Chapter 3.b.: Distraction

load previous
Jun 1, 2019 12:15 am
Ember makes a point to stumble and trip a couple times to help sell how pathetic she is. At this point she’s a blubbering mess.

And she’s actually kind of enjoying it.
Jun 1, 2019 5:07 am
The three guards start moving more quickly toward the show, weapons drawn now. From the open gate of the citadel, a familiar face appears. It's the Angry Woman from your initial meeting with the Crows.

"Torm!" she yells toward the guards. "What the hell are you..."

Suddenly, her body shudders, like her skin is crawling. She's looking directly at Ember with a hard, flat expression.
Jun 1, 2019 9:22 am
Yelnar continues his dogged but very slow pursuit of Ember. He notices the Angry Woman’s reaction and says "Yes, you can see it too! The abomination must be purged!

Yelnar is hoping some of them overtake him so he can attack them from behind.
Jun 1, 2019 12:40 pm
It’s not my fault! Ember screams. I was stuck in the storm!
Jun 1, 2019 11:23 pm
The woman raises her heavy mace in one hand and begins to stalk forward. "Kill the big one. Leave me the girl," she says to the guards. "We’ve got plans for her."
OOC:
The guards are still about 40’ away from either of you. Jacira, the angry woman, is about 80’ away. You have time to run if you wish; none of them appear to be carrying ranged weapons.
Jun 1, 2019 11:56 pm
Ember takes a deep breath, trying to make the most of her brief moments to act.

Yelnar, she mutters, grabbing his hand. He’d recognize the protection cantrip if anyone has cast it on him before. She runs her had through her hair, casting it on herself as well

Run.

She fires her crossbow at Jacira and sprints.

Noticing the pathetic shot out of the corner of her eye, she groans and looks skyward.

You made me like this, Ocassa! What do you want??
Last edited June 1, 2019 11:59 pm

Rolls

Crossbow +2 - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Hopefully damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Diplomacy +4 : really hard praying - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Jun 2, 2019 12:11 am
OOC:
Better roll me some initiative. :)
Jun 2, 2019 12:29 am
OOC:
Excuse you I am fleeing.

Rolls

Initiative I’m so sorry Yelnar... +2 - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jun 2, 2019 8:03 am
Hearing that the jig is up, Yelnar will run, heading for the nearest tunnel entrance, where they should be able to bottleneck the enemy. Yelnar figures now the sniffer has got wind of Ember they will definitely pursue, so this is likely as much distraction as they'll manage.

Being slower than Ember because of his armour, Yelnar will double move. If they make a narrow tunnel entrance he'll turn and fight if the Crows pursue.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jun 3, 2019 2:20 am
OOC:
Initiative for bad guys.

Jacira will go first, then Ember and Yelnar, then the guards.
Jacira breaks into an easy loping trot as she heads toward Ember, carrying her mace low and ready. Yelnar is an afterthought, but Ember... Jacira has her eyes fixed with an intensity that would be frightening even if you didn't know anything about her.
OOC:
She ends her turn 20' away from Yelnar, 40' from Ember. I'm guessing here, but that seems legit.

Rolls

Jacira - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Guards - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jun 3, 2019 2:54 am
Ember takes a few steps back, knowing any damage she can do before the woman closes range will be vital.

That was a dumb prayer. Ocassa isn’t listening. But you know what she gave you. Use it.

She’s not close enough.

Of course she is. For the big one.

I need to make sure I can’t miss.

She looks back at Jacira and fires again.
OOC:
I can walk and do an attack, right? If so, this stretches us to a max of 70 feet. I’ll take any distance I can.

Rolls

Sense Motive - How screwed am I? +2 - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Attack +2 - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Damage hopefully - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Jun 3, 2019 5:45 am
Yelnar was now regretting bringing this ostentatious Battleaxe instead of his more familiar Bardiche. He moved again away from the Crows, but knew he would not be able to put enough ground between them and him this time. He turned, and prepared to take them on, readying himself to cut the first one that came close down.
OOC:
I was under the impression Jecinda was to move next, but you may be wanting to make things more efficient by posting for all of the villains at once. If he is not engaged by Jecinda, Yelnar moves another full move away, then turns and readies his action to attack the first enemy to come close enough to hit. If he is engaged by Jecinda but not harmed, he will 5' step back then move away. If Jecinda acts and bypasses him to go after Ember, he will charge her - I will use the same rolls to be either the prepared action or the charge - just add +2 to athe attack roll if it is a charge.

So 12 to hit normally, 14 if it is a charge (and in that case I'd take a -2 AC for the next turn)
Last edited June 3, 2019 5:46 am

Rolls

Attack with Ludicrous Speed Battleaxe! - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

On a hit, I shall damage zem! - (1d12+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Jun 3, 2019 4:14 pm
OOC:
Jacira went first in initiative order, then you and Ember, and then the guards will go. So based on your flow chart there, I'm going to say that you're making a full move to stay with and protect Ember.
As Yelnar and Ember move past the building that they first exited the tunnels from, three arrows come sailing from the broken-out window at Jacira.

One arrow is faster than the others, and takes Jacira in the shoulder. A voice from the building shouts, "That's for Alia! That's for my WIFE, you cold-blooded harpy!"

The other takes her in the leg, and causes her to stumble back and growl in pain. A ragged cheer can be heard from inside the building. She's bleeding badly, but she still stands. If anything, she looks even more furious now, her lips drawn back in an animal snarl. There's little thought left in her wide eyes, her pupils dilated so far her eyes appear black.

Or... maybe they are black.

Rolls

Arrow 1 (Greybeard) - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Arrow 2 (Townsfolk archer 1) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Arrow 3 (Townsfolk archer 2) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Greybeard arrow damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Townsfolk archer 2 damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Jun 3, 2019 4:42 pm
The guards run toward Yelnar. As intimidating as the big guy must be, it seems they’re more afraid of Jacira. The blonde boy that Ember was chatting up earlier is the first to come within the axe’s range, which proves to be his undoing.

As he raises his sword arm to slash at Yelnar, the axe takes him in the side and bites deep through his meager leather armor. Blood spills from his body, and he crumples to the ground with a confused look on his face.

The others pause, their companion’s sudden death making them far less certain about moving in. They settle into defensive stances and do not press the attack. "Come on, just let her have the girl. Everyone will be better off," one of them says to Yelnar, pleading.
Jun 3, 2019 5:53 pm
Yeah, well maybe I'd be more willing to come quietly if I knew how you were going to kill me.

She's a little saddened by the blonde's death. He was almost a decent human being.

What's wrong with her?

Ember catches Jacira's vision. Black eyes. Not a good sign in her family. Probably not a good sign here, either. Her tone softens, though her skin prickles with energy.

............What's wrong with her?

She takes a single step forward. Not enough that she can't run. But enough that she can still fire.

Take the shot.
Just a minute. I'll need to aim.
You know what shot I mean.

What did they do to you? That's magic in your eyes. I thought your kind hated magic.

Rolls

Diplomacy +4 - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jun 3, 2019 7:49 pm
Krav remains inside the lower level of the building where we first exited the tunnels. Observing Ember and Yelnar's actions, he places Shiloh on the floor near his feet and draws his scimitar and shield. Kneeling down near Shiloh he looks as if he is waiting. Waiting for the right moment to act.
OOC:
I'm gonna ready a standard action here. I can see that Ember is trying to talk to this woman, but things are already starting to look pretty hectic. If any hostile action is taken toward my comrades, I'll be using my Fecund Familiar ability. If you want to be surprised, don't look that up.
Jun 3, 2019 8:33 pm
If Jacira even hears what Ember is saying to her, she shows no sign of it. Raising her mace, she breaks into a run -- strangely unhindered by the arrow in her thigh -- and charges.
OOC:
Pausing here to let Krav post.
Jun 3, 2019 8:59 pm
Krav immediately leans against the wall near the door frame, where his is hopefully out of sight. Looking down at Shiloh he says in a quiet voice, Veladim zeh shemaKHAH!

Shiloh looks up at Krav, and then takes a step forward, leaving behind a perfect duplicate of himself. Then both Shilohs step forward again, and leave another set of duplicates of themselves. Then the Shiloh duplicates suddenly burst forward, and with every step the number of rats keep growing and growing until a squirming, roiling mass of hundreds of rats explode out of the doorway of the building, flashing their teeth menacingly, claws scratching at everything in their path, as if overcome by desperate and overwhelming hunger!

As the mass of creatures pours out into the open area, Krav yells out "GET INSIDE!"
Jun 3, 2019 9:19 pm
Yelnar chugs the Enlarge Person potion, and starts to say "Surrender your....

Then he notices the swarm of rats heading his way.

Aaaah! The rodent tide has found me!

Giant Yelnar then starts running away from the rats.
OOC:
Yelnar moves closer to Jacinda
Jun 4, 2019 4:29 pm
Not much has been able to break through Jacira's single-minded purpose of reaching Ember, but a sudden wave of skittering, squeaking rodents does the trick. They surround her, climbing up her legs and blanket her in furry, gnawing terror.

She shrieks, dropping her mace as she tries vainly to bat the animals away. But for everyone she dislodges, it takes a bit of flesh with it, and another just arrives to take its place. Before long, she's crumpling to the ground, the fight slowly leaving her body until she lies motionless on the ground.

The guards turn, lowering their weapons as they stare in horror at what's just happened to their leader. "Forget this," says one, his voice nearly over the edge of panic. "I'm not sticking around for this!" He runs off, in as opposite a direction of the rats and the citadel both as he can find. His companion, walking away backward, eyes wide, turns and follows suit. Soon, they're both gone.
load next

Thread locked