Chapter 3.b.: Distraction

May 29, 2019 9:03 pm
OOC:
Thread for the Distraction party: Yelnar, Krav and Ember. Froak will act as an NPC lookout as necessary, but will not be RPed on any consistent basis.
As you listen at the bottom of the stairs, you can hear that the storm has blown through during the time you developed your plan of attack. Froak has already taken a peek outside and verifies that as far as he can tell, there is no longer any danger. It appears to have passed overhead to the south (incidentally, not the direction Willitan's pony was left in; he might be okay).

It doesn't appear that anyone from the citadel has ventured outside just yet; it might be a good time to sneak out and find your way to a safe spot to start your distraction from. In speaking with Greybeard, you have memorized a rough map of where convenient tunnel entrances are located. The plan, as you have discussed so far, is to use the tunnels as a getaway route when needed, to pop up at different places around town to create as much of a disruption as possible.
May 30, 2019 12:00 am
"I have an idea for a big distraction with this potion if we need it, but I don't many other tricks up my sleeve - I figure I'm most likely to be acting as a rearguard if we need it to retreat into the tunnels. What tricks do you have up your sleeves?"

Yelnar seems nervous, uncertain, yet eager to be on with this.
May 30, 2019 2:19 am
I have my meteors. I can send ice, too. And I've been told I'm annoying.

Ember winks.
May 30, 2019 2:39 am
Yelnar deadpans "Come on, we're a distraction team - if we unleash your annoyingness on them there won't be any Crows left for the stealth team to sneak past, and all of our planning will go for nothing"

He shares the idea of giant Yelnar bringing down meteors on command as his idea for full intimidation distraction as a last resort.
May 30, 2019 11:47 am
OOC:
I'm picturing Princess Bride :D
Ember chuckles at Yelnar's teasing, and her eyes light up at his suggestion.

That could work! I've got it! I'll come screaming out of the alleys, pretending there's someone chasing me, cuz I may not be sneaky, but I can lie. Maybe I stole something from you. She winks. And then you two chase me out. The argument that follows would surely buy us some time. And if not, well, Krav, you and I can help the Big Guy look like an actual Big Guy! I just wouldn't want to start with giant hellfire, because I don't know if we can all take down all of these guys if we make it too interesting.
Last edited May 30, 2019 11:48 am
May 31, 2019 1:57 pm
Yelnar and Ember find some spots near tunnel entrances where they can throw some rocks at the crows then retreat into the tunnels, meeting up again before moving to a different spot.

The goal is to provide enough distraction to make them focus externally, without presenting enough threat to make them turtle up in their fortifications.
May 31, 2019 5:39 pm
After tossing rocks for a while, Ember is anxious. They don't really seem to be doing much. She crushes a little charcoal on the ground. She rubs some on her face and clothing, then mixes a little of what's left with oil and smears it over her burns so they look gross and pus-covered, more like a more recent wound. She quickly lights the edges of her hair on fire, patting them out before they can burn too far, but making her smell like, well, like burning hair.

She drinks a mage armor potion and winks at Yelnar and Krav.

Keep those other potions ready, eh?

And hops off with a smile. As she approaches the Citadel, however, she crinkles her posture and starts crying.

Help! Please! Anyone! The storm is over, please! I was stuck outside! I need help! Help!

Rolls

Bluff - a harmless damsel in distress +8 - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

May 31, 2019 6:11 pm
"Who the bleedin' hell are you? You must be eighteen kinds of stupid to be out on a morning like this!" comes a deep, drawling male voice from behind the gate. Ember is still a good forty feet from the gate when the voice is heard. "Ain't you never seen a storm before, girl?"

There's a pause before he continues. "But I can't let you in. Boss's orders."

Another short pause, and he adds, "Hang on."

There's a bit of a scuffling sound behind the gate, and one side of it creaks open. A young, wiry fellow with long blond hair pokes his head and shoulders out around the edge and looks to see if anyone's about to ambush him. Seeing only the poor, bedraggled girl, he comes the rest of the way out, leaving the gate cracked just a bit. "I... I can't do nothin' for ya. The storms, they're permanent," he says with a sympathetic look on his face. "This one, I hear it got one of ours too. Not a bleedin' thing we can do."

Sympathetic or not, he stays a safe distance away from Ember.

Rolls

Sense motive

May 31, 2019 6:26 pm
Ember looks at the dirt a bit and sniffles.

I know you can't. And I wasn't trying to. I was hunting. I couldn't run fast enough.

She pauses to stifle a sob, then looks up and makes eye contact with the blonde.

I just....please. My mother needs to know. Can you please help me find her? You don't need to walk near me. I just...I can't do it by myself. I don't know where she went. We aren't from around here.

She sniffles again and nods, as if she's afraid she already knows his answer. "Um, I'm Emily. My friends call me Em."
OOC:
Edit: AK! The first roll I typed "1d8+20" - please disregard!
Last edited May 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Rolls

Bluff: Humanity and Guilt +8 - (1d8+20)

(1) + 20 = 21

REAL Humanity and Guilt: Bluff +8 - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

May 31, 2019 7:03 pm
The blonde young man, who can't be much older than Ember, looks over his shoulder at the gate.

"I... can't leave the gate. They'll... well, you don't wanna know what they'll do. Just that I don't want it to happen to me," he says. "Is... your ma in the tunnels? They always told us to leave the tunnels alone, leave you all be."

He takes another couple of steps toward Ember. "Ain't there an entrance just a couple of buildings down from here?" he says, pointing off in completely the wrong direction. You know from Greybeard that there are no tunnel entrances in that direction.

Rolls

Sense motive

May 31, 2019 7:14 pm
I....I didn't know there were tunnels. I wish I had. I don't think Mother would know either.
She winces in pain. She's got a couple contingency plans still, and this could help with either of them.
OOC:
I'm rolling sense motive to determine the best way to get him on my side.

Rolls

Bluff continues - clueless and helpless +8 - (1d20+8)

(10) + 8 = 18

Sense Motive - reach him - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

May 31, 2019 9:50 pm
"Are you... new here? I thought all the townies had gone below ground," says the blonde, his eyes narrowing as he studies Ember. The moment of suspicion passes. "Well, it ain't safe 'round here anyway. Other places lots more friendly on down the road. At least, they used to be."

He puts his hand on the hilt of the shortsword at his waist. "Ain't no place for a girl and her ma, here, anyway. You'd best be movin' along. I hope you find her, but I can't be helpin'. Got too much packin' up to do."

He starts to edge back toward the citadel gates.

Rolls

Sense motive

May 31, 2019 10:25 pm
This isn’t working.

You think I haven’t noticed??

Ember staggers back toward the fake tunnels, breathing heavily.

I just....Thank you.....so much.....for listening to me. I....I don’t feel.......I don’t feel........

She lets out an agonized scream and collapses to the ground. A column of meteors bursts forth in front of where she falls.

Rolls

Bluff - Distraction 2: Meteor Booglaloo +8 - (1d20+8)

(16) + 8 = 24

May 31, 2019 10:38 pm
The blonde lets out a yelp, staggering back against the gate as Ember seemingly explodes into a column of meteoric fire.

"Orien's beard!" he stammers out. He opens the gate and yells out to someone (or someones) unseen inside. "Hey... um... I think we've got one out here! One of... them! She just BLEW UP! Boom! Go get Jacira, she's going to want to see this!"
May 31, 2019 10:58 pm
Seeing that now is probably a good time to start running to draw people out of the Keep, Yelnar walks in. He is carrying his most intimidating looking weapon, a wicked looking Battleaxe.

He strides into the area and yells "EMILY! MY VENGEANCE IS AT HAND! NOT EVEN THE STORM WILL STOP ME! YOU AND YOUR MOTHER WILL DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH AT MY HANDS!"

Yelnar begins striding towards Ember as menacingly as he is able.

Rolls

Intimidate - (1d20-1)

(7) - 1 = 6

May 31, 2019 11:10 pm
From the utterly flummoxed look on the poor guard's face, he is completely at a loss as to how to take this newest twist in what's become a very stressful morning.

"What the..." he stammers, and tentatively draws his shortsword. He calls back to his comrades inside again, "Okay, everyone get out here... there's... well. I think you're going to just need to see it for yourself."

He advances away from the gate, and starts toward Yelnar. "Hey! You... you leave her alone! She ain't done nothin' to you!"

He looks down at his weapon, back at Yelnar's weapon, and decides holding his ground a safe distance away is the better part of valor while he waits for reinforcements.
May 31, 2019 11:15 pm
Yelnar says, in as deep a voice as he can manage. "Crawl back into your castle worm! I have suffered greatly at the hands of this one, and you will not stand between me and my vengeance!"

He continues striding towards Ember. hoping she will bolt so that he can "chase" her.
May 31, 2019 11:24 pm
While she’s on the ground, Ember bites the inside of her cheek. She weakly gets to her feet and spits out blood.

"You.....YOU!!! The demon in the market, in my dream! You’re the one who trapped me in the storm! Gods save me!!!"

She’s trying to smooth over the story, and she hopes this works. She runs weakly, but as quickly as she can afford to, crying madly and shouting improvised threads of prayers. She makes it a point to run away from the actual tunnel entrances.
Last edited May 31, 2019 11:25 pm

Rolls

Bluff +8 : damsel in distress - DAMSEL IN DISTRESS!!! - (1d20+8)

(12) + 8 = 20

May 31, 2019 11:30 pm
Two other mercenary types come out from the gates, neither of them familiar, neither of them particularly intimidating. They come on to the scene right as Ember launches into her desperate pleas. One shouts, "Hey! Leave her alone, yeah? Or we’ll make you!"

Tough words, but the uncertainty in his voice makes it far less intimidating than he’d probably like. Still, he nudges his two partners and they head as a group toward Yelnar, advancing carefully but with purpose.
May 31, 2019 11:36 pm
"Bwahahaha, yes, and its still less than you deserved! The impurity of your blood must be cleansed, but not before you suffer an eternity of torment at my hands"

He breaks into a trot after saying this.
load next

Thread locked