Chapter 2: Out of the Frying Pan

Apr 17, 2019 7:25 pm
OOC:
Feel free to make any last posts in the Chapter 1 thread, but I wanted to give people something to react to while that finishes off.
The frog-people sail away, their boat moving back toward Meriava. The Shining City can still be seen across the lake, though suddenly, now that you all find yourselves truly alone for the first time, you realize how it might as well be on the moon for all intents and purposes. The sun is growing lower on the horizon, and you estimate you have a couple of hours before sunset.

Here at the docks, you're greeted by an open square. There are signs that this might once have been a town market. One of the burned out buildings has a weathered signboard barely hanging by a single hook next to the doorway. You can just make out the faded paint: The Cracked Mug. The shattered remains of a couple of tables and a few chairs sit in front of the building. Other nearby buildings' past lives are less certain without further investigation. Produce carts and other market stalls -- all apparently destroyed by something, and relatively recently by the looks of things -- are strewn about the tiny square.

You can hear the distant calls of birds, a gull screeching overhead, the whisper of a faint breeze, but no sounds of humanoid activity.
OOC:
If you choose to do any looking around, please tell me where you're looking and make a perception roll.
Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm
Yelnar urges his companions to haste, wanting to get to the estates as soon as possible. Being somewhat familiar with the city, he would like to scout in that direction.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm
"I agree that we want to get to your estate as soon as we can, Yelnar," Verrian says, "but let's try to make sure we don't do anything in haste. We ran into undead monsters almost as soon as we left Meriava. Let's make sure that we properly scout as we move so we don't get taken by surprise. Perhaps we could have people pair up and look around the immediate area before we start moving?"
Apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm
Ephwrath spends a few minutes rooting around in the mud near the end of the dock, looking for any interesting plant or insect specimens.

After hearing Verrian's suggestion, he nods in agreement and walks up to her as if her comment was an invitation for him to pair up with her. "Shall we?" he says with a smile.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Apr 17, 2019 9:42 pm
Ember can see the look of vague deja-vu on Yelnar's face. Though she doesn't know the area, she wants to try to help, and scans the area for anything weird. Well, anything too weird.

Rolls

Perception +0 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Apr 17, 2019 9:53 pm
AugustAsh says:
Ephwrath spends a few minutes rooting around in the mud near the end of the dock, looking for any interesting plant or insect specimens.

After hearing Verrian's suggestion, he nods in agreement and walks up to her as if her comment was an invitation for him to pair up with her. "Shall we?" he says with a smile.
"I'd be delighted," Verrian says, smiling.

The two of them start looking at the apparently recent destruction for clues to what caused it.
Last edited April 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Rolls

For the love of god, perceive something already - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Apr 17, 2019 10:32 pm
Ephwrath follows Varrian into the town square and begins scanning the area for signs of magic.
OOC:
Casting Detect Magic
Apr 17, 2019 10:37 pm
78RPMLife sent a note to Moonbeam
78RPMLife sent a note to AugustAsh
Apr 17, 2019 10:50 pm
"Ephwrath," Verrian says, showing him the ring she's found - a large iron one sized for a man's finger that includes an equilateral triangle scratched into it. "Does this symbol mean anything to you?"
OOC:
Is the symbol crudely scratched into the ring, or does it seem to have been professionally engraved?
Apr 17, 2019 10:51 pm
OOC:
Somewhere in between. Someone took the time to try and do it well, but didn't have the right tool or right expertise. It's highly unlikely anyone in the party would recognize the symbol.
Apr 17, 2019 10:55 pm
Ephwrath scans the entire area and shakes his head, as if clearing his ears of water. "The magic auras are still very strong here... but far less than back on the island." He points toward the Shining City. "It appears as thought the magic is emanating from the island, or possibly the city itself... This is very strange. Very strange indeed!"
Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm
Verrian is surprised. She turns to look back at the island, and what they can see of the city. "A byproduct of the wards, maybe?"
Apr 17, 2019 11:02 pm
Ephwrath picks up a cracked clay pot laying nearby and examines it. Sniffing at the opening, he grunts and holds it up to Varrian. "It smells like alcohol..."
Apr 17, 2019 11:04 pm
Yelnar hears Verrian, and you can almost see the gears grinding in his head as he thinks it through. "You might be right, and the town would be an excellent spot for an ambush - maybe skirt the town?"
Apr 17, 2019 11:07 pm
AugustAsh says:
Ephwrath picks up a cracked clay pot laying nearby and examines it. Sniffing at the opening, he grunts and holds it up to Varrian. "It smells like alcohol..."
"Yes. I'd say whoever did all this damage was probably indulging in any remaining alcohol they could find. Hence, the frogs' description of 'friends who smelled like grains that have gone sour.'"
chunky04 says:
Yelnar hears Verrian, and you can almost see the gears grinding in his head as he thinks it through. "You might be right, and the town would be an excellent spot for an ambush - maybe skirt the town?"
"Probably a good idea. Let's just see what other useful information we can find as we go around it. I think this is a whole new world out here. Best if we can get our bearings quickly."
Last edited April 17, 2019 11:09 pm
Apr 17, 2019 11:12 pm
Ephwrath grunts in agreement to Varrian, shifting his attention to the ring she's holding. "Hmph! I've never seen this symbol before. Maybe Yelnar knows what it means." He shrugs.
Apr 17, 2019 11:53 pm
Ember is unimpressed by what she's finding. Not finding. She clicks her tongue and whispers, sending the message all the way to Viani.

Hey. Heeeeeey. I'm sorry for yelling at you. Do you want help looking around?
OOC:
Casting "Message"
Apr 17, 2019 11:59 pm
Pap. Pap. Pap.

You hear the sound before you can catch sight of its source.
PAP. PAP. PAP.

The sound grows louder and louder until crashing through a pile of rubble, a short humanoid figure comes rolling into the midst of the group.

You recognize him immediately as a member of the frog men, as he picks himself up, rolls his tongue back into his mouth and stares at the trash he just collided with. He stands at the same height as the others, and is equally naked, save for a lilypad hat, a net hanging from his back, a small reed tube on his hip, and a harpoon in his hands.

"Thats not supposed to be there.." he says, before looking up and seeing the group of people staring at him.

"Oh! Greetings, tall folk. Perhaps you can help me out of a predicament?" he says.

In the distance, not far in the direction that the frog just came from, you can hear the sounds of a group of angry, drunken men.
Apr 18, 2019 1:14 am
Verrian moves swiftly to the new frog man's side. "Tell me about this predicament." She looks up as the sounds of drunken men grow louder. "Quickly."
Apr 18, 2019 1:28 am
"Well," Froak croaks,"Ive been out here scouting for the tribe. Been here many moons. And i was supposed to be watchibg the herons, on account of im so sneaky, but i heard some rough sounding friends over by the big tree with the blue flowers, and so i followed them, and i was following them for two more moons.."
He pauses to catch his breath, his croaker expanding with an accidental "Ribbit" as he does, "and they turned out to be pretty fun looking guys. They sure likes to drink whatevers in those jugs, but after a while of drinking it theyd laugh and dance and shoot sharpsticks at a door, with their other stringsticks. So I thought maybe i could meet these new friends. I was super sneaky, and i came up to theyre camp, and then one of them saw me and musta got scared because my sharpstick is bigger than the little ones they shoot, and then they grabbed some flatter sharp things that were sort of shiny and sort of brown, and started chasing me. I stole one of theyre shiny-sharp-and-browns to study, and they seemed really mad about that too!" he holds up a small knife that he had hidden under his lilypad hat, pointing to the edge and then the rust on the blade, demonstrating why it is called a "sharp-and-brown".

"you look a lot like those angry jug-lovers. Are you friends of them? If so id like very much not to be hurt by your sharps or your smackers."
Last edited April 18, 2019 1:40 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.