :) bring in some new blood
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.