Chapter 3.b.: Distraction

load previous
Jun 4, 2019 4:44 pm
..............Krav?
Jun 4, 2019 6:09 pm
Krav sheathes his scimitar, replaces his shield onto his back, and solemnly steps into the doorway doorway. As he does, the rats all begin to disperse into the surrounding foliage, until there is only one remaining. Shiloh runs back to Krav, climbs up his leg, and tucks himself back into the collar/lapel area of his armor.

Krav looks down at what little remains of Jacira. We should go. Those guards are surely going to report what they've seen, he says with a somber look on his face. It's hard to determine if he's saddened by or indifferent to the carnage that just happened. After a moment of silence he turns away and steps back into the building.
Jun 4, 2019 6:20 pm
Ember steps to Jacira's body, more questions now than answers.

But what about the others? And do they have Yelnar's mom? And what were they going to do to me? And how can you do that?
Last edited June 4, 2019 6:21 pm

Rolls

Search the bodies (and blondie) +0 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jun 4, 2019 7:08 pm
The blonde guard has almost nothing of value on him. The shortsword's decent enough, but his leather armor is patchwork at best. He carries in one pocket a small, faded portrait (equivalent to a wallet-sized photograph) of a young woman, probably a couple years younger than he is. The facial features suggest that it must have been his sister. You know that these sorts of portraits were easy enough to come by in pre-War years for people of middle class or higher status, produced by magic.

Jacira carries nothing of value you can find. Her mace is nearby where she dropped it, but even her armor and clothing have suffered the ill effects of the rat swarm. Her eyes have returned to their normal color, if you check that. She seems oddly at peace, even for the unpleasant manner of her demise.
Jun 5, 2019 12:05 pm
With the immediate threat ended, Yelnar's thoughts turn to his mother.

"I guess we better go do some more distracting."

He heads back towards the keep, looking to distract more folks.
Jun 5, 2019 2:35 pm
Krav momentarily steps back out of the building and begins to follow Yelnar. Yes, sorry about that. I underestimated Shiloh's voracity, I expected that to take much longer.

He glances down again once more at the remains of Jacira. Anything of significance Ember?
Jun 5, 2019 2:48 pm
I.....can't see anything other than weapons.

Pretty, isn't it?
Shut up.

She's clearly bothered that she hasn't found any answers.

Are you sure, Yelnar? Maybe they're going back? We could loop around through the tunnels to try to catch them. I think the people out front will recognize us now.
Jun 5, 2019 11:45 pm
"They might recognise us, but I think with that one gone they’ll have no spine and probably just watch us from behind the walls so that they’re not watching back in the keep.

Yelnar points to what’s left of Jacinda as he says that one.
OOC:
Until he gets some sort of confirmation that infiltration team has finished the mission, he’ll keep trying to distract, as that’s the only way he’s got of helping Mum right now
Jun 6, 2019 5:15 pm
As the distraction group talks about their next move, they notice that Jacira's body is beginning to decompose. Not rot, but dry out. You can watch the process unfold right in front of you. Her cheeks grown sunken, her hair becomes brittle and crumbles away, the rest of her body beneath her clothing starts to shrink. At the pace it's going, you'd guess that if you want to do any sort of investigation on her remains, you have maybe a minute at most before she turns to dust completely.
Jun 6, 2019 5:19 pm
Ember drops to her knees and desperately tries to figure out what the hell is going on.

These freaks are using magic to fight magic......

Rolls

Perception +1 now yay - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Knowledge (Arcana) +5 maybe? - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Jun 6, 2019 5:50 pm
Ember gets a sense that whatever magic or process gave Jacira the ability to sense the use of magic drew significantly on her life force. Now that she's dead, whatever transformation it induced in her seems to be sucking the remains of her body dry. It might explain the itching sensation she complained of, as though it was a constant fight to keep it from consuming her alive.

As Ember watches, Jacira's skin begins to crumble. There is little time left to study her.
OOC:
Going to offer the others an opportunity to do something as well. Just in case. :)
Jun 6, 2019 5:55 pm
Interesting.

Krav makes a mental note of the apparent hypocrisy, and also tries to figure out what the hell is going on.
OOC:
I'm assuming my knowledges dont apply, but rolling anway!

Rolls

Knowledge Nature - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Knowledge Geography - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jun 6, 2019 6:00 pm
Ember steps back, appalled, making room for Krav.

It was a shell. They used her body as a shell. So hell-bent on finding mages that they were willing to burn her, too.

Her face falls.

Yelnar.....we need to get back to the tunnels. I don't have a good feeling about your mom....

She doesn't move yet, however.
[ +- ] staring
Jun 6, 2019 10:17 pm
Yelnar looks at what’s happening with rising horror. When Ember talks about his Mother, it hits him like a lightning bolt. He nods, unable to speak, and runs towards whichever tunnel entrance allows him to get back faster.
Jun 7, 2019 4:36 am
OOC:
Locking this thread to return to the main chapter thread.

Thread locked