1.0 Introduction

load previous
Sep 22, 2015 11:38 am
I shove several slices of bacon into my pockets and follow the others out of the dining area.

It seems strange how easily I've adapted to having plentiful food and a warm place to stay. When I first came here, I was seven and practically starving. Roland found me performing my usual (literal) song and dance routine while begging for coin. He told me I could have a better life. I didn't believe him, I mean it's not like my life was that bad. It was unpredictable, especially when trying to find a warm place to sleep at night that didn't have any fleas. I liked it that way! But then one day he brought me a beautiful lute and said that if I came to live with the other children, I could learn to play for enjoyment rather than to get my next meager meal. I decided to give it a shot. And guess what? My life WAS a lot better!

My shoulder-length dark brown hair bobs as I practically skip over to Roland's study, the tips of my elven ears (less pronounced due to my mixed heritage) peeking out every so often.
Sep 22, 2015 12:35 pm
Fast eating wasn't exactly what she called a breakfast, but the look in the eyes of Roland worried Feylinde. After all he was the one who found her in the woods when she was six and saved her from starvation. He was to one who saw her talent for the alchemical arts and convinced her to study it.

Thinking about her past made emerge even the bad memories ... *I wanted just to read that strange book ...* ... the image of her lifeless mother body at her feet ... *... how did that happen? Why I cannot remember?"

Feylinde shook the head to remove the freking feelings and without full ending the meal moved rapidly toward Roland's study.
Sep 22, 2015 1:56 pm
Standing, Semaj replaces his hood and moves to the exit. He can eat later. It is not like he has never missed a meal. Sure, hunger pangs are not pleasant, but he has survived worse. He makes his way to the study without haste. After all, he owes his life to Roland and when he gets a personal invitation, he goes. Once inside, he finds a seat near a window (if there is one). He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small piece of dried fruit, Apple or pear it does not matter. He places it between his cheek and gum and savers the tart sweetness.
Last edited September 22, 2015 2:57 pm
Sep 22, 2015 10:02 pm
Usually not one to leave a bit of food on his plate Szent takes on final bite of his bacon and falls in closely behind Samej.

*I wonder what's bothering Roland. Not like him to finish a meal early like that, let alone ask others to do the same.*
Sep 22, 2015 10:45 pm
When you arrive at Roland's study he is staring out of the window. Two rows of four chairs sit in front of his desk. It's not normally that formal in here, but he obviously prepared for all of you. The study is frugally decorated. Plain walls, basic furniture, and no carpet. There is a symbol of Torm on one wall (the open gauntlet), and there is a small altar in front of it, including prayer beads, candles and incense. A prayer mat is on the floor.

He turns and smiles as you enter. "Thanks for arriving promptly! Please sit down. I need your help."
Sep 22, 2015 10:50 pm
Elden quickly finds a spot in the front row and sits at rapt attention, *What could someone as accomplished as Roland possible want from us?* he wonders to himself.
Last edited September 22, 2015 10:54 pm
Sep 22, 2015 10:52 pm
Szent takes a seat in the front row, curious as to what his mentor has to say.
Sep 23, 2015 12:14 am
"Whatever you need! I'm very good at helping." I sit next to Szent and offer him a piece of bacon from my pocket.
Last edited September 23, 2015 12:15 am
Sep 23, 2015 12:27 am
A little startled to see Alanya pull food from her pocket Szent graciously accepts the pocket-bacon with a smile. "I owe ya one!"
Sep 23, 2015 12:42 am
Weylan hurries in, having raced Seneia (she let him win), slightly out of breath. He plops down in the last open front seat and wonders what help he could provide. He peers down; Roland's shoes are a bit worn, but they don't need repair yet...
Last edited September 23, 2015 1:12 am
Sep 23, 2015 3:57 am
(Ooc: it is assumed everyone sits)

Roland shuts the door after everyone has selected their seats, and perches on the edge of his desk Ina casual manner. He looks at the faces before him, and sees general concern and expectancy. He understands how strange this must be for his protégés.

"Since arriving at my orphanage you have all done me proud, and I feel pleased that this place is turning out fine young folk like yourselves. You are still young, and you still have some growing up to do, but at this moment in time you are my best hope."

Roland often preaches the importance of honesty, and to own up when matters, whether good or bad need addressing. "A wound will fester, so treat it and all will be well", he'd often advise. Today he didn't seem to be heeding that advice.

With a deep sigh he continues. "I've tried all my contacts, but I fear this issue needs more street smarts than I'm used to." He smiles awkwardly, "For all I need to resolve this, my methods are unlikely to succeed. This matter needs subtlety, a skill I er, am told I don't excel in."

(Ooc: you may all roll insight, include your modifier if any)
Sep 23, 2015 4:08 am
"Subtlety? What do you mean?" I tilt my head to the side and give him a look of intense concentration that looks a lot like confusion.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Sep 23, 2015 4:47 am
There is a small 'thud' when Seneia leans forward and the front legs of her chair hit the floor again. "Street smarts?" she says. "Well-- I still may --you know-- know people. And places."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Sep 23, 2015 3:50 pm
"Can you Explain yourself better Roland?" said Feylinde almost in a whisper.

Rolls

INSIGHT - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Sep 23, 2015 3:54 pm
Elden sits back a little bit, concern on his face as he tries to see deeper into what Roland may be thinking. After a couple moments of thought he leans forward, "I think that we'd all be more than willing to help you in whatever small way we can. Can you give us some more information about what exactly you need us to do?"
Last edited September 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Sep 23, 2015 3:59 pm
Weylan considers what sort of subtlety they could provide.

He has no idea.
Last edited September 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Rolls

Insight (WIS + Proficiency) - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Sep 23, 2015 10:02 pm
*Street smarts? This is not the way Roland handles problems. I don't like this.*

Rolls

Insight [+3] - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Sep 23, 2015 11:32 pm
(Ooc: now to try the note feature. Those who rolled should receive a private note...)

Roland looks at the faces before him, and tries to determine how well his ill prepared speech is going.

Merlin sent a note to Gargoyle
Merlin sent a note to szemely
Merlin sent a note to spaceseeker19
Merlin sent a note to Naatkinson
Merlin sent a note to Mariutti82
Merlin sent a note to Moofsalot
Sep 24, 2015 12:16 am
My eyes light up with excitement over the possibility of a dangerous/secret mission. This could be the most amazing thing to have happened in a long time. And he trusts us enough to handle it!

"We're in. Tell us what you want us to do, and we'll do it. No one even needs to know about it! You can say we're out running an errand for you, like harvesting apples maybe? We could even bring some back. Everyone loves apples, am I right?" I nudge Weyland with my elbow and give him a wink.
Sep 24, 2015 12:40 am
"Guh...buh...wha...?"

Now Weylan is embarrassed and confused.

*Oh, no! She heard that!*
Last edited September 24, 2015 6:14 am
load next

Thread locked