Gmail blocking emails from GP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 31, 2018 12:57 am
I know a number of you have been having trouble getting emails from Gamers' Plane over the last few weeks. Looks like 2-3 weeks ago, Gmail started blocking all emails from the Gamers' Plane server, and I've been unable to figure out why so far. If you're not getting emails and would like to change your email address, just email contact@gamersplane.com and I'll change it for you. If you know anything about mass emails, email servers, and Gmail, please reach out to me, or if you know someone with experience, please refer them to me? I'm ready to pay a reasonable consult fee to help solve this problem.
Dec 31, 2018 5:41 pm
It seems that they are going to Spam. I wasn't getting them, and just now checked my SPAM folder and sure enough there they are. It may be that some people are clicking the emails are spam, which would trigger Gmail to block them.

Also, I have seen some spam in your forums, where people are advertising for things. Perhaps they triggered something as well?

I just reported your email as NOT spam, so we will see what happens.
Dec 31, 2018 5:44 pm
I also just reported a GP message in my Gmail spam folder as Not Spam.
Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm
I don't know what Google's algorithms are, but I'm guessing GP reached a threshold on the amount of mail being sent out within a certain time frame. I'd imagine if a person is subscribed to multiple forums and they all fired off messages with the same subject line "New Posts," that might automatically send the messages to spam without the user marking them.

For what it's worth, I've never had any GP mail sent to spam. However, I only subscribed to one forum, and I've only tagged new D&D 5e games to send me notifications, so the amount of mail being sent to me was minimal and certainly not enough to trigger any red flags.

I don't know if this is possible in the underlying code or database, but perhaps we could compile the notifications and send them out in timed intervals? For example, instead of receiving 10 emails from 10 different games each notifying me that there's a new post, I could receive 1 email saying there were 10 new posts. These notifications could be sent out every hour, or every two hours, whatever frequency is deemed appropriate. We could group these messages by time (10 posts across all games within the past hour) or by game itself (10 posts from subscribed game).

If grouped by time, the subject line could use the format "Number new posts from your subscribed games" to add some variation. Grouping by game might use the subject "Number new posts from Game System Game Name."

Personally, I prefer grouping messages by total posts across all subscribed games. That way, if they're only sent every hour, that's at most 24 emails delivered to my inbox.
Dec 31, 2018 7:28 pm
Yah, I can rewrite it to bulk messages. I also noticed I'm sending out one email per notification; instead, I should assemble a list of all users who'd get the notification and send that (not sure if Gmail would be more ok with 100 identical emails to individual people, or one email to 100 bcc people).
Dec 31, 2018 7:32 pm
Sounds like a listserv.
Dec 31, 2018 10:53 pm
Well I was using gmail and I was getting the GP emails very sporadically (some were hitting my inbox, some were in spam, and some just never arrived anywhere) and in most cases they were hours/days after the post that triggered them. I swapped to using a Yahoo mailbox and now I’m getting every e-mail I should and they’re coming through within 10 minutes typically
Jan 1, 2019 5:07 pm
https://www.rackaid.com/blog/gmail-blacklist-removal/
Jan 8, 2019 5:34 pm
I just dug through my Spam folder and found the most recent email from 12/15.
I clicked it as Not Spam now but I don't know if that will fix the issue and know that I know this is an issue, might explain why so many of my games are so quiet.
Jan 11, 2019 11:43 pm
It didn't fix it for me, I haven't received emails since then either. I get phone updates from my gmail and don't really want to change it, so hope it gets fixed soon.
Jan 12, 2019 3:23 am
Mine have not been coming through either. I tried unsubscribing from all, then subscribing to only the couple of threads I needed and still not anything.

I'd love to see a fix for this include a daily summary of all threads, or at least the name of the thread with notice of a new post and the number of posts.
Jan 12, 2019 4:41 am
Best solution to see your stuff if you aren't getting emails is to click LATEST POSTS at the bottom of the home screen. It's customized for you and shows read/unread.
Last edited January 12, 2019 4:41 am
Jan 12, 2019 4:48 pm
Still working on it, sorry :/
Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm
I don't know what happened but I seem to have started getting them more frequently. It went from very rarely showing up in spam days late but today I woke up to my set label stock full with new recent posts.
Jan 12, 2019 10:52 pm
Same here. I’m getting notifications again. 😁
Jan 13, 2019 12:09 am
I started to get notifications again also :)
Jan 13, 2019 12:28 am
I found a few in gmail spam. No where near actual volume, but non-zero
Jan 13, 2019 12:54 am
Ok, sounds like marking them as not spam is helping? And I'll keep working on more reliable emails, though I haven't found one that's cost effective yet.
Jan 13, 2019 1:16 am
I think the recent elections in the US and Canada have shown that if you can flag them as coming from Russia, nobody at the tech companies treats them as a security threat
Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm
The emails started coming back through today!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.