Anyone need help with source material?

load previous
Sep 29, 2015 11:22 pm
Thanks, Remnant. This is giving me a harder time than it really should. :-)
Sep 30, 2015 2:31 am
Thanks @Remnant for helping the others out!

I asked K about the character sheet and it's on his list, but it's reasonably far down on his list to make it generic for any of the FFG Star Wars stuff -- so go ahead and just throw it into the Obligation/Notes section as you feel like.

@Phantom - I'll double check and review the character to make sure it looks hunky dory. Given this is my first time, it'll be a pretty cursory review. Given the time frame, the only two Sith Lords (due to the Rule of Two) are the Emperor and Darth Vader you could have been a plaything of the Emperor or Darth Vader, that's cool too -- feel free to weave that into your story line, if so. Otherwise, if you'd like it to be some nameless or other Dark Side user, definitely feel free to let me know.

@szemely - if you want any more realtime assistance, I can happily stumble through things with you. :)

@spaceseeker - can you add the relevant details from the pre-made character you're using into your character sheet?
Sep 30, 2015 3:45 am
Alright, I saw the PM you sent. I sent one back but I'll repost the jist here. I re-added everything and found out my error was adding two too many skills from my Shadow specialization. I thought it said I got a free rank in all specialization skills, when it is only two of them. I adjusted my character, and also tweaked my revenge hook to tie back to Vader. Since this is a one-shot I'm not too concerned with the long game. If we do another game after I may just make a new character from the total book set of the Star Wars RPG games.

Thanks again for adding up the XP and catching the error. This is one of the more complex character creations I've done. D&D 5e has nothing on this.
Sep 30, 2015 4:02 am
Agreed -- I think the concept is straightforward (spend XP) but you can spend it on So Many Things. And they kind of hide the whole "free rank" thing in the long descriptions of the classes. They could use a good summarization 1-sheet or callout that says "do X. get 3 free skill ranks from Y. get 2 from Z. don't forget to buy Force Powers if you want them since they appear WAY LATER IN THE BOOK" etc.
Sep 30, 2015 12:22 pm
Oggdude on the FFG forums has a creation tool for the PCs that was very helpful I thought which is what I used to build my character, I'll put the break out in the XP expenditure thread later tonight... and update my character's fluff.
Last edited September 30, 2015 12:22 pm
Sep 30, 2015 3:03 pm
At the moment, I can't submit a character to games. I have the character, but can't submit it.
There are clearly a few things that the introductory character folio for Kaveri doesn't have, though, and I'm not sure if these are things from EotE that don't apply, or if they're just things that were left off the simplified starting characters.

Morality I assume is a measure of light side/dark side, and starts for everyone in the middle at 50. Is that right?
Kaveri has a career of Seeker, but no specialization.
Motivations and Obligations are unclear to me; are these specific mechanically, or are they details from a character's background?

Kaveri has the following skills (all at 1): Coordination, Perception, Stealth, Survival, Vigilance, Ranged (heavy).
Sep 30, 2015 3:26 pm
It might take K a bit to do figure it out, I tried making a character for Shadowrun 5E when it was made available for S&Gs but it never was added, a few days later I had created 8-13 copies of the character (blank sheet though) so if you're reported it, the glitch should get worked out evnetually.

Morality is a FaD thing for Force users (Jedi). Starting is 50 and you can take an XP, money, XP-Money, +Morality, -Morality which further tailors how your PC as a Jedi is different, High and Low Morality I think does mechanical stuff also.

Kaveri is a Pathfinder for specialization although they didn't state as such (Pathfinder is the only one with the ability to have the talent advancement Grit out of the three trees).

Motivations is background fluff on all characters which since it's storybased is needed I'm guessing, Obligations and/or Duty is like Morality but for EotE and AoR. Technically they could be both fluff and mechanical state but I figure the GM wanted to go with Morality for all of us (Unless you're playing a straight up character from the EotE or AoR settings and not a force user from FaD (I'm assuming)).

As for the skills I'd have to look through the book but I figure those are the 'free picks'. Looking through the list you mentioned it doesn't make a lot of sense to me though, maybe I have to look at the races and they're different (I have two from race myself, 3 career, and two off specialization for free).
Sep 30, 2015 4:41 pm
Thank you; I clearly have more work on finishing the character than I'd thought.

I've noticed that others have a number for Morality, while Obligations in the games I've seen of EotE have been character hooks from their backgrounds that get "invoked" or activated for each session. That is to say, at the start of an EotE session, the GM rolls to see which character's obligation activates for that session, as in "Ah, Delfon, I see that your obligation 'hated rivalry with your brother' is going to come into play somehow this session," which adds a little direction for the chaotic events to come. Is that analogous to how morality is used in FaD? Do we as players have descriptors of our characters' specific moral attitudes that can then be invoked/played upon in a session, or is the description of one's morality just up to the GM to dictate based off of the number?
Last edited September 30, 2015 4:42 pm
Sep 30, 2015 5:12 pm
Obligations for a PC are things that shackle you to situation you have to deal with if you think about it, a high enough obligation means you're not able to do anything but deal with your obligation drama (every time you get out they pull you back in). With the game being story based it's a good thing I think meaning each adventure would be different depending on the group of PCs and what they're levels were at. Unless we have someone with a PC from the EotE we don't have to deal with the mechanics.

Morality affects your force powers and high morality gives you bonuses (I think there's a 80+ and 90+ range), low morality if you are not attempting to be a dark sided force wielding Jedi hurts you. So doing good deeds promotes better morality I figure which helps you in the long run with light aligned force powers (most of them are light side). After each session your morality can go up or down depending on what you did. I figure our motivations are toggle switches to our morality though. We picked a virtue and a vice for the most part so probably need a bit of clarification if it's in general or just us specifically the motivation deals with (standing by your virtue or promoting your virtue in others). I'd have to read the section again myself to give you a crunch answer on how it works but I don't have the book on me.

Oh yeah don't know if we're allowed to do this kind of thing but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsusMbEdXk
Last edited September 30, 2015 5:54 pm
Oct 2, 2015 3:37 am
spaceseeker19 says:
At the moment, I can't submit a character to games. I have the character, but can't submit it.
There are clearly a few things that the introductory character folio for Kaveri doesn't have, though, and I'm not sure if these are things from EotE that don't apply, or if they're just things that were left off the simplified starting characters.

Morality I assume is a measure of light side/dark side, and starts for everyone in the middle at 50. Is that right?
Kaveri has a career of Seeker, but no specialization.
Motivations and Obligations are unclear to me; are these specific mechanically, or are they details from a character's background?

Kaveri has the following skills (all at 1): Coordination, Perception, Stealth, Survival, Vigilance, Ranged (heavy).
Looking at the skills for Kaveri -- I think she's a Seeker : Hunter (Stealth, Coordination are specialization skills) -- but Remnant's right about the talent (Grit) being a Pathfinder talent. I'm kinda confused -- I think you can go either route, and we'll call the skills "good" regardless.

Looking over the character sheet - it looks like Morality is ignored in this context. So I think you could choose to spend another 10 XP if you opted for a 50 Morality, or you could go for some of the other options (more credits, more morality).
Oct 2, 2015 12:37 pm
Had a minute to look at it since I remembered to bring my book for lunch and I'm eating breakfast. Premades don't follow standard char build but a custom build probably around background story (they have limited tree expansion plus they have skills from multiple specializations... unless this is how it actually works in which case D=)

Starting Race is 1/2/2/3/2/2 100XP
Free Perception Rank 1 & Pack Hunter (Assist Manuevuer gives 2 BD vs 1 Boost Die (BD or the baby blue die)

Seeker Career: Free Xenology, Pilot Planet, Pilot Space, Ranged Heavy, Survival, Vigilance (pick 3, the last three)
Specialization: Coordination/Ranged Heavy/Stealth/Vigilance or Medicine/Ranged Light/Survival
Brawn 20xp
Agility 30XP 40XP
It is possible to grab both for left over XP if there's a morality 50 to start.

Her Seeker Career Tree lists just Coordination, knowledge, piloting, ranged Heavy, Stealth, Survival, & Vigilance so maybe since the box set came out first they simplified things for the box set so the intros aren't as clunky? Or a further breakout was pushed for the baselined version for the corebook after play testing lessons learned and feedback on customization?
Last edited October 2, 2015 12:53 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.