OOC Thread

Oct 3, 2015 3:15 am
Somewhere for out of character chat/discussion.
Oct 4, 2015 4:38 pm
Good to see Grapthor again! Characters look good so far.
I'll try to get a game thread going tonight at some point.
A couple things :
1)I'd like you guys to come up with some minor bonds to link yourselves to each other, especially our circle and not circle mage.

2)perhaps come up with a personal motivation (I see Phantom has this already with his father.) this doesn't have to be anything major, just might give me some food for random thought down the road.
Oct 5, 2015 3:24 pm
My intention with Lockley the Circle Mage is to make him a loyalist but not a zealot. He has a focus on religious lore, which is not limited to the Chantry, and instead speaks to a burning desire to understand how other cultures have handled the inherent dangers of sorcery, perhaps without resorting to the draconian methods of the Templars.

As to non-circle mages, he will tolerate them as he understands that the Templars can't be the only solution, but his loyalty to the Circle will mean that should the apostate exhibit a full lack of control of their abilities, the Templars may still get called upon.
Oct 5, 2015 4:13 pm
I hadn't noticed at first that Jake is a Tevinter mage, must be a new background in the CRB. It's all good though.
I suppose circle mages probably trust Tevinter mages about as much as apostates.
Oct 5, 2015 8:06 pm
How would you guys feel about something kind of like this to get us started:

You've all found reasons to follow your goals to Denerim, be it knowledge, fame, riches. Due to some recent troubles with shipping into Denerim's port, those arriving from the North (Jake) had been forced to land in Amaranthine and travel by road the rest of the way to Denerim. It is on this caravan that the rest of our party can meet up with each other, and perhaps even seen each others' capabilities fighting off some brigands.

How does this sound? Let me know if I missed something in your character concept that is clashing with this possibility.

EDIT: Don't worry spaceseeker, I think I have an idea if you go for ambitious city elf of how we can make that fit with leaving the city temporarily.
Oct 5, 2015 8:15 pm
That sounds fine, Grendel.
Oct 5, 2015 9:10 pm
Yes, that sounds fine. I think Rothas' ambition could easily take him out of the city on a quest for glory.
Oct 6, 2015 12:25 am
Cool cool cool
Oct 6, 2015 2:33 am
I think my last known place that my father had been seen is Denerim. I know little after that as to his whereabouts. I'm sure I'll find a dead end, but I have to try. My character is pretty easy to guide for the start of the game because I'm following the trail of someone else. If he has passed through somewhere, I hope to have known it.

As suggested by Grendal, I know many Banns keep extensive private records and libraries, so getting in with a wealthy patron might prove a valuable boon to your search for your father's story.

To reitterate a bit. My mother is non-magical. I seem to have the inherent gift to magic, this is why I'm trying to find my father. To understand more about myself and the magic I seem to have the ability to control.
Last edited October 6, 2015 2:36 am
Oct 6, 2015 2:37 am
Excellent. I'll have a post up in the next few hours. You guys will be rolling into the city after a relatively light adventure. I'll give you a chance to RP what might have happened, maybe boast & brag. Anything goes (within reason), feel free to make up anything interesting that may have brought you all closer together on the trip from Amaranthine to Denerim.
Oct 6, 2015 4:12 am
All right everyone, have at her! Let me know if you have any questions. Keep the hate mail to my PM box ;)
Oct 7, 2015 3:25 pm
I cycled the 'lock' on the game thread, hopefully it lets you post normally. If not we can let keleth know.
Oct 8, 2015 1:47 am
I'll move us along later tonight if no one else has anything to add.
Oct 8, 2015 7:55 pm
Are these robed people part of a group that we should know as being from this world? Maybe a knowledge roll?
Oct 8, 2015 10:42 pm
They don't have any obvious markings or trappings that would suggest any particular order or sect.
There's a chance, but it'll require two checks. An average (tn 11) perception(hearing) and if you succeed, a hard (tn 15) cunning(religious lore)

Everyone else can try the perception test as well if you want, and the religious lore if you have the focus.
Oct 8, 2015 11:59 pm
I'll just make those rolls here.
Oh yeah! Got those checks. What do I know?
Oh wait, do I have to have those focuses in order to make the rolls?
Last edited October 9, 2015 12:03 am

Rolls

Perception - (3d6+2)

(155) + 2 = 13

Cunning - (3d6+2)

(665) + 2 = 19

Oct 9, 2015 1:39 am
I was thinking you'd need the Religious Lore focus, but we'll let it slide this time. I don't like the RAW rules that they can just never be taken, especially with things like perception, so I'll decide on a case by case basis, feel free to suggest rolls like this whenever you like. I'll give you the result in the game thread.
Oct 9, 2015 2:32 am
Actually reading through the Corebook it looks like he did it right. If we don't have the specific focus we can just add the base ability score that you are looking for, we just lose the +2 for the focus.

From the Corebook:
Roll all three dice and add the results together; you want to roll high. You then add the ability you’re testing and another 2 if you have an applicable ability focus. The final number is your test result.
Last edited October 9, 2015 2:37 am
Oct 9, 2015 4:14 am
Okay, perfect. I think I was recalling some forum discussion I had stumbled upon. Phantom, you have the new CRB right?
Oct 9, 2015 5:21 am
Yeah I have the PDF for the new corebook. Wish I had $60 to drop on the hardcover. The art is great.
Oct 9, 2015 5:43 am
I'm going to have to get one soon myself, sucks that the Canadian dollar is so bad right now, Amazon is a bit more expensive than usual.

And as for pointing out the 'Bon Mot' rule, that's awesome. I love the RP stunt idea. I don't think that rule is in the set 1 stuff, or maybe I just missed it.
Oct 9, 2015 7:30 am
RP Stunts! Ok, I officially love this system! I can't seem to find RP Stunts in the rulebook though. What page?
Oct 9, 2015 11:08 am
I have set 1 & 3 of DA: RPG. I don't remember seeing RP stunts, but I'll double check when I get home from work this afternoon
Last edited October 9, 2015 8:35 pm
Oct 9, 2015 5:45 pm
In the PDF version I have which is the big combined rulebook it starts the section on Roleplaying and Exploration stunts on page 131. The tables for these two types are on page 133.
Oct 10, 2015 7:01 pm
I'm heading home for Canadian thanksgiving, so I may be extra slow in responding this weekend.
Oct 10, 2015 7:55 pm
Happy thanksgiving! I'll be afk tomorrow, same reason.
Oct 13, 2015 3:51 am
BTW for Lockley and Jake's sake, I'll post the spell stunts as well, apologies for that oversight. Unless that really isn't useful and everyone just has the manuals handy when they're posting...

F*ck it, I'll do it anyway :)
Oct 13, 2015 3:59 am
I have the manual handy. :) I'm always looking out for those spell stunts. Any stunts for that matter. I think this is my new favorite RPG system.
Oct 13, 2015 4:00 am
Also really glad you're double checking the math Grendel, I didn't even realize I forgot to add in the 6 for the dragon dice, and the 1 for the other dragon dice. It's funny how much that factors into spell damage numbers, and just casting in general.
Oct 13, 2015 4:01 am
Yeah the stunts should make for some pretty exciting (and potentially deadly as the NPCs can use them too) encounters.
Oct 13, 2015 4:07 am
Bad guys have decent soak values for their armour, so every extra point counts. Also we're all new to the system (I think) so we'll all have to try to keep each other honest.
Oct 13, 2015 9:56 pm
Do we do stunts on damage rolls or just attack rolls?
Oct 13, 2015 10:53 pm
Just attack rolls. We'll, and occasional skill checks depending on the situation. Basically whenever 3d6 and the dragon die are in play.
Oct 13, 2015 10:59 pm
Okidoki. Just wanted to make sure
Oct 14, 2015 4:38 am
As far as I've run into there are separate tables in the rulebook for Combat Stunts, Magic Stunts, Roleplay Stunts, and Exploration Stunts. I haven't read the book in full though, but there are a ton of them. :)
Oct 14, 2015 11:59 am
Ouch. Good moves from that one cultist. Remember which on that is. Jake has a new favored enemy.
Oct 14, 2015 7:07 pm
Qralloc, don't forget you can still take a minor action to move/stand up if you want, we have time to resolve it whenever before the cultists are up again.

The bonus for attacking a prone target is +1 so it isn't the end of Lockley's world either way.
Oct 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Edited my action to stand up, thanks!
Oct 14, 2015 8:09 pm
Sheesh. At this rate, it's gonna be ten rounds before I drop this guy!

I can see it now: after three or four rounds, everyone else will be sitting around, eating some jerky, providing running commentary while they wait for the elf to stop playing around and finish his foe already.
Oct 14, 2015 10:26 pm
3d6 sure doesn't seem very powerful when rolling ones!
Oct 15, 2015 5:54 am
Qralloq, technically you do have to roll to try and cast Winter's Grasp. Since the spell has a Target Number (TN). You need to do a Magic test to see if you actually cast the spell, or if it fizzles. Just be careful when fizzling spells because if it fails to cast, and the dragon die result is a 1, a magical mishap happens and some bad stuff comes about.
Last edited October 15, 2015 5:54 am
Oct 15, 2015 5:57 am
Oh, I love magical mishaps. Just like wild magic surges. Fun times!
Oct 15, 2015 6:09 am
I do too, I hope someone out there has created a magical mishap table that is like 10,000 items long. One exists for wild magic surges like that. :)
Oct 15, 2015 6:10 am
The magical mishaps are introduced in Set 2, and in there they say that they only apply to spells with 'requirements', aka the more advanced spells. Is that still the case in the new CRB Phantom?

Either way, if the two mages want to play with magical mishaps on their basic spells, it would be pretty fun, though potentially brutal for you. It requires passing a Willpower(self-discipline) check against the spell's TN. A failure brings out the nasty chart based on dragon die. For example 5 = Lost in the Fade: The mage falls into a trance, their spirit lost in the depths of the Fade for 2d6 minutes. The mage is helpless during this time and vulnerable to a coup de grace.

I'll leave it up to you guys, it seems like shouldn't necessarily be necessary for the types of spells you're slinging now, but if you'd like to give it a whirl then so be it.
Oct 15, 2015 7:41 am
Since Bray is disarmed and he has two other weapons sheathed along with a shield, can I draw and attack in the same round?
Oct 15, 2015 12:10 pm
Oh no, you are right Grendel, it is only on more advanced spells.
Oct 15, 2015 4:16 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Since Bray is disarmed and he has two other weapons sheathed along with a shield, can I draw and attack in the same round?
As a minor action you can stow and draw a weapon, so you can draw a single weapon as a minor. You'll also need a minor action to stand up though.
Oct 15, 2015 4:22 pm
So, two minor actions and I'm done this turn?
Oct 15, 2015 4:52 pm
Well, I guess I figure that a person should be able to combine drawing a weapon while moving. So you could minor to stand up and draw a weapon, then major it into the bad guy's gut.
Oct 16, 2015 12:00 am
Brutal couple hits on Bray and Lockley! Stunts seem to come up a lot more often that I figured they would. Though I suppose the odds are actually 44% which is pretty high.
Oct 16, 2015 12:34 am
Oooh, Lockley got a magic stunt point. :)
Oct 16, 2015 1:06 am
One before I die, woot woot
Oct 16, 2015 1:17 am
In the future, we'll use the Spell Stunts table for Stunts when spellcasting. Most of them are similar effects to those on the regular stunt list, but more applicable to spellcasting.

Lockley's mind blast skirmish will stand, it makes sense moving people around in the mind blast.
Oct 16, 2015 1:33 am
One stunt, glory, one stunt before I go!
Oct 16, 2015 1:41 am
So ... Bray is getting the shit kicked outta him. Are there disengage rules? Don't want to pull back and have it bite me in the ass. Need to draw my shield... Crap. I bet you've been using my armor w/shield number included
Oct 16, 2015 2:00 am
There aren't any attacks of opportunity or anything like that. A minor action could draw your shield and move away, say half your speed. Then you could move again, or defend/attack as a major.
As for your defence value, just add a separate entry on your character sheet for future reference.

My justification for combining drawing weapons and moving is due to the rather complex 'ready' action which allows you to stow and draw a weapon, so I think moving half speed and drawing a weapon seems reasonable.
Oct 16, 2015 4:36 pm
Sorry spaceseeker, I love the idea to launch the guy into his friend, but after going to the map to update I realized he was about 8 yards from the villains in Bray's face.
Oct 16, 2015 7:23 pm
Ok, I have 5 SP to spend does that mean I can perform multiple stunts right now?! :-D
Oct 16, 2015 7:32 pm
Sure does! You can't bank them so Lay waste.
Oct 16, 2015 11:51 pm
Are we rolling badly our should we have avoided this fight?
Oct 17, 2015 12:21 am
It's too late for that attitude now soldier! Lol.
Oct 17, 2015 12:23 am
Lol oh no, that's all ooc thoughts. Bray is determined.
Oct 17, 2015 10:05 pm
I think maybe good luck for the cultists combined with mages taking the initiative on the front lines :)

I'm also new to this game and there isn't really a clearly defined challenge rating for foes, so perhaps I'm being mean.
Oct 18, 2015 12:35 am
For my part, I know I'm rolling pretty badly: no stunts at all yet, and most of my 3d6 attack rolls have been low.
Oct 18, 2015 12:58 am
Oh man! Big triple ones! That's not how to get it done!
Oct 18, 2015 1:09 am
Yeah that offsets my strong opening so far. Makes sense that in such a stressful time my powers would fail me. I am still young and my control isn't always the best.
Oct 18, 2015 1:10 am
To be fair to the GM we could totally not have been in this battle I'm sure if we didn't so recklessly jump into a battle. Man, if only SOMEONE didn't go flying off the handle due to brash youth and inexperience.
Last edited October 18, 2015 1:11 am
Oct 18, 2015 8:52 am
Quote:
4 Dual Strike:Your attack is so strong it affects two targets. First, pick a secondary target. He must be adjacent to you if you are using a melee weapon or within 6 yards of your primary target if you are using a ranged weapon. Apply the test results of your attack roll to the secondary target. If you hit the secondary target, inflict your normal damage on him.
What does "If you hit the secondary target, inflict your normal damage on him" mean exactly?
Oct 18, 2015 3:06 pm
I think it just means you use the same attack roll to try and hit both, you only inflict damage on the second target if you actually hit the them. It's weirdly worded but that's what I got. Like trying to say it isn't just free damage on the second target.
Oct 18, 2015 3:10 pm
Right. If the second target had a greater defence value you might have missed him.
Oct 18, 2015 3:16 pm
But does it mean you roll damage separately for the second target, or do you use the same damage roll as for the first target?
Oct 18, 2015 3:27 pm
That's a good question. My first instinct is to just use the original damage roll as I think it is meant to be one huge attack that affects two targets.
I would be okay with giving PC's the choice however, perhaps being influenced by how they choose to describe the manoeuvre, or how good their first damage roll was, it might be a gamble to try and beat it.
Oct 18, 2015 4:01 pm
I would just use the same damage roll. Keeps things simple :-)
Oct 18, 2015 4:24 pm
Actually the way I read it is you do a normal damage roll for the other enemy. But that's just me. Sounds like errata territory. Lol.
Oct 19, 2015 4:39 pm
Just in case I confused with my leading text, Bray is up now, cultists to follow.
Oct 19, 2015 5:05 pm
Nice rolls, except for that disarm check. Crossing fingers for C2 to fail that one.
Oct 19, 2015 5:30 pm
Ah, a gruesome death. Just how I like them.
Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm
I figured the disarm was redundant, but it fuelled the description nicely.
Also when you take the disarm stunt, there is no check required, at least as far as I can tell,you simply get to launch his weapon wherever you like. I guess it would be a good idea to carry backup weapons for that reason.
Oct 19, 2015 5:39 pm
Oh, perhaps my book is outdated. It says to make opposed attack rolls.
Oct 19, 2015 5:40 pm
Is that in the set 1 book with the stunts?
Oct 19, 2015 5:45 pm
From the full PHB.

Disarm: You attempt to disarm the target with your melee attack. You and your opponent must make an opposed attack roll. These attack rolls do not generate stunt points. If you win the test, you knock your enemy’s weapon 1d6 + Strength yards away in a direction you nominate.
Oct 19, 2015 5:49 pm
Ha, that seems a lot more reasonable. It would seem that I have the erroneous pdf. It will be as such from now on. I'll update the rules thread.
Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm
I've just realized, mostly with these tragic 13s from Rothas, don't forget about the AIM minor action. Especially if you won't be moving, it's a free +1 on your attack roll.

So, as a consolation prize for being late to remind, spaceseeker, if you want to edit an aim into your action I'll allow it.
Oct 19, 2015 8:18 pm
Sorry, took a while to look up my stunts and stuff. I fast castes another heal and got Bray back up too.
Oct 19, 2015 8:20 pm
Oh, wait, never mind I can't even do the fast cast stunt. Looked at the wrong roll. I'll edit soon.
Oct 19, 2015 8:20 pm
No worries, where did the 4 SP come from? Looks like 3 to me.
Oct 19, 2015 8:22 pm
Yeah, my bad. Just noticed and trying to edit on a phone. It will take a second.
Oct 19, 2015 8:27 pm
Sorry Bray, but you've got lots of time left :)

Kill them with Violence Grapthor!
Oct 19, 2015 8:28 pm
Yeah, that would have been a great swing for us if only I could have managed one more SP. :)
Oct 19, 2015 8:45 pm
\o/ I'm alive! Thank you!
Oct 19, 2015 9:30 pm
Thank you for the offer (and the reminder!) about aiming. I'll probably regret it soon enough (like when I roll a 12 next turn), but I've decided to not go back and aim after the fact; I'm enjoying the covering-my-misses banter too much.
Oct 19, 2015 11:21 pm
Was Bray healed? Not sure after the edit.
If I die, I'm making a paranoid rogue that refuses to get into melee.
Oct 19, 2015 11:22 pm
No sorry. Bray is still down. I miscounted the stunt points.
Oct 19, 2015 11:24 pm
That's ok.
Oct 19, 2015 11:25 pm
If Lockely can't heal bray this next round I will. I don't need to touch to heal. It just needs to not fizzle.
Oct 19, 2015 11:26 pm
I really like that about this system. Ranged heals!
Oct 19, 2015 11:27 pm
Isn't it a touch spell? Or is that a special feature of your Tevinter background?
Oct 19, 2015 11:28 pm
I didn't see it in the spell description, unless I read it wrong. I thought it would be but the spell description didn't seem to clarify.
Oct 19, 2015 11:35 pm
Yeah my book says "your touch heals the blah blah blah ..." but then again my book has been wrong already so I wouldn't be surprised.
It was always ranged in the first two Dragon Age games.
Oct 19, 2015 11:43 pm
Actually looks like you are right. Distances are rolled into the descriptions for the most part so I would assume it's touch then. Makes sense.
Oct 20, 2015 6:55 pm
Can I aim a spell to get the +1 to the attack roll too?
Oct 20, 2015 6:59 pm
Sure. We can call it 'concentrate' for spellcasting or something. I think spending a minor action should be able to benefit spellcasters too.
Oct 20, 2015 7:03 pm
Yeah and it said in the PHB it worked for melee and ranged attacks, but it seems like a ranged spell is a ranged attack. I like the idea of concentrate. Makes sense.
Oct 21, 2015 12:14 am
I can't find my players guide for the TN for Heal, but a 9 probably won't do it.
Oct 21, 2015 3:50 am
Nope, 10. :) However, I think my 23 is just enough for an Arcane Bolt.
Oct 21, 2015 5:33 am
Wow, huge onslaught. Spaceseeker, feel free to describe how brutally you dismember that racist.

Jake hits, but doesn't drop him. I'll post for real on the morning, but Grapthor can go knowing that the fleeing cultist is still up.
Oct 21, 2015 8:46 pm
I don't have any ranged weapons. With a speed of 8 yards can I spend a Minor Action to MOVE 4 squares and then a Major Action to CHARGE (move another 2 yards AND attack)?
Last edited October 21, 2015 9:17 pm
Oct 22, 2015 1:23 am
Yes, you definitely can do that. Your short little legs will probably only get this opportunity if the cultist starts running...
Oct 22, 2015 7:46 pm
Sorry, but I don't have the pdf handy at the moment so can't look this up: are we allowed to speak out of turn or do I have to wait my turn before Grapthor can yell?
Oct 22, 2015 7:48 pm
Go ahead, just keep it short ;)
Oct 22, 2015 8:14 pm
Well it's Grapthor's turn now anyway unless Jake is up :-D
Oct 22, 2015 8:34 pm
I can't remember if standing from prone is a minor, major, or full-round action.
Oct 22, 2015 9:49 pm
Minor, and uses half of your speed
Oct 22, 2015 9:57 pm
Sorry spaceseeker, missed your post, I have the cultist about 42yds away, so you gain some ground, but don't quite catch up to him. Make a listening check as well.
Oct 22, 2015 10:02 pm
Uh, ok. So my speed is 11. I'll assume rounding down to 5. It looks like C3 is 8 yards away? So I could stand and move toward him, but I wouldn't catch him this round. Right?
Oct 22, 2015 10:26 pm
I didn't update the map after he used a major run action to take himself about 24 yds further.

He's now dead and we can leave action time.
Oct 22, 2015 10:36 pm
Oops. Thought there was one more.
Oct 23, 2015 8:04 pm
Oh, almost forgot, everyone can catch their breath and recover 5+CON+level health. This takes 5 minutes that I think we can assume will pass during this conversation.
Oct 24, 2015 8:25 pm
Holy epic heals! Gotta love the treble sixes
Oct 24, 2015 9:10 pm
Jake managed to avoid all damage in that battle.
Oct 24, 2015 9:17 pm
loving the stunt system. Gotta get my IRL groups into some AGE action.
Oct 24, 2015 9:18 pm
Yeah, this is one of my favorite new systems I've tried. Right up there with 5e, which was my first.
Oct 25, 2015 4:51 pm
Yeah I'm loving the stunt system as well! Can someone post the RP stunts in the rules thread too? :-)
Oct 25, 2015 6:15 pm
I'll get a copy... Just a minute. :)
Oct 25, 2015 6:39 pm
Thanks for posting that, PhantomNimbus! :-)
Oct 25, 2015 6:43 pm
Hope it's legible. Screen shot from my phone screen. :)
Oct 25, 2015 6:50 pm
Yeah, it's perfect! :-)
Oct 25, 2015 7:27 pm
Also added the exploration stunt list.
Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm
Good stuff!
Oct 25, 2015 9:22 pm
Thanks Phantom!
Oct 27, 2015 2:37 am
Hey, how long does it take us to get to the location, and does a light walk there get us the equivalent of an hours rest? Otherwise Jake is going to be resting heavily on the Arcane Lance's from my staff since that doesn't drain MP. Lol.
Oct 27, 2015 4:05 am
It won't take that long, but in the interest of keeping it fun for the mages, let's just say our mages can catch a bit of a magical second wind and treat it like an hour's rest.
Oct 27, 2015 4:14 am
Jake is most appreciative. :)
Oct 28, 2015 3:27 pm
Nice exploration stunts! While they may make more work for a GM, they certainly make 'roll perception' more interesting than in some systems.
I'll advance us shortly.
Oct 28, 2015 8:19 pm
Anyone else upset by the lack of list for 'Initiative Stunts'. Lol.
Last edited October 28, 2015 8:19 pm
Oct 28, 2015 8:23 pm
Just now, yup, heh.
Last edited October 28, 2015 8:23 pm
Oct 29, 2015 6:26 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Yeah, gonna try dual weapon style this time. Am I correct in understanding that I attack twice per round this way?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I can find about two-weapon fighting is the bonus to defence and the cheaper lightning attack at the journeyman level.
Oct 29, 2015 7:04 am
Quote:
Talent - Dual Weapon Style: When you wielding two weapons, you can use an activate action to gain either a +1 bonus to melee attacks or a +1 bonus to Defense against melee attacks. The bonus persists until the end of combat. You can switch the bonus with another activate action.
Ok, so per round you only still attack with one weapon or the other, but you either get a bonus to defense (I guess from parrying with the spare weapon) or an attack bonus (because you're badass)? I thought it might let you attack with both weapons, but I'll take it! :-)
Oct 29, 2015 7:10 am
If you upgrade to the journeyman level down the road, the cheaper lightning attack would be pretty awesome seeing how frequently stunts come up.
Oct 30, 2015 10:12 pm
We can move on to Bray and let Rothas act when he's ready.
Nov 5, 2015 5:02 pm
Sorry for leaving you hanging guys.

+15xp to Rothas for AXE-ing his question in such a clever way.
Nov 7, 2015 2:40 pm
I assume my Lance hit? Your didn't narrate it, but the numbers were pretty good
Nov 7, 2015 4:58 pm
Sorry, yeah it hit. It recorded the damage to him.
Nov 7, 2015 5:24 pm
So just in time for you guys to start possibly taking some hits, I wanted to see if you've been keeping track of your hp at all.

These are the numbers I have, I applied the 'Breather' after the last combat for 5+CON+Level healed.

GRAPTHOR: 35/37
BRAY: 27/36
ROTHAS 20/38
Lockley: 19/26
Jake 22/22

Might be time to get Jake's robes a little dirty...
Nov 7, 2015 5:46 pm
Jake has indeed not been hit once.
Nov 7, 2015 6:43 pm
Lucky bastard...
Nov 8, 2015 4:27 am
I already had Grapthor at 33/37 before taking that big 13hp hit so he should be down to 20/37 already.
Last edited November 8, 2015 8:12 pm
Nov 8, 2015 4:30 am
Well, consider the extra 2hp a bankroll error in your favour. At least Grapthor can take a hit like that and retaliate in kind.
Nov 8, 2015 5:28 am
Good call on the rock armour, I guess I'm still too programmed from d20 spells.
Nov 8, 2015 3:10 pm
I had Lockley at 19 also.
Nov 9, 2015 2:36 am
I just went back through the entire game thread to check Grapthor's health.

The Dregs
3 damage taken
1 damage taken
6 damage taken
8 damage taken
9 healed

Tern Street
13 damage taken

Current HP: 15/37
Nov 9, 2015 2:42 am
Ah, thanks for the leg work! I obviously missed recording a few hits on the Dwarf. I'll start posting current health with initiative more often, that should keep me honest.
Nov 9, 2015 3:07 am
You're up Grapthor, Jake can act as well, probably won't interfere...
Nov 9, 2015 3:11 am
Grendelthebrave says:
Ah, thanks for the leg work! I obviously missed recording a few hits on the Dwarf. I'll start posting current health with initiative more often, that should keep me honest.
As I have trouble keeping track of my own PC's health, I can't fault you for any errors keeping track of everybody's health (on top of everything else you're tracking!) so no worries!
Nov 9, 2015 3:12 am
Oh man. Jakes turns will be run, stabbed, heal, run, stabbed, heal. Lol. C'mon double cast!
Nov 10, 2015 7:12 pm
Have I said already that, among other things, playing this is making me want to dust off my copies of the video games and play them? Lockley and Jake's abilities in particular are really compelling...
Nov 11, 2015 4:44 pm
I agree, the magic in Dragon Age is really unique and evocative.
Nov 11, 2015 6:12 pm
I started up Origins again immediately after firing this game up.

That said, any delays this week in my responding are solely the fault of Bethesda softworks.
Nov 12, 2015 6:42 am
Actually, I think Rothas is out and dying now, unless I didn't track some healing or recuperation (I don't think any has happened for Rothas).

Tracking Rothas' HP.
He starts with 38.

Oct 15:
Quote:
The cultist engaged with Rothas swings in hard, finding a gap in Rothas' armour and cutting him. Cultist hits with ( 6, 6, 3 ) for 3SP, Mighty Blow(2SP). Rothas takes (10-4AV) 6 Damage.
HP: 32/38

Oct 16:
Quote:
The victim of Rothas' mighty swing gathers himself and advances carefully on the elf warrior. "The maker spits on knife-ears like you!" He lashes out with more swings than one would have thought possible.
Hit ( 5, 5, 3 ) with 3SP, Lightning Attack 3SP, second attack hits,hit twice for (6-4) 2 and (11-4) 7 damage. Total 9 damage.
HP: 23/38

Oct 19:
Quote:
He cuts in low at Rothas, but most of the damage is absorbed by his armour.
Rothas is hit for (8-4) 4 Damage.
HP: 19/38

Oct 20:
Quote:
The cultist sneers at Rothas' insults, and stabs in with his short sword, and connects, drawing a small amount of blood through the elf's heavy leather armour.
Cultist hits for (9-4AV) 5 Damage.
HP: 14/38

Nov 7:
Quote:
He attempts to retaliate at Rothas, cutting the elf, but doing little serious damage.
Rothas is hit for (7-4AV) 3 Damage.
HP: 11/38

Nov. 8:
Quote:
The cultist in front of Rothas stands up, yet again, the fatigue of the battle showing behind his crazed eyes. He looks around for a way out, but finds only a wall of warriors between him and the door. In response he stabs out at Rothas again, hoping to get lucky. His wild thrust is successful and finds a gap in Rothas' defence and draws blood.
Hit for (11-4AV) 7 Damage!
HP: 4/38

Nov. 11:
Quote:
The cultist wastes no time, seeing his desperate situation, he furiously attacks at Rothas who just recently attacked him. He lunges and surprises the elf, driving a dagger into his midsection.
Rothas is hit for (10-4) 6 Damage. Down to 4 Health remaining.
HP: -2/38

Actually, I don't recall whether you go negative, or just count it as zero.
Last edited November 12, 2015 6:44 am
Nov 12, 2015 7:52 am
Based on those numbers, I think the gap between our numbers is that I gave everyone the breather heal after the last scrap. For you that would have been 8 health healed, which would leave you at 66. I probably forgot the +1 for your level in that heal.
Thanks for tracking that down, we'll leave you at 6, as everyone got the breather bonus.
Nov 12, 2015 8:02 am
Last round, after dishing out a dual strike, Grapthor rushes outside to help Jake (using 1SP to Skirmish). I don't think my token was moved then. He will move further this round but I'm not sure if he'll come within striking distance. Posted an attack anyway, just ignore if it's not yet possible this round.

Oh, and Grapthor has been dual-wielding mace & battleaxe this whole combat; he hasn't been using his maul.
Nov 12, 2015 8:06 am
Grendelthebrave says:
Based on those numbers, I think the gap between our numbers is that I gave everyone the breather heal after the last scrap. For you that would have been 8 health healed, which would leave you at 66. I probably forgot the +1 for your level in that heal.
Thanks for tracking that down, we'll leave you at 6, as everyone got the breather bonus.
Thanks; I thought I was missing something!
Nov 12, 2015 3:13 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Last round, after dishing out a dual strike, Grapthor rushes outside to help Jake (using 1SP to Skirmish). I don't think my token was moved then. He will move further this round but I'm not sure if he'll come within striking distance. Posted an attack anyway, just ignore if it's not yet possible this round.

Oh, and Grapthor has been dual-wielding mace & battleaxe this whole combat; he hasn't been using his maul.
Oops, thought I caught it and swapped maul with mace last time, my bad. You'd have been able to make it out to the cultist. Maker help him.
Nov 12, 2015 4:09 pm
I now want Rothas to have a special finishing move called Axe Body Spray in which he slices them so deftly that a spray of red fills the air.
Nov 12, 2015 4:15 pm
LOL, I love it.
Nov 12, 2015 4:28 pm
Chicks dig arterial spray hahaha!
Nov 12, 2015 5:40 pm
Rothas, feel free to describe your brutal axeing of the last indoor cultist.

Bray's up
Nov 12, 2015 11:21 pm
Other things I was tempted to have Rothas say to the door:

"Are you going to be much longer?"
or
"Try not to use up all the hot water!"
or
"Make sure to wash your hands before you come out!"
or
"Whoa! What did you have for lunch? Our eyes are watering out here!"
Nov 13, 2015 2:09 am
Oh, did I err? I figured that, with my attack, even if the cultist C3 was wearing 4-point armor, he'd taken 31 points of damage, and was dead.
Nov 13, 2015 2:14 am
Ah yes. You rendered him quite dead.

Bray can change his action, or rage smash the now headless corpse ;)
Nov 13, 2015 8:25 am
Oops. Wasn't paying enough attention I guess. Post deleted. Lol was it even my turn?
Nov 13, 2015 8:33 am
It was your turn. I prompted you in the ooc just to be confusing. Feel free to act as you please now.
Nov 19, 2015 12:42 am
Man, Bray just can't buy a 14 can he? Anyway with the gang-up bonus with Jake you take out the last cultist, go ahead and describe his frosty death.
And with that we're out told initiative.
Nov 19, 2015 3:09 am
Preemptivly warn me a minute before stuff is about to go down next time. :)
Last edited November 19, 2015 3:09 am
Nov 19, 2015 4:04 am
There's gang-up bonus? I must have missed that part in Dragon Age 101!
Nov 19, 2015 6:38 am
There is a +1 bonus for 2v1, a +2 for 3v1,etc

I may have missed it before, though most of Bray's 13s were when he was solo with an enemy.

The rule is in a small little throwaway table in the combat section.
Nov 19, 2015 8:30 am
Yay! I got something again! Thanks for the bonus :) I'm gonna have to remember that rule. ;)
Nov 23, 2015 7:35 pm
What's a quatzkaw?
Nov 23, 2015 9:23 pm
That's me, making up elvish insults. I felt that was better than me calling the robed guys "bozos," "clowns," or "jerks." (For some reason, I seem to go New Jersey with pugnacious elves)
Nov 24, 2015 12:50 am
spaceseeker19 says:
That's me, making up elvish insults.
Awesome, I'm for it!
Dec 2, 2015 8:37 am
Are we waiting on a player's turn, or...?
Dec 3, 2015 2:55 pm
I think we're waiting on a lousy GM. Sorry team. I'll move us forward.
Dec 6, 2015 2:31 pm
Quote:
As we walk, Lockley will minister to Grapthor, the only one of us who seems wounded.
Edit: 6 stunt points: Ill reduce the mana cost to 0 and then cast another on Grapthor. DD is 3
Last edited December 5, 2015 10:02 pm, a total of 1 time
Rolls
Heal vs TN 10, 3MP - (3d6+3, 3d6)
3d6+3 - ( 2, 1, 5 ) + 3 = 11
3d6 - ( 2, 2, 6 ) = 10
Heal vs TN 10, 3MP - (3d6+3, 3d6)
3d6+3 - ( 4, 1, 6 ) + 3 = 14
3d6 - ( 2, 5, 4 ) = 11
I'm sorry, how many points were healed for Grapthor exactly? I read the text for the Heal spell but I'm afraid I don't follow! :-D
Dec 6, 2015 2:35 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

I'm sorry, how many points were healed for Grapthor exactly? I read the text for the Heal spell but I'm afraid I don't follow! :-D
10+11=21
Dec 6, 2015 2:56 pm
Ok, thanks! :-) That brings Grapthor up to 36/37hp.
Last edited December 6, 2015 3:02 pm
Dec 8, 2015 7:39 am
Just wanted to report that, on the strength of this RPG, I dug out my copy of Dragon Age and am playing the first video game at last.
Dec 9, 2015 12:40 pm
Nice. Did you make Rothas?
Dec 14, 2015 6:50 pm
I feel like there should be a focus within cunning for investigation. There is one I'm communication, but that could probably be renamed to persuasion or something similar as it pertains to interviewing people.
Dec 19, 2015 3:27 am
I'm going to be absolutely slammed over the weekend working on an epic Star Wars - The Force Awakens birthday cake. Won't be able to post, sorry!
Dec 23, 2015 5:16 am
Hey, how'd the cake turn out?
Dec 23, 2015 1:00 pm
The cake turned out great, thanks! Haven't had time to post photos though. Do check out our photo album - it's chock full of geekiness! :-)
Dec 28, 2015 4:38 pm
Grendelthebrave says:
Nice. Did you make Rothas?
No, I didn't, though now I'm kicking myself that it didn't occur to me.
Dec 29, 2015 12:37 am
Sorry I became absent. Busy holiday was busy. Getting back into games now. I'll be here more.
Mar 5, 2016 5:03 pm
Hey team, sorry for being a dick and disappearing from the face of GP for way too long. Personal issues to blame. I'd like to make it up to you guys and get back in if any of you are willing.
I do appreciate that you guys carried on with some RP in my absence, that's awesome.
Again, I'm sorry guys, it was a dick move, and I hope some of you are willing to swing back into action.
Mar 5, 2016 10:27 pm
I'm still here. I think the other players here are still fairly active on GP as far as I know.
Last edited March 5, 2016 10:28 pm
Mar 6, 2016 2:51 am
Hey Grendel! It's good to have you back! I'm still here and still game! :-)
Mar 6, 2016 9:30 am
I'm here. Gonna have to re-read/recap because it's been a while.
Mar 6, 2016 3:17 pm
No problem, glad to continue.
Mar 6, 2016 5:17 pm
Looking forward to it. Welcome back, and I hope that you and yours are OK.
Mar 8, 2016 10:46 pm
Just to be clear, was Rothas the only one who noticed the light, shadows, and door?
Mar 9, 2016 3:17 pm
Sorry about that, Bray notices the door being damaged, but not the light/shadows. Mostly so Rothas can reap the benefit of that sweet stunt roll.
Mar 9, 2016 5:09 pm
That's fine. just curious.
Mar 10, 2016 7:25 am
I'm sorry, but I've forgotten where to find the list of exploration stunts. Thanks!
Mar 10, 2016 8:07 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I'm sorry, but I've forgotten where to find the list of exploration stunts. Thanks!
It's here. Thanks for the gentle nudge!
Mar 10, 2016 8:20 am
I also scored some points, you see. But I don't know if anything I can buy with 3 points will be helpful now that we're charging in. I'll say Advantageous Position so Grapthor's right next to the door when Rothas throws it open, and first to follow him through.
Last edited March 10, 2016 8:22 am
Mar 10, 2016 8:29 am
Yeah, most of the Exploration Stunts seem more geared toward prolonged spycraft than quick reconnaissance.

As a player, I'd be all for taking our time and planning an attack, but that's not the glorious approach of the stories that comforted this downtrodden elf all the long years of oppression in the alienage. If the door hadn't been busted in, he might've gone the more swashbuckling route of scaling the wall and smashing through the boards on the window, but the thought of more Stilled Tongue monsters to defeat in righteous battle was too much for him.

...that said, it's probably going to just be Braedon, looking for clues.
Last edited March 10, 2016 8:32 am
Mar 11, 2016 1:24 am
Oh, and consider yourselves healed, instead of trying to make sure we have the same numbers after my absence we'll just call you all at full health & MP.
Mar 11, 2016 1:38 am
Woot! Free healing and mana.... crap, my character is superfluous, heh.
Mar 11, 2016 2:41 am
Woot woot!
Mar 13, 2016 9:43 pm
I need 2d6 more damage from Lockley from his turn.
On Lockley's turn you dealt d6+mighty d6 penetrating , then when he failed his save on his turn another 2d6 penetrating
Mar 14, 2016 12:14 am
I'm responding rather late, so let me know if I can still use my 4 points of stunts. I'd like to do Dual Strike if the other cultist is within range.
Mar 14, 2016 12:15 am
Do it up.
Mar 14, 2016 10:34 am
I think you skipped narrating my hit. I hit the first cultist with a lethal attack stunt.
Mar 14, 2016 12:17 pm
Ah yes it looks like I did. I had applied the damage though so he felt it, don't worry.
Mar 15, 2016 5:35 am
Quote:
Grapthor, your action will technically take place after Rothas' next post as his previous post was retroactively applying his dual strike damage.
Oops, sorry for posting out of turn then! :-)
Mar 15, 2016 4:22 pm
I thought Lightning Attack was for ranged attacks only? A couple of times I would've liked to use it but as a melee fighter I thought I couldn't.
Mar 15, 2016 5:22 pm
Hm. It's possible I mis-interpreted it. I was thinking that the description's reference to "range" applied IF the lightning attack was a ranged attack, not BECAUSE it was a ranged attack.
Quote:

3 Lightning Attack: You can make a second attack against the same enemy or a different one within range and sight. You must have a loaded missile weapon to make a ranged attack. If you roll doubles on this attack roll, you do not get any more stunt points.
If lightning attack doesn't apply, I'll Knock Prone instead.
Mar 15, 2016 5:25 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Hm. It's possible I mis-interpreted it. I was thinking that the description's reference to "range" applied IF the lightning attack was a ranged attack, not BECAUSE it was a ranged attack.
Quote:

3 Lightning Attack: You can make a second attack against the same enemy or a different one within range and sight. You must have a loaded missile weapon to make a ranged attack. If you roll doubles on this attack roll, you do not get any more stunt points.
If lightning attack doesn't apply, I'll Knock Prone instead.
That's a totally valid interpretation! I'd love for it to be applicable to us melee fighters as well 1) because it's cool, and 2) because there are no other 3sp stunts.

Let's see what Grendel says. :-)
Mar 16, 2016 1:51 am
As I read the rules it's these as separate bullet points

- You can make another attack on an enemy.
- the enemy must be within range and sight
- in the event you want the second attack to be ranged you must have a loaded missile weapon
Last edited March 16, 2016 1:51 am
Mar 17, 2016 1:02 am
Yes, phantom, and spaceseeker have it. Melee weapons are definitely applicable
Mar 17, 2016 4:43 am
Grendelthebrave says:
Yes, phantom, and spaceseeker have it. Melee weapons are definitely applicable
Awesome! Thanks!
Mar 20, 2016 3:56 am
Sorry, forgot to add damage, added it to my post.
Mar 20, 2016 4:01 am
Not to keep pestering you, but you also have some stunt points you can unleash from that roll :)
Mar 20, 2016 4:20 am
I already did that too. I had posted a point spend.
Mar 20, 2016 7:15 am
Quote:
note:when Grapthor seized the initiative, he moved to the top of the initiative order, he doesn't necessarily get to attack again immediately.
Ok, I've been misinterpreting this stunt all this time! I get it now. Sorry 'bout that! :-)
May 2, 2016 10:14 am
I'm clicking "Leave Game" now but if there should ever be a continuation of this story Grapthor & I would very much like to be part of it. Cheers!
May 6, 2016 1:55 pm
I'm going to bow out too. I'm in many other games now. It was fun to give the system a whirl. It's maybe one of my favorites now.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.