Rules of Play

load previous
Dec 17, 2015 4:02 am
Merlin says:
spaceseeker19 says:
Mariutti82 says:
sorry guys, I've not checked the forum in a while, since I saw no updetes (some days ago)... I'm trying to understand what's happening ....
Here's my breakdown:
We surprised (or were surprised by) four people - a halfling, an elf, a half-orc, and a human.
Seneia killed the halfling, Alanya cast silence on the elf, the half-orc pounded Feylinde and got beaten down by something like five of us in reprisal, the human cast hold person on Rufio, the elf got blasted with a fire bolt, everyone missed or ignored the human.
Then, the elf somehow cast expeditious retreat despite being silenced and ran away, with Seneia following. The human convinced everyone he wasn't a target, except for Elden, whose attacks the human keeps dodging.
Not correct on two counts. 1. Elf cast expeditious retreat in first round before silence. 2. Elden has not hit cleric yet as it hasn't happened yet and cleric double moved away from him.
Ah, yes, I forgot initiative order for both of those. Thank you.
Dec 17, 2015 6:00 am
Hmm… Seneia did catch up with the elf during round 2, right? I thought being blinded only meant disadvantage to attacks (and advantage to attacks against me), not auto-fail. And did I understand colour spray correctly that the blindness only lasts for 1 round?
Dec 17, 2015 10:56 am
Who said you auto failed? You missed.
Dec 17, 2015 11:01 am
Merlin says:
With 20? Yikes.
Dec 17, 2015 11:23 am
Gargoyle says:
Merlin says:
With 20? Yikes.
We aren't sitting around a table, so I can only go on what you tell me. Here are the facts:

Elf blinded you. I said he slowed to cast spell. I did not say he stopped. You did not say you were doing anything to find him, but being blinded you auto fail any perception checks. Furthermore you did not say you were spending ki so it isn't clear to me how you got two attacks after moving. So you are blinded, you can't see elf, you run to where he was and strike that space, and miss, even with two blows. That's not an autofail, that's a miss. The disadvantage is still valid, but doesn't mean you automatically know where someone is, run 40' and have a disadvantaged strike on them. The didvantantage assumes you know where someone is. You were never in melee with the elf.
Dec 17, 2015 8:50 pm
Merlin says:
Gargoyle says:
Merlin says:
With 20? Yikes.
We aren't sitting around a table, so I can only go on what you tell me. Here are the facts:

Elf blinded you. I said he slowed to cast spell. I did not say he stopped. You did not say you were doing anything to find him, but being blinded you auto fail any perception checks. Furthermore you did not say you were spending ki so it isn't clear to me how you got two attacks after moving. So you are blinded, you can't see elf, you run to where he was and strike that space, and miss, even with two blows. That's not an autofail, that's a miss. The disadvantage is still valid, but doesn't mean you automatically know where someone is, run 40' and have a disadvantaged strike on them. The didvantantage assumes you know where someone is. You were never in melee with the elf.
Right. Lets go with that, then...

Am I at least right in my understanding that:
1. The blindness from the Colour Spray lasts for 1 round?
2. As a Monk, I get a bonus action for unarmed strike each time I use an Attack action for an unarmed strike? That's the way I assumed I was getting two actions.
Dec 18, 2015 12:19 am
Gargy

1. Yes, I agree
2. Yes, ok. Thanks for the explanation.
3. If you spend 1 ki do you get 4 attacks?
Dec 18, 2015 12:34 am
Merlin says:
Gargy

1. Yes, I agree
1 ki will get a monk 3 attacks (4 at level 5)
Dec 18, 2015 7:25 am
Naatkinson says:
Merlin says:
Gargy

1. Yes, I agree
1 ki will get a monk 3 attacks (4 at level 5)
I was going to say otherwise, but after checking PHB, I realised I had interpreted that detail wrong, as you can have only one bonus action per round. So yes, 1 ki would give 3 attacks, not 4. I may have gotten one extra hit on that rogue that I shouldn't have.
Dec 19, 2015 3:27 am
I'm going to be absolutely slammed over the weekend working on an epic Star Wars - The Force Awakens birthday cake. Won't be able to post, sorry!
Dec 19, 2015 3:28 am
I'll let you off if you post a picture!
Dec 19, 2015 10:44 am
S P O I L E R A L L E R T !!! :p
Jan 28, 2016 11:50 pm
I'm making a new rule. From now on I'll use blue font for in game side bars. Players will use green font.

Cheers.
Jan 29, 2016 12:36 am
Do you want us to continue using blue for in-character speech, or would you prefer bold now (which we've been doing mostly, despite your instructions)?
Jan 29, 2016 1:28 am
Yes, bold seems to be the convention.
Jan 30, 2016 6:45 am
Merlin says:
I'm making a new rule. From now on I'll use blue font for in game side bars. Players will use green font.

Cheers.
So that means you don't want us using the new OOC tag. Copy that.
Jan 30, 2016 11:17 pm
Yep, AoO are only melee ones ^^
Last edited January 30, 2016 11:17 pm
Feb 1, 2016 3:25 pm
Rufio has the Tavern Brawler Feat. Was built around the feat, actually.

So if in place of his attack he shoves this guard prone. Does the feat's 4th bullet point still trigger a bonus grapple attempt even though, strictly speaking, the shove is neither an unarmed strike nor an improvised weapon attack?
Quote:
Tavern Brawler
Accustomed to rough-and-tumble fighting using whatever weapons happen to be at hand, you gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You are proficient with improvised weapons and unarmed strikes.
• Your unarmed strike uses a d4 for damage.
• When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.
Last edited February 2, 2016 8:20 am
Feb 1, 2016 5:39 pm
Rules say you cannot mov through an opponents square unless it is 2 sizes larger or smaller than you. Sorry Weylan.
Feb 1, 2016 6:13 pm
Merlin says:
Rules say you cannot mov through an opponents square unless it is 2 sizes larger or smaller than you. Sorry Weylan.
Halfings have the Halfling Nimbleness trait:
OOC:
Halfling Nimbleness: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.