Jorune: Strange Allies game (Prologue and Seq 1.1)

Sep 22, 2015 7:22 am
Welcome once again to this game of Skyrealms of Jorune. I'm glad that you've joined us, and I'm excited to begin.

STRANGE ALLIES: PROLOGUE
(in which we join our heroes in the middle of the action and flash back to what has come before)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MEXUPz8Fx6Y/T_GjZvowtgI/AAAAAAAAcqU/COpPRXffzv4/s640/Upclose+Tidal+mudflats.jpg

The rain continues to drizzle down on you, and rivulets of water trickle down your neck as you hunch forward to shield your eyes from the downpour. Mud squelches between your toes with every sucking step further into the muck. The rain has suppressed the reek of the swamp a bit, and for that you’re grateful...that, and the fact that the bugs don’t seem to like the water either and they’re leaving you alone for the moment.

*Is becoming a Drenn really worth this?* you think to yourselves, and try to remind yourselves why you want so badly to become Burdothian citizens, instead of thinking of how much you’d rather enjoy a warm meal in a cozy, dry inclep.

Lightning flashes, revealing that you've moved into a new region, moving from fens to mudflats. There's less standing water here, and less vegetation, and a greyness on the horizon suggests that sunrise is not far off. You're tired, wet, slimed, and have had to fight off a number of hostile creatures since you were dumped into the swamp on your way north from Ardoth. You each take a moment to catch your breath as the rain lets up a bit, and you make sure that none of the others have strayed off away from you.
Sep 23, 2015 1:58 am
You came down somewhere in Lusail, the northernmost province of Burdoth (north of Glounda and Gauss). Players can tell me if they're going to try to get their bearings with a particular skill like Geography/Wilderness Travel, try to forage, search, or so on.
Sep 23, 2015 4:13 pm
Ullis relies on others to do the outdoor survival stuff; he's a city kid and the outdoors scares him. He attempts to scan the muddy surroundings.

(It's a 1, which prompts a re-roll to see if it's a great success. It is!)

Ullis notes that a nearby rocky lump is actually the back of a creature that is rooting in the mud right now, but may emerge and notice the group at any moment. He hasn't met one before, but he thinks he recognizes what it is.

He whispers. "Uh...guys? That mound over there - do you think that looks like the back of a dichandra? I think that may be a dichandra."

http://i.imgur.com/1EwaN.png

Because of his great success, the party has a free round of action before the dichandra can notice them. You may also tell me your Fauna Recognition levels, to see what you know about dichandra.

Rolls

SPOT check - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Great success at SPOT? - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Sep 24, 2015 3:04 pm
Ullis is Familiar with Move Silently; he becomes very still and backs away from what appears to be a pile of rocks (which is shivering and slowly twisting) with almost no sound...but it's slow going, because of the mud sucking as his feet.

*What am I doing here? I don't belong here, in the swamp!* He thinks fondly of other missions, city missions, and how they were so much better...conveniently skipping over the memories of fighting ramian, the cougar, rival gangs, or any other time his life has been in danger. Many times for someone so young.
Sep 27, 2015 8:08 am
Here's explanations of how much you each knows about dichandra.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Naatkinson
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Starhelm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Qralloq
What do you do now?
Sep 27, 2015 6:18 pm
Miniri, exhausted and confused leans on her staff, and watches the creature. She quietly whispers to the others, "it's not usually aggressive, but it will defend itself and we may be in its territory, and so it may attack. Those nodules on its back can be quite valuable." She bites her lip at the last, and shes not sure if the others will see this as an opportunity they might be able to afford. Still, keeping information to herself might put them all in harms way.

Her lightly muscled body, weary from the weather and from exertion, coils itself, ready to strike or run. She waits for her companions to decide.
Sep 28, 2015 2:58 pm
Marik is already exhausted from their work, and has no inclination to fight with such a beast for such little gain. He whispers back to Miniri, "I don't think it's worth it, let's get out of here." He will attempt to move away silently and prepare to run away if things go badly. He also keeps an eye out to make sure there is nothing else dangerous in the area.
Last edited September 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Rolls

Silent Movement - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Spot - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 29, 2015 5:40 am
Marik moves silently away (that's a success) through the muck, but he fails to see that he's backing towards another cluster of crudge, which is slowly rising up as a second dichandra rises up behind him. They see each other simultaneously, and this new dichandra immediately begins to clack its knobby wrists together, making a loud knocking noise, that alerts the first dichandra to the party's presence. Then they both clack their wrists together, a behavior that is weirdly like clapping, but the noise is very loud.
Sep 30, 2015 8:34 am
Gythaar is too preoccupied trying to get the group's bearings to spot the danger before the two dichandra come rearing up out of the mud. The old veteran curses silently to himself. I should've been more alert! Damn this thrice-cursed rain! Gythaar sees that Marik is in the most immediate trouble. In one swift motion the mercenary whips out a knife and sends it flying towards one of the creature's eyes.
OOC: The aim is to roll under the target number, yes? I'm unsure if I used the Aim bonus correctly here.

Rolls

Knife (5 ranks) + Aim bonus (1) = 6 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Great success? - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 30, 2015 12:15 pm
Barragar moves quietly to try and flank the dichondra, knowing that they have very poor eyesight and mostly rely on hearing. He readies his sis-ganj in case an attack becomes necessary.

OOC: I know it's d20 so I'll roll that for Move Silently, my rank is 18(seasoned) so whatever that means in this game haha

Rolls

Move Silently (Rank 18) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 1, 2015 7:35 am
Gythaar is Experienced with the knife; a roll is unnecessary at that time, since you were throwing at a creature that wasn't in combat. But if a roll had been necessary, it would be against your ranks in Knife, which is 12, plus one for your Aim bonus. So you'd have to get 13 or less to succeed on 1d20. The knife pierces the dichandra's soft underbelly; roll 2d6 for damage.

Barragar, being adept at moving silently, effectively disappears to the dichandra. Marik is also already concealed to them, having remained silent despite the surprise of the second creature. Miniri, by virtue of her standing still, barely registers to them. But their ire is raised by the knife and they lumber forward, clacking their stony wrists together, in what Miniri knows is a tactic to startle prey. Their vicious blade-sharp pincers snick open and shut as they advance.

Everyone, roll 2d6 1d20 for Advantage (remember to add your Advantage modifiers, if any).
Oct 1, 2015 7:40 am
OOC:
Gythaar was aiming for an eye. Rolled a 1, if that makes a difference :-)

Oops, forgot to apply these modifiers to my rolls:
Strength 16 (+1 Advantage, +1 Hit, +1 Injury bonus)
Last edited October 1, 2015 7:42 am

Rolls

Knife damage - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Advantage - (2d6)

(24) = 6

Oct 1, 2015 7:58 am
Gythaar: Your STR and AGL together give you a +2 bonus to Advantage rolls, which gives you an 8 Advantage. With an 8, you can defend against a melee attack, you can evade, or make another ranged attack.

The dichandra with the knife lodged in its chest is making a keening noise, as its mandibles vibrate alarmingly. Normally, I won't break down all the mechanics for you, instead just providing description. But here I will, as this is your introduction to combat.

The five on the damage roll means that the first dichandra has taken a superficial wound to its chest. That gives it a -1 penalty to Advantage, and it loses 2 Stamina (twice the Advantage penalty).

In addition to the Advantage rolls, anyone can choose to roll another Fauna recognition check if he/she wishes.

(edit to add mechanical details of the damage)
Oct 1, 2015 10:49 am
Barragar moves into position and prepares to strike with his sis-ganj at the most vulnerable area he can see.

OOC: Do I need a roll to attack now?

Rolls

Advantage - (2d6+1)

(24) + 1 = 7

Fauna Recognition (Rank 12) d20? - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Oct 1, 2015 1:29 pm
Rolling Advantage (Thought it's d20?)
Last edited October 1, 2015 1:30 pm

Rolls

Fauna Recognition (Skill - 12) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Advantage - (2d6-1)

(52) - 1 = 6

Oct 1, 2015 2:17 pm
Claws still outstretched from throwing his knife, Gythaar unleashes a searing orb of isho at the dichandra.

Rolls

Quantum Dysha: 5 ranks +1 Aim +1 STR +1 AGL = 8? - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Quantum damage - (2d6)

(16) = 7

Advantage - (2d6+2)

(53) + 2 = 10

Fauna Recognition: 8 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Oct 1, 2015 5:29 pm
Folks, I apologize! I wrote the wrong thing; after character generation, there are only two types of rolls in Jorune: 1d20 and 2d6. 1d20 is used for everything except the results of a hit. You will only ever roll 2d6 for armor penetration and/or damage. Perhaps I was tired, but I seem to have repeated the 2d6 for Gythaar's damage in the instructions to roll Advantage. That was wrong. I'm terribly embarrassed; I've been running this game for decades; that is probably the most egregious error I've made in that whole time.

So please roll your Advantage rolls over again, using 1d20+5 (for your preparation as the dichandra noticed you), plus your other advantage bonuses, if any. If the result from the 2d6 was better (adding the +5 to that, too), you may use the 2d6 result in this instance, as a bonus for my error.

Here's what the advantages are for round one, as rolled with 2d6. Please re-roll with 1d20 and use whichever is higher.
Dichandra 2's advantage for round 1: 16
Gythaar's advantage for round 1: 13 (6+2+5)
Barragar's advantage for round 1: 12 (6+1+5)
Marik's advantage for round 1: 11 (7-1+5)
Dichandra 1's advantage for round 1: 3

Qralloq can still get Miniri in on this round of combat today.

Gythaar's advantage for round 2: 10 (8+2)

Advantage results:
1 - 5: you may evade only
6 - 10: you may defend, ranged attack, or evade
11 - 15: you may attack or defend
16 - 19: you may attack and defend
20+: you may attack and defend with +5 bonus

Dichandra 1 is going to attempt to recoil from the next incoming attack (evade). It's hurt, confused, and angry.

Rolls

Dichandra 1 Advantage - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Dichandra 2 Advantage - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 1, 2015 5:57 pm
OOC: Rerolling Advantage

Looks like I'll be keeping my 2d6 roll lol
Last edited October 1, 2015 5:58 pm

Rolls

Advantage - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Oct 1, 2015 6:09 pm
Marik is close to the dichandra 2, which is going to try to LISTEN for a target. Barragar is in position to attack from the side of dichandra 1. Both are horrified to remember old wives' tales of dichandra spitting venom to paralyze their prey; amusing stories back then, but could they be true? It seems much more likely now that you see them with their dripping mandibles, weakly blinking eye stalks, and tremendously loud clacking of wrist stones.

With an 11 Advantage, Marik needs to decide whether to actively defend, or attack.

Ullis appears to be readying a dysha, much as Gythaar is doing.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Ullis' advantage - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Oct 1, 2015 6:27 pm
Marik takes a deep breath and unleashes a frozen bolt of Isho at Dichandra 2

Marik will attempt to use Frost Bolt on Dichandra 2

Edit: Move Silently was an error, ignore that! Was from a previous thought I had about what to do on my turn.
Last edited October 1, 2015 6:27 pm

Rolls

Dysha Skill (Base 10 + 3 Aim = 13 total) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Move Silently (Skill - 12) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Frost Bolt (Skill - 5) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Damage - (2d6)

(63) = 9

Armor Penetration - (2d6)

(43) = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.