Character Creation

Sep 18, 2015 10:12 pm
Share your character ideas here. Many thanks for joining the game.
Sep 18, 2015 10:27 pm
I'm thinking of creating a older teen who has been under Roland's care for quite some time. Looking up to his caregiver he's decided to emulate him and has begun his training as a Paladin (human).

[Unless someone else has a desire to play a Paladin, this is what I'm probably going to go with. If someone else wants to play a Paladin, I'm good with switching to a Cleric (or even something else)]
Sep 18, 2015 10:27 pm
Hi! Thanks for having me here!

I'm thinking of building a character around the Tavern Brawler feat. Variant human, obviously, so I'll have the feat right off the bat. Barbarian, maybe. Could be Roland's "problem child" :-D
Last edited September 18, 2015 10:29 pm
Sep 18, 2015 10:43 pm
Even though Roland is a paladin, you are young and flighty and can be whatever class you like, and base that class on your background. Certainly Roland may or may not tolerate your behavior, that's up to you how you behave. But I should emphasize that the orphanage is run by a paladin, so being evil would risk your residence at the orphanage.
Sep 18, 2015 10:56 pm
I'm digging the Paladin idea, especially with some of the ideals with the Acolyte background and his relationship with Roland.

Szent Harcos - Paladin - Oath of Vegance - Acolyte

Follows the same god as Roland (I'm thinking Selune or Lathander)
Sep 18, 2015 11:25 pm
I'll be a cleric :)
Only class I haven't played
Sep 19, 2015 12:47 am
Hi all! I think I'll roll up a bard. Hmm some of you players look familiar...
Sep 19, 2015 5:15 am
Waiting on two players to acknowledge entry and advise character.

When ready please submit your characters.
Sep 19, 2015 9:06 am
I'm hoping to play Seneia Sorrow, a Tiefling Monk. Chaotic Neutral, if that's alright.

If Roland's care includes religious teachings, Seneia would've been drawn to the tenets that focus on the inner peace, and balance and beauty of the world.
Last edited September 19, 2015 9:07 am
Sep 19, 2015 12:10 pm
Thanks Gargoyle. I'm struggling with the concept of a monk being chaotic neutral, the opposite of discipline.
Sep 19, 2015 12:31 pm
I tend to see Lawful-Chaotic axis as something that describes to the way the character relates to the society, not necessarily something that would reflect her inner self. Essentially she'd be working towards the things she finds important (beauty, harmony, and being true to oneself), regardless of what the society thinks is right.

Which alignment would you see suitable for something like this?
Sep 19, 2015 12:36 pm
Well, I see that as neutral...totally focused on yourself. Chaotic neutral is pure chaos... Totally unpredictable without any motivational influences from good or evil actions.
Sep 19, 2015 12:42 pm
I see that we understand the Lawful-Chaotic axis differently.

But True Neutral or even Neutral Good (although the character is not necessarily always interested in the good of the people, but rather the good of the things she holds valuable) would fit my character concept as well, if the character otherwise sounds fitting.
Sep 19, 2015 12:52 pm
I've already approved your character. You can play your character how you like and I don't intend this thread to be a philosophical discussion on alignment. But alignments in D&D are well established and described on page 122 of Player's Guide. The whole beauty, harmony, nature, peace is neutral like nature itself. Monks are typically lawful due to the internal discipline necessary to focus your skills. Although lawful commonly refers to respect for the laws and rules of society, in the case of a monk it refers to the personal discipline.

I have played D&D a long, long time and I've never met any player who plays alignment perfectively, and the only classes I've ever seen disciplined by a DM for alignment play are Paladins. Use it as a compass, beyond that it isn't that important.
Sep 19, 2015 1:41 pm
Apologies. I did not mean to start an argument - just wanted to make sure we were roughly on the same page on how what kind of character I'm planning to play and how that is reflected by the rules.
Sep 19, 2015 2:16 pm
Gargoyle, no argument here! I welcome the discussion. Alignment is one of those subjects as nebulous as religion... Everyone has an opinion. I personally have come to terms with D&D alignment in a way that makes sense to me, and I guess that's important as the DM.
Sep 19, 2015 5:59 pm
I apologize, it's a busy weekend for me, I'll get my character worked out on Monday if that's ok
Sep 19, 2015 8:53 pm
I've only received two character sheets so far. I'm hoping for active players, but will wait til Monday to see what happens.
Sep 19, 2015 9:23 pm
I am usually very active, just got a bachelor party today and tomorrow
Sep 19, 2015 9:39 pm
Naat... Awesome. Enjoy.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.