Chapter 3: Crow's Nest

load previous
May 18, 2019 6:04 am
Viani's eyes widen I fear when she first sees the magical storm. When she notices that being close to Elors eases the weird feeling somewhat, she sticks as close to her as possible, even hooking her arm under hers if Elora allows her to. She goes into the basement with the others. "What is going on out there? And Elora, how are you able to neutralize this weird feeling?"
May 18, 2019 9:40 am
Yelnar greets Froak, Verrian and Shiloh on their return. "Looks like you got here just in time, it seems like this storm is a pretty big deal."

He shuts the door on the basement, then has a realisation.

"What if these storms were what the horses were in that weird place to protect against? Oh I hope we haven't doomed them."
May 18, 2019 1:34 pm
Ember sighs in relief when she sees Verrian and Froak. She feels a jolt of concern again when Yelnar mentions the horses.

They're smart, right? They'll go back in.

She's excited, but terrified. She can feel the uncontrolled magic, so much more intense than the day she set fire to their house. Her skin burns again, and she moves as close to Elora as she can without it being weird. She realizes it's still kind of weird, and is glad that Viani already verbalized the question.

That's all I was wondering, Elora. The closer we are to you, the less awful the magic feels. . . .What kind of mage are you?
Last edited May 18, 2019 1:35 pm
May 18, 2019 2:46 pm
At the mention of the horses, Verrian makes a pained expression. "I think we probably have doomed them. Maybe not to death, but something. Froak says that this kind of storm 'changes' things. I'm wondering if this is how his people came to be... the way they are. One thing I do know is, the guards at the Citadel were terrified of it. And absolutely no one was outside when we ran back."
May 18, 2019 4:38 pm
"Wh-what?" Elora feels as if she is being interrogated, looking between the questioning gals with confusion. "The ah...technical term is Magus, thats all. What do you mean neutralize? I mean, the storm makes me feel a little weird too guys."

Rolls

Knowledge arcana/planes (whatever makes more sense) - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

May 18, 2019 4:49 pm
Verrian is beginning to take stock of their surroundings as she listens to the magic users discuss the effects of the approaching storm. Like everyone else before her, she finds her attention drawn to the unbroken cabinet against the wall. She begins to examine it, wondering why it is the only thing in the room not left in pieces.

Rolls

Perception on the cabinet of inscrutability - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

May 18, 2019 10:39 pm
Yelnar keeps seeing people looking at this cabinet and doesn't get it. He walks over and lifts it up and moves it, happy for something to do.
May 18, 2019 10:58 pm
Yelnar tries his best, straining with it several different ways, only to find that it doesn’t budge. Apparently there’s a reason it’s the only thing still standing upright.

That’s when Verrian walks over and takes look. There’s a very faint discontinuity in the grain of the wood at about eye level. She runs her fingers over it and pushes slightly. There is a very faint click, and a small panel pops out just slightly. Opening it further reveals a recess just large enough for someone to reach inside and pull an easily visible lever.
May 18, 2019 11:07 pm
Raising an eyebrow upon finding the lever, Verrian glances around at the rest of the party, then reaches in and pulls the lever.
May 18, 2019 11:14 pm
Viani stepa forqard. She's holding her ranseur in hand in case there's anything dangerous behind the cabinet. It wouldn't be the first time they found a portal to another plane, after all.
She's trying to stay close to Elora but is willing to step farther away from her to get close to Verrian.
May 18, 2019 11:28 pm
There is a louder clunking sound as the lever is pulled, and the cabinet hinges away from the wall like a door.
May 18, 2019 11:41 pm
Opening the cabinet/door fully, Verrian looks to see what she can detect behind it.
OOC:
GM Edit: Verrian gets an additional +2 to reflex save from her class base. The final result is 16.

Rolls

Reflex save - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

May 19, 2019 12:04 am
OOC:
Elora, your rolls don’t tell you anything new, by the way.
May 19, 2019 12:15 am
OOC:
Verrian and Viani, please give me a Reflex save.
May 19, 2019 1:10 am
OOC:
Oh well, at least now I know the cabinet didn't rub some weird magic dust on Elora.
May 19, 2019 7:39 am
OOC:
Reflexing

Rolls

Reflex Save - (1D20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

May 19, 2019 3:33 pm
As the cabinet swings open, two arrows sail forth from the corridor revealed behind it. Verrian is able to duck to one side as the arrow zips past, burying itself in the cabinet with a loud thunk. The other catches Viani by surprise, but apparently the archer has a jumpy trigger finger, as it goes well wide of the mark, banking off the ceiling and shattering into splinters.

"Those were warning shots!" calls a voice that’s audibly nervous and shaking. "We’re all full down here, and we’ve got plenty more arrows, so you can just... just... turn around! Go back to the citadel and leave us alone!"

Rolls

Attack roll and damage - (1d20+1, 1d6)

1d20+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

1d6 : (3) = 3

May 19, 2019 4:07 pm
Viani opens her mouth to reply but stops herself before she does. If she says the wrong thing, this could end badly. Better to just let Verrian speak.
May 19, 2019 4:43 pm
Pulling Viani toward her, out of the line of fire, Verrian calls out, "Please don't shoot anymore. We're not from the Citadel and we're not going to hurt you. We're here to help. Yelnar is here with us, along with five mages. Look, there's some kind of magical storm coming. Can we please come in?"
May 19, 2019 5:40 pm
A more confident, if higher pitched voice comes from behind the inscrutable door.

Hold your fire for now boys. On the off chance you are telling the truth, I am going to allow you to come in. Those storms are bad news.

You hear whispered arguing, then the voice talking to his men.

Look, I have not steered you wrong yet, they could be valuable allies

Then in a louder voice to you.

We have a large, and obviously jumpy armed force here. Please put your weapons away and follow me.

At this you see the speaker step out. He is a halfling. A little over three feet tall wearing studded leather armour. He has a rapier in one hand and a dagger in the other, but manage to bow with a flourish anyway.

My name is Willitan Lightfoot. Come with me if you want to live.
load next

Thread locked