Orc Cave

load previous
May 22, 2019 7:35 pm
Erevain’s eyes flick to Alalla’s. The question is obvious: Release the spell?
May 22, 2019 7:37 pm
Al looks to Zenithral, then nods at her husband.
May 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Erevain closes his eyes, and a moment later sound returns to the cave in a sudden cacophony. By far, the most prevalent noise is that of multiple people weeping.
May 22, 2019 7:46 pm
Thank you friend. Zenithral dismisses Fluphy to free him of the telepathic horrors being projected, then tries to cast heroism on both Lance and Mona when the silence is broken.
OOC:
If that doesn't work, he'll try Lesser Restoration with the staff of healing.
May 22, 2019 7:46 pm
Mona groans and leans down to take Lance’s hand as Zenithral casts his spell, and the cambion boy immediately stills and begins to breathe easily. Somehow, he seems to be asleep.
OOC:
The fear spell is over!
May 22, 2019 7:50 pm
Saki stands and wordlessly brushes dust off of her clothes. Then she walks past everyone and moves to the entrance, where Arannis kneels in the bitter wind. She helps him up, then walks him firmly into the cave.

The two of them stand a short distance from Ilmadia and Zenithral and wait.
May 22, 2019 7:52 pm
Halla steps forward on unsteady feet. At first her eyes avoid Ilmadia’s, but then she speaks softly. "I can heal Mona’s wound. May I?"
May 22, 2019 10:26 pm
"Mona?" Ilmadia hesitates only briefly before nodding, still stroking Lance's head, tears still leaking from her eyes. She watches Halla carefully as she heals Mona, still wary.

"You should not have taken that hurt for me, little one." A quick glance at Arannis, but nothing more. "I'm supposed to take care of you." A full sob threatens to overtake her once more, but she muscles it down. She sets her head proudly and turns to Zenithral.

"I agree that hiding Isair and Madae away is not ideal. And it's a terrible, awful risk, but..." Her voice quavers. She clears her throat. "But I will let you and your wife care for them. They will be loved," she says, guardedly watching Halla's tender treatment of Mona, "and you will be able to keep them safe from common threats. But you four must leave the North immediately. Go as far away as you can, to a place you've never heard of and then keep going. And when you stop, never return, and pray that will be enough to keep them from their father's knowledge."
Last edited May 22, 2019 10:27 pm
May 22, 2019 10:31 pm
Halla puts a hand on Mona’s leg. A warm breeze trickles into the cave, carrying with it the scent of fresh oak. Mona’s wound closes (healed for 18). Halla sighs, and then her breath catches at Ilmadia’s words. The druid looks to Zenithral, an odd mix of hope, frustration, and fear in her eyes.

Rolls

Cure wound lvl 3 - (3d8+4)

(374) + 4 = 18

May 22, 2019 11:00 pm
Zenithral's heart lurches.

Leave the North... Zenithal thinks. ...when we're so close? Or are we? Ilmater's bindings...close? Is that what he thought about their current position? Armies are gathering to wipe out the towns and they barely survived a lesser devil attack and he called that close?

He inhales deeply and exhales slowly. But...my visions...the crystal tower...the people of the North... Zenithral wished he had the spell on himself as well, as fear crept into his heart. Ilmadia could help them, couldn't she? But she wouldn't...would she? This seemed about as far as he could push her...but he could at least try! Or would that alienate her again? His thoughts were a mess...

"Isair and Madae," he finally says. "What...would you like? Do you want to go away with Halla and I..or do you want to go with your mother...so Halla and I can try to save our friends and people?"

If they say they wants both...it may be enough...If not...it might at least help make a decision easier...
Last edited May 22, 2019 11:01 pm
May 22, 2019 11:26 pm
Alalla watches Halla and Zenithral's internal struggle for a moment, then buries her emotions beneath her warrior stone. She clears her throat and steps forward.

"Zenithral, the twins need protection, special protection even, but are they more valuable than every other child in the North? What about Jermsy and Natalie? The children of Easthaven? If you leave you would be abandoning all of them. If you leave it wouldn't-" she searches for the words, then sighs. "It wouldn't be just." She really is a paladin.

"Don't forget, Whitcomb could sell Belhifet information on the twins at any time, if he hasn't already. I think it's best to assume Belhifet already knows, and that the twins will be safest when he is in Avernus."
Last edited May 23, 2019 1:02 am
May 22, 2019 11:42 pm
Mona looks up at everyone with large eyes. She remains silent, but she seems to be listening intently to everything that is being said. Lance continues to rest silently in Ilmadia’s arms.
May 23, 2019 2:18 am
Ilmadia's complexion, while already extremely pale, has turned ashen at Alalla's news.

"He may already know?" Ilmadia puts a shaking hand across her face. "You people have no idea what is going on here. There's a portal to the Abyss in the temple of Tempus and my master intends to open it and spill demons across the North. You think you have a chance because you killed a few orcs at Targos? Because you've collected a giant dwarf since then? Targos was a tea party, and the demon horde doesn't care how big your dwarf gets.

Please, my son."
She reaches out and grips Zenithral's hand. "You all need to leave, now! Go as far south as you can and don't come back."

She shoots Alalla a look of muddled emotion. "Don't worry, Paladin, the North doesn't need a hero. Belhifet will make himself one before the end."
OOC:
Everyone make a DC 20 wisdom save vs Ilmadia's super reasonable suggestion.
[ +- ] Mass Suggestion
Last edited May 23, 2019 2:19 am
May 23, 2019 2:21 am
Alalla opens her mouth to object. Then closes it. Then turns towards the exit. Then hesitates. Then strides confidently through the cave, picking up her pack on the way out, fully intending to follow through with Ilmadia's suggestion.
Last edited May 23, 2019 2:27 am

Rolls

Wisdom save - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Indomitable - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

May 23, 2019 2:26 am
Erevain follows in Alalla’s footsteps. When he catches up, he takes her hand in his. "Well, how about we return to the Moonshae Isles? This is all awful, but if Ilmadia is right, we might as well move on and make the most of what we can. Perhaps we can finally start our own family..."

Rolls

Halla wis save DC 20 - (1d20+9)

(13) + 9 = 22

Arannis wis save DC 20 - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Erevain wis save DC 20 - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

May 23, 2019 2:37 am
Halla grunts as if punched in the gut. "No..." She shakes her head. "No! ‘Tis a trick! Her words are laced with enchantment!" She looks desperately around at the companions. "Please, tell me you won’t let the people here be slaughtered without even lifting your finger to help!"

A dangerous growl begins to build in her throat.
May 23, 2019 2:45 am
Arannis bites his lip hard enough to draw blood. "Imadia... Daughter... What are you doing?" His next words pour forth like water from a broken dam. "How could you?! Why did you let yourself be taken in by evil? Why sell your soul to the most vile of patrons? How can you have put yourself in a position that you have to sit back and let all this happen? How could I?"

He clutches at his chest, as though his heart is being ripped in two. "I... I was not the father you needed, and I am sorry for that! But please... do not let this tragedy come to pass... And certainly do not aid it!" He gasps through his tears. "You can do better than this. You can be better than this..."
May 23, 2019 3:17 am
The longer Ilmadia speaks the more compelling her words become to the elderly dwarf. He looks at his companions trying to gauge their reactions to what has been suggested.

"Friends, how much more can we do?"

Collecting his gear, the dwarf makes his way to the entrance, smiling giddily at Allala as she leaves with him.
Last edited May 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Rolls

A dwerf needs a miracle here.... wisdom save - (1d20)

(2) = 2

May 23, 2019 3:40 am
Ilmadia stiffens much like her father is prone to. She shifts Lance in her lap so he rests against her chest and stands, alight with indignation.

"Sell my soul? I did not sell myself. I was sold. My deal was made with a fae creature, in desperation to learn something about what my blood meant! A little arcane knowledge was attractive too, since I couldn't manage it with that horrible bow. But I suppose I was as good a servant as I was a daughter, because my contract was sold, and my terms rewritten, again and again, until I might as well be bound hand and foot."

The tears begin to flow again. "You're sorry? You were never my father. You were my commanding officer. My whole childhood was 'yes, sir' and 'no, sir' and 'be still,' and 'stop asking questions.' Mother told me to pray to Ilmater for 'compassion for your pain', but my namesake didn't seem to care how long I spent on my knees begging to be made good enough for you!

And you know what? Uncle Lethias was in considerably more pain than you ever were, and he still answered any question I cared to ask. What does it say when you get more affection from a mute suit of armour covered in corpses than your own father?"
At that, a thought occurs to her and cools her rage somewhat. When she continues her voice is more subdued, and the tears come stronger.

"Erestor taught me that that said more about you than it did about me, but he was not a good man, even though he loved me. And I killed him. So I don't know what you were expecting, Father. I don't have any choice in this matter, but it was all I was ever good enough for anyway. I only want my children to be safe."
May 23, 2019 4:04 am

Rolls

Wisdom Save - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Inspiration - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Arcana - (1d20+8)

(12) + 8 = 20

Religion (Help from Saki) - (1d20+8, 1d20+8)

1d20+8 : (5) + 8 = 13

1d20+8 : (19) + 8 = 27

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.