Chapter 1: Departure (Day 2)

load previous
Apr 2, 2019 5:43 am
"What are you talking about?", Viani interrupts the conversation. "There were no screams, only... explosions. It sounded as if the whole world was shaking!"
Apr 2, 2019 5:52 am
"I heard water...and these haunting howls." Elora chimes in despite not wanting a reminder of the bad experience.
Apr 2, 2019 6:00 am
Looking around at all of them, Verrian asks, "Wait, when did you hear these things? While we were passing through the wards?"
Apr 2, 2019 6:14 am
"I guess. It was pretty much exactly when we were leaving through them. And then it stopped once we were outside"
Apr 2, 2019 8:18 am
Yelnar turns back without stopping and says "It was my mother, there’s trouble, let’s move."
Apr 2, 2019 12:39 pm
Ember dutifully follows Yelnar. She’s concerned for the others, but still overall relaxed. She shakes her head, still speaking quietly.

I didn’t....huh. I didn’t hear any of that.
Apr 2, 2019 12:43 pm
Concerned about the extremely varied things they'd all heard - or not heard - during the passage through the wards, Verrian hurries to catch up to Yelnar.

"You heard your mother's voice? What exactly did it say?"
Apr 2, 2019 4:28 pm
Yelnar does not stop, but dragging the sled is not moving any faster than a brisk walk. "She sounded panicked, and was trying to get a number of people into the cellar. My mother does not panic, she is in trouble, and she was to be our first destination, let’s move."

If you were to look at Yelnar’s face currently, you would see a look of almost manic determination.
Apr 2, 2019 4:41 pm
"Wait, you think you could hear what was happening to her at that moment even though she was far away?" Viani speeds up to catch up to Yelnar. "If that is true, what did I hear? Where did those explosions happen?"
Apr 2, 2019 4:56 pm
Now that everybody looks at what's going down, and examines the surroundings, a few things are immediately noticeable.

It's quiet. Very quiet. There's a gentle spring breeze blowing off the lake nearby, but that is nearly the only sound from the environment. No gulls wheeling above the harbor, no sounds of the city... your voices sound absurdly loud in your own ears. Near the gate, the dwarf Muoghan and the elf Epau are tending to the sobbing Heira. The others of that group are speaking quietly with one another some distance away, but from the snippets of conversation you can pick up, it's obvious that they too heard things when traveling through the wards.

There are abandoned camps along the street to the harbor, where people trapped outside the wards once squatted, hoping to be allowed inside. The remains of tents, a crude lean-to here and there, campfires and so forth. There are even some remains of bodies: some people apparently would rather have starved and died here than return to wherever they fled.

At the harbor, a short walk downhill from here, there are a number of boats that could be taken across the lake. Low buildings, many of them fallen into disrepair, dominate the land around the harbor. This district was always a little bit lawless before the wards, the closely spaced buildings and tight alleyways together with the comings and goings of merchants and lakeboat traffic combining for activities of questionable legality. The main road down to the harbor proper, however, is wide and open. Respectable. Or at least, it used to be.
Apr 3, 2019 2:30 am
Yelnar forges on, intending to get to the harbour as directly as possible. He will call out over his shoulder "Anyone know anything about boats?"
Apr 3, 2019 6:02 am
Verrian surveys the wreckage of civilization around them. She says to the group, "Keep your eyes open as we go. It doesn't look as though anyone is still around, but that doesn't mean it's safe." She doesn't know anything about boats, so she's hoping someone else will answer in the affirmative.
Apr 3, 2019 6:22 am
"I know a lot about boats. I've taken a course on ancient seafaring history and piracy last year." She starts rattling off some facts she remembers, like where boats were first invented, some famous historical captains and boat names and she starts talking about a famous sea battle that took place a few hundred years ago. Suddenly she catches herself and stops. She frowns and adds: "But I don't know how to steer them."
Apr 3, 2019 12:36 pm
Ember let’s out a huff.

Most of us are spellcasters, and we can’t figure it out? Things are easier to move on water. Just cast Extra Hand, or whatever the rest of you academics call it, and if we veer off course, "boop" us back to the direction we need to go.

She does smile at Viani. At least the gal knows the cool stuff.
Last edited April 3, 2019 12:38 pm
Apr 3, 2019 12:53 pm
"I don't think that's a good idea. I'm sure we can figure out how to work a small boat without using magic."
She does smile at Ember, though. It feels nice to be appreciated, even if it's just for random trivia knowledge
Apr 3, 2019 4:27 pm
Krav looks around, and is disconcerted by the lack of birds in the sky.

"There is either danger nearby, or no food source here," he says plainly, as if everyone else needed no explanation as to how he came to that conclusion. "I suggest we remain on guard in case it's the former." At that, he draws his scimitar and heavy wooden shield.

Krav studies his surroundings for signs of plant or animal life that may give him some hints.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(9) + 8 = 17

Apr 3, 2019 5:22 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to kona
Apr 3, 2019 6:34 pm
Ephwrath, following Krav's lead, quickly equips his buckler and warhammer and begins to survey the surrounding area.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Apr 3, 2019 6:38 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to AugustAsh
Apr 3, 2019 6:48 pm
"It's quiet... Too quiet." Ephwrath walks to the edge of the road where something has clearly captured his attention. A dead body lies amongst the scattered remains of what looks like a recently abandoned camp. "Are those are bite marks?" He says, to no one in particular.

OOC: I'd like to check the body for cause of death, race, or any other physical evidence that's apparent to me.
Last edited April 3, 2019 6:49 pm

Rolls

Heal - (1d20+8)

(7) + 8 = 15

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.