Heart of Winter

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 18, 2019 9:46 pm
A thin sword explodes from the shaman's chest, then immediately retracts. Incredibly fast, the blade reaches around and whips across Hjollsted's throat. The shaman crumples to the snow, limbs trembling as a vicious poison courses through his body. And behind him stands Nym.

The drow steps gingerly around the twitching barbarian's legs, then bends down to retrieve an object from Hjollsted's grasp - a cylindrical object that shines brightly in the light of the sun. A shard of crystal. Nym holds it up, admiring the play of light on its surface as he casually wipes his bloody rapier on the still-shivering shaman. "So sorry, old chap, but the fake just wasn't doing it for me. I had to have the real thing. Besides, you told me you would never use it. Just helping you to keep honest."

Icasaracht's baleful roar has the drow snapping back to attention. "Oh right."

Just then, another unexpected figure arrives on the scene. A goliath steps up near Reòthadh. What his loincloth fails to cover is made up for by more than his share of muscle, and the enormous axe resting on his shoulder makes an impressive silhouette.
Jan 18, 2019 9:57 pm
Round 5 Player Phase!!!!!
OOC:
Icasaracht is still over the lake and so difficult to target for many purposes. Something of 60 feet or more could hit her.

Young Ug is in the house! At least... younger than the modern Ug. He can have two turns this round. I recommend fighting the sahuagin priestesses and NOT the dragon or drow, but it's totally up to you. You'll probably take some damage from their auras, but I'll roll that later.

Technically Nym is on the shore and not really near the dragon, but in too lazy to fix that...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d9/d9/30/d9d930082a6b25a8b86b8372731257a1.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fc/46/0b/fc460bfc0726405d3a214d8e655c48ab.jpg
Jan 18, 2019 11:30 pm
"Bad fishies!" Ugs swings come in hard and accurate. The first foe takes a number of strikes to fall but ends up decapitated on the floor. The second goes down easily as the young barbarians strength powers through. As the remains of both fishmen ooze on the floor, Ug smiles, "mama always tell Ug to never trust a fishy".

Ug rages and frenzies

hp 35, ac 14
Last edited January 18, 2019 11:51 pm

Rolls

Ug vs priestess 1 - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Advantage - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Attack 2 - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Attack 2 adv - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Damage 2x - (2d12+10)

(84) + 10 = 22

Attack 3 vs p1 - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Advantage - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Attack p2 - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Advantage - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Damage p1 - (1d12+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Damage p2 crit - (1d12+17)

(7) + 17 = 24

Jan 19, 2019 7:40 am
HP: 159/166
Size: Large

"Hjollsted, no!"

Not knowing if his companion was dead or alive, Reòthadh unleashes his powers toward Nym in retaliation to the betrayal he witnessed.

Reo directs a sunbeam at Nym and launches a star at him.
Last edited January 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Rolls

Concentration Save DC 10 - (1d20+10)

(11) + 10 = 21

Sunbeam (DC 17 Con half damage on save) - (6d8)

(386585) = 35

Wisdom Save vs Eyebite DC 17 - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Bless - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Crown of stars vs Nym - (1d20+9)

(13) + 9 = 22

Disadvantage - (1d20+9)

(19) + 9 = 28

Bless - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Crown of stars damage - (4d12)

(9671) = 23

Jan 19, 2019 5:56 pm
Aihonen stares in horror at what has happened. Hjollsted, his poisoned shivers ending in the stillness of death. Elisia, in a state almost as bad. He takes up his sword and turns toward Nym, but Elisia catches his arm and whispers in his ear. Tormented, the paladin looks from Nym to Icasaracht. Elisia murmurs something else, and Aihonen grits his teeth and nods, then begins casting a spell.

Ug dives headlong into the necrotic auras of the two priestesses, but the young barbarian easily cuts the sahuagin to pieces (Ug takes 18 necrotic damage, and Reo takes 30).

Meanwhile, Nym flinches as Reòthadh's spells of burning light cross over the ice and snow to punish him - and then the drow blinks as the crystal in his hand consumes the radiance and shines with its own incredible light.... For just a moment. Then a violent hum churns the air and the crystal spews the spells back at Reòthadh, hammering the dwarf with his own magic (Reo takes 57 radiant damage).

For a moment, all the combatants - dragon included - stare at the drow and the shining crystal.

Icasaracht dives for Nym, jaws wide - but her face collides with a wall of conjured stone, as though some giant hand has placed segment of castle wall just before her. She shakes her head to clear away her dizziness, and then finds Aihonen atop the wall, sword held high. He turns to look down at Reòthadh. "You must not let him, or Icasaracht, take the Shard!" The paladin leaps out into the air, and his jump is obviously enhanced by magic as he soars some thirty feet before grabbing hold of one of the dragon's horns and rolling onto the top of her head. She roars and twists about, trying to throw him.

Rolls

Breath recharge - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Nym vs Reòthadh (4 attacks) - (4d20+10)

(521815) + 10 = 50

Dmg to Reo - (3d4+15)

(243) + 15 = 24

Ug wis save DC 12 (2 saves) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

1d20+2 : (20) + 2 = 22

Reo wis save DC 12 (2 saves) - (1d20-1, 1d20-1)

1d20-1 : (7) - 1 = 6

1d20-1 : (8) - 1 = 7

Spirit guardians spells - (3d8, 3d8)

3d8 : (666) = 18

3d8 : (453) = 12

Reo con save DC 17 - (1d20+10)

(1) + 10 = 11

Jan 19, 2019 11:19 pm
Nym stares up at the wall, paladin, and dragon. "Hmm!" He turns back to Reòthadh. "Well, while they're busy..." The drow drops into a roll, and when he springs fluidly back to his feet his rapier has been sheathed and replaced with a dagger. "You were a decent enough ally, Reòthadh, but there was one thing I could just never get past: You're a disgustingly hairy dwarf." He flings one dagger, then another, then two more in an unbelievably fast flurry of blades (Reo takes 25 piercing damage, or Shield to take only 18).

Icasaracht, in her efforts to dislodge Aihonen, stumbles into the fray. As the great wyrm's body writhes about, both Nym and Reòthadh are thrown to the ground (Reo and Nym each take 11 bludgeoning damage, and both are knocked prone). Nym gasps in panic as the Shard falls from his grasp. Ug, thanks to long hours listening to his mama's advice about living in a dangerous world, perfectly evades every dangerous bump.

Apparently maddened by the paladin still attached, Icasaracht rolls to her feet and takes to the air once more. She rises high above Lac Dinneshere, then rolls about and dives straight down, aiming to wash the irritating human off in the frigid waters of the lake - no matter to her that most of the surface is frozen solid.

Nym rolls about in the snow, hands scrabbling, searching. His dark-skinned face turns gleeful when he spots the Shard a short distance away, having been flung out onto the frozen surface of Lac Dinneshere.

Rolls

Nym Dex save DC 22 - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

Reo Dex save DC 22 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Ug Dex save DC 22 (adv) - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

1d20+1 : (20) + 1 = 21

Wing buffet damage - (2d6+8)

(12) + 8 = 11

Jan 19, 2019 11:19 pm
Round 6 Player Phase!!!!!!
OOC:
Ug should be dead, haha! Critting 2 saves! Very nice!

We all know KIND OF how this is supposed to end 😬

But let's see what happens! I'm sure that Ug, standing, is the one who can get to the Shard the fastest. But what will he do with it?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/56/62/675662fb05818918cf03b1f121f42443.jpg
Jan 20, 2019 1:49 am
Ugs smile disappears as the reality of the situation sinks in. He had told mama he would make her proud just a few days ago, but was he ready for THIS? A drow? A mooping dragon? And the heroes themselves showed magic Ug had never seen, especially from the lame gnome priests he despised. Ug was in way over his loincloth on this one. He could tell one thing though, that piece of ice thing was obviously very powerful, and protected the drow from harm, and everyone seemed to want it so badly. Ug makes up his mind and runs across the frozen lake. Reaching the strange object first he mimics throwing it farther away, but then stows it securely under his loincloth.

Rolls

Sneaky sneaky - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jan 20, 2019 1:59 am
HP:47/171
THP: 5

"You talk too much Nym. Maybe you should rest for a while."

Reo uses his action to cast Hold Person using heighten spell, Nym has disadvantage on his first saving throw (DC 17 Wisdom).

"And it’s called a beard, but I wouldn’t expect a hairless spider like you to understand.

Reo fires another ribbon at Icasaracht, but can’t hit the moving target.
Last edited January 20, 2019 2:33 am

Rolls

Crown of stars vs Icasaracht - (1d20+9)

(6) + 9 = 15

Disadvantage - (1d29+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

Bless - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Eyebite Save - (1d20-1)

(11) - 1 = 10

Bless - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Jan 20, 2019 2:54 am
No one notices Ug's deception.

"NO!" Nym scrambles to his feet and moves to chase the goliath out onto the lake and reclaim his prize, but then hears Reòthadh begin chanting a spell. "That's enough from you!" He skids over to the fallen dwarf, rapier out in a flash, and hastily stabs him in the chest, then turns away and whips out a wand. As he runs forward, he takes careful aim at the goliath and speaks a quick arcane word, causing a stream of webbing to fly out and wrap about Ug, knocking him to the ice.

Nym slows down and stands there, wand outstretched... and finds himself stuck as well, held fast by a spell of overpowering strength. For that rapier never made contact with Reòthadh, but was blocked by a quick spell, and the sorcerer was able to finish his enchantment of paralysis (Nym's movement takes him 30 feet away from Reo before the paralysis takes hold).

And so Nym is forced to watch as Icasaracht plunges through the ice at a terrible speed, sending a titanic shockwave across the surface of the lake. Ug, wrapped tight in magical webs, feels the ice shatter beneath him and plummets into the depths of the dark waters.

And the Shard?

Not far off, Elisia kneels in the snow and watches, tears frozen to her cheeks. For she knows what is to happen to her beloved. This day had been agreed upon for a reason, and now she watches Aihonen fulfill his destiny (Elisia uses Portent, substituting a natural 20 for Aihonen's next attack roll).

A light shines up from the still-roiling waters of Lac Dinneshere, and in that flash the waters are dark no more. There, in the bowels of the frigid lake, Aihonen strikes his final blow, driving his blade into Icasaracht's heart with all of his paladin might, even as her teeth and claws dig deep into his flesh.

Icasaracht deals 60 damage to Aihonen, killing him. And he deals 118 damage to her, killing her.

Rolls

Icasaracht breath recharge - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Nym wis save (disadv) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Nym vs Reo (adv) - (1d20+12, 1d20+12)

1d20+12 : (4) + 12 = 16

1d20+12 : (1) + 12 = 13

Ug Dex save DC 15 (adv) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

1d20+2 : (9) + 2 = 11

Dmg to Reo - (1d8+7, 7d6)

1d8+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

7d6 : (3434314) = 22

Dmg to Icasaracht - (1d10+18, 3d6+18, 6d8+48)

1d10+18 : (9) + 18 = 27

3d6+18 : (122) + 18 = 23

6d8+48 : (711122) + 48 = 62

Icasaracht vs Aihonen (6 attacks) - (6d20+14)

(3107347) + 14 = 48

Dmg to Aihonen - (2d10+8, 2d8, 2d6+8, 2d8+8)

2d10+8 : (59) + 8 = 22

2d8 : (83) = 11

2d6+8 : (36) + 8 = 17

2d8+8 : (11) + 8 = 10

More damage to icky - (2d6+12)

(53) + 12 = 20

Jan 20, 2019 7:17 am
Round 7 Player Phase!!!!!!!
OOC:
Ug is restrained and sinking down to the bottom - with the Shard tucked safely away. We'll come back to him, so no need to post his turn.

Thanks to Nym's rogue movement bonuses, he ends 30 feet away from Reo. But Reo is still large... and no longer under the Eyebite spell.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/4c/f8/6f4cf81183663723543666305c8b2bfd.jpg
Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am
HP:47/171
THP: 5

Standing up, Reòthadh moves towards Nym, not sure what to do with his traitorous companion. Staggering from the injuries sustained and the exertion of fighting the matriarchal dragon, Reòthadh clumsily approaches nearly falling down in the snowy drifts. The air crackles along his hands as he reaches out towards the drow.

"I’m feeling a bit tired, why don’t you come a little closer."

Reo casts lightning lure at 15 feet away from Nym, pulling him 10 feet closer.

"That’s better."

Tears well up in the dwarf’s eyes as his brow furrows, his breath heavy and voice strained.

"We made a great team, you and I.... I thought of you as a brother. Such wasted potential, thrown away for a trinket of power."

Raising his axe, the dwarf starts weeping as he moves to strike the drow, the blade glowing a soft red, green and blue.

Reo casts greenflame blade as a bonus action with quicken spell.

Ignoring the incorrect +4 on greenflame blade, Nym takes 65 damage of mixed damage types.
Last edited January 20, 2019 8:00 am

Rolls

Lightning Lure - (3d8)

(835) = 16

Greenflame auto crit? - (4d8+4)

(1615) + 4 = 17

battleaxe damage - (2d10+9)

(710) + 9 = 26

Frost brand ice damage - (2d6)

(64) = 10

Jan 20, 2019 2:45 pm
Nym is unable to defend himself as the dwarf's axe cuts across his fine leather armor. Though the drow exhibits no signs of pain, no wince or even gasp, Reòthadh knows that he is feeling every scrape of the weapon over his ribs. And the fear...

A crack rings out from the middle of the lake as a new coating of ice begins to form, much more quickly than it should.

A sudden, ragged scream tears from Nym's throat, and he stumbles away from the dwarf, obviously having trouble standing.. "You... I..." He reaches for his weapons and whirls about. "I am going to make you repay that debt of pain, dwarf."
OOC:
Nym uses Legendary Resistance to turn that fail into a success. He always had the trait, but I was hoping he'd be able to do it on his own. On we go!
HP: 28
AC: 20

Rolls

Nym wis save - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Jan 20, 2019 5:59 pm
HP: 47
THP: 25
Size: Large

Reo casts Armor of Agathys at 4th level and converts a level three slot into sorcery points.

The dwarf silently watches. No longer willing to speak to the drow.
Last edited January 20, 2019 6:07 pm
Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm
Nym eyes the frost surrounding Reòthadh's oversized body warily, then bursts into a flurry of motion. Two daggers fly out at the dwarf, digging painfully into his shoulder and arm. They are only a distraction, however, as next Nym flips out another wand and activates it.
[ +- ] Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Reòthadh feels his sense of reality slip away as Nym stalks closer. Is the drow becoming larger? When did he learn such magic? Or is Reòthadh shrinking... It is hard to tell for certain, and the dwarf finds himself chuckling at the thought. The chuckle turns into a full-bellied laugh, and then turns darker, out of control.

Sides aching from the force of his mirth, the dwarf falls deeper and deeper into himself. He barely feels his arms brought behind his back, and the *snick* of manacles sends him into yet worse hysterics.
[ +- ] Dimensional Shackles
"...death by poison would be too quick for you, dwarf. Too merciful... These are probably too expensive ron waste on the likes of you, but... well... humor me..."

White snow. Red snow. White snow. Is he being dragged?

"...you cost me that Shard! I'm going to find it, someday... come back and search..."

The going is easier now. Is that his reflection on the ground? Funny. Not snow. Ice.

"...and you... maybe I'll carve your sorry hide out. Maybe you won't be worth the effort. We'll just have to see..."

The cracking of ice.

"...by Lolth's swollen arse, you're a heavy one. Well, best of luck to you down there. I don't expect you'll last too long, with that curse of hysteria. But Icasaracht's death seems to be freezing the lake up rather quickly. Who knows, maybe I'll carve your corpse out some day. In the meantime, I have some plans for your home. So much treasure, so much profit to be made... Ah yes. Well. Goodbye, Reòthadh..."

Cold

Wet

Dark

Rolls

Nym vs Reo (2 thrown dagger attacks) - (1d20+10, 1d20+10)

1d20+10 : (11) + 10 = 21

1d20+10 : (8) + 10 = 18

Dmg to Reo - (2d4+10)

(34) + 10 = 17

Reo wis save - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Jan 20, 2019 7:51 pm
And thus the last great white dragon matriarch, Icasaracht, the Heart of Winter, was slain at the hand of Aihonen, who also met his end.

Several factors kept Reòthadh from joining them in death, such as his unique connection to frost giant magic, his indomitable fortitude, and a lingering spell cast by Elisia earlier that day. As his body froze, his innate magic rose in response, welcoming the cold and making it his own. Bound as he was by the enchanted shackles, and frozen through with ice, he remained in a sort of stasis for hundreds of years as time passed in the world above.

Nym continued on his way, seeking profit at the expense of everyone he came in contact with. Several times over the centuries he returned to Lac Dinneshere in search of the mysterious Shard, and in spite of his greatest efforts never found it.

And what became of the Shard? Tucked away from the light of day at the bottom of a dark lake, within an even darker loincloth, its powers quieted and dimmed. In its hibernated state, it shared only the most basic of its many properties with the frozen mountainborn goliath, keeping Ug the barbarian barely alive as the centuries passed, until the day that it tired of its rest and pulsed once more, awakening Ug from a very long sleep.

And when Ug finally crawled out of the lake on a day in Easthaven, what happened to that Shard? It is possible - even likely, given the nature of the Shard - that to this day Ug himself has absolutely no idea. Given the extent of the ordeal, he may not remember the battle at Lac Dinneshere at all, or even realize that hundreds of years passed while he was sleeping.
Jan 20, 2019 7:56 pm
OOC:
WOW. So much stuff happened here that I didn't expect, and that just makes the whole story richer!

I'm sure we will find some loose ends, like "Why didn't Ug and Nym recognize each other in the tunnels beneath the Temple of the Forgotten God?" Well... Ug possibly thinks it was all a dream, or doesn't remember at all. He and Nym certainly didn't get a good look at each other in this story.

When Ug meets Reòthadh in the main timeline, perhaps he'll start to get his memory back.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.