Part 2: Phandalin

load previous
Nov 16, 2015 4:03 pm
Kama jerks a thumb over his shoulder. "Found some stuff of yours in a goblin cave," he says. "We brought what we could, but the rest is still there." He seems ready to say more, but thinks he ought to wait and gauge her reactions before offering the goblins as guides to the hideout.
Nov 16, 2015 4:08 pm
"What?! You found our missing goods? she shouts before rushing to see what you've retrieved. After looking it over she turns back to you, "Thank you so much! This shipment is a week late, and we had no clues as to where it went. Where are the rest of them?"

"Oh you must have something for your service," she says, and without waiting for an answer she rushes to the back room, and returns a minute later with a bulging pouch which contains 50 GP, "This is all yours if you can tell me where the rest of the supplies are."

She doesn't even really notice the goblins that are standing in the corner, trying to shield themselves from view behind Kama.
Nov 16, 2015 4:15 pm
Reassured that this human woman doesn't seem to be alarmed about dealing with weird humanoids like the party, Wish adds: "There's a cave off of the Triboar Trail that contains the rest of the supplies. We brought what we could, after breaking up a gang of goblins who were attacking travelers and seizing their goods. These goblins have seen the error of their ways and could show you the way. We also blazed the trees at that point, so you could send someone with a wagon to get them at first light."
Nov 16, 2015 4:16 pm
"Fizbin and his pals can help you with that," says Kama, casually side-stepping to reveal the small goblins. He turns slightly and says, mostly for the goblins' benefit, "I'm sure they will be on their best behavior."
Nov 16, 2015 4:35 pm
Her eyes narrow when she finally notices the goblins, she walks up to them, snarling angrily, "So, it was you little bastards that stole our supplies? You're gonna take me to where they are at, with no dirty tricks, or I swear that you will live only long enough to regret crossing me!"

She is right in front of them at this point and they are cowering before her. She suddenly turns around, smiles and winks at the party, and calls to the back room for someone to come take the goblins and lock them up until she can have them guide her to the cave. She then hands the bag of coins to Kama and thanks you all once again.

"Is there anything that I could help you with? I have a variety of weapons and armor that might assist in whatever you're trying to accomplish here in town."

Everyone can now purchase weapons and armor (at 10% off!). Once you've finished your purchases it will be getting dark. Just let me know what you want to do for sleeping arrangements
Nov 16, 2015 4:49 pm
"Case of quarrels, please," says Kama, honoring Hollow's request. "And some whetstones." The half-orc transfers the coin purse to Wish, wordlessly making him the party's de-facto treasurer.

While shopping, Kama thinks to ask Linene about the area. "I don't suppose you happen to know of an old castle somewhere in the northeast, either in or near Neverwinter Woods?"

OOC: Kama will spend some of his earnings on ale and party it up at the Inn of Eternal Rest. He'll be interested in companionship, if available, but only until it's time to sleep. It's been a long day.

OOC Edit: I meant Stonehill Inn. It really has been a long day.
Last edited November 16, 2015 5:05 pm
Nov 16, 2015 4:59 pm
She looks confused, "A castle, in Neverwinter Wood? Never heard of one, but there's a lot of stuff in there that I haven't heard of."

Ale costs 4 cp per mug or 2 sp per gallon.
20 crossbow bolts will cost 9 sp
Whetstones will cost 1 cp each
I am going to amend my costs for a day's stay to 5 sp and a meal to 3 sp. I wasn't aware that they had those prices in the PHB!
Inn of Eternal Rest? Wrong game ;)
Nov 16, 2015 5:13 pm
As he shops for supplies, Wish will make conversation.

"Have you had a lot of trouble like these missing shipments here in Phandalin?"

Then, after hearing her response to Kama: "Would you point us to someone who knows the surrounding area? A local ranger or druid, perhaps? We were hired by Gundren Rockseeker to bring his supplies - it's why we didn't have room to bring back more of yours - and now we find that he's...not here. His brothers, Nundro and Tharden, do you know them? We need to talk to them about their brother..."

At this point, Wish is interested just in ammunition, for his bow, Xora's bow, and for Hollow's crossbow. He'll get 20 of each, and then split the arrows with Xora later (I think she fired more of them than Wish did; he's only down 3 from his score). He'll browse to see if there's anything extraordinary, of course.
Nov 16, 2015 5:48 pm
Lilene shakes her head in response to Wish, "This is the third shipment that was taken, but we couldn't figure out where they'd been taken before now. You'd be best served talking to Daran Edermath or Reidoth, the local druid. Daran tends an orchard on the other side of the green, used to be an adventurer like yourself. I'm not sure where Reidoth stays, bue Qelline Alderleaf is good friend of his, she could probably help you get in contact with him. You could also check with some of the people at the Miner's Exchange, just across the street."

She thinks for a moment about the Rockseeker brothers, "I haven't seen any of them in some time. Last I heard, Nundro and Tharden were camping outside of the village somewhere, but I'm not really sure where at."

I know that's a pile of information there, sorry! Hope this helps keep it straight, and for further reference
Daran: Retired adventurer, lives close by
Reidoth: Druid, not sure of location, should speak with Qelline for information
Miner's Exchange: Hangout for miners, just across the street
Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm
"Thank you - you've been very helpful!" Wish smiles at Linene. "I'm sure we'll be back again for more supplies, and also to make sure that your got your shipment intact."

(character note: spent 1 gold, 8 silver, for 20 bolts & 20 arrows)

Then he speaks to Kama as they retrace their steps back to the Stonehill: "What do you think? Do you think we should split up to investigate? Maybe we should see what the others think."

Arriving at the Stonehill Inn, Wish looks around to see anyone he recognizes. Are Xora, Hollow, or any of her retainers in view? Whether or not they are, Wish will order something hot to eat and drink. Trail rations get old, fast.
Nov 16, 2015 8:59 pm
Kama cricks his neck with a few popping sounds. "Find that druid, is my guess," he says. "I ain't hunting around for Gundar's brothers; we can just leave a message for them at Barthen's. Maybe tomorrow we'll split to look up both the orchard and the Alderleaf farm, see what they have to say about the nature man."

As they reach the inn, Kama continues, "Right now, I need a drink. Care to join me?"
Nov 16, 2015 9:19 pm
"Absolutely. All this talking and shopping makes me thirsty. That, and being days on the road!"

Wish is buying, of course.
Nov 17, 2015 12:33 am
I help myself to several items, including enough arrows to fill my quiver to capacity, then walk out the door and wait for the others to catch up. At the mention of drinks, I grunt in agreement and follow the other two back towards the inn.

I keep an eye out for trouble as we move through town. Vigilance is key to protecting ourselves as well as other clan members.
Nov 17, 2015 2:35 pm
The night goes by smoothly, but during that time you hear a lot of rumors. Sounds like there is a lot of trouble going around lately.

1. Pip, Toblen's young son: "Qelline Alderleaf's son Carp said he found a secret tunnel in the woods, but Redbrands almost caught him."

2. Freda, a weaver: "The Redbrands hassle every business in town, except for the Phandalin Miner's Exchange. They don't want trouble with Halia Thornton, who runs it."

3. Narth, an old farmer: "Sister Garaele, who oversees the Shrine of Luck, recently left town for a few days, then returned wounded and exhausted."

4. Elsa, a gossipy barmaid: "Daran Edermath, the orchard keeper, is a former adventurer."

5. Lanar, a miner: "Orc raiders have been seen on the east end of Triboar Trail. The town master is looking for someone to run them off."

I was going to leave these in notes for each player, to simulate you all speaking to different people, but that would probably just create unnecessary work as you share the information.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm
Naatkinson says:

I was going to leave these in notes for each player, to simulate you all speaking to different people, but that would probably just create unnecessary work as you share the information.
(OoC: I'm sure that, even if we hadn't talked to people, everyone would have rushed to tell Hollow everything they could anyway. Yeah, it's a tough life, being a noble and so popular.

...I'm very glad she's on our side!)

In the morning, Wish reveals his purchases to Xora and Hollow, offering to replenish their ammunition. Any that they don't take, he will return to his pack. He's almost pathetically eager to please his friends.

"Wow! I feel better for a good night's rest in a bed for once! So...what do you think? They've got some trouble in town, what with orcs and these "Red Brands" everyone keeps mentioning. But we have few real leads on where to go to find Gundren, though Kama and I found out some people we might ask. We can ask around, see if anyone in town knows of the castle's location.

There's a druid who might know the woods that someone named Qeline seems to know - Kama said something about a farm, so he may know his way around town; we could talk to her...

...or go talk to Daran Edermath at his orchard - he used to be an adventurer, so he might know about castles in the area.

Linene at Lionshield Coster seemed to think we should check out the Miner's Exchange, too. I suppose miners have probably explored the area quite a bit.

Nundro and Tharden are supposed to be camped out nearby, too. They might have found a castle, you know, as part of their search for"
he lowers his voice "the Wave Echo cave..."

Wish looks out to see if he spots Sildar at breakfast, curious to see how he's recovered.
Last edited November 17, 2015 5:00 pm
Nov 17, 2015 5:15 pm
Kama's armor has been cleaned and oiled of all the grime from battle and the road. He spent a bit of the morning sharpening his weapons, using those moments to meditatively reflect on the day's tasks (and to shake the sleep and minor hangover from his head).

"Redbrands aren't a problem, yet," says Kama. "Yeah, it sounds like they're a local gang bullying the town, but people have been tolerating them so far. And while the orcs may be a threat, we know we've got a dwarf-in-distress held in some far-away castle that has been missing for at least a day."

A good breakfast ought to do some good. Meat and cheese, perhaps a bit of milk.

"Either Qeline or Daran are said to know of a druid named Reidoth, and I figure any druid worth his wood should be able to find us that castle. I think that's our best lead."
Nov 17, 2015 6:22 pm
Hollow is sitting with Seipora eating porridge. When she hears Kama's thoughts on breakfast she rolls her eyes. "I agree that finding the druid should be our first priority. If anyone friendly to our cause has a clue to the location of this castle and Gundren, it would be the druid. I wonder about these Redbrands though. It seems logical that this Black Spider may have a connection with them. If he's hiring goblins to ambush caravans, a gang of thugs to keep the locals in line wouldn't be too far of a stretch.".

She spoons the cereal around her bowl, contemplating for a moment, "I'm curious about why the Redbrands are leaving this Halia Thornton at the Miner's Exchange. She may prove an ally if she is able to withstand them. If the druid can't help maybe she can."
Nov 17, 2015 6:30 pm
Kama decides that in addition to meat and cheese, some of the local fruit will do nicely. There's an orchard, after all. He wolfs down the food and takes a swig of his cup, alternating takes.

"I don't know, it seems like a stretch," he says, referring to the connection between the Black Spider and the Redbrands. He places the elbow of his fork hand on the table. "But, I hadn't considered that possibility. You might have something there." He and his fork nod at Hollow.
Nov 17, 2015 6:53 pm
"So, shall we stop by the Miner's Exchange on our way out to the orchard or the...what was it, again, Kama? A farm? Do you know the way?" He slurps a bit more of his porridge. "This Halia person might know about the castle, or maybe just the druid, too."
Nov 17, 2015 7:04 pm
"The farm's on the eastern side of the town, at least according to the map someone provided us," says Kama. "Miner's exchange is on the southern side. Orchard to the west of this inn."

Kama looks out the window at the building across the street. "I think we could also talk to the Sister at the temple. She obviously ran into something out there; might be good to know what it was if we're heading out, too."
load next

Thread locked