OOC Discussion

load previous
Nov 16, 2015 5:10 pm
I love that the rogue has become the treasurer :)
Nov 16, 2015 8:52 pm
Gonna wait for a bit to see what foolsmask and moofsalot are up to during this time :)
Nov 16, 2015 9:18 pm
It's scrolling by so quick I haven't had a chance to read it all in detail! Ahh!
Nov 16, 2015 9:24 pm
Moofsalot says:
It's scrolling by so quick I haven't had a chance to read it all in detail! Ahh!
And that's why I'm taking a break for a little bit here, I realize that it's going way too fast for everyone to keep up properly.
Nov 16, 2015 9:41 pm
Yeah, that's why Xora isn't paying attention or listening half the time...
Nov 16, 2015 9:42 pm
Moofsalot says:
Yeah, that's why Xora isn't paying attention or listening half the time...
I will make an effort to slow things down a bit :)
Nov 16, 2015 10:30 pm
Sorry about that!
Nov 17, 2015 2:06 am
Hollow has settled at the inn for the night. She's not anti-social but the day was rough and has drained her energy, that's why she sent money with the fellas. If asked her opinion is leave it for the morning.
Nov 17, 2015 2:19 am
Kama is going to channel Andrew W.K. and party hard.
Nov 18, 2015 12:29 am
Great idea on adding the NPC guide. I was worried I'd lose track.
Nov 18, 2015 12:32 am
foolsmask says:
Great idea on adding the NPC guide. I was worried I'd lose track.
Thanks :) There are a LOT of NPCs in the published modules, and I'm probably gonna have trouble keeping track too

If I have forgotten anything for any of them, let me know.
Nov 18, 2015 1:33 am
Sildar is a member of a secret society and thus a Commie Mutant Traitor!

....sorry, wrong game...
Nov 19, 2015 7:07 am
Naatkinson says:
You can purchase horses from Barthen's Provisions for the stated price in the PHB
So that's 75 gp per riding horse. We've earned 100 gp so far, plus whatever else we started with, which might amount to enough for two horses. We've got, what, 7 people? 8 people? That's at least 4 horses.

Kama's right, though: we could go 18 miles a day directly to Thundertree through the wild (which is the route Qelline described), or 30 miles a day if we force march and take the road (which is considerably longer than the stated distance; I'd estimate maybe 100 miles?), which would mean a minimum of 3 days there on foot (including time on the last day to find the druid once we get to Thundertree). Then who knows how long it would be to get to wherever the druid tells us is the location of the castle?

Unfortunately, it seems that D&D5 doesn't actually allow that horses allow you to cover more ground over long distances, even though a riding horse's base move is double a typical size M biped. The rules talk about galloping for an hour, but nothing about covering more ground otherwise. So maybe looking for horses is barking up the role-playing tree. Or it's an opportunity to house-rule it. It sure would be nice to commit to 4 days of travel, rather than 6, just to get to Thundertree and back.
Last edited November 19, 2015 7:08 am
Nov 19, 2015 7:40 am
A normal pace would have the group cover 24 miles over 8 hours of travel. It seems like we could go as the crow flies and travel straight to the ruins along the edge of the wood. We can't use stealth on a normal pace, of course, but I figure we're interested in covering ground, not sneaking up on something 55 miles away.

24 miles per day would still take 3 days, but barring any wild random encounters we'd reach Thundertree on the morning of the 3rd day, which gives us some time to scout around for the druid.
Nov 19, 2015 7:56 am
Good idea. Note that, in quoting the 18 miles a day, I was assuming that traveling along the edge of the forest would not be easy terrain, and so we wouldn't be able to manage a pace that is normal for flat plains.
Last edited November 19, 2015 7:57 am
Nov 19, 2015 12:17 pm
My favorite terrain is forests, so if we happen to be going through one, we don't have to worry about difficult terrain.
Nov 19, 2015 1:56 pm
Stole spaceseeker19's rules for mounted travel from another game :)

They are in the rules post
Nov 19, 2015 3:38 pm
Moofsalot says:
My favorite terrain is forests, so if we happen to be going through one, we don't have to worry about difficult terrain.
Ooh, excellent! I'd forgotten!
Nov 19, 2015 7:05 pm
So, if I'm reading the mounted travel rules correctly, riding horses save us a day of travel each direction in this case at normal speed. Assuming our characters would know this infomation because horse travel is a common occurrence for them, like driving a car might be for us in the real world. So looking into getting riding horses seems like a good plan.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.