Chapter 2 - The Fortress

load previous
Nov 19, 2015 2:19 am
Like Aelar, Ütés is able to see out from some gaps in the boards that comprise this wooden stables. Outside there are many different types of creatures, none of them friendly looking. This entire fortress seems to be a den of evil. Most of the creatures go about in fairly plain burlap robes. The hobgoblins that brought you in had these too, but they wore it over metal armor.

There seems to be no special identifying marks to these robes.
Nov 19, 2015 2:08 pm
Aelar briefly considers waiting until nightfall to take a look around, but realizes that Utes and Crolwell can't see in the dark and scraps that idea. Turning to the others he asks, "Any ideas on how to start this rescue? I don't fancy rushing out there into a horde of enemies with no escape route!"
Nov 19, 2015 3:09 pm
"Is there some way we could... blend in? Do some reconnaissance?" I furrow my brow. This is not my area of expertise.
Last edited November 19, 2015 5:34 pm
Nov 19, 2015 3:17 pm
Aelar glances at Crolwell uncertainly, "Blend in? Umm... That might work, but it's mighty risky since we know nothing about this place."
Nov 19, 2015 8:45 pm
"May just be best to wait a while." Ütés says returning to the others. "I'm assuming someone will be around to check on the captives at some point. Might be nice if we were around to greet them and maybe get some answers as to what is going on."
Nov 19, 2015 11:57 pm
Crolwell claps his hands together. "Greet them! Why in the blazing branches would we greet them? I thought they hurt these people... I'm confused..."
Nov 20, 2015 12:05 am
"Perhaps she means that we can explain to them why we're here and that we have the full backing of the Daggers. Then, errr, maybe they will change their minds about keeping the prisoners?" I feel just as confused as Crolwell, but I attempt to hide that fact.
Last edited November 20, 2015 12:06 am
Nov 20, 2015 1:51 am
"I don't intend for it to be a friendly greeting and I don't intend on giving them an option on whether or not these people will go free." Ütés says in a calm yet determined voice. "Whether we wait for someone to return or we take our chances among the crowds I'll leave to Aelar. Either way, those responsible will pay."
Nov 20, 2015 2:16 am
"Well, it's not going to be good if we go out there in the middle of the day, and I suppose it can't hurt to wait here for a little while until it gets dark," Aelar says after listening to all the ideas.
Nov 20, 2015 3:07 am
Ramas looks to Xadira, Unfortunately this may be a place our affiliation with the Daggers may mean a more swift demise. The Bard has become aware of our organization, and has on a few occasions eliminated informants, spies, and agents of the Daggers.

He looks back to the covered cart, Perhaps we could use this thing to our advantage? I have heard an old tale of an army that got the drop on an enemy force by hiding inside of a giant Minotaur. The opposing force took it as a gift and brought it within the walls. When the moment was right the army popped out and gained the upper hand.
Nov 20, 2015 3:12 am
My right fist is tucked under my chin as I squint, concentrating all my mental energy on the task at hand. "I suppose that is true, but if your only concern is being seen, then why not consider invisibility? You can take a look around, gather reconnaissance, and then report back to us."
Last edited November 20, 2015 3:13 am
Nov 20, 2015 3:30 am
Crolwell nods furiously. "Yes, yes. I can be invisible. They won't see me coming. One moment I will be just behind them and those robed fellers will just say 'Ello! My little friend! How is it going?" with this Crolwell pretends (pitifully) to be one of the goblins.
Last edited November 20, 2015 3:31 am

Rolls

Preformance - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 20, 2015 4:16 am
Chuckling a little at Crolwell's performance, Ramas is glad for the moment of levity.

Can you really make someone invisible?, Ramas questions Xadira, looking a little skeptical. I myself prefer direct combat, but the abilities of magical users has always intrigued me.
Nov 20, 2015 5:03 am
"Oh yes, I do believe the incantation is really quite simple. I'm surprised I hadn't tried it before, but you know sometimes you can only memorize so many hundreds of pages of text before the words begin to blur together! I'm quite glad that you all require so much sleep, as I've spent most of that downtime catching up on my reading. In fact, if we encounter any libraries I'd very much like to find another book or topic in order to further my research. You never know what sort of information could be helpful in any given moment!"
Nov 20, 2015 6:41 am
Ramas turns back to Utes, What do you think? If we send someone they should be capable of fighting if need be. How about Crolwell? He seems pretty sturdy. He looks back out through some gaps in the boards for a moment. I think we just need to be able to get over to that door over there.

He points as best as he can through the boards in the way. If you look out you see a main citadel inside this fortress. It's the central structure of the fort and has a large set of marble stairs leading up to the entrance where two 15-foot tall doors stand. They are adorned in decorative bronze trees. If you look down and to the side of this, however, you will see a wide set of double doors. Unlike the main entrance there are no guards posted at this door. It's a good 100 feet away from the stables you are in now.

I think that is where they took the last covered cart that was here before. It looks like a side service entrance or something into that citadel
Nov 20, 2015 5:53 pm
"An invisible Crolwell!? I'm not sure the world is ready for that..." Ütés says while pondering the idea a bit more "...but as Xadira says, a certain amount if reconnaissance would certainly be of use."

"We'll watch the path between here and the door way while you cover the distance" she says to Crolwell. "If you get into any sort of trouble work your way back here quick as you can. If you need help give us some sort of sign."

Knowing that any sort of sign from Crolwell will be unmissable Ütés doesn't even bother with the details of what the sign of trouble might be.
Nov 21, 2015 1:59 am
Crolwell's eyes shine like a child's and he grins his toothless grin.
Nov 21, 2015 3:49 am
Ramas turns back to Crolwell, If you can get into those doors we need to figure out if there is somewhere safe inside we can get to, or somewhere we can find some of those burlap robes, we don't need to fit in, we just need to get inside so we can find the dungeon below. He claps a hand on the barbarian's shoulder, Someday I'm sure you will write a song about this. He smiles warmly at Crolwell.
Nov 21, 2015 7:05 am
Aelar pats Crolwell on the shoulder, "Be careful, my friend," he says.

"Granting Crolwell Bardic Inspiration. He can use it to add a d6 to any d20 roll, a damage roll, or to your ac vs an attack
Nov 23, 2015 4:04 am
Xadira, will you do the honors?, Ramas asks, gesturing to the smiling Crolwell.
load next

Thread locked