General OoC discussion

load previous
Nov 16, 2015 3:44 am
CouchLord0510 says:
OK, my modifier for DEX is 2; I have proficiency in stealth, does that make any difference? But yes, I think I'll keep the heavier armor as opposed to the studded leather
It doesn't eliminate the disadvantage, no, but it means that you won't be losing any DEX bonus to AC (as your bonus is +2), and your proficiency bonus (+2 now, more at higher levels) is added to your DEX bonus when doing stealth checks. So, attempting to be stealthy, Durren would roll 1d20+4 twice, and take the lower result.

As you can see from the example, you can still be stealthy with disadvantage. Target numbers are often secret, but for tasks you're likely to engage in at first level they're usually 15 or less.

Rolls

Stealth with DISADV - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

Nov 16, 2015 4:35 am
CancerMan says:
This is, thankfully, the one time I can actually wait. I have to decide whether I'll check on Xana or rush upstairs with the barbarian (which might be suicide since I'm down to 4 HP).
Aanbo has been hit for 3 before that, so it's a total of 10. He should be at 1 HP: even more reason to wait!
(edit: that was wrong. My memory played tricks on me.)

Sorry about that wait, folks! I realized this morning that I only had a sketch of the remaining floors, and I want to post a map as Ogbar runs up there. I'll have it for tomorrow, or possibly later tonight.
Nov 16, 2015 4:45 am
I'm eagerly anticipating the results of Ogbar's attack :)
Nov 16, 2015 5:05 am
Ah, my bad. I thought that first attack was a miss!
Nov 16, 2015 7:56 am
CancerMan says:
Ah, my bad. I thought that first attack was a miss!
No, MY bad. What was I thinking? You're right - and my original post in the game was right - he did miss with that first attack. Ugh. Very sorry about that!

Aanbo is, as you calculated, at 4 HP.
Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm
Yay! I'm still alive! Assuming that we're following the PHB guidelines of always rounding down?

Edit: I should still be up even if we round up! I'm so gonna die here in this mill, but Ogbar doesn't surrender!
Last edited November 16, 2015 5:57 pm
Nov 16, 2015 8:10 pm
Was Thunderwave my Round 4 action? I thought it was my Round 3.

Round 1: Dash
Round 2: Frotbite
Round 3: Thunderwave

Or did I miss Round 3 because of readying?
Nov 16, 2015 9:42 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
(at this point, covered in blood, I'd use CON, just because he's inspires dread by taking more damage than a human should and has kept going)
Then, if we wanna use the same roll, it would be 21, based on Con modifier
Last edited November 16, 2015 9:42 pm
Nov 16, 2015 10:29 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

No, you're forgetting that you used your cantrip twice.

Round one: Dash

Round two: Frostbite

Round three: Frostbite again (and Shield)

Round four: Readied action: thunderwave
Nov 16, 2015 10:35 pm
Naatkinson says:
spaceseeker19 says:
(at this point, covered in blood, I'd use CON, just because he's inspires dread by taking more damage than a human should and has kept going)
Then, if we wanna use the same roll, it would be 21, based on Con modifier
Right. I generally allow comic-book-like speech logic: you can speak a fair amount on your turn, independent of your official actions. Sometimes I will ask for a conversation-based check to take an action, but in this case, I think Ogbar is not looking for an immediate response so much as the archer not making an attack action on his turn in initiative. Ogbar is also being assisted in this by Sara's shot and Durren's fresh appearance (for all the archer knows, he's come through all the fighting completely unscathed, which either means he's that good, or that Ogbar has done all fo the fighting. Either way, that's potentially terrifying).
Nov 16, 2015 11:00 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

No, you're forgetting that you used your cantrip twice.

Round one: Dash

Round two: Frostbite

Round three: Frostbite again (and Shield)

Round four: Readied action: thunderwave
Oh right! Duh!
Nov 18, 2015 2:37 am
How wide is this staircase? Would it be possible for Thacogygax to breathe lightning past Klak (or Klak & Ogbar)?
Nov 18, 2015 2:54 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
How wide is this staircase? Would it be possible for Thacogygax to breathe lightning past Klak (or Klak & Ogbar)?
Is it wide enough to swing a longsword unhindered?
Nov 18, 2015 5:14 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Lightning is, officially, a 5' wide beam. The stairs are narrow enough to only allow one person at a time (unless that person is S size, in which case they have that Nimble ability to walk through others' space). This means that, mechanically, rules-as-written, you could not do this past Ogbar and Klak. But you could move alongsize them, ending in front of them, and breathe lightning on these yahoos. But they're actually in pretty bad trouble already, it seems.
Nov 18, 2015 5:18 am
CouchLord0510 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Is it wide enough to swing a longsword unhindered?
Yes. But at the moment, Ogbar and Klak are in the way. You can squeeze past them as an ally to get in front, at which point you'd be able to swing your sword no problem.

But so far, no one in the larger group has said anything about Dungeon Busters, and Durren hasn't either, so they have no sense of common cause, despite Durren's efforts at peace-keeping so far. So they might not treat you as an ally.

If you want to roll that check on Sara this turn (turn five) rather than take a different action, you might recognize her as being from Dungeon Busters, which might then become a topic of conversation...
Nov 18, 2015 7:10 am
I don't know if you guys saw it before I got the chance to delete it, but I posted out of turn by mistake. Was just drafting a move for next round and clicked "Post" by mistake :-) It's gone now.
Nov 21, 2015 2:49 pm
Candi says:
"We have a half-dragon." I shout, matter-of-factly, as the human pushes open the trap door.[/b]
Hahaha that cracked me up! :-D
Nov 21, 2015 3:00 pm
I think she actually intimidated the wrong person. My character doesn't know this, but my guess is that the girl, Shalla or whatever her name was, was the one who said that. xD
Nov 21, 2015 4:29 pm
Role-playing!
Nov 23, 2015 7:18 am
We are currently still proceeding in initiative order, yes?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.