Rules of Play

load previous
Feb 4, 2016 7:56 pm
At this point does anyone even see the elf?
Feb 4, 2016 8:35 pm
I tried; I missed. Weylan will try again next round to just shove, rather than combining it with an attack.
Feb 5, 2016 12:16 am
Szent should add two more to his strength check, right? Shove is a Strength (Athletics) check.
Feb 5, 2016 12:32 am
Good catch, read it as a straight Strength check.
Feb 5, 2016 10:17 pm
I think the elf is yet among his friends, maybe our best option is just to wait for them to show up and defend the "narrow passage" which is the doorway behind the guard we're fighting now.
Feb 5, 2016 10:34 pm
Or just leave him entirely. This whole "follow me" thing smells like a ruse to lead himself back to safety.
Feb 6, 2016 3:47 am
Quote:
Finally the guard retaliates, and lashes out at Rufio seeing him defenseless in his rage. (Rufio takes 14 damage).
Rufio only takes 7 damage, yes? Rage grants resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
Feb 6, 2016 11:05 am
Let me be clear, I am not playing your characters. I will report the facts and you guys just let me know if you have reason to change the facts. This is normal DnD protocol in my experience.
Feb 7, 2016 12:37 am
That wasn't criticism. I just wasn't about to mark down half damage on my sheet without confirming/conferring with the DM. Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it as a question.

So:
Quote:
Finally the guard retaliates, and lashes out at Rufio seeing him defenseless in his rage. (Rufio takes 14 damage).
Ok, copy that. Marking half damage due to damage resistance from barbarian rage. Rufio is now 27/34hp. Thanks!
Feb 8, 2016 3:50 pm
I am overseas again and don't have my rule books. Can Seneia "sneak" past the guard? She literally has to pass through a threatened square. From what I remember you can't hide from someone who can see you, and surely you can be seen if you pass next to someone. Assistance please.
Feb 8, 2016 4:36 pm
She would have to have a place to hide in order to sneak. She could, however, take the disengage action to slip by him without taking an Opportunity Attack.
Feb 8, 2016 4:38 pm
Just to clarify: I wasn't really looking to hide from the guard (although avoiding Opportunity Attack would be nice), but from anyone further ahead.
Feb 8, 2016 6:30 pm
In this case you roll for stealth - the guard in the room sees you anyway, but anyone incoming must have a passive perception better than your stealth roll... and this is the case if you hide beside one of the walls on the sides of the passageway beyond the guard (you can't just hide in the corridor) ^_^.

At the least by RAW.
Feb 9, 2016 4:41 am
So the sneak roll is pointless and trying to get past the guard simply attracts an opportunity attack. At least that's what I think, unless I'm missing something.
Feb 9, 2016 6:43 am
From your original description of the situation, I got the impression that it might be possible to slip past the guard. If it's not, I'd like to do what Naatkinson highlighted above and use the Disengage to move past the guard into the room.
Feb 9, 2016 10:08 am
Are we at round 4 yet, or is Elden still to act?
Feb 9, 2016 11:15 am
I need to resolve Seneia's action. Elden has stated his turn. I have not closed round 3 but alas I am overseas and don't have my books. And now I'm not convinced disengage works because in pathfinder this was called withdraw and was a full round action. If disengage is just an action and you move into a threatened square then disengage that does not seem reasonable. To engage to disengage to get an advantage does not seem right. You shouldn't need to disengage if you aren't in melee. So what do the books say?
Feb 9, 2016 11:30 am
Here's is the official system reference document: D&D 5th Edition, SRD

However, it isn't too clear on Disengage: If you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn.
Feb 9, 2016 11:36 am
I'm ruling Disengage is to disengage from melee. To move things along I have closed round 3.
Feb 9, 2016 11:36 am
it can't be clear than that... you take the disengage action to avoid opportunity attacks, period.

let's say he want to circle around the guard (it's a room after all) and then leaving the room (if the passageway isn't blocked phisically by the guard):
1) he moves in the guard reach and circling around it doesn't provoke AoO;
2) he take disengage action to leave the reach of the guard without provoking AoO (that's what disengage stay for);
3) he can now continue moving entering the corridor.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.