Targos

load previous
Dec 4, 2018 2:37 am
Fluphy latches on to Zenithral as he runs to the mayor's manor house. Ugh...why didn't I do more jogging during the month at Kuldihar...?
Last edited December 4, 2018 2:38 am

Rolls

Constitution Check - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Dec 4, 2018 2:48 am
The wind howls at Zenithral's back as he runs through town. Alalla's directions, though hastily given, are sufficient for the half-elf, and he arrives at the sturdy wooden building after a few minutes, breathing hard.

Despite the late hour, Zenithral sees the glow of lamplight from a window on the third floor. Then he notices a hooded figure clinging to the outer wall of the building, just below the window. Though it is difficult to tell between the darkness and clothes, the figure's frame seems far too bulky to be human.
Dec 4, 2018 2:56 am
Ellis stammers as Alalla barrels past him. With a raised eyebrow he makes room for the others as well.

Alalla bursts into her father's room to find him sitting in a chair by the window, holding an uncarved block of wood in one hand. He stares out of the window and into the darkness as his hands trace the smooth wood gently, feeling out the contours of whatever shape he will decide to coax out of it. He doesn't notice Alalla entering.

He seems to be fine.
Dec 4, 2018 4:10 am
Fluphy, telepathically warn those inside!
Zenithral orders urgently.

Zenithral shrugs his bow off his shoulder knocks an arrow and holds his rasping breath to steady his aim. Shadowy energy swirls along his arm and he fires, aiming for the figure's arm in an attempt to knock him off the wall, followed by several more.
You better be an orc... (Target takes 44 damage plus 7 psychic damage and must make a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or be blinded beyond 5 feet until the start of my next turn.)
Last edited December 4, 2018 4:19 am

Rolls

Longbow 1 (Sharp) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

Longbow 2 (Sharp) - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Longbow 3 (Sharp) - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

War Priest Longbow (Sharp) - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Shadow Arrow Damage - (2d6)

(43) = 7

Longbow 1 Damage on a Hit - (1d8+15)

(8) + 15 = 23

Longbow 2 Damage on a Hit - (1d8+15)

(6) + 15 = 21

Dec 4, 2018 4:18 am
Alalla steps back into the hall and closes the door quietly. She takes a deep breath. "Okay, step one," she murmurs, focusing herself.

When everyone else reaches the top of the stairs, Al gestures for them to follow her into the living room. "Come on. I'll fill you in. Uncle, I told you about Rastix. I've only just met Vincent here. Everyone this is my uncle, Ellis."

When everyone is in and paying attention, Al begins her debriefing. "When Erevain and I were in Targos last, we went to talk to Reise Coppersky about Avandra. We wanted to know if Avandra could help me with my... inherited issue. She wasn't sure but she said she'd look into it. She's dead now. Eye gouged out. It had to be because of me.

We also talked to the Mayor and his wife about Helm. I was vague on the details, so the mayor shouldn't know about me, but his wife does. I sent Zenithral to check on them. Hopefully they are alright.

We came here because you and Papa are the only others who know,"
Al tells her uncle.

"I can't be sure, but I'm fairly certain Poquelin is behind this. It could be... you know," Alalla covers one eye to indicate Gruumsh, which highlights to the party that she once more owns a pair of them. "I doubt it though. Assassination isn't his style. Poquelin said that he can free me from him, but he's a devil. What would actually be happening is me handing him my chains. In exchange for that favour he wants me to build him an army.

I ran into him again outside the walls, and made his offer again. He was angry that I officially rejected him. I think he's trying to pressure me into it."
Al sighs. "He took heavy advantage of my efforts to undermine his army. I wouldnt be surprised if he came out ahead in the end." Alalla shakes her head to clear the thought.

"If anyone asks, you don't know about me. Targos is a powder keg of people I care about waiting to turn on me. It won't be hard for Poquelin to set it off. I don't want them turning on you, too."
Last edited December 6, 2018 4:23 am
Dec 4, 2018 4:24 am
Erevain speaks up. "Alalla, think for a moment. Reise's body looked as though it had been dead for some time, perhaps a few hours - almost certainly before we left to speak with the orcs. This may have nothing to do with Poquelin."
Dec 4, 2018 4:32 am
Al narrows her eyes. "I never saw her body, but that information doesn't change much. Poquelin breathes intrigues and plots, and he's been grooming me since I met him. He didn't need to wait for an invitation."

Alalla claps her hands together.
Step two...

"Well now you're all caught up on what I know. If you'll excuse us for just a minute, Erevain was in the middle of updating me on some things before we rushed over here." Alalla beckons for Erevain to follow her into the hall.
Last edited December 4, 2018 4:45 am
Dec 4, 2018 4:32 am
A hiss of pained breath is the only sound the figure makes as arrows strike home, and it falls three stories to the cobblestones below. It hits with a hard crunch, and then doesn't move.
Dec 4, 2018 4:59 am
Erevain stands his ground. "Alalla. This is not the place, nor the time. If the killers are not here, then where are they? They could be butchering more innocents right now!"
Dec 4, 2018 5:08 am
Alalla stops. She breathes deeply once more, then turns back to address the group. "In that case, we should probably check in with the Zenithral and the militia. Erevain, will you stay here with my family? They need the protection, especially now that I've broken their door. If I know you're here with them, I'll be less distracted."
Last edited December 4, 2018 11:31 pm
Dec 4, 2018 5:11 am
It's always so hard to know how many arrows they can take... Zenithral's eyes dart around, trying to spot any places backup might be hiding.

Fluphy, are they safe?

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Dec 4, 2018 5:15 am
The elf nods. "I will stay here. Just... take care. If there are orcs within Targos, they must either be acting under orders from before Ghotrag was killed, or someone is directing them from within the town."
Dec 4, 2018 5:19 am
Fluphy toots on up to the window and peers inside, but apparently nobody is within sight of the flumph.

Zenithral sees that the front door to the town hall is slightly ajar. Scrapes on the padlock indicate a considerable amount of tinkering before the door was opened.
Dec 4, 2018 5:32 am
"Ilmater help us..." (Zenithral casts Shield of Faith, increasing his AC by 2 for 1 minute.) Warn me if you see or hear anyone inside the building moving, or if you hear anyone in the town coming this way, he tells the flumph.

Zenithral rushes up and examines the figure for race, insignias, weapons, magic items, playing-dead, or anything else unusual, hoping he doesn't find a friend. (Takes the Dodge action, unless he needs it to Search)
Last edited December 4, 2018 5:34 am

Rolls

Investigation on the Figure - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Dec 4, 2018 1:27 pm
Vincent puts the barrel down and sits on it. Pulling out the ring he examines it in detail.
Last edited December 4, 2018 1:27 pm
Dec 4, 2018 2:35 pm
Alalla nods but doesn't look at or reply to Erevain. "It sounds like we already have the militia rushing through town. Vincent, is that ring giving you any clues as to where to go next?"
Dec 4, 2018 6:14 pm
Zenithral quickly discovers that the creature is an orc, and is quite dead. It bears two weapons that Zenithral recognizes as similar to the ones the orc assassin used on him back in the Kuldahar Pass. They could very well be magical.
Dec 4, 2018 6:17 pm
The ring bears three horizontal wavy lines - the symbol of Avandra, goddess of freedom, travel, and fortune.
Dec 4, 2018 6:40 pm
"I'm not sure it's helpful, but it contains the symbol of Avandra. I think I'll try attuning it to see if its capabilities reveal any more clues."
Vincent puts the ring on and begins the process of attuning the ring.
"If you wish to continue searching for the assassin, I can stay here and keep an eye on your family while I finish attuning this ring. Besides, perhaps your woodworker of a father here can tell me something about this fine barrel."
Last edited December 4, 2018 6:47 pm
Dec 4, 2018 7:25 pm
"I don't think that tells us much. Reise worshipped Avandra and took care of the shrine here." Alalla nods. "I'd appreciate you staying here and watching my family. Hopefully what you learn about the ring will help us sort this out. As for my father..."

Al turns to Ellis. "You should bring Papa in here, so Erevain and Vincent can guard you both together. I know he won't anyway, but don't let him speak to anyone at all." She leans forward and kisses her uncle on the cheek. "Sorry to be abrupt. I'll be back soon."

"Come on, Ras. I think you'll be most useful with me."

Al heads to the door. As she passes by she touches Erevain's face briefly, then barrels down the stairs and through the shop. Out on the street she looks up at the light coming from the windows once more, then turns back to the icy street and begins running towards the mayor's house to check on Zenithral.
Last edited December 4, 2018 11:42 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.