INTEREST CHECK - Tales from the Loop

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 14, 2019 7:25 pm
The landscape was full of machines and scrap metal connected to the facility in one way or another. Always present on the horizon were the colossal cooling towers, with their green obstruction lights. If you put your ear to the ground, you could hear the heartbeat of the Loop – the purring of the Gravitron, the central piece of engineering magic that was the focus of the Loop’s experiments. The facility was the largest of its kind in the world, and it was said that its forces could bend space-time itself.

Tales from the Loop is a roleplaying game in which the players take on the roles of Kids ages 10-15 who escape from their boring, everyday lives to investigate strange mysteries in a speculative 1980s setting based on the paintings of Swedish artist Simon Stålenhag.

I've never played before, so this would be a learning experience for me, but I'm a huge fan of the setting and have been dying to give it a shot. Drop a comment if you'd be interested.

https://www.simonstalenhag.se/bilder/l_fb_04.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Rkix9kXZGjkDD5XPRDM92l4AD2c=/0x0:2420x1613/1200x800/filters:focal(1017x614:1403x1000)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/60409857/eec1dff733eadc5ec217d989055abf5b.0.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--t7_r4NUZ--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/h7tdnwbbk1gghy0tjsa5.jpg

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/simon-11.jpg

https://dqm0pnlwcddhp.cloudfront.net/db/image_blocks/image_svs/1770/normal/stugan1010ny.jpg?1538572638
Last edited May 14, 2019 7:27 pm
May 14, 2019 7:26 pm
That's some cool-ass artwork!
May 14, 2019 7:29 pm
That artwork is amazing! If I wasn't at my limit for game commitment, I'd apply! Best of luck!
Last edited May 14, 2019 7:29 pm
May 14, 2019 7:29 pm
Sign me up. Sounds like a cool setting!
May 14, 2019 7:57 pm
78RPMLife says:
Sign me up. Sounds like a cool setting!
Well, if you're in, then so am I (plus the bonus of another game with Santouche).

Sign me up, too!
Last edited May 14, 2019 7:57 pm
May 14, 2019 8:05 pm
I can't pass on a game that has art work like that. Count me in. This is published by Modiphius right? I've played Mutant Year Zero before. Is it like that?

I'm taking a shine to the "hick" class..
Last edited May 14, 2019 8:22 pm
May 14, 2019 8:22 pm
Squadfather44 says:
I can't pass on a game that has art work like that. Count me in. This is published by Modiphius right? I've played Mutant Year Zero before. Is it like that?
It's D6 based and the reviews I read indicate it is very similar, yes.
May 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Nice! I'll start working on a character, I'm thinking of going with the "hick".
May 14, 2019 8:35 pm
I ordered a hard copy of the book today -- it will arrive Thursday. The artwork is worth it alone.
May 14, 2019 8:36 pm
I've never played M:YZ, but yes, it's based on that dice mechanic.

Airickson, 78, Squad - you're all in. I'll brush up on the rules and figure out exactly what I want to run. If another player or two jump in in the meantime, even better. Gimme about a week, I'd say, to get it up and running.

I'll probably start with one of the pre-written adventures from the core rulebook (unless I have a sudden flash of inspiration), so stay away from those for your own good if you're taking a look in there.
May 14, 2019 8:37 pm
Dandy! You're in, Librarian.
May 15, 2019 4:06 am
Been curious about this system for awhile now. There's a copy sitting in my FLGS... I don't think I can handle another game at the mo, but would you consider making it public and floating the forum link, so I could be a fly on the wall?
May 15, 2019 1:28 pm
As long as all my players are cool with it, I'm more than happy to make the game public!
May 15, 2019 1:49 pm
I'm going to go ahead and make the game forum, just in case doing so draws any additional interest in the game. I'll send the four of you invites, but please don't submit characters quite yet. We should chat a bit about setting, and since the Kids are all supposed to be friends - or at least associates - I'd like to talk through the development of the party as a whole group. So feel free to get inspired and generate ideas for your Kid, but don't get too married to any concepts quite yet. We have a few group decisions to make first.
May 15, 2019 3:58 pm
This looks interesting, but I think I too am at my limit. I'll also take a peek in if it's public.
May 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Up to five players, giving this a bump to see if we can get a 6th before we kick things off.
May 16, 2019 6:26 pm
Do you envision us doing the Swedish Loop or the US Loop?
May 16, 2019 6:34 pm
That's one of the things I wanted to talk about with you all!

My lean is towards US. Frankly, I like the geographic setting of the Swedish loop better - all the islands and stuff - but the middle of the desert has potential as well, and obviously I'm more fluent in American culture, history, naming customs, etc etc etc.

So for those reasons, if it were purely up to me, I would pick US - I kinda shudder thinking about having to constantly type Swedish proper nouns with all those accent marks - but I'm open to being persuaded otherwise if players have strong enough opinions one way or the other.
Last edited May 16, 2019 6:35 pm
May 16, 2019 6:52 pm
Not knowing a thing about the rulebook, or the settings described there, my preference would also be for somewhere a little more familiar. Could it be a fictional US locale that has the geography you like? Just a thought.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.