Character Creation

Oct 28, 2015 3:15 am
Discuss character concepts here, ask questions and make your rolls.

4d6 drop lowest, roll it 7 times and keep the highest 6 results. Anything from the PHB, DMG, EE, or SCAG allowed. If you want something from UA, just ask :)
Oct 28, 2015 3:55 am
I'm leaning towards Druid or ranger, but let's see where the numbers take me first...

Wow that's not too shabby!
Last edited October 28, 2015 3:57 am

Rolls

Stats - (4d6)

(5143) = 13

Stats - (4d6)

(6155) = 17

Stats - (4d6)

(4632) = 15

Stats - (4d6)

(1664) = 17

Stats - (4d6)

(2535) = 15

Stats - (4d6)

(1524) = 12

Stats - (4d6)

(6441) = 15

Oct 28, 2015 12:39 pm
Off on another adventure!

Ok, nothing to complain about really. You have to have one dump stat right?
Last edited October 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (1364) = 14

4d6 : (2123) = 8

4d6 : (5656) = 22

4d6 : (3356) = 17

4d6 : (6132) = 12

4d6 : (3113) = 8

4d6 : (4643) = 17

Oct 28, 2015 1:44 pm
Not bad at all so far :)

Really glad I allowed that 7th roll, lol
Oct 28, 2015 2:57 pm
Everyone will also start with an Inspiration point
Oct 28, 2015 4:02 pm
Rolling...

15, 13, 13, 9, 13, 11 (dropped the 8).

Hm... I'll have to play around with these a bit.
Last edited October 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Rolls

Stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (5164) = 16

4d6 : (2323) = 10

4d6 : (2436) = 15

4d6 : (4362) = 15

4d6 : (2324) = 11

4d6 : (2625) = 15

4d6 : (4433) = 14

Oct 28, 2015 4:49 pm
I have decided on Tiedling warlock great old one pact. Details coming soon.
Oct 28, 2015 5:37 pm
I've accepted CancerMan's character. Only question I have is this: Is he supposed to be 152 lbs at 6'6"? Seems pretty light :)

You can all introduce your character whenever you're ready
Oct 28, 2015 5:52 pm
I'll have to finish my char this weekend but I will have the bare bones up shortly.
Last edited October 28, 2015 5:53 pm
Oct 28, 2015 5:57 pm
Moofsalot says:
I'll have to finish my char this weekend but I will have the bare bones up shortly.
No problem, wasn't expecting to start up for a little bit yet :)
Oct 28, 2015 6:16 pm
I created a Half-Orc Fighter named Kama, with a Folk Hero/Soldier background. STR 17, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 13.
Quote:
Kama grew up in a farming community. His mother was a retired human warrior who met his father, an orc smith, during her adventuring days. The couple settled down in a remote area and gradually worked themselves into the good graces of the farmers and residents, particularly since having a decent warrior and a decent smith helped tremendously. Kama and his family were eventually welcome, and the half-orc proved a valuable farmhand as he worked tirelessly in the fields and the forge.

Of course, while Kama and his family enjoyed the relative isolation, the rest of the world marched on. A neighboring kingdom declared war, and an invading army crossed the borders. Kama's farmlands were far enough from the main spearhead, but a flanking contingent began working its way towards the little village. By this time, Kama's father had passed, and his mother was too old to physically lead the defense, so Kama himself took his father's greataxe and donned his mother's chainmail (well, as best as he could; the armor was small, and so he had to make a few adjustments to turn it into a rudimentary skirt).

Under his mother's tutelage, Kama rallied the peasantry and trained them to use their farming implements as weapons. He directed barricades to be set up at key locations and organized the farmers into squads. Kama stood at the forefront and led the village in repelling each attempt by the invading soldiers to cross.

It was enough of a resistance that the enemy unit sought a different path and spared the farmlands, for they were eager to catch up with the main force. Perhaps this may not have single-handedly decided the war's outcome, but the subsequent delay managed to allow the defending army time to regroup and stall the invasion, such that eventually a peace accord was struck.

Kama's efforts did not go unnoticed. The lord recruited Kama into his army, eager to benefit from the half-orc's experience. Unfortunately, while Kama performed admirably in the ranks, he did not attain any position of leadership due to his background and his appearance. Kama was not daunted, and exemplified himself with disciplined ferocity, such that he won the respect of his unit and his commanders.

The half-orc's tenure in the standing army saw little action, except for small skirmishes against bandits or wandering creatures. Kama was eventually released from service and was free to forge his own path. He sought to experience the world before returning home.
http://orig01.deviantart.net/0e40/f/2014/210/d/5/d5639b099d7900a24fed484b8ac9c2a9-d7sw0rd.jpg
And, rolling for trinket... A bag of 47 humanoid teeth. These were trophies from his defense of his homeland, one tooth for each opposing soldier defeated.

Edit: Yeah, I made a typo in his weight. Should be 252 lbs.
Last edited October 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Rolls

Trinket - (1d100)

(26) = 26

Oct 28, 2015 6:40 pm
I've decided to go Tiefling Warlock Great Old One Pact. Str 7, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 19.

Hollow Marivaldi
http://40.media.tumblr.com/1d30144b5eab5a732ee08a19118e964c/tumblr_mjqi01R8361rdy3s5o1_1280.jpg

Hollow is the daughter of some minor aristocrat in far off Amruthar (a city in Thay). Her parents were not tiefling, at least not full blooded. Her parents hid their past and had tried to bury their ancestors transgressions, but Hollow's appearance brought that secret shame to the forefront. There were of course rumors that Hollow's mother actually had an extramarital affair, but anyone who saw Hollow could see the strong Marivaldi features. Her father openly claimed her as his child and would talk about some ancient ancestor who had nearly ruined the Marivaldi name, but his father's father's father had righted the ship as it were. This helped, but it could not stop all the stares and whispers. As her parents had more children and their appearances remained conventionally human, Hollow was pushed further into the shadows to keep the family's shame out of public scrutiny.

This left Hollow with a lot of time to herself, something she sees as both an advantage and a disadvantage. She was able to pursue her own goals and her parents provided private tutors who indulged her curiosities. She was also able to sneak out and explore the city more easily. She knew her mother would prefer to parade her two sisters in front of visitors than her, her brother was the true apple in her father's eye and his heir. No one was ever looking for her to perform any official duties. Her siblings echoed their parents' attitude and kept their distance. Her eldest sister, Mera, had a truly cruel streak when she would tease Hollow. Kahnmei, her brother was fairly neutral, in public he would be distant, in private he would be warmer towards Hollow. Seipora, the youngest Marivaldi, did exhibit genuine affection for Hollow, but being the smallest could not stand up to any of the bullying Hollow encountered. This left Hollow with conflicting emotions, she is fine on her own most of the time, and fine being alone sometimes, but other times she gets restless and feels a strong need to be around other people.

Hollow spent a lot of her free time wandering the streets of Amruthar. Her main activity was meeting other tieflings and learning what she could about her heritage and how they lived their lives. She got to know many, but they were all much older than her. They taught her to not be ashamed of her nature but to beware of the black mark on her soul. A few months before reaching the age of majority, when she would be expected to make her own plans for her future, Hollow was wandering the city when she met a gang of street urchins, calling themselves The Red Knives. Among their number was a boy tiefling named Flare. He was a year younger than Hollow, she couldn't help but be attracted to him, being the only other teifling her age. Hollow found every excuse to be around the gang, and Flare, that she could. Within a few weeks Hollow felt like she was a member of the gang, though her money and permanent home kept her from being fully accepted.

The Red Knives were not as violent their name might have made them sound. They mostly picked pockets and committed crimes of opportunity. They learned of a horde of food and trade goods being held deep in the sewers. Apparently the owner didn’t want to draw attention to his goods by storing them in a warehouse in the city. So while it was secret, and hard for most to get to, it was not very secure, or so the rumor said. The Red Knives decided to raid the store and see what they could get. They scouted and planned for three days. They learned that the high traffic times were during the day and at night the one guard that was posted was a quick and heavy sleeper. It was going to be an easy nighttime smash and grab with a hefty payday!

Except it's never that easy. As it happened the score belonged to a cult to an ancient evil entity called The Lord of the Cold and Yearning Stars. The place the knives intended to rob was a ritual site. An avatar of the Lord of Cold and Yearning Stars slumbered beneath the city. The cult intended to wake the avatar and who would then summon the vast and horrible Lord. The Red Knives were too young to appreciate the danger they had stumbled upon and they pressed forward with their plans hoping the ritual would distract the cultists while they took what they wanted. However the goods the Knives sought were actually part of the offering needed to wake the Avatar. They were spotted and many of the Knives were captured and added to the offering.

As the ritual began a great vault was opened and the form of the avatar was revealed to the congregation. Many wept and went mad on the spot, some just then understanding what they were truly attempting, other learned their minds were unable to handle the horror of the creature. In the confusion Flare attempted to rally the Red Knives and escape. He grabbed Hollow's hand and they ran. The commotion was to chaotic and the beast began to stir. Hollow and Flare found themselves on the precipice of the vault staring into the eye of the creature. Enraged by the disruption the Red Knives were causing the cult high priest plunged a dagger into Flare's back and launched him into the pit. It was then that Hollow first heard the voice of The Lord of Cold and Yearning Stars as her young love's screams echoed in the vast darkness.

"You, small thing, you of the claimed but unbound soul, your anguish and despair pleases us! We would grant you your desire! Power and wealth unthought of by the other small ones you do not seek! Vengeance and strife for all who would thwart your will will be my gift to you. You need only swear to serve me and these gifts shall be yours."

Thinking only of herself and her unfulfilled love of Flare, Hollow agreed. The beast in the pit awoke and emote the cult and the madmen, nearly to a man. The remnants cowed and bowed to Hollow as their chosen one. The last to die was the high priest who had killed Flare. He was taken to the vault where the avatar devoured him slowly, dragging out his death for an hour. His screams echo through the cavern and in Hollow's ears to this day.

For a time things returned to normal. Peaceful and quiet city life had only been interrupted by a small quake, nothing more. The remaining Red Knives slowly abandoned Hollow, but she barely noticed. Her family's attitude changed drastically. Suddenly she was no longer the black sheep. Her parents and siblings doted on her. She was invited to all the parties and social functions. Those that spoke ill of her found themselves facing bad fortune, injury and even death. It became known that a frown from Hollow was something to be avoided. And for a time, this pleased her. The cultists who had survived insinuated themselves into her life. They served fervently and without fail. However Hollow could tell it wasn't her they served, it was her master, The Lord of Cold and Yearning Stars.

Seipora noticed the changes to and did not like them all. She was happy that her sister was now able to walk the streets without being sneered or chided, but the dark cloud that followed Hollow was to much to bare. Seipora told Hollow how she felt one day when they thought they were alone. Hollow was at first angry that her most trusted and loved sister would turn against her. When the cultist maid burst from behind the drapes and grabbed Seipora, dagger at the ready to slit her throat, Hollow realized in horror just how bad things were. She ordered the cultist to stand down and free Seipora, but the woman refused and Hollow had to kill the woman, lest Seipora die.

When word spread that Hollow had spared her sister and slain a member of the cult, the servant's' attitude changed. They were bound to deliver punishment to all who opposed Hollow's will. If they could not serve, if Hollow stood in the way of their grand work, she was not the chosen one after all. The stares conveyed the cults disapproval. Hollow decided it was time to leave and she was going to take Seipora and the rest of her family with her.

When she tried to escape however, she found Kahnmei and Meira standing over the bodies of their parents, blood soaked daggers still in their hands. Kahnmei offered that if Hollow would take him as her consort, the cult would forgive her transgressions. Meira however had planned on taking the position of cult leader for herself and attempted to kill Hollow and Seipora before any conversation could take place. At the last moment two of the cultists who had apparently also changed loyalties came to their rescue. They fought off Meira and led the two girls out of the family estate.

Now Hollow, Seipora and the two reformed cultists, Jozin and Cyril, have fled as far as they can in hopes of escaping the cult. They do not know how far the eyes of The Lord of Cold and Yearning Stars can see, nor how far it's reach, so they run. Seeing cultists and threat around every corner, Hollow was slow to trust Gundren Rockseeker when they first met. His true nature however has persuaded her to trust him. When he offered work for a decent wage, Hollow couldn't say no.
Oct 28, 2015 7:07 pm
Loving the characters so far :)

I'm assuming that Hollow has left her sister and the ex-cultists in Neverwinter while she's on the job?
Oct 28, 2015 7:15 pm
Well, I am debating that. I was going to ask about the background. I'm just going to use the Noble for everything, but I was considering the variant 'Retainers' option. Then Seipora and the cultists would be filling those roles. Hollow will be the one who agreed to the job and no extra money was negotiated or needed for the three NPCs, however if you don't want to deal with that detail, I am happy to keep the base option and assume they are set up back in Neverwinter with enough money to cover their expenses while Hollow works. I have heard a little about this adventure but don't know anything about what happens after we, the party, learns what has happened to Rockseeker.
Oct 28, 2015 7:16 pm
spaceseeker19 sent a note to Moofsalot
Rolling stats! Results: 11 13 17 10 8 11

With a warlock and fighter, I'm thinking of a rogue or cleric. You know what? I'll do a rogue. I've had fun in the D&D5 adventures where no one has played a healer (and I've just rolled up a cleric in another game).

With EE races included (but not Eberron or SCG, as I don't have those), there are 22 possible races (counting dwarf, elf and halfling subraces as separate, since they have separate stats, and leaving out svirfneblin and duergar):
1- Human
2 - Hill Dwarf
3 - Mountain Dwarf
4 - High Elf
5 - Wood Elf
6 - Lightfoot Halfling
7 - Stout Halfling
8 - Forest Gnome
9 - Rock Gnome
10 - Half-elf
11 - Half-orc
12 - Dragonborn
13 - Tiefling
14 - Aasimar
15 - Aarakocra
16 - Eladrin
17 - Air Genasi
18 - Earth Genasi
19 - Fire Genasi
20 - Water Genasi
21 - Goliath
22 - Minotaur
...so I'll roll a d22. a 20 indicates a water genasi. With that, I'll assign the stats thus:
STR 10
INT 11
WIS 12 (with genasi bonus)
DEX 17
CON 15 (with genasi bonus)
CHR 8

I'll put the rest of my character work on the sheet, only returning here for occasional random rolls for things like skill selection. I rolled background randomly, and I'm fine with hermit, but nearly all the rest of the results exactly match my rolls for Grumble Danj, so I'm going to pick and choose in order to build a hermit character more distinct from my other hermit character here on GP.
Last edited October 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Rolls

Attributes - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (1131) = 6

4d6 : (5124) = 12

4d6 : (4154) = 14

4d6 : (5626) = 19

4d6 : (2414) = 11

4d6 : (3123) = 9

4d6 : (5421) = 12

Race choice - (1d22)

(20) = 20

Rogue skills - (4d11)

(7419) = 21

Background, Trait, Ideal, Bond, Flaw - (1d13, 1d8, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d13 : (7) = 7

1d8 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (1) = 1

Oct 28, 2015 7:19 pm
foolsmask says:
Well, I am debating that. I was going to ask about the background. I'm just going to use the Noble for everything, but I was considering the variant 'Retainers' option. Then Seipora and the cultists would be filling those roles. Hollow will be the one who agreed to the job and no extra money was negotiated or needed for the three NPCs, however if you don't want to deal with that detail, I am happy to keep the base option and assume they are set up back in Neverwinter with enough money to cover their expenses while Hollow works. I have heard a little about this adventure but don't know anything about what happens after we, the party, learns what has happened to Rockseeker.
I'll roll with it either way, power to the players!. The only thing that I can say that you may want to consider is that your character knows it may be a dangerous trip. If you'd rather keep your last remaining family member close that would be fine too :)

Naatkinson sent a note to spaceseeker19,Moofsalot
Oct 28, 2015 7:28 pm
I agree it seems risky, but I think that they are still a little shell shocked and would not want to part for any length of time, and I think the former cultists might be thinking along similar lines, but it probably has more to do with conditioning and being slightly mad that they don't want to be separated. I'm picturing them as slightly less weird versions of the butler and maid from Rocky Horror Picture show.
Oct 28, 2015 7:46 pm
So we have a Half-orc Fighter, Wood Elven Ranger, Tiefling Warlock, and Water Genasi Rogue. Looks good to me, and I also enjoy playing without a healer, makes it more suspenseful.
Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm
Wood elf, huh? I was going to suggest a dragonborn or warforged if a race hadn't been selected yet, for a complete quartet of races that no respectable normal biased person would have anything to do with...a band of misfits and outcasts - perfect for adventurers!

I suspect that moofsalot's character is going to do a lot of face-to-face interactions for us in town, unless the town is particularly cosmopolitan!
Oct 28, 2015 8:09 pm
Warforged ranger would be pretty cool, I think
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.