IC: Chapter I - Planet Gamorr, National Archive

May 5, 2019 8:26 pm
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/bc/Citadel.png/revision/latest?cb=20121225202512
Date, GRS 16:5:15
Location, Planet Gamorr - "Her Lady's Most Glorious National Gamorrean Archive"

After having spent nearly a week now in Jugsmuk Station - sitting in some sort of diplomatic limbo, it is perhaps a relief to be out in Gamorr-proper.

Master Daru had certainly kept you all busy with readings, meditations, and military lectures, but one can only take so much - especially being limited to the Holding Areas of the spaceport as you all had been... That said, the literal looming shadow of the towering planetary defense cannon - visible outside the Archive window - lessens that relief considerably.

You are all sitting in a communications room, in Her Lady's Most Glorious National Archive. The Archive is an institution of learning and governmental administration for the Gamorreans, and it sits adjacent to the Citadel which is the Gamorrean capital building and seat of power, politically and militarily (as the two are basically one here).

For now, it is just Master Daru, her two Jedi Knight "guards" - though in your experience they're really just there to serve as baby-sitters over you all - and the five of you.

You know that your reasons for being here are two-fold:

Ostensibly, you are all here for an "academic" visit/study of Carnuss Gorgull - an ancient temple-fortress that was the seat of power for certain historic Gamorrean Warlords. But this was truly just a flimsy premise the Jedi were using to get their foot in the door for diplomatic talks. And it appears to have worked...

With the exception of a handful of mercenary Tribes, the Gamorreans had remained more or less neutral in the Republic's conflicts with the Separatists. The Jedi hoped to change that. And that was the true purpose of your presence on Gamorr: to muster Gamorrean opposition of the Separatists. Or at the very least, to solidify genuine neutrality.

You all came to the Archive today, on invite from the Matriarch herself, to finalize terms of access to the temple-fortress, and for an introduction of your contingent to the Gamorrean historians who care for Carnuss.

But now Master Daru sits, listening intently to a private comm-relay, with a growing look of concern darkening her face.
OOC:
Can you all please just give a little visual description of your PCs, what you wear, what you carry, etc. and a little rp/emoting/dialogue to add to the color of this beginning scene? Give us a feel for your PC.

Also, please take this opportunity to ask any OOC questions as well. I'm sure the larger picture here is a lot clearer in my head than y'all's.

We'll take off from there!
May 7, 2019 12:25 am
[ +- ] Cas'sarin at a glance.
Cas'sarin stands rigidly nearby Master Daru, acutely observing the twi'lek and every facial expression she makes. Every flinch of the mouth. Every lift of the brow. Even the shift of her eyes. She's waiting politely for the relay to end before unleashing questions that quickly build in her young mind. In some respect to her peers, it looks almost like she's mimicking Master Daru's expressions!
Last edited May 7, 2019 12:26 am
May 7, 2019 1:55 am
[ +- ] Spoiler
Stand up straight! Raze Gargola reminds himself, stretching to his full 1.8 meters--3 if you count his tendrils. He tries not to stare at Master Daru by channeling the lessons he learned working for Senator Seamax. As terrible as that gig turned out to be, it at least taught the Mikkian good posture, where to put his hands, how to listen without making it obvious you're listening. Still, the yellow-skinned near-Human's teal eyes can't help but wander to the others. Such a weird bunch of misfits. Not quite Jedi, but not "civilians," either. Raze purses his blue lips a moment as his tendrils writhe atop his head. With his black, leather jacket, black trousers, and black boots, he feels out of place among the Jedi diplomats and Gamorrean warriors.

He notices Cas'sarin's muttering something to herself. "Prepping for the negotiations already, Cass?" he whispers, his youthful features turned up in a grin. "Wait till we get into the room at least!"
Last edited May 7, 2019 7:44 pm
May 7, 2019 2:50 am
[ +- ] Expand Image
Unlike many that joined in on this "project", Zak was considerably older. Gun metal overalls covered a fair amount of his body, his head sporting short raven colored hair combed back revealing the beginnings of grey near his temples. He stood straight, his hands locked behind his back in the only manner of attention he could think to muster. His steel blue eyes fixed straight ahead though occasionally wandering to observe the surrounding architecture before catching himself and snapping back into his static position. Zak was not used to formal meetings. Machines never judged you by how you held a fork or what animal's hide you wore in which way. He preferred utility over style anyway. Still, this was part of the job, and being noticeably older made him stand out, so he needed to be on his best behavior. One mistake could have him seem incompetent among his peers.
OOC:
I am wondering about the appearance of Master Daru. I don't know how old she is or what she looks like.
Last edited May 7, 2019 3:32 am
May 7, 2019 3:06 am
[ +- ] J'errel at a glance
Usually I'm the youngest on the team, this is odd. He walks to the back of the room, and after leaning his back against the wall slides down to an almost crouching position, looking about at the rest of his team, and then just about the room hoping for anything to focus his interest on. So what exactly are we doing here? Yeah I know diplomacy, but why this team? he looks at Master Daru but also occasionally eying team mates hoping they have answers he doesn't.
Last edited May 7, 2019 3:20 am
May 7, 2019 7:11 am
[ +- ] Juno at a glance
After the first few days of waiting, Juno became impatient and started to strip his gear, clean it and putting it back together. When he started on his arm, Master Daru, instructed him to do it just using the force. It was a good but taxing challenge, and there were lots of curses when items were dropped or screws missed there mark for the fourth time.

Now they are getting closer to action he is excited. A girl, another young man, an alien and an OLD man is the core of his and Master Daru's team. He was standing at a window, with his eyes closed. He was trying to get a sense of his teammates through the force. Knowing there "sent" was properly going to be useful at some point.

He knew that this mission was right now in the diplomacy phase, and he knew his best course in those waters: Shut up and be alert. He wants to do Master Daru proud, he wants to prove that she chose right in him. He does not see or want to see, that he perhaps has a crush on her.
Last edited May 7, 2019 8:20 am
May 7, 2019 7:52 am
"Cas'sarin," she corrects in a whisper. Again. It's not the first time she's rejected the shortening of her name in the last two months, and while it's been a futile endeavor, she still persists.

Still, just that small prompt breaks whatever trance she'd placed herself into. She was already standing straight, but somehow, she makes herself stand straighter when pivoting to face her peers. Had she really been that obvious? She responds to J'errel while keeping her voice respectfully down, so that the others will need to lean into her if they want to hear her adequately state with gloomy disposition, "It's because we're expendable." She waits a second to clarify further, "And because by virtue of being here, we are essentially colonizing and expanding our reach."
May 7, 2019 8:28 am
Still looking out the window, Juno whispers "Girls, be quiet. Trouble will find you soon enough". Even though he is trying to be stoic, he jokingly mimics Master Daru's voice and way of speaking. He can't hide the smile on his face.
Last edited May 7, 2019 8:40 am
May 7, 2019 4:59 pm
Man everyone is one edge, standing up J'errel starts stretching his back and arms. Alright fine, but I would rather go ahead and find the trouble before trouble finds me. He walks up to join Juno next to the window. Definitely different than Mandalore and Courscant. he says under his breath looking about the landscape outside.
OOC:
The italics won't work for some reason, so inside the (i)s are my thoughts sorry guys.
Last edited May 7, 2019 5:39 pm
May 7, 2019 5:30 pm
JackJack says:
OOC:
The italics won't work for some reason, so inside the (i)s are my thoughts sorry guys.
OOC:
It's your autocorrect, capitalizing the i's. The forums software will only acknowledge the code if it's lowercase.
Raze chuckles and nods toward their master. "Looks like Master Daru may have already found some trouble for us..."
May 7, 2019 5:40 pm
JackJack sent a note to SavageBob
May 7, 2019 10:49 pm
OOC:
Good stuff, all. Thanks for pushing the intro!

As for the master, let me draw your attention to the IC Resource Thread, if you haven't noticed it yet...
In your few months under her... command? tutelage? watch? (it's rather hard to classify exactly what the structure is here, as it is multi-lateral and variable) ... you have found Jedi Master Eleena Daru to be hard, focused, and fair. At times you think you might have glimpsed a less rigid girl beneath, but you can tell the realities of war have made her into someone new, perhaps even to herself. You'd guess she is in her mid to late-twenties, possibly older. And you can't think of any time you've seen her outside of her armored Jedi robes, with her guard-hilt shoto lightsaber and blaster pistol on her belt.

As her conversation goes on, too low to follow, her eyes flick occasional glances at Cas that belie a mild annoyance. Her eyes smolder with the same annoyance at J'errel's veiled complaint.

Soldiers of this lot? How can they expect me to forge a razor's edge out of stone!

Master Daru spits out a few final words of Huttese into the comm, still unintelligible. Then she pops the "pommel" of her comm on the table before her, simultaneously switching it off, and also making a sharp, metallic CRACK!! like a gavel's wrap, to draw everyone's attention.

"IF you believe you are expendable, Ms. Cas'sarin, then I suggest you do your vaping-best to prove the facts to be otherwise...", she snaps.

With barely a hesitation she continues, "Now! There has been a development.

Not trouble, really, but an opportunity as I see it...

It sounds as though significant portions of the gamorrean public has taken exception to our presence here in the Archive. There are several crowds gathering and protesting the Republic, and Gamorr's involvement with it, right now it seems at various points around this building and the Citadel.

I have offered the Mother Supreme our aid in the matter... particularly, I've offered to dispatch personnel to the freight-bay rotunda area, as that is between here and our ship... You all remember. Where we entered from?

The Archive Guard has been notified, they'll be expecting you. They are first tasked with protecting this building and the lives inside it... you all are to go down there, and aid them in this endeavor, if it comes to that. But there has been no violence yet. Under no circumstances though are you to kill a gamorrean - the repercussions would simply be out of my hands. I know that sounds to be an eminently precarious position I'm placing you in, but that's what I need of you. Because while they are not necessarily a simple species, they will respect and appreciate us standing by them as allies like this with no formal obligation to do so, even if their public does not. And we are wooing the Mother Supreme, for now, not her people.

If there is something you can do to defray the situation, do it - some of you must speak Huttese, if not gamorrean, yes? Many of their species understand some Galactic Basic these days, but it's not their strong suit... Remember, we are ostensibly here as academics. Lean on that. Otherwise, aid Her Guard. ... And stay safe yourselves.

If things escalate too far, retreat. I'd urge you not to do so before the gamorreans, it would be shameful in their eyes. But we must make the effort, and we don't want anyone killed over this.
"

Her eyes are hard and her jaw set, she looks across you all expectantly.
May 8, 2019 12:48 am
Raze nods, sending a shudder through his tendrils. "Go meet up with the guards and help 'em keep the place safe. Sounds easy enough."
May 8, 2019 1:19 am
"I'm not sure how useful my skillset will be in deterring violence, but I will see what I can manage in assisting the others." He turns away from the group and heads toward the freight bay.

"Sending a mechanic, a jedi wannabe, and a few fight club rejects to do a diplomat's job, just great. I see no flaw in this plan. If the others can manage to not fight among themselves, maybe they can at least put up some resistance when this comes down around us." he thinks to himself as he draws his light blaster pistol, Philosophy, and sets it to stun before holstering it again.
Last edited May 8, 2019 3:02 am
May 8, 2019 8:23 am
Juno taps on his datapad
"ostensibly"... "ostensibly"... Ah! There it is "on the face of it", "superficially", "to all intents and purposes".
Keep calm, keep the peace, keep blasters on stun. Got it

Juno digs down in some of his wilderness survival gear.
Raze, take this rain poncho, try and look like an academic and not as a soldier
OOC:
Englich is not my first languages, so I had to look "ostensibly" up. I'm European and therefore in a different timezone as well
Last edited May 8, 2019 8:23 am
May 8, 2019 1:16 pm
Raze almost starts off after Zak but stops to grab Juno's poncho. "You think I should wear this old thing? These are Gamorreans, Juno. They like soldiers." The Mikkian sighs and pulls the poncho over his head. "Fine. Just call me Professor Gargola."

He turns to Master Daru. "Master, why are the people here so anti-Republic?"
Last edited May 9, 2019 1:34 am
May 8, 2019 5:22 pm
The times where Cas'sarin willingly backs down to show deference are few and far between, but Master Daru's withering look commands that respect effortlessly. "I misspoke. But I am thankful for any opportunity to prove your faith in us." After Raze asks his question, she asks eagerly, "Was I correct in assuming it's fear of jedi-sponsored colonialism?"
Last edited May 8, 2019 5:24 pm
May 8, 2019 6:21 pm
Master Daru nods to Raze's question, "The Gamorreans are very tribal, they never developed space travel on their own, they were discovered by the galactic community, and there has always been a sizable portion of their people that have always viewed themselves as having been violated by that greater Galactic-community. Bringing rapid change and knowledge that they really weren't prepared for, from a civilizational-development standpoint.

They have only been a "galactic citizen" so to speak, for around 4,000 standard years - that's how recently they were discovered. There has been a galactic governing body in some form, of course, for 25,000 years...

They've only had a unified planetary government for less than 200 years. And that is still in a near constant state of collapse, due to their millennia of history of being nothing more than a planet of warring Tribes.

And no, Cas'sarin, you are not correct. The Jedi have certainly never tried to colonize Gamorr, and have no desire to do so. And the Republic has only really done so in a technological economic-market sense. Gamorr's permanent population of some 500 million is statistically as good as 100% Gamorrean. It's one of the least diversified planets in the Galaxy.

But as I mentioned, they are a considerable fighting force, and the Republic does not want them as enemies...

Now, if there are no other concerns...?
"
May 8, 2019 6:37 pm
OOC:
runekyndig, did you ever roll a Force die for the Destiny Pool?
May 8, 2019 7:46 pm
10-4 Daru, J'errel moves out the door. Will you be joining us with the Guards? Or this is where we show our grit?
load next

Thread locked