Chapter 1: Departure (Day 2)

Mar 21, 2019 6:55 pm
OOC:
For events occurring the morning after the meeting and the rest of the ensuing day.
Mar 21, 2019 7:38 pm
Krav shows up at the South Gate the following morning and is the first arrive.
Ephwrath arrives shortly after and unintentionally tempts Shiloh with some food from his beard. Krav decides to trust Ephwrath if Shiloh does. They share a heartwarming moment discussing the potential discovery of new flora on their upcoming adventure.
Elora arrives and begins to write something in a book, but stops and pulls out another book and reads instead.
OOC:
Just summarizing what I knew of for the sake of organization. See the Day 1 thread for details.
Mar 22, 2019 1:41 am
Yelnar arrives, dragging behind him a small sled that seems to be carrying enough weapons for the entire party.

He nods to the others, and sets about fussing around the sled, making sure everything is securely fastened.
Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm
OOC:
Moving Krav and Ephwrath's discussion to here.
AugustAsh says:
Ephwrath offers Shiloh the last crumb of cheese, and gently strokes the top of his head with a thick stubby finger. "I'd like that very much. Very much indeed!", he says, looking up at Krav. "I hope to also collect insects and various mineral samples to study the affects of the outside world on them. I look forward to discussing our observations and comparing notes."
"Heh, somehow I don't think you'll have a problem collecting insects. Although if you do, I ask that you please be respectful. All life is valuable no matter how small, and insects are sentient regardless of what many people believe. I have even gotten close to communicating with them before.

They may seem almost invisible to us, and the ones who aren't can be an annoyance at times, but without them nearly all life would cease to exist. Even if you ignore their contribution to pollination, insects are food for almost all fish, birds, and even a large portion of mammals! On the other hand, all humanoid life could be eradicated tomorrow and the world would barely notice!"

Krav and Shiloh meet each other's gaze, and Krav stops speaking suddenly. He realizes he is nearly ranting, and his voice was gradually becoming louder and louder. Shiloh returns his attention to his cheese, and Krav takes a moment to breathe.
Last edited March 22, 2019 2:22 pm
Mar 23, 2019 12:14 am
"Ah, yes! As a trained healer, it is always my priority to preserve life." Ephwrath leans in close to Krav and whispers. "I've devised a method for sending specimens back to the college from outside the wards." He pats the satchel on his back and winks.
Mar 23, 2019 12:47 am
chunky04 says:
Yelnar arrives, dragging behind him a small sled that seems to be carrying enough weapons for the entire party.

He nods to the others, and sets about fussing around the sled, making sure everything is securely fastened.
Elora can't help but notice this borderline comical display, and decides to approach him. "Are you, ah, bringing all of this?" She asks, somewhat at a loss of where the conversation will go.
Mar 24, 2019 6:39 am
Yelnar says "Yes, did you have anything specific you use?"
Mar 24, 2019 6:04 pm
After a long conversation with Krav about the various herbs and insects they hope to someday find outside the wards, Ephwrath’s eyelids become heavy. His head lolls to the side, coming to a rest on Krav’s shoulder. He snores softly.
Mar 24, 2019 10:58 pm
chunky04 says:
Yelnar says "Yes, did you have anything specific you use?"
"Oh. Well I already...got something." She pulls out her rapier for Yelnar to inspect, it is simply made without any regal flair, but elegant in it's simplicity. "I'm not too fond of the bigger weapons. But how about...this?" It would be a shame if someone had to drag all these back to the shop, and not wanting Yelnar's efforts go to waste she slowly sorts through the collection, pulling out a dagger and light crossbow.
Mar 25, 2019 12:10 am
Ember arrives well before the second bell, but is intrigued by what she sees. The short nerdy one sleeping on Krav's shoulder, and the shy one getting weapons from Yelnar.

Her confidence wavers momentarily. All of her earthly possessions are attached to her person somehow, giving her the appearance of a pack mule, or a working dog, or...

...or the team pet.

Her left eye twitches, but she smiles warmly.

Good afternoon, everyone! How are we all today?
Mar 25, 2019 2:03 am
Yelnar points out another Rapier on the sled. "Excellent, there is a spare for you should something happen to yours"

Seeing Ember arrive, he offers to help put some of her gear on the sled.

"You can add some of that to this Ember, it's got a fair bit more room before I'd become unable to drag it. Also, have a look at these."
Yelnar has a Light Crossbow and a Light Mace readily accessible, which he hands to Ember.
Mar 25, 2019 11:50 am
Her face lights up.

Oh. Wow. I was so focused on tricky knick knacks that I didn't even think of grabbing one of these!

She stores her bedroll, rope, and lantern on the cart, uneasy about letting go of the rest. She'll leave the crossbow, too, for now, though she quickly latches the mace to where her lantern used to hang. She should still have enough latches to pack mule herself again under duress, but she's grateful for the stronger group members. She gestures to her walking stick and smirks.

See, after I "borrowed" Tace's crossbow, he said I could only have this. You'll have to show me how to use the mace, though. Thanks, big guy!
Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm
Viani arrives a while before the second bell. She's wearing well-made clothing made from inexpensive fabric and light leather armor. She's carrying a long ranseur on her back and she has a number of small bags hanging from her sides and shoulders all stuffed full with things she bought for the expedition. She walks up to the rest of the group and calls out: "Good day, everyone! Ready to go on an adventure?"
The cheer in her voice is almost convincing but when she gets closer, you can see that her eyes are red from crying.
Mar 25, 2019 4:10 pm
Don't get close to her....

But you know why she's upset!

Yeah. And you don't get it. You're just some street rat who -

She hugs Viani to make her mental dialogue shut up, hoping it helps the woman, too. She smiles, showing concern but excitement.

Glad to see you! I think we're almost ready!
Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm
When Ember hugs her, she feel Viani tense up for a second. Viani then hugs her back. She is shaking lightly and doesn't let go for a few long seconds. Finally, she pulls back and puts on a wide smile. "Good! Because I can't wait to finally get out of this boring city!"
Mar 25, 2019 7:17 pm

As your group begins to gather in the square near the gate, you notice that there's surprisingly little traffic in the area for this time of day. The curious among you notice that there is a more significant contingent of the Shining Guard keeping watch over the square than you would expect. Not exactly turning people away, but from the streets leading toward the square, you can see people taking notice of the guards and deciding that other districts of the city might be a better place to be.

Which just makes it easier to notice when others do arrive, especially when they look armed to the teeth and similarly prepared for a journey as you do. Three individuals come into the square: a short, wide, heavily muscled human with a plain longsword belted at his waist and a shield strapped to his back; a gnome reading from a small, leatherbound book, possibly a journal of some sort; and a blond dwarven woman in traveling clothes, a belt of vials and bulging pouches about her waist.

The human male wears a confident -- some might say cocky -- smile on his craggy face, looking around the square casually as though lacking a care in the world. His companions seem to pay him little mind: the gnome is spellbound by whatever he's reading, and the dwarf appears to be all business as she checks over her belongings. The human notices your group and shakes his head in amazement. He turns and approaches you. Those who have spent time in or around Granite College would know him as Kramat Narrison, a warrior that fights with sword and shield together, whose talent is matched by his opinion of his own talent. That wouldn't be a problem if he was a clumsy ox, but for a man as stoutly built and oafish as he looks, he is cat-quick and clever enough to be a decent tactician. The other two are familiar, if not well-known. The gnome is a scholar of Opal College by the name of Grank, and the dwarf an alchemist from Whitestone College known as Muoghan Stonehand.

"I wondered who else they'd be sending, but I certainly didn't expect a ragtag bunch of kids," he says loudly, laughing as though sharing some inside joke. "Hardly a warrior among the lot of you." He scans over the faces before him, his thick arms folding over his broad chest, settling a look on Yelnar and Elora in turn. "I mean, there's you two. I suppose between you both, you come out to one decent fighter."

Despite his light tone, his smirk plainly shows that he's daring any of you to take offense at his mockery.
[ +- ] Kramat Narrison
Mar 26, 2019 1:37 am
Ephwrath starts awake at the sound of Ember's greeting. He rubs his eyes, and then quickly wipes a small spot of drool from Krav's sleeve. Looking up at the man with an embarrassed smile, "My apologies...". Hopping off the bench, he stretches and then pulls out a small pocket sundial. It's nearly second bell.

Moments later, the cocky human and his companions approach. Ephwrath walks around Kramat dismissively while he mocks the group and approaches the gnome. "Master Grank. It's a pleasure to see you. I see you've been enlisted as well?"
Last edited March 26, 2019 1:43 am
Mar 26, 2019 3:55 am
The gnome slowly raises his head from his book, bulbous nose leading the way. The tiny fellow is dressed all in purple, but no single shade. Lavenders, lilacs, royal purple, all cheerfully, haphazardly arrayed across his small frame. The majesty of his choice in color is therefore... somewhat undone by his questionable fashion selections. The gnome squints up at Ephwrath and scratches at the tip of his nose. "Ephwrath? Ephwrath of Dawnstone? What in the Stones are you doing out here?"

Birdlike, he peers around the square as he considers the location, the time of day, and the others present. "Are you... leaving the wards?" This last is spoken in a sort of whisper; anyone nearby could undoubtedly hear it, but Grank's hearing is reknowned for being selectively bad, so maybe he thinks he's being quiet? He spends most of his days in the library, an Opal College scholar of a wide range of topics, most commonly studies of the interaction of magic with geology, so a bit of confusion at the out of doors and, well, other people, is to be expected.
Mar 26, 2019 5:09 am
"I am indeed! I've been asked to join this team on an expedition to see what remains beyond the wards. It's very exciting!" Ephwrath bounces excitedly on the balls of his feet. "I hope to collect many samples to send back to the college for study... I assume they've asked the same of you?"
Mar 26, 2019 5:33 am
Grank scowls further at Ephwrath. "Sun and stars, man, I haven't seen you this excited since they let you into the scholar's level of the library," he says grumpily, though the effect is ruined somewhat by his chirpy voice. "Yes, they kicked me out the door. Didn't even ask, just shoved me on out the door and out... here," he says, gesturing to the open square and all its dirt, noise, sunlight and other undesirable natural characteristics. "Not sure why I have to go. Especially with... well, him."

The gnome waves a hand toward the blustering Kramat a few paces away. "Insufferable, that one. Wants to talk all the time. Probably can't even read."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.