Part 2: Phandalin

Nov 12, 2015 2:41 pm
The rutted track emerges from a wooded hillside, and you catch your first glimpse of Phandalin. The town consists of forty or fifty simple log buildings, some built on old fieldstone foundations. More old ruins-crumbling stone walls covered in ivy and briars-surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Most of the newer buildings are set on the sides of the cart track, which widens into a muddy main street of sorts as it climbs toward a ruined manor house on a hillside at the east side of town.

As you approach, you see children playing on the town green and townsfolk tending to chores or running errands at shops. Many people look up as you approach, but all return to their business as you go by.

Sildar seems much more at ease, "My friends," he says, "let us secure lodgings. I'm told the local inn is very quaint."
Nov 12, 2015 5:22 pm
Walking next to the cart, Wish waits for Sildar to elaborate. He feels very exposed out here. Wish tries to put a brave face on it, but he's always nervous when entering a new place full of people like this. Will they reject him, call him a freak and drive him out? He looks hopefully at Hollow; maybe she'll use her natural grace and charm to figure out where Barthen's Provisions and the Inn is, so they won't have to wander around like bumpkins.

Wish will also be looking for signs of any kind, indicating an inn or other establishment. *Maybe we'll be lucky and just stumble across Barthen's Provisions...*
Nov 12, 2015 5:31 pm
Kama guides the wagon along the track. "You go on ahead," he says to Sildar. "Me and the boys have to drop off these supplies to the Lionshield." He jerks his head at however many goblins took the trip with them, carrying the litter.

"Then the rest of this cargo to... uh.. where were we supposed to take them, Wish?"

Kama will go so far as to ask any passerby or resident within audible range for directions.
Last edited November 12, 2015 5:43 pm
Nov 12, 2015 5:43 pm
As you come into the town you pass a couple of small farmhouses and come upon a red-roofed building on your left. Just above the door hangs a sign of a shovel and rope.

"This is Barthen's Provisions," he points to the red-roofed building and then points to another building a few doors away, "and just up there is the Stonehill Inn. The Lionshield Coster is on the other side of town."
Nov 12, 2015 5:52 pm
"Perfect," says Kama, bringing the wagon to a halt in front of Barthen's. He orders the goblins to begin unloading, while he moves the supplies to the edge of the wagon. He is used to the manual labor and automatically tries to organize the supplies.
Nov 12, 2015 6:04 pm
People begin to stop and watch the strange party now that you're in town. They seem a bit nervous at all the odd strangers and the trio of goblins unloading the wagon. The presence of wolves does not settle them any, either.

A moment after you stop and start unloading, a skinny man with white hair and a receding hairline steps out of the shop, "Name's Elmar Barthen," he says, "owner of this here establishment, what can do ya fer?"

Suddenly he notices Sildar, "Sildar Hallwinter, my good friend!" he says, going to give him a hug and a good-natured slap on the back, "I expected you days ago! Where's Gundren at?"

Sildar's expression, which had initially been warm upon seeing his friend, darkens, "We were ambushed on the road and captured. They took Gundren somewhere else, and I don't think I'd have made it much longer if these young folks hadn't come to my rescue," he finishes, sweeping out his arm to indicate the party.

"Oh no," Barthen whispers, "what can we do?" he looks to the party, "Young heroes, you must save Gundren. I don't think they'd have killed him, he knows too much. His brothers are camped out of town somewhere, but they should be coming back to resupply any day, and I'm sure they would be willing to aid ye."

Suddenly realizing something, he steps back inside, and comes back out a moment later with 10 gold pieces for each of you, "The payment for the services you've already rendered to me,"
Nov 12, 2015 7:45 pm
"It was our pleasure to be of help, saving Sildar from a horrific end. We were told by Fezick here," indicating the goblin they first captured, "That Gundren was likely taken to an old castle. It sounded as though it was well known, but we have seen no sign of it. If there is a map or guide we would avail ourselves of them after we take our rest."

Looking off into the distance, Hollow pauses for a second then continues, "And the other Rockseekers, they are likely sought by the same people who took Gundren. If there we don't know exactly where they are, we will have to seek them out. Before or after we look for Gundren though...I'm not sure of the best course of action.
Nov 12, 2015 9:29 pm
"Thank you, Elmar." Wish pouches the coins. "We certainly plan to investigate, and follow up with Nundro and Tharden, once we finish unloading, get some beds at the Inn, and rest a bit. Could you tell us how to get to Lionshield Coster?"

Wish then takes this chance to either a) return Hollow's crossbow to her if it's in working condition, or b) talk to Barthen about repairing it if it needs repair. He'd also like to get some arrows. Does Barthen's Provisions stock weapons, or is there another place to go for that?
Nov 12, 2015 9:38 pm
Barthen shrugs, "I don't know of any old castles. The Lionshield Coster is just over there," he says, pointing to a large building just down the road about 200 feet, "Linene runs the place, a fairer lass I've never met."

Barthen's Provisions does not stock weapons, just regular supplies. For all of your weapon and armor needs you'll have to go to the Lionshield Coster. The crossbow is in fine condition.
Nov 12, 2015 10:31 pm
Kama dusts his hands and retrieves his equipment from the wagon. He spends some time listening to the conversation, but most of his attention is on the sights and sounds of the town. There is a familiarity here, as towns inevitably seem to form around a standard template. The inn should be somewhere in the center, near the green. They'll probably find a temple, too.

Yes, there is the smithy. Kama can smell the forge, and it reminds him of his youth and time spent with his father. Perhaps he will visit when there is more time.

At Wish's remark about the Lionshield Coster, Kama's attention is snapped back to the present. "C'mon, Fizbin. Let's move that cargo!" Kama points down the street towards their destination.

OOC: I believe the wagon is Gundren's and/or Barthen's, so we're leaving it here?
Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm
Wish gratefully hands over the crossbow to Hollow, and feels a bounce in his step at having so much cash in his pocket. But then he realizes that it's not all his, and he points out that it's time to divvy up the cash. 600 cp four ways is easy: each of the four characters gets 150 coppers, which he hands over. The silver is not much more complicated; Wish gives Kama, Hollow, and Xora each 31 silvers and keeps 32 for himself.

"For you, and you, and you." He looks at what's left in Yeemik's pouch. "I'm not sure what to do with these gold teeth, though...anyone know a dentist?"

While we're at Barthen's, Wish is going to get a lantern and some oil for it, if they're available and he can afford it. If Elmar has rations, Wish will buy a few days' worth, and if the shop has some meat scraps, Wish will buy some for the wolves, too. Otherwise, that'll wait for the Inn.

(OoC: I agree; we should leave the wagon here with Elmar.)
Last edited November 13, 2015 6:43 am
Nov 13, 2015 12:21 am
Hollow gladly accepts the crossbow and spoils and adds the funds to her growing supply. "Barthen or the Costers will likely take the teeth in trade. Either will be capable of making the best use of them." It's not the same as it was back in Thay, no one is ignoring her the way her parents used to, and aside from Jozin and Cyril, no one is waiting on her commands. In a lot of ways this life is better, but still very different.

She enters the inn and secures two rooms, one for Seipora and herself, and one for Jozin and Cyril. She tries negotiating for the wolves to be kenneled, but the innkeeper won't have it. They are wild and feral in his eyes, no matter what the party may attest to. When she returns to them they are lounging a few steps away from Jozin and Cyril who were set to watch them. They are alert and weary of the humanoid traffic of the town, but calm overall, being well fed and free of their chains. when they see her they stand and greet her as they would a pack alpha. Hollow crouches down and accepts their greeting.

"I wish I had some way to tell you to go, the people here don't trust you. It's not their fault, civilization and the wilds are always at odds." She watches them as they come around and take seated positions in front of her. Hollow has to admire their beauty, even with the matted fur and emaciated frames. Suddenly, a pattern she never notices appears in the fur on their heads. As she traces it with her fingers, words spring to her mind, "Dag'faun telar'manon"

To the others her words are a series of growls and yips, but the wolves perk up. [b][i]"You must go outside the town friends. It isn't safe here for you,I cannot give you my protection here. I will send you meat, goat or lamb. Then you must go outside the village. You are free to go if you desire. You have been good friends."

::Hope I'm not overstepping to much. Hollow is using the first of her Invocations that she gains at level 2, Beast Speech that lets her cast Speak with Animals at will. I'll leave the wolves fully in the DM's control. I figure its no big deal since it is a story reason and Hollow will be getting a full rest in now that we are in town.::
Last edited November 13, 2015 12:23 am
Nov 13, 2015 2:56 pm
Hollow has no issue securing rooms for her and her companions. The innkeeper, a short friendly man named Toblen Stonehill, staunchly refuses to allow the wolves anywhere near his establishment, even going so far as to tell you to keep them out of town (for their safety). Toblen gives a warning before you leave, "Avoid the Sleeping Giant tavern, the Redbrands frequent there, and you don't want to get on their bad side."

Trilena, Toblen's wife, shivers, "Bad folk, with worse tempers. Poor Thel Dendrar was murdered after he stood up to those thugs, and now the rest of his family has gone missing, wife and kids... Bad folk..." she shivers again.

After speaking to the wolves they nuzzle Hollow's hands for a moment and head out toward the woods. You're pretty sure you hear something about 'wolfmother' as they leave.

With the help of the Ander and Thistle, Elmar's helpers, you quickly get the good unloaded. He offers you three gold pieces in exchange for the teeth. Elmar once again thanks you for the help before you leave.

It is getting late, the party has the time for one more quick stop before it gets dark. Where do you want to go?

Each room is 6 SP per night, and food for a whole day is 4 SP per person.
I don't mind Hollow gaining the ability before "officially" leveling up, creates a good RP reason to have it!
The wagon is Gundren's. He was to take it off your hands when you arrived, but he's not here. Elmar will offer to hold onto it until you've rescued Gundren
Nov 13, 2015 4:37 pm
Kama will volunteer to take the goblins and the goods to the Lionshield Coster. He is fine with going on his own if the rest of the party have other errands to run.
Nov 13, 2015 4:45 pm
Wish has finished his transactions with Elmar and will accompany Kama to Lionshield Coster. He hasn't been to the Inn yet and didn't hear about the Redbrands.

(OoC: I'm assuming normal PHB prices for the hooded lantern (5 gp), oil (3 flasks - 3 sp), and rations (open question about how many days' rations we've used on our trip, but I'll be buying at least one to replace what we gave the wolves - 5 sp/day), for a total of 5 gp, 8 sp)

Edit: to accommodate the fact that we didn't use our own rations for the journey to Phandalin.
Last edited November 13, 2015 4:47 pm
Nov 13, 2015 6:21 pm
Hollow asks Kama and Wish to acquire another case of bolts for her while they are at the Costers, handing them a gold piece. Once the wolves have left she sends Jozin back to Barthen's to get her an explorers pack(10 gp). Then she sits down with Cyril and Seipora to plan out the next few days. She tells Seipora that she will need to share a room with Jozin and Cyril while she is gone looking for Gundren. She provides them 20 gp to cover their costs. Seipora objects to the idea of Hollow leaving her behind but eventually the two older women talk her down. Jozin eventually returns from his errand and they wait for the rest of their party.

::If I've done the math right, the three retainers sharing a room and paying 4 sp for food per day, they will need 18gp for 10 days, so there is a little wiggle room by giving them 20gp. Hopefully we won't be gone that long, but they should be comfortable in town until we get back::
Nov 14, 2015 12:16 am
I balk at the mention of securing rooms. "I sleep under the stars. Today, supplies. Tomorrow, we find the dwarf. It is decided."

OOC: will likely buy some things and update this when I do.
Nov 16, 2015 2:14 pm
The party is easily able to find the Lionshield Coster. Hanging above the front door of this modest trading post is a sign shaped like a wooden shield with a blue lion painted on it. The party enters the establishment and sees a pretty woman with auburn hair furiously writing in a ledger and running her hands through her hair. She is obviously agitated by something, so much so that she doesn't even notice you enter.
Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm
Kama coughs, and clears his throat. The half-orc remains by the door, uncertain if the establishment is closed, and also to maintain a presence for the goblins outside.
Nov 16, 2015 3:53 pm
The woman looks up from her work, startled for a moment. She quickly stands up and, embarrassed, welcomes you, "Hello and welcome to the Lionshield Coster, my name is Linene Graywind. What can I do for you?"
load next

Thread locked