1.2 Descent to the Sewers

load previous
Oct 14, 2015 5:12 am
Weylan admires Seneia's grace, and considers dropping after her. But then he imagines landing on top of her head, or even worse, knocking Elden or Alanya off of the ladder on the way down, and he thinks better of the idea. Instead, he grimly grips the edge of the hole and backs down the ladder, going hand over hand down the rungs like a normal teen afraid of embarrassing himself in front of his peers. His hands are sweaty with anxiety at the thought of looking foolish to them...
Last edited October 14, 2015 5:13 am

Rolls

Athletics (STR mod) - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 14, 2015 6:27 am
Rufio swings himself onto the ladder and clambers down.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Oct 14, 2015 9:45 pm
Feylinde stands by a moment to take as much fresh air as she could, before entering the stinky place, moving carefully every step down the ladder.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Oct 14, 2015 10:11 pm
Following the others Szent secures his equipment before making his way down the ladder. "I hate sewers."

Rolls

Athletics [+5] - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Oct 15, 2015 3:47 am
The orphans are somewhat relieved that there is a ladder, that will certainly help make the descent easier. First to volunteer is Alanya, and the bard is thinking this is easy, when suddenly her foot slips on a mossy rung, but she just manages to balance her weight before falling, but then her other foot slips and then the jog releases her hands... Elden has no such trouble, and grips the rungs tightly, descending easily. Overly confident, Seneia leaps into the hole, a foolish action to some who can't see the bottom of the hole, and uncertain of how far it descends. But Seneia can see the hole is only 29' deep, and she lands like an expert gymnast. Her controlled descent overtakes Alanya's clumsy tangle with the ladder. However, Weylan must have been distracted by Seneia's crazy leap of faith, and as he reaches for a rung he misses it completely, grasping thin air. The lack of support twists his body, and a foot slips too. Suddenly he finds himself falling...

Rufio, Feylinde, Szent and Samej are descending too, but can do nothing to help poor Weylan.

(Weylan and Alanya roll acrobatics to avoid landing awkwardly. Seneia and Elden can roll athletics to try to slow their fall. Seneia can only assist Alanya, Elden can only assist Weylan. That' s right, DC 5)

Rolls

Acrobatics roll for Samej - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Oct 15, 2015 4:32 am
Seeing Weylan's fall Elden tries desperately to catch him.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 15, 2015 4:38 am
"Whoops! Aaah!" I flail my arms and attempt to get my feet under me as I slip off the ladder.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Oct 15, 2015 6:05 am
"Steady now", Seneia exclaims as she reaches to make sure Alanya lands safely. "There you go."

OOC: That should be 1d20+0, not 1d20+4. Thank you, browser auto-fill.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:06 am

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Oct 15, 2015 7:34 am
*Oh no!*
Weylan groans as he plummets, mortified that he's falling in front of his friends...especially the girls.

Rolls

Acrobatics to land safely - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Oct 15, 2015 12:40 pm
Well, the orphans first adventure hasn't started too well. Alanya performs an amazingly agile twist as she falls, and land safely in the arms of Seneia, who reacts quickly at the bottom of the hole, and also has the presence of mind to step aside from the imminently arriving Weylan.

Weylan's woes continue as his attempts to right himself are interfered with by Elden's desperate grab. Elden fails to hold Weylan but does manage to slow his descent. Weylan lands unceremoniously on his back, at the feet of Seneia and meets the shocked expression of Alanya who is nested safely in Seneia's arms. (Weylan takes damage below).

The location has four exits. The two largest head SW and S and are 20' wide, with. 3' walkway each side. The 14' wide channels are partially full of dark water perhaps 3' deep. The other two exits are 12' wide with just one 3' walkway and head N and E.

Rolls

Weylan fall damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Oct 15, 2015 1:47 pm
Seneia smiles to Alanya and pats her gently on the shoulder as she lets her go. Then she looks around and scratches the tip of one of her horns, as she has a habit of doing when facing choices.

"So-- do we have any idea which way from here?"
Oct 15, 2015 4:54 pm
I grab Weyland's arm and help him up. "Hmmm, we could use more light in here." I attempt to look around and figure out our next move.
Last edited October 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Oct 15, 2015 6:16 pm
Weylan is mortified that he literally fell at Alanya's feet...physical damage can heal, but shame damage lasts forever. He is absurdly grateful that she would deign to help him up and he stutters with awkwardness...
"I...Uh...Ala...uh...th-thank you!"
He thinks that he'll never wash his hand again...and then realizes he's in the sewer and knows it's not true. But the memory of the musician's touch...! That will keep him warm in dark days to come.

(OOC question: did the ladder come down into the channel, or on one of the walkways?)

Weylan also tries to peer around, to see if there are any signs of passage, or any other clues as to which way they should go. If he sees none, he'll randomly choose a direction and head that way (the roll says South). Action is his way of covering embarrassment. Of course, if he sees a clue he'll stop and point it out to the others instead.
Last edited October 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Rolls

Perception (WIS + proficiency) - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Choosing a random direction (SW, S, N, E) - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Oct 15, 2015 9:34 pm
"Disgusting!" says Feylinde looking at the dark water and covering her nose with an hand.
"We should check those walkways guys. I doubt anyone in his mind would swim its way through that."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 15, 2015 9:51 pm
Hearing Alanya mention the need for light Szent will take a torch from his pack and light it up. He'll then move to the entrance of the east tunnel and take a look.

Rolls

Perception [+1] - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Oct 16, 2015 2:37 am
The area the party is in is the convergence of four passages. To accommodate the intersection it is a 30' diameter circle. On the perimeter of the circle is 5' wide walkway. Each channel joins at this location, so to walk around the perimeter would require jumping or wading the channels. The ladder descends to the SE "corner" of the circle. From here you can head south or east without jumping a channel.

The place is a bit whiffy but not overwhelmingly so. It is dark, so those without dark vision will need a light source. Szent lights his torch and lo, there was light. He peers down the east passage with the aid of his torch. This is a minor passage way, and his uncannily astute perception (nice roll) notices that the walkways here are grimy and slimed with heaven only knows what it is. Despite really not wanting to go that way, he realizes in a flash of inspiration (yes, please take an inspiration point) that this direction really cannot have been travelled anytime recently. Alanya is temporarily dazzled by the suddenly light, and she fails to notice anything as she peers around (she's on a lucky roll!!). Weylan fixates on the southern passage, and points in that direction. Without offering any reason, he points and says, "I think we should go this way." Seneia isn't sure which way to go. Feylinde is not impressed and covers her nose, an action that apparently blocked her eyes too.

You may roll survival to find a lead, perception at higher difficulty, or accept Weylan's leadership and head south.
Oct 16, 2015 2:44 am
"Ok, maybe a little less light next time!" I blink as my eyes adjust to the sudden brightness. "That way? Are you sure?" I skeptically look towards the southern passage as I try to find any other passage that may have recently been traversed.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Oct 16, 2015 2:54 am
Elden will pull out his mace and cast a spell of Light on it, "That's better!" He waits for his eyes to adjust to the light and takes a quick look around for anything of interest or any clues as tof what way the Slave Traders must have gone when they took Milly.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Oct 16, 2015 3:02 am
"It doesn't appear that anyone has traveled in this direction in quite some time." Szent motions back towards the eastern tunnel as he rejoins the others. "Are you sure the southern tunnel is the right way to go Weylan? I don't want to be in the sewers any longer than necessary."

*There has to be a clue around here.*

Rolls

Survival [+1] - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Oct 16, 2015 4:22 am
Weylan nods, relieved.
"Well, if they didn't go that way, they either went south, or went wading." He pauses for a moment to let that sink in. "I think south makes more sense."

While the group considers, he pulls out another torch and uses Szent's to light it. Then, with the lit torch in one hand, Weylan holds one of his "spikers" (a javelin) in the other hand, ready to go.
Last edited October 16, 2015 7:33 am

Rolls

Survival (WIS + proficiency) - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

load next

Thread locked