Chapter 2: Smoke on the Water

Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am
Late that evening, amidst the carousing, the sailors on lookout report to the captain, who then motions for Ian and Khiiral to go with him to the poop deck. Once there, the minotaur points his spyglass to starboard, at a small reddish spot on the horizon casting a faint glow against the still-overcast sky. It can only mean one thing: fire.

Valrakas hands the spyglass to Ian. "What d'ye reckon? Too small t' be another volcano. A burnin' ship, p'raps?"
OOC:
I am issuing another invitation for anyone who wishes to take an officer's position. Refer to this document. None of these positions NEED to be filled, but if anyone is interested, now is the time because you would also be in this scene. Exceptions would be the surgeon and the cook who would be busy with their duties at this time.
Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm
Perhaps. May also be a trap.
Feb 11, 2019 7:28 pm
Captain Valrakas nods sagely. "My thinkin' as well. Still, better'n this monotony. Maintain our distance, keep an eye on it. Take 'nother look in daylight."

The minotaur scowls at the overcast sky. "I wish we could see th' fuckin' stars!"
Feb 11, 2019 7:39 pm
Aye...He sighs. Tis a bloody mess we're in
OOC:
(do they have a compass?
Feb 11, 2019 8:51 pm
"We get closer and I can send Domare over to see what this is. That or fly over. No sense getting ourselves in a mess."
Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm
OOC:
I have edited the above so the quartermaster would have joined the captain and the first mate on the poop deck.

Nela, you would not have been there, but I will insert your suggestion to use Domare in the morning when the entire crew will have been made aware of the situation.
Feb 11, 2019 11:34 pm
Khiiral looks up at the overcast sky "Aye cap’n, I should be able to get us found once the sky clears."
Feb 12, 2019 1:35 am
That fire worries me....
Feb 12, 2019 4:31 am
Khiiral stares at the fire, resting his chin and hands on top of his unstrung longbow "It could be trouble. But no one gets rich on the high seas without getting into some trouble." he says with a smile. "Let’s go check it out."
Feb 12, 2019 11:55 am
bites his lip.
Get closer, but nae too close. If it is distress, do what we can. Stil fear a trap
Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm
"Aye. Tell th' men, party's over. I want everyone well-rested tomorrow."
Feb 12, 2019 7:45 pm
Dawn breaks some hours later.* The cloud cover finally parts for the first time since the storm, revealing a pink and gold sky. Ribbons of smoke rise from the spot where the glow was in the night.

"It isn't a ship," Valrakas grunts as he squints at it through his spyglass, "it's a flotilla of small craft, all burning. Could still be a trap. Battle stations." The captain turns the Kestrel to starboard, headed for the flotilla with both the sun and the wind at her back.

On Nela's suggestion, Domare is sent flying ahead of the Kestrel.** The Kestrel makes 5 knots at full sail - you should come upon the flotilla in about half an hour.
OOC:
*Far less than 8 hours, but consider yourselves Long-Rested.

*How far ahead, Nela? Telepathic link and the ability to see through Domare's eyes both have maximum range of 100ft.
Feb 12, 2019 8:48 pm
OOC: Domare transmitting range is only 100'. It is best Nela fly over there at a high altitude and scout it on Shine.

Nela says to Cap, "I can fly there on shine and see what is what."
Feb 13, 2019 4:49 pm
"Go. But keep yer distance."

As Valrakas turns her to run downwind, the Kestrel leaps forward with a snap of the sails and a burst of sea spray. Though still missing a topmast, the agile ship makes good time and doesn't fall too far behind the vanguard, comprised of Nela, Shine, and Domare.

Nela counts five small outrigger craft of strange design, and a large, gaudily-painted one shaped like a water beetle that looks like it could carry several families. All appear to have been set ablaze in the night, and most are hardly more than charred husks now. Shine has to circle wide to avoid all the smoke. Curiously, she doesn't see any corpses on the wrecks, nor in the water.

Miraculously, survivors are spotted: an old woman with a baby in her arms huddles atop a piece of debris.

The Kestrel is 200 feet from the wrecks, and closing.
Feb 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Nela quickly flies back, "Lots of odd sea crafts burnt, but I spotted one survivor. Looks like we will find out what happened. Might want to bring her in slow."
Feb 13, 2019 7:06 pm
The woman waves frantically at Nela. "Help! Help us! Oh, thank goodness!"

The Kestrel coasts to a stop 30 feet away.
Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm
"It might be best if I went down under the water here and took a look. Before we get too far?" Nela asks.
Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm
"Please hurry!" the woman pleads. "They took everybody - dragged them under! They could still be around! Help us!" The baby starts crying.
OOC:
Everyone give me Perception rolls. What actions? Are you helping the woman and baby? How?
Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm
OOC: Nela

Rolls

Perception check around - (1d20+13)

(1) + 13 = 14

Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm
moves cautiously to the rail.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.