Chapter 3.a: Citadel Infiltration

May 29, 2019 8:57 pm
OOC:
Thread for the Infiltration Party: Verrian, Viani, Elora, Ephwrath and Willitan
After distributing equipment and potions and saying your goodbyes to the members of the distraction party, Willitan and the young man Alain whose father was taken by the Crows lead the group to the door that should lead into the basement of the citadel. Alain informs you that, to the general knowledge of the townsfolk, this door leads into a storage room in the basement that once held food and general supplies for the citadel. No one knows whether it is currently in use or not, since no one's dared go through it since the Crows came to town. It is known that none of the Crows have ever come into the tunnels via this door, which is kept barred and under surveillance at all times by the townsfolk.

It is a simple but stout door, wooden with heavy iron bands that hold it together. A stout timber is used to bar the door shut, but there does not appear to be any sort of lock on it as far as you can tell.
May 29, 2019 9:38 pm
As a precaution, Verrian inspects the door for any mundane traps before attempting to open it.

Rolls

Trap check - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

May 29, 2019 9:49 pm
There do not appear to be any traps on the door, at least on this side. As far as you can tell, the only thing keeping you from safely opening the door is the bar, which is easily lifted from this side.
May 29, 2019 10:13 pm
Viani would have preferred to go with the distraction group. Less potential to screw up, more immediate danger that she could help with. Also, Ember is with the other group and as much as the two of them fought and disagreed with each other, Viani kind of likes the wizard girl.
Nevertheless, the group seemed to agree that she would be better suited to the Infiltration team and Viani wants to show them that she can be reliable and helpful so she didn't want to argue.
In preparation, she made sure her armor is put on perfectly, her weapon is sharpened and attached to her back in a way that allows her to take it in hand very quickly, and she left all non-essential stuff she was carrying behind.
Last edited May 29, 2019 10:14 pm
May 29, 2019 10:36 pm
OOC:
I assume we have some way to know when the other group has started their actions. We will go at the appointed time.
Willitan speaks quietly.

Everyone have weapons ready. Who ever is going to be working on the locks be ready.
Try to take out the guards quickly and quietly.
Concentrate on any close to an exit or any kind if bell 9r going.
If no one minds, I will stand at the front as I can't shoot over or around you.

He readies his bow.

Could our least combat ready person please quietly remove the beam and step to the rear of the party.
May 29, 2019 11:41 pm
Viani notices that after Willitan said that, everyone turned to look at her. She's not happy about being considered not prepared for combat but, still wanting to impress them, she does what they want.
She quietly counts down from three and then opens the door as silently as possible

Rolls

Stealthy door opening - (1D20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

May 30, 2019 3:45 am
Elora wants to comfortingly pat Viani on the shoulder so she doesn't feel bad, but it's for the best, and this operation requires absolute precision. "I'll try not to use magic unless it is necessary." She has her rapier at the ready, and adjusts her hat so her vision isn't obscured with a serious look in her eyes.
May 30, 2019 4:01 am
Verrian nods and gets behind Willitan. "Viani, watch our backs. Ephwrath and Elora, behind me."
May 30, 2019 4:15 am
Let's hope team distraction is ummm distracting I guess.

Willitan opens the door and readies an arrow.
May 30, 2019 5:33 am
Ephwrath stands ready with his warhammer and buckler.
May 30, 2019 6:52 am
Viani puts a hand on the ranseur om her back and moves to the back like Verrian says. She looks very serious as she follows the others through the door
Last edited May 30, 2019 6:52 am
May 30, 2019 3:55 pm
As expected, this room was clearly once used primarily for storage: shelves dominate the space. But there's no longer much being stored here, certainly not enough to sustain much of a population in the citadel for an extended period of time. Your initial guess is that whatever supplies were here have been taken elsewhere, and not very carefully. A few boxes of random household items are lying on the ground, their meager contents spilled on the stone floor.

As you look around, you notice that the walls and floor are made of seamless stone construction. Not that this is unusual; most significant buildings were constructed at least partly with the sort of magic that could make this happen. Even someone without a lot of knowledge about building or engineering could see, however, that if the rest of the citadel is constructed in a similar way, it could withstand just about any sort of mundane attack you could think of.

Assuming the magic in its bones holds fast.

There is a single door out of this room, which is currently ajar. A bit of light from the corridor outside spills through into this room.
May 30, 2019 4:19 pm
Listening carefully, Verrian tries to determine if there are indications of someone nearby before she attempts to look through the opening on the door.

Rolls

Do you hear that? - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

May 30, 2019 4:40 pm
There is a vague sort of shuffling noise out in the corridor. Not really like someone walking, which would have a more regular cadence, but more like something sitting or lying on the ground, moving sort of aimlessly.
May 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Verrian creeps to the door and peeks through the existing opening to determine the source of the shuffling noise.

Rolls

Be vewwy quiet - (1d20+9)

(4) + 9 = 13

May 30, 2019 4:59 pm
The corridor is wide, lit with lanterns every twenty feet or so, which makes it easy to see what's outside the door. That doesn't mean it's easy to identify what's outside the door...

Sitting on the floor of the hallway, leaning against one wall in the vague shadows between lanterns, is a humanoid shape. But even from here, you can see that there's something wrong. Maybe it's the way the arms don't quite line up like you'd expect, or the strange tilt to the head, the unnatural twist to the torso. The fact that it seems to be trying to move toward the other end of the corridor from where you are -- you can see a stairway up -- by dragging itself along the floor rather than standing up and walking, is definitely more than a little eerie.
May 30, 2019 5:18 pm
Verrian watches the creature for a while in horror before realizing that her facial markings are telegraphing her emotions. Regaining control of herself, she steps back from the door and gathers the others close to whisper to them.

"There's a creature of some sort, badly misshapen. I think it might have been someone who was caught in a magical storm. It's moving away from our position toward a stairway." She gestures to indicate the direction of the stairway.
May 30, 2019 6:13 pm
Viani whispers in response: "So what do we do with it? Should I try to knock it out? I should be able to do that without killing it"
May 30, 2019 6:27 pm
"Do you think it's the monster everyone's worried about? Maybe we should observe them first, just in case?" Elora chimes in.
May 30, 2019 9:32 pm
Are the cells there, or do we have to pass this creature?
May 30, 2019 9:37 pm
You would have to pass the creature first. You're guessing the corridor is probably 80 feet long, the cells are at the opposite end from where you are, and the creature's about 30 feet away. There are two doors on the left side of the corridor, three on the right (you believe the third is the entry to the cells), all evenly spaced from one another. The corridor itself is 15 feet wide. The creature is near the first of the two doors on the left side.
May 30, 2019 9:48 pm
OOC:
Mach, Willitan hasn't seen the creature or the corridor yet.
"I think we should wait to see what the creature does. It may go up the stairs, or it might simply be pacing back and forth as it stands guard. If it's the latter, we could wait until it turns back toward the stairs and try to surprise it."
May 31, 2019 1:26 am
The longer you watch it, the more you're not sure that the creature really has any intended direction. If it does, it's having a hard time getting its twisted body to go in that direction. As a result, it slowly shamble-slides around the corridor and doesn't appear to be leaving.

As far as you can tell from this distance in the lantern light, its back is currently to you. It's stopped for a moment, tired from its efforts perhaps.
May 31, 2019 5:34 am
Elora studies these fumbled actions of the creature, trying to identify any inherent danger it might pose despite it's clumsy movement.
OOC:
Depending on the creature this might be a nature check, in which case I can't do anything, but I figure I'll roll anyway.

Rolls

Knowledge Arcana - Monster ID - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

May 31, 2019 4:01 pm
You're not able to get much information from where you are. The light's not quite good enough, and you can't get a good look at the creature to see if you recognize anything about it.
May 31, 2019 5:34 pm
"All right, Viani and I will quietly approach the creature to try and talk to it. If it tries to attack or raise an alarm, we'll subdue it. You three stand ready to provide reinforcement."

She nods to Viani and quietly steps into the corridor.

Rolls

Stealthing - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

May 31, 2019 5:39 pm
Viani follows Verrian, sneaking up to the creature as quietly as she can. She has her Ranseur in both hands and stops close enough that she can reach the creature but it can't reach her. If it makes a wrong move, she will hit its head with the blunt end of her weapon, hopefully knocking it out.
OOC:
I prepare an attack to go off when it either attacks or starts screaming.

Rolls

Stealth - (1D20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Prepared Attack (nonlethal) - (1D20-1)

(16) - 1 = 15

Damage (nonlethal) - (2D4+4)

(12) + 4 = 7

May 31, 2019 6:33 pm
As Verrian and Viani creep out the door and into the corridor, coming closer to the creature, they can hear it making a low mewling whimper. It once again tries to scuttle toward the stairs but all it can do is drag itself in that vague sort of direction. Finally, when you're about 10 feet away from it, it collapses in a heap of flesh. Its head turns your way, and in the soft glow of the lantern, you finally get a decent look at it.

This scrawny once-human has been horribly altered. Its skull is misshapen, bulging at the back with some sort of pulsing mass. One eye is in its proper place, but the other is centered in the pale forehead. It lacks a lower jaw, its tongue lolling down openly from a pink mass of flesh that was once its mouth. It has only one arm, sprouting gruesomely from its chest, and its twisted hips and flaccid legs make it only able to drag itself along the ground rather than stand.

It makes a muffled grunt, but rather than try and escape or attack, it lifts its one remaining hand -- empty -- and reaches pitifully toward you.

You take stock of its clothing and the long knife at its belt, and you are just starting to reach a realization of who this must be when it speaks in a whine. Even without the lower jaw and the benefit of a full set of teeth and lips, you recognize the voice. It's Ildemu's toady, Squeaky.

"Kill... eeeee. Leeess."
May 31, 2019 6:48 pm
Viani lowers her weapon when he sees the terrible state the mutated man is in. She looks horrified and her eyes tear up as she takes the full horror in front of her in.
She turns her weapon around, aiming the three blades at Squeaky's head. "I'm so sorry. You did not deserve this. May you find peace in Occasa's arms", she says quietly.
May 31, 2019 6:56 pm
Elora watches the scene unfold by peeking through the doorway, thankful the situation hasn't taken a turn for the worse. Witnessing Viani pull her blade makes her gasp, but she remains in position, confident Verrain will intervene if need be.
May 31, 2019 6:57 pm
"Wait! Not here. Let's do this in the storage room. Less... mess." Verrian puts her hand out to stop Viani's strike.
May 31, 2019 7:07 pm
Squatting down to speak to the man, Verrian says, "Squeaky, I'm very sorry this happened to you. No one should have to experience something like this. We're going to carry you to that unused storeroom, and that is where we will end your pain. Will you allow us to pick you up?"
May 31, 2019 7:13 pm
Squeaky's head droops as though exhausted from trying to keep it up, the rest of his body slumping in turn. "Yessss," you can hear him say.
May 31, 2019 7:16 pm
Verrian looks to Viani to see if she's willing to help carry the poor creature. She also takes a moment to surreptitiously set the spring on her wrist sheath that conceals a dagger - just in case it's needed.

Rolls

Sleight of hand - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

May 31, 2019 7:23 pm
If Squeaky noticed the movement, it doesn't seem he cares much. He makes no attempt to fight or argue.
May 31, 2019 7:26 pm
Viani attaches her weapon to her back and leans down to lift Squeaky. She looks to find some part of him where she can carry him without hurting him or touching anything too gross.
With Verrian's help, she carries him back to where they came from. Once there, she will take her ranseur back in her hand and stand in front of him. She puts one hand on the holy symbol around her neck and starts whispering a short prayer in Elven.
May 31, 2019 7:30 pm
Willitan will have an arrow ready and keep an eye on the corridor.
May 31, 2019 7:33 pm
Squatting beside him again, Verrian asks, "Squeaky, did the storm do this to you?" If he answers in the affirmative, she asks, "Why were you out in it?"
May 31, 2019 7:33 pm
What was once Squeaky is remarkably light. Between Verrian and Viani, it is easy to carry him back to the room, even if he's unable to carry any of his own weight to make it simpler on them.

When Verrian speaks, he rolls his head back to cast one eye at her. "Yes, stor," he says. It is distinctly unsettling to watch his tongue flap about in an attempt to form the right sounds without his lower jaw. "Locked out. Stuck in the courtyard... I could... eel it enter eee. Change eee. Hurt."
May 31, 2019 7:43 pm
"I'm so sorry," she says again. "I just have one more question. Where is Garand Disos?"
May 31, 2019 8:14 pm
From a more... whole human face, the wide-eyed look Squeaky gives Verrian would appear bewildered. With mismatched eyes and no facial expression to speak of, it's significantly hardly to interpret. "Who iss Garand Dissoss?"

His one hand clutches out toward whoever it might be able to reach. "Lee-ing ssoon. Ildeh-oo, the crows. Leht ee here to rrot. Lee-ing town." He reaches his hand toward a pouch at his belt, but with his mangled physiology, he can't manage to do more than rip it free and toss it at Viani's feet. "Take that. It ill o-en the restraints. In the cells."

His eyes flicker between the faces of those he recognizes. "He knows who you're here... to rescue. Ildeh-oo."

This speech seems to sap him of energy, and his frame goes limp. His breathing is shallow and labored.
May 31, 2019 8:25 pm
Verrian takes the pouch, puts a hand on his shoulder, and says a very soft thank you. Looking at Viani, she shares, Are you sure you want to be the one to do it? If Viani indicates in the affirmative, Verrian will stand and move out of the way.
May 31, 2019 8:59 pm
Viani doesn't respond. She's not looking forward to doing this. She has never killed a sentient being before - only chickens when it had been necessary. But she can't back down. If she wants to be a valuable part of this group, she will have to kill eventually. And this time, killing sounds even like a mercy. She definitely wouldn't want to live like this. It's the perfect opportunity to test herself.
She holds her ranseur in a firm grip and aims it at Squeaky's head. She closes her eyes and stabs down at the unfortunate creature, hopefully killing him without any unnecessary pain
May 31, 2019 9:09 pm
It was a mercy to him. It was a poor situation, well handled.

Willitan looks around and takes a deep breath.

Let's finish our mission with haste and this may he the only death today.
May 31, 2019 9:20 pm
Viani pulls her weapon back. She's trying not to think about the sound that her weapon made when it entered Squeaky's skull or about how it felt when her weapon broke through his flesh and bones. She forces herself to open her eyes to look at his dead body. She owes him that. It's not a pretty sight and Viani quickly turns her eyes away from him.
"Yes, we should continue. We have the keys now.", she says in a weak voice. "But we still have to be careful. He said they know we're here for Yelnar's mom so they will probably be guarding her."
May 31, 2019 9:20 pm
Verrian puts a hand on Viani's shoulder briefly, then opens the pouch that Squeaky had given them. "He said that whatever's in here would open the restraints within the cells."
May 31, 2019 9:36 pm
Inside the pouch are a few knick-knacks of significant interest only to Squeaky; a shiny red pebble, a small wooden hand-carved flute, a bit of cloth. The other item seems a bit more unusual: a piece of black metal shaped like a plus sign or X, small enough to fit in the palm. The metal isn't just black, it's so dark as to seem like it's drawing light toward itself, and curiously cold to the touch regardless of who touches it.
May 31, 2019 9:53 pm
Verrian peers at the strange metal object. "I don't know what this is, but it's strangely cold to the touch." Shrugging, she says, "All right, we'd better get started. We'll free Yelnar's mother first, and then the other prisoners as we have time."

She moves back into the corridor and finds the cell containing Yelnar's mother. She sets to work picking the lock, at least according to the information they've been given. Since the cell door is completely solid and imposing, she can't see inside without opening a small panel in the middle. She raises it slowly to look inside.
Last edited May 31, 2019 11:08 pm

Rolls

Pickin' the lock - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jun 1, 2019 4:52 am
From the tiny viewing area the panel affords, Verrian can see a windowless room with a single light source hanging motionless above the center of the room: it's a light globe like they have back in Meriava, but unlike those you've seen around town, this one is still working. There are two chairs, both occupied. In one is a middle-aged woman, streaks of grey through her dark hair. She sits stiffly in the chair, blindfolded, and her wrists bound in front of her by what appears to be a white rope.

Draped idly in the other chair, one arm flung over the back, legs stretched out with feet crossed, is Ildemu. He's looking directly at the door, a lazy smile crooked on his face. As the panel opens, he says in that casual half-drawl, "You can stop fiddling with the lock, Red. It's open."
Jun 1, 2019 4:59 am
"I knew they would be expecting us!", Viani whispers in a slightly panicked voice. She grips her weapon firmly in both hands. "Should we all go in or should I stay outside to stand guard?"
Last edited June 1, 2019 5:00 am
Jun 1, 2019 5:00 am
Containing her surprise completely, Verrian immediately shares with her compatriots, Ildemu is in the cell with Renaya. He may not realize how many of us are here. I'll let you know when I need help. Be ready.

Aloud, she says, "I'm opening the door, Ildemu." Then she does so, slowly to indicate that she has no immediate violent intent.
Jun 1, 2019 5:28 am
"Oh dear..." Elora whispers to her companions, now thoroughly concerned for their general well being.
Jun 1, 2019 5:52 am
"Be my guest," Ildemu says with a smile. He sits up a little more in his chair, though he still manages to look as though he's been casually flung into his seat like one might toss a coat; loose-limbed and utterly unconcerned. He's dressed much as you saw him the last time you met, wearing a chain shirt over clean, neatly tailored clothing, black pants tucked into black leather boots. He wears an iron ring on his the ring finger of his left hand, which you only notice because he absently twists the ring with the neighboring fingers while he talks.

"It's taken you long enough. Moon and stars, did you go all the way out to the estate and back again? Long trip, for no benefit," he says with that lopsided smile. "She was right here the whole time."
Jun 1, 2019 5:56 am
Verrian folds her arms, looking relaxed, and leans against the door frame. "No trouble. We enjoyed the countryside views. So you knew we were looking for Renaya all along?"
Jun 1, 2019 6:01 am
Willitan retreats to the hallway. He keeps an arrow at the ready in case someone comes.
Jun 1, 2019 11:47 pm
"Countryside’s a lot more pleasant now that it’s been cleaned up a bit," Ildemu agrees, gesturing calmly at the bound woman next to him.

"But no, sadly, I didn’t know what you were after until you left town. Communication out here is sometimes... unreliable. Not like that soft life you all lead back in Meriava, where everything still works like it used to."
Jun 1, 2019 11:56 pm
Verrian smiles calmly. "So my friend and I are here for this lady," she says, gesturing toward Renaya. "Perhaps we can make some sort of deal."
Jun 2, 2019 5:48 am
Ildemu rises slowly from his chair, not making any sudden movements that might provoke a response. He stands behind Renaya, hands on the back of her chair. "A deal? For her?" He shrugs, evidently unconcerned. "She's all yours. We've taken care of her, so there's no more use for her."

He lifts one eyebrow, smile angled across his dark face. "Really, I just wanted to make you and your little gang one last offer before we ride off into the sunset. Figuratively speaking."

"This... thing you're doing," he says, waving sort of vaguely. "You don't have to follow them. They cower inside their wards, they cling to the dying embers of a fire that destroyed the world." His hands grip the back of the chair more tightly. "You haven't seen what's out there, Red. If you had... you'd be begging to join us, first in line to tear down that festering monstrosity that sits like a fat, bloated spider out there in the lake."

For once, his manner becomes intense, eyes hard and words clipped as he nearly bites them off coming out from his lips.
Jun 2, 2019 5:53 am
Viani steps into the cell, her weapon raised and aimed at Ildemu, letting him see the blood on the blades.
"What are you talking about?", she demands. "And sit back down!"
OOC:
I'm preparing an attack in case he makes any sudden movements but I'm not expecting that to happen so I won't roll yet.
Jun 2, 2019 7:11 am
Verrian studies Ildemu coldly. "I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd be begging to join you in anything. What have you done to Renaya?"
Jun 3, 2019 2:31 am
"Then you're a fool," grunts Ildemu, and with that, his easy, friendly manner seems gone. He pushes Renaya's chair, and the woman tumbles forward to the ground, able to put her bound hands out enough to keep from landing painfully on her face. She doesn't struggle, doesn't try to stand, simply lays there.

"You're welcome to her. She's of no use to me, or to you at this point. But I'm not taking her with us, so go. I won't bar your departure, but don't think it'll go this easy for any of you the next time we meet up."
Jun 3, 2019 2:39 am
Verrian remains standing in the doorway. "You're leaving? Where are you going? You know, you keep telling me that we should join you, but you never want to explain what you're doing. The way it looks is that you're bullying and brutalizing people. If there's more to it, I'd like to know about it." She looks him square in the eyes. "You were waiting in here to talk to us, apparently, but you say nothing of substance and dodge every question. Why even bother talking to us?"
OOC:
Adding a diplomacy roll.
Last edited June 3, 2019 2:41 am

Rolls

Talk to me, dude - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Jun 3, 2019 4:01 am
Ildemu points a finger at Verrian and Viani in turn. "You haven't earned it yet. You made your choice, and you'll have to figure it out the hard way. The way the rest of us have had to."

The moment of anger seems passed now; the lazy smile returns to his face. "We've got other places to go. Other people to visit, other things to get cleaned up." He juts his chin toward Renaya. "Take your prize and go on your merry way. We have no more business with you."
Jun 3, 2019 4:23 am
Verrian remains in the doorway still. She speaks in a reasonable, sincere tone. "Ildemu, we didn't 'make a choice.' We had only just arrived here, and other than some frog people, you and your group were the first people we'd encountered. You were chasing a helpless frog man with what seemed to be blood in mind. Obviously, that didn't make a very positive impression on us, and your offer of recruitment was very short on information. In fact, it didn't even seem sincere - for all we could tell, it was a trap.

"And what's this about 'earning' an understanding of what's going on here? If your offer to join you was ever genuine, then why not tell us enough for us to make an informed decision, rather than forcing us to decide against it because your manner is so relentlessly combative and contemptuous?"

Rolls

Trying diplomacy again - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Jun 3, 2019 4:06 pm
Ildemu laughs, holding a hand to his chest in mock injury. "Combative? Contemptuous? Oh, on the contrary, my dear. I have been the very soul of solicitousness." He gestures at Viani and her drawn weapon with a jerk of his chin. "I'm not the one with a weapon out."

"Do you tell everyone you've just met all of your secrets, Red? I'll wager that I know more about you now than most of the people you're traveling with. In fact, I'll wager I know more about all of you than you do about each other. You're not the only one chatting with folks back inside the Wards, you know."

He spreads his hands in a sort of welcoming gesture. "But go ahead. Ask me a question. One question. I promise I'll answer it honestly. Just to show you what a wonderful human being I am."
Jun 3, 2019 5:54 pm
Hey guys, since we are just standing around, do you want to check out those other doors. I will keep an eye on the entrance.
OOC:
I am probably too short to see in the peep hole anyway.
Jun 3, 2019 6:01 pm
OOC:
Jeez, guys. Can't you wait until Viani and Verrian aren't standing in a cell with the most dangerous character we've met so far?
Jun 3, 2019 6:09 pm
OOC:
You want help yell. Otherwise we multi task. Maybe there is a friendly 40th level PALADIN locked up and wanting to help us.
Jun 3, 2019 6:10 pm
OOC:
Actually, I think the most dangerous character we've met so far was Bronk the frog
Jun 3, 2019 6:13 pm
OOC:
Okay, looks like we're on our own.
Jun 3, 2019 6:17 pm
OOC:
Kids, stop bickering and wait to loot the bodies until they're actually bodies.
Jun 3, 2019 6:24 pm
Elora is doing her absolute best to remain calm and collected what with the number of problems which have developed, covering Verrain and Viani with Willitan. "Should we? What if they need us, or it's a trap?"
Jun 3, 2019 6:24 pm
Verrian is shocked to hear Willitan suggesting that the group backing up her and Viani go do other things while they're still having a standoff with Ildemu, but she pushes that concern aside. "Yes, it was obvious that someone in Meriava has been communicating with people outside of the wards." She considers for a moment before saying, "What exactly are you doing with mages like Reyana? If you're just trying to eradicate magic users, you could just kill them instead of taking them prisoner."
Jun 3, 2019 8:46 pm
Ildemu tilts his head, staring at Verrian for a long moment as though she'd suddenly grown a horn out of her forehead. "Do you think I'm a murderer?" he asks in disbelief. He shakes his head. "I suppose you'd have no way of understanding," he murmurs under his breath. "I'm saving these people, not eradicating them." He waves a hand back behind him. "Out there... maybe not here, so close to the city, but out there... nothing is like it was. The storm? What it did to Squeaky? That's happening everywhere. And who gets blamed for that?"

He gestures at Renaya. "It's for their own good. It's for everyone's good. When no one can use these powers, then we'll all be a lot safer, and we can rebuild. Until then..."

Ildemu just shakes his head.
Jun 3, 2019 8:51 pm
Verrian doesn't take her eyes from Ildemu's. "I accept that you feel justified in what you're doing. But you didn't answer the question. What, exactly, are you doing to these mages?"
Jun 3, 2019 9:00 pm
"Focused on the details, I see," Ildemu replies, a sardonic smile scratched across his face. He nods to the white restraints around Renaya's wrists. "Those are a form of whitestone, melted down and recrystallized with a small amount of a metal ore that has anti-magic properties. Mixed in the right proportions, the material is malleable enough to be shaped into restraints. Over a period of time, usually no more than a day or two, a mage restrained in such a fashion will lose their ability to use magic. I always thought it curious that it works on all manner of mages, no matter if talent is inborn or learned. But I didn't create it, so what do I know?"

He holds up a hand. "And I'll give you this for free: there is no way to reverse it that I know of, even when the restraints are removed."
Jun 3, 2019 9:15 pm
"You're removing their ability to perform magic against their will?" Verrian is horrified and shows it. "That's a kind of mutilation. It's... it's rape."
Jun 3, 2019 9:38 pm
Viani looks unsure between Verrian and Ildemu. So it looks as if the Crows actually do know how to cure people of magic and aren't just killing them. Her grip on the weapon becomes unsure and she lowers it slightly but still keeps it ready to attack if she feels the need to.
"Does it... does it hurt them?", she asks in a quiet, shaky voice.
Jun 3, 2019 9:53 pm
"Why don't you ask Renaya how it feels?" Verrian says harshly. "She's the recent victim of the violation, not him."
Jun 3, 2019 10:57 pm
Ephwrath, who’s been waiting just outside behind Verrian whispers to her, "Will he allow me to examine Renaya to make sure she’s alright?"
Last edited June 3, 2019 10:58 pm
Jun 3, 2019 11:14 pm
Ildemu clicks his tongue with a disapproving shake of his head. "So dramatic. Sometimes sacrifices must be made. Or taken. It all works out the same in the end. If it hurts them, I'm not aware of it."

He gestures to Renaya once more. "As I've said, she's no longer of any use to us. Squeaky had a piece of the metal that goes into the material the restraints are made of. Touch it to them, and they'll fall apart and free her."

He folds his hands, resting them near his waist. "Are we done here? I've other business to attend to, so if you wouldn't mind my departing..." he says, trailing off and nodding toward the open door.
Jun 3, 2019 11:19 pm
Shaking her head, Verrian says, "No, we're not done here yet. Viani, keep him covered." She steps forward and uses the odd metal key Squeaky had given them to release Renaya's restraints and then removes the blindfold. She helps the woman to her feet. "I'm going to have our cleric look her over before we let you go anywhere."
Jun 3, 2019 11:30 pm
Ildemu rolls his eyes ceilingward and sighs. "Very well. I thought we could do this the polite, civilized way, but if I must be rude, so be it."

"I won't say it's exactly been a pleasure speaking with you all again, but it's certainly been enlightening. If you keep on your noble mission, I'm sure we'll encounter each other again," he says, offering a flat, forced smile. He takes hold of the iron ring he wears and gives it a full turn around his finger.
OOC:
Viani, if you wish, you're welcome to take an attack of opportunity before whatever the ring does takes effect.
Jun 3, 2019 11:38 pm
Renaya, her hands freed and blindfold removed, settles back to her knees. She looks from Verrian to Viani to Ildemu, only showing emotion when she sees that last face. She fixes Ildemu with a flat stare, but doesn't appear angry, necessarily. Just... serious, focused, and intense. She absently rubs at her wrists, though there's no sign that they physically harmed her in any way.

"If I thought I stood a chance of killing you with my bare hands, I would rip your throat out myself," she says in a low, harsh whisper. "You and your ilk will pay dearly. For everything you've done to me and my people. You have stolen my soul, Ildemu."

As she speaks, her words become more strained, her body more tense, to the point where she is actually trembling.
Jun 4, 2019 4:17 am
OOC:
Previous post edited. It didn't ring true, or get important points across.
Jun 4, 2019 5:14 am
Viani lowers her weapon, unsure on how to act anymore at all. She watches Verrian and Ephwrath take care of Renaya but doesn't do anything herself. If Ildemu tries to leave, she won't even stop him
Jun 4, 2019 5:21 am
With a twist of the ring, a line of light appears behind him, expanding slightly wider than he is. He makes a slight half bow, then steps into the light. As soon as he does so, there's a brief flash and the line of light winks back out of existence. He is gone.
Jun 4, 2019 3:24 pm
Verrian looks at Viani, shocked that she'd made no effort to attack Ildemu when she'd had a chance, but says nothing. She helps Renaya out of the cell.

"Renaya," she says gently, "my name is Verrian of Cyr. We're here with your son, Yelnar. This is Ephwrath, our cleric."
Jun 4, 2019 4:50 pm
Viani silently reattaches her weapon to the back holster. From what Ildemu said, it does not seem like they should expect to be attacked by the Crows.
"We should get out of here and meet up with our allies. I hope they didn't get into too much trouble while we were here.", she says. "Did we ever think of a signal to show that we are done here and the distraction team can retreat?"
OOC:
Moon, what is Verrian doing with the restraints and key?
78, what would be the normal way of honoring/burying the dead for Occasa? And would it be possible for Viani to carry Squeaky out of here?
Jun 4, 2019 4:54 pm
OOC:
Good question. I'll say burial during an hour when the moon is out, day or night. I suspect there would be a superstition against burying the dead during a new moon or before moonrise. Yes, you can carry Squeaky out pretty easily.
Jun 4, 2019 4:55 pm
Verrian's facial markings are burning scarlet as she stuffs the vile restraints and key into her backpack. "We should check Squeaky's body to see if he has one of those rings," she says. She seems to be burning from within with a deep, boiling rage.
Jun 4, 2019 5:08 pm
"I'm going to take him with us. He deserves a proper burial, under the moon. But of course we should search him first."
Jun 4, 2019 5:24 pm
Can we take a look at these other cells now?
There may be other prisoners.
Jun 4, 2019 5:43 pm
As you go to the other cells and look inside, you find that they are all empty. In fact, they all appear as though they have been empty for years, judging by the dust and stagnant air.
Jun 4, 2019 8:06 pm
Now that the danger has passed, Elora helps Willitan secure the location before checking on her teammates. "That was too close, how could he have predicted us?"
Jun 4, 2019 10:01 pm
"I have no idea," Verrian snarls, though it's clear that her anger isn't directed at Elora. Glancing to see that Ephwrath is taking a look at Renaya, she adds, "I'm going to go check Squeaky for one of those rings." She returns to the storeroom and looks for a ring like the one Ildemu used to teleport away.
Jun 4, 2019 10:05 pm
"Same way he escaped", Viani says to Elora. "Magic"
Jun 5, 2019 12:05 am
Ephwrath attends to Renaya, offering healing as needed and checking her for any injuries or other conditions.

"I'm here to help. Are you experiencing any pain? Can you tell me what they did to you?" he asks of her.

Rolls

Heal check on Renaya - (1d20+8)

(16) + 8 = 24

Jun 5, 2019 4:48 am
Renaya shakes her head once, sharply. "Nothing you can heal," she replies flatly, and then her features soften somewhat. "I apologize. It has been some time since anyone offered kindness."

She draws in a long, slow breath, and lets it out again before she continues. "They besieged the keep. We'd heard about the takeover of the citadel, but we didn't think they had the strength or will to take the fight to us out in the country. But when they arrived, they had something that dulled our magic. And without my spells..."

Her eyes go hollow for a moment, and her head bows. "I am essentially useless," she says in a strained voice.

Ephwrath checks her over for physical ailments. She seems physically healthy, if tired and a little undernourished.
Jun 5, 2019 5:05 am
No one is useless while they live. Your wisdom will be invaluable and you have knowledge that you can impart.
Jun 5, 2019 5:10 am
"Don't say that!" Elora rushes to Renaya's side, cautiously placing a hand on her shoulder in comfort. "Willitan is right, and it's bad to harbor feelings of self-loathing."
Jun 6, 2019 12:07 am
Maybe we should discuss this somewhere and somewhen else.
Should we go back to the tunnels and reunite with the distracters?
Jun 6, 2019 12:16 am
Verrian nods, still looking angry. "There's nothing more to be accomplished here. We'll return to the tunnels. If I can get within 60 feet of at least one of the members of the other team, I can use telepathy to tell them we've succeeded."
Jun 6, 2019 6:08 am
"Willitan, you know these tunnels better than we do. Can you lead us to the exit that the other group has most likely taken? We have to tell them to retreat before any of them get hurt."
Last edited June 6, 2019 6:08 am
Jun 6, 2019 6:39 am
Between our guides and I we should get there fairly soon. Follow me.
Be sure to bar the entrance to make it difficult if the decide to follow us
Jun 6, 2019 7:43 am
OOC:
Verrian should be able to jam the lock to give us some time to escape. It's a Disable Device check. Unless we want to collapse the cave, that's all I can think of. Maybe move a shelf from the storage room in front of the door as well
Jun 6, 2019 11:59 am
OOC:
Ah. Another Plot Cabinet :D
Jun 6, 2019 5:25 pm
"Everyone go through. I'll try to jam the lock."

Rolls

Jammin' the lock, baby - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jun 6, 2019 5:45 pm
Verrian pokes and prods around at the lock, and after a time hears a satisfying clunk. The lock seems to be disabled now.
Jun 6, 2019 6:56 pm
Verrian turns to the others. "The lock is jammed. Let's go."
Jun 7, 2019 4:41 am
OOC:
Locking this thread to return to the main chapter thread.

Thread locked