[5e] Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 25, 2019 1:32 am
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
I am going to run the new module for Dungeons and Dragons 5e, Ghosts of Saltmarsh. I am seeking 5-6 active players for this game who are interested in a game that is equal parts roleplay, combat, and exploration.

Setting: This game takes place in the setting of Greyhawk, the original D&D setting. In-depth knowledge of the setting is not required, but you will be expected to restrict your deity and homeland choices to those within Greyhawk. I can help you figure it out if you need assistance.

The Town of Saltmarsh is a small fishing village on the coast of the kingdom of Keoland and is where the game will take place. Expect nautical themes and some ocean-based adventures to be a part of this game.

Requirements: Any player joining up has to be willing to join a Discord server where it's much quicker for out-of-character discussion and collaboration. You also must be an active player on GP with a proven track record.

Character Creation
Ability Score Generation: You will have the choice of point buy, standard array, or rolling 4d6 drop lowest for each of your ability scores and placing them where you choose. All rolls will be done on the discord server I have set up.

Backgrounds: The backgrounds in the PHB are acceptable, but there more in the book that are nautical in nature as well as some modifications to the existing backgrounds to make them fit into the world. These will be outlined in the game forums, so no additional books are required.

Classes: All core classes and subclasses will be available to you for character creation.

Races: All of the PHB races will be allowed for this game. Any other races are up to DM discretion.

Now that the expectations are out of the way, I will let you know how I am going to choose players. Let me know why I should accept YOU into this game over any of the other applicants!
May 25, 2019 1:41 am
Woot. Count me in it.. :)
May 25, 2019 1:47 am
Ahhhh, that's a pretty good way to sieve through players to find the good ones.

Any specific way you wish for us to try and grab your attention, or shall we just sling noodles at a wall?
May 25, 2019 1:51 am
LegionChimera7 says:
Ahhhh, that's a pretty good way to sieve through players to find the good ones.

Any specific way you wish for us to try and grab your attention, or shall we just sling noodles at a wall?
Sling away! :P
May 25, 2019 2:01 am
Why should I be invited to this shindig? Well, let me tell you a tale - a tale filled with such revelry and debauchery that you won't even notice how I am smuggling bottles of fine hairfoot brandy into Saltmarsh!

Alas, to hear more of what happened after Merpos Tidechaser walked into the tavern, you'll just have to send me an invite!
May 25, 2019 6:03 am
I’d love to play! But dammit I’m already running it here, too... 😏
May 25, 2019 6:41 am
Willing to join a Discord server: Check already have a discord account
Active player on GP...: Check logging in several times a day
...with a proven track record: I don't know what you mean by that, but I am doing my part to keep a good game from stalling.

and just by peaking at your Starfinder game, you seem like an able GM that I would like to play with.
Last edited May 25, 2019 6:49 am
May 25, 2019 8:46 am
Ket_Onwall says:
I'm suddenly tempted to abandon helping Ket out to play in this game...
May 25, 2019 12:11 pm
Gather 'round fellows and I'll tell ye a tale! A tale of adventure! A tale of love! A tale of-- Too much? Aye, fine. Just a simple tale of adventure it is, then.

Our story begins with the birth of our character: a half-orc babe, born to a half-orc mother and a human father. The child's name is Margot, though later in life, she calls herself Merry Margot.

Her father was a bard who used to be an adventurer of sorts. Her mother was a barbarian who had ambushed her father's party on their travels. The two had met on the battlefield, with her being entranced by his singing. With their eyes locked, they made their way to one another and embraced. Both sides stopped their quarrel. They looked on at the pairing at first with disgust, then anger, and then adoration, and then back to disgust, and THEN back to adoration. It's been said that he went back every-so-often during their downtimes.

But, cut to a few years later, the girl known as Margot began going to school to follow her father's footsteps in becoming a bard. Though a tougher girl, a bit of her ferocious mother definitely within her, she got into a few barroom brawls in the nights after classes were finished for the day to make a few quick coins. She learned the way of the blade at home, but it was in the school her father had previously learned at that she learned the power of song and prose.

But then, when she returned home, she was crestfallen to find that her father had left with nary a word. Her mother recounted that he was fine earlier that day before a letter came to him. After he had read it, his demeanor had changed. He slipped out in the night, leaving a note which read: "Forgive me, my love, but a friend is in need of me in Saltmarsh. I do not know when I shall return, but please tell Margot that I'm proud of her and to follow her heart in the world, for it was that which led me to you and her."

...And so, the tale ends, but only for now, as I've yet to find the ending proper. My search continues for him as I continue my way to Sal-- What's that face? What? Uh, yeah. I'M Merry Margot, the character from the ta-- Mary Sue!? I'll show you a Mary Sue! *Barroom tussle ensues*

To be continued...
May 25, 2019 2:19 pm
BedzoneII says:
Ket_Onwall says:
I'm suddenly tempted to abandon helping Ket out to play in this game...
Feel free, my friend!
May 25, 2019 2:31 pm
I'd love to join up, if you'd have me.
May 25, 2019 4:01 pm
For anyone who hasn't already done it, don't forget one of the requirements for being considered :-)
Quote:
Let me know why I should accept YOU into this game over any of the other applicants!
May 25, 2019 4:07 pm
runekyndig says:
...with a proven track record: I don't know what you mean by that, but I am doing my part to keep a good game from stalling.
Basically, if I haven't played with you before, there has to be someone to vouch for your maturity and consistency :-)
May 25, 2019 4:21 pm
Naatkinson says:

Requirements: Any player joining up has to be willing to join a Discord server where it's much quicker for out-of-character discussion and collaboration. You also must be an active player on GP with a proven track record....

Now that the expectations are out of the way, I will let you know how I am going to choose players. Let me know why I should accept YOU into this game over any of the other applicants!
Well, you know me. I was in your Storm Kings Thunder game a number of years ago and I've been an active player for quite a while. I have a discord account that I use regularly and would have no problem with joining a group on there. I've been playing RPG's for just over 7 years and I think I could do your game justice.
May 26, 2019 12:55 am
I like what I'm seeing so far, but I'm going to leave this up for more time to see if it garners any more interest :)
May 26, 2019 11:00 am
Green light from Sean, so I'm officially pitching to join your game!
I know and still own the original Saltmarsh modules, then again I also still have the Greyhawk folio safely stashed away somewhere too. It'll always remain my favourite setting. I've gamed with Sean and others in Pbem and PbP formats as far back as 20 years ago, so I'm trusting he'll vouch for me at his online table. My own real table experience goes further back than that. Currently in three 5e games, Aberrant, and Paranoia here, but I've probably played or DMed half of all major RPGs published since I started with D&D, and read pretty much the rest. Latest one I came across is the Blades in the Dark rpg. I'll hold off buying the new Saltmarsh book if I'm playing with you (it'll be the only 5e book I won't own ... for now :D ). Hope this doesn't make me sound too much like an old codger.
I'd like to think I know how to keep up the tempo in PbP, especially when things lull a little, and can bring on as much or as little description/narration needed to keep the action going.
Two downsides: I haven't used Discord before, just registered and fiddling with it now. I live 12 hours ahead of EST; though this hasn't interfered with PbP yet as I check in a couple of times a day.
May 26, 2019 12:56 pm
Naatkinson says:
runekyndig says:
Basically, if I haven't played with you before, there has to be someone to vouch for your maturity and consistency :-)
Hope you got a my greenlight from emsquared
May 28, 2019 2:18 pm
What level is the game starting at?

Len

May 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Hey Naat, I'd like to apply to this game. I'm definitely not better than the people on this list, and I wouldn't begrudge you if you picked them over me. In fact, I hope you pick some of the newer players - a Naatkinson-calibre game is what people imagine when they think of a great PbP game and there are some rising stars here (from what I see in on public forums) that deserve that chance. Since I'm already in a few of your games, I would be happy to give up my seat. But, if there's room I'm very curious about Saltmarsh and I love how you're doing the Greyhawk setting in our Old School game. In my plus column, I feel like I put my heart into every character I play, and I respect my DMs' and my fellow players' time. Good luck to you and your crew once you find them!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.