Chapter 2 - The Fortress

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 16, 2015 4:41 am
https://nerdsagainsttheworlddotnet.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/dragon-age-3-inquisition-concept-art-revealed.png

As the caravan clatters down the trail the hobgoblin guards that now flank the caravan joke loudly in goblin. At least, you assume they are from the way the keep laughing about something. The rest of the way, other than this guard switch, was fairly uneventful.

Soon, after making the trek the rest of the way around the large mountain that dominates much of this island, you see the trail leads to a long bridge to a very large and foreboding looking fortress. bugbears, hobgoblins, and a few orcs stand sentinel on the bridge and in the guard towers watching the front wall. As you near the gates there is more goblin chatter from the guards here and the guards from the caravan. Soon there is the large thudding of giant chain links winding as the massive doors into the fortress rise up and the carts are led into the main courtyard and off to some stables on the west wall.

GM. For navigational purposes the wall with the main entrance will be considered south.

The goblins take the first covered wagon off to another location, but the one your party is in is brought into the stable with the other carts and the door is closed and locked behind you. There is on covered wagon left in here, and the two wagons loaded with supplies. Aelar's troupe is in here somewhere, it's time to bust them out.
Nov 16, 2015 1:55 pm
Aelar crawls out of his concealment carefully, making sure that there is no one there to see him. After emerging from the wagon he takes a few minutes to search the wagons, hoping to find something that may be helpful in rescuing his troupe. He attempts to be very quiet in his searching so no one outside will hear him.

Is there any way to see outside of this enclosure without actually going out?

Rolls

Perception to search - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Stealth [Advantage] - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

Nov 16, 2015 2:59 pm
As you search a round you find gaps enough in the wooden construction of this stables area to be able to see out. You see all manner of creature out and about doing various tasks. Just generally milling about in the courtyard outside. In the carts it seems most of the supplies are basic short swords, battered shields, salt beef and other rations. There is some leather hides and torches as well.

Inside the stables with you now are the two wagons and one covered wagon. The covered wagon isn't like one you are used to seeing. Instead of treated canvas covering it in a big arch, it seems more to have a large wood box covering it. The back is locked with a large iron lock, and on the sides are small slits in the wood. Even with dark vision the angle of these slots makes it hard to actually see in to the wagon.

GM. I'm going to go ahead and say that the trip in was a long rest worth of time. So everyone is full up on their stuff.
Nov 16, 2015 3:14 pm
Aelar takes out his new set of thieve's tools, hoping to be able to open the lock on the boxed-in wagon. Aelar will keep trying for a couple of minutes if he can't get it open at first.

Not sure how many times you'll let me try, this seems to vary by DM. I'll add a couple more rolls in case you'll let me try a couple of times.
Last edited November 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Rolls

Thieve's Tools - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

(17) + 3 = 20

(15) + 3 = 18

Nov 16, 2015 3:48 pm
After a few minutes it seems like the lock may be too much for you to work out. Given another minute however you are able to pop the lock and remove it.

Given the situation I would say you have a chance to try at it a few times so the extra roll did it. It was a hard (DC 20) lock to pick. You just barely got it on the second try.

[handing note to Aelar]
PhantomNimbus sent a note to Naatkinson
Nov 16, 2015 3:51 pm
Aelar is filled with anger at what he sees. He motions for them to remain silent as he quietly calls his companions over to she them what he's seen.
Quote:
You find a the back is filled with bound and gagged forms of people. Most in only rags at this point. They look frightened to see the door open. Some try and shy towards the back to the best of their abilities, but with how many people are crammed into this space it seems difficult even for basic movement.
After his companions have seen he quietly asks them, "What should we do? We can't just leave them here, and if we release them they will just be captured again."
Nov 16, 2015 5:30 pm
"Arm them?" I offer hopefully. Seems like the sort of thing people do in a situation like this, although now that I've said it out loud I am filled with doubt. "Perhaps we should leave them be for now?"
Last edited November 16, 2015 5:30 pm
Nov 16, 2015 8:39 pm
Speaking in elvish Ütés says "Let's get them unbound and see what we can find as far as rations for them."

"I wonder if any of the these folks would be able to defend themselves even if they were armed.?" she wonders as she looks over the hostages.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Nov 16, 2015 8:42 pm
Aelar will calmly approach the poeple with his hands in plain sight, trying not to frighten them, "Don't worry, I won't hurt you. We're here to help you. I'm going to cut your bindings if you sit still, and please, be quiet."

Aelar slowly draws out one of his daggers, as to appear nonthreatening, and will start cutting bonds.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Nov 16, 2015 8:46 pm
Ütés will look about for some rations and when she find them she'll bring them over to the hostages.
Nov 16, 2015 8:58 pm
Utes initial glance at the people turns up about what any of you may be thinking. These people don't look very well equipped to handle themselves.

As Aelar draws his dagger the people wince back instinctively, but calm as he speaks. The first to be unbound grabs his sore and worn wrists where the restraints were. He is an older looking gentleman, and thanks you profusely, though he seems unsure of what to do now.

As you release more there seems to be about 15 people that were crammed in the space to maybe seat 8 comfortably. 12 uncomfortably. They seem to be various races, ages, but as you question them all one thing becomes apparent. They are all bards of different merit. Though not in the same respect as Aelar, these musicians seem to have come from all over Faerun. Some had only been in this caravan for a few days, some have been captured for months.

As you listen to the stories of the people, giving what rations you can to those who seem the most hungry, you start to hear a remarkably similar story. One that you yourselves know a little too well. A strange caravan would come into town and a few robed people would take up residence in the local tavern. Usually about a night later there would be a strange event. Out of nowhere people would suddenly start attacking and killing local patrons in the tavern. A few of the hostages said they had seen these individuals ingesting some sort of strange dark liquid.

These stories always seem to end the same. These bards, minstrels, and singers would flee for their lives and be captured as they fled. They would be taken and tossed into one of these carts and hauled off as the tavern became a scene of horror and slaughter. No one would even notice their disappearance because there were so many bodies found, most were just assumed dead.

Some, who had been on this caravan the longest said these were the lucky ones, that got captured. Sometimes the tavern massacres resulted in no remaining life to steal. At that point the caravan just moved on to the next town.
Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm
Aelar shakes with rage, more determined than ever to make these horrible people pay, "They will not get away with this, we will make them pay. I think that you should stay in here until we find a good way to get you out of here, if you left now, like this you'd just be recaptured and put under heavier guard."
Nov 17, 2015 4:04 pm
"For months?" Ütés asks one of the bards. "I know this might be hard to talk about, but the more you can tell us about what they've been doing with you for all of this time, the more likely we'll be able to help end all of this."

She looks towards the understandably upset Aelar and in elvish adds, "And we will end all of this!"
Nov 17, 2015 4:38 pm
A woman steps forward up to Ütés. You can see in her face she was probably an extremely beautiful singer. However, her features are sunken from malnutrition. She is covered in dirt and filth. Her frame is bent and sickly looking. Her hair is matted with, who knows what. She speaks and her voice comes out weak and it wavers as she speaks, holding back tears.

I...I may be one of the earliest. What the others say is true. I've lost track of the time we spent in there. I could only try my best to count the days as the light that seeped into the slits on the side. They took me and have had me bound in there since. I can't remember how many times we had stopped, we had more, but some died along the way. It would sometimes be a day or two before the smell made them realize someone inside had died, even then they may not remove them right away, she stops abruptly, no longer able to restrain herself and starts crying. One of the other women comes to comfort her and takes up the story.

We've only been given enough food to not die...for the most part. The robed people, the ones who had that black stuff the people drank. They left the caravan just before we departed by boat to this place. There were more humans before then. On the boat the goblins took over driving the carts. We could hear much of the talking before, we simply could do nothing about it. In one town there was once a man that opened the back of the cart. He was trying to help us I think..., she stops and looks down at the ground for a moment, They slit his throat, and we all had to watch as he died. They there his body in with us until we were out of town.

As you hear more the stories are all equally grim and disturbing. Torture, abuse, and the women on this caravan were often taken advantage of during the trip. It was all most of these people could do just to live to this point. Though many had at points wished for death.
Nov 18, 2015 1:59 am
"How does this happen, out here? And why?" Their stories are so terrible, surely they can't be true? I turn towards Crolwell to see if he has anything to say. He may be a strange man, but he always seems to know more than he's telling.
Nov 18, 2015 3:30 am
Crolwell remains silent. This entire ordeal is souring his mood. He became an entertainer for the people's smile. He thought he was done with these things. A grim determination flows through him, something he has rarely ever felt. He grasps the handle of his Fluba and looks toward Xadira and screams within his own mind, but it does not come from his mouth. Yes? This is what he wants? The vile criminal. If there is one thing I can do, and I swear to you this, I will outplay the Bard and his tune will be left only as an infamous smudge in history.
And with that Crolwell feels the fire die as quickly as it entered. "Hmmm? What? I mean, perhaps we can do a little ditty. You do realize I absolutely love those things, especially...". He rambles on, unintelligably answering a question he didn't really hear.
Last edited November 18, 2015 3:31 am
Nov 18, 2015 3:37 am
Also if I haven't already said it, or if people have used the last one, you all have an inspiration point. Fantastic RP.
Nov 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Aelar has never been more angry. Hearing of these atrocities sickens him, and he says to the captives, "Wait here, and be silent. We will come back, and we will free you, but we have some things to take care of first."
Nov 18, 2015 10:37 pm
"I think we need to find one of these robed people and have a talk." Ütés says to the others as she moves towards the door of the stable. Inspecting the area around the door and the door itself she tries to find someway to peek outside.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Nov 18, 2015 10:44 pm
"That's an excellent idea! Perhaps we can convince them to let these people go?" I nod vigorously.
Nov 19, 2015 2:19 am
Like Aelar, Ütés is able to see out from some gaps in the boards that comprise this wooden stables. Outside there are many different types of creatures, none of them friendly looking. This entire fortress seems to be a den of evil. Most of the creatures go about in fairly plain burlap robes. The hobgoblins that brought you in had these too, but they wore it over metal armor.

There seems to be no special identifying marks to these robes.
Nov 19, 2015 2:08 pm
Aelar briefly considers waiting until nightfall to take a look around, but realizes that Utes and Crolwell can't see in the dark and scraps that idea. Turning to the others he asks, "Any ideas on how to start this rescue? I don't fancy rushing out there into a horde of enemies with no escape route!"
Nov 19, 2015 3:09 pm
"Is there some way we could... blend in? Do some reconnaissance?" I furrow my brow. This is not my area of expertise.
Last edited November 19, 2015 5:34 pm
Nov 19, 2015 3:17 pm
Aelar glances at Crolwell uncertainly, "Blend in? Umm... That might work, but it's mighty risky since we know nothing about this place."
Nov 19, 2015 8:45 pm
"May just be best to wait a while." Ütés says returning to the others. "I'm assuming someone will be around to check on the captives at some point. Might be nice if we were around to greet them and maybe get some answers as to what is going on."
Nov 19, 2015 11:57 pm
Crolwell claps his hands together. "Greet them! Why in the blazing branches would we greet them? I thought they hurt these people... I'm confused..."
Nov 20, 2015 12:05 am
"Perhaps she means that we can explain to them why we're here and that we have the full backing of the Daggers. Then, errr, maybe they will change their minds about keeping the prisoners?" I feel just as confused as Crolwell, but I attempt to hide that fact.
Last edited November 20, 2015 12:06 am
Nov 20, 2015 1:51 am
"I don't intend for it to be a friendly greeting and I don't intend on giving them an option on whether or not these people will go free." Ütés says in a calm yet determined voice. "Whether we wait for someone to return or we take our chances among the crowds I'll leave to Aelar. Either way, those responsible will pay."
Nov 20, 2015 2:16 am
"Well, it's not going to be good if we go out there in the middle of the day, and I suppose it can't hurt to wait here for a little while until it gets dark," Aelar says after listening to all the ideas.
Nov 20, 2015 3:07 am
Ramas looks to Xadira, Unfortunately this may be a place our affiliation with the Daggers may mean a more swift demise. The Bard has become aware of our organization, and has on a few occasions eliminated informants, spies, and agents of the Daggers.

He looks back to the covered cart, Perhaps we could use this thing to our advantage? I have heard an old tale of an army that got the drop on an enemy force by hiding inside of a giant Minotaur. The opposing force took it as a gift and brought it within the walls. When the moment was right the army popped out and gained the upper hand.
Nov 20, 2015 3:12 am
My right fist is tucked under my chin as I squint, concentrating all my mental energy on the task at hand. "I suppose that is true, but if your only concern is being seen, then why not consider invisibility? You can take a look around, gather reconnaissance, and then report back to us."
Last edited November 20, 2015 3:13 am
Nov 20, 2015 3:30 am
Crolwell nods furiously. "Yes, yes. I can be invisible. They won't see me coming. One moment I will be just behind them and those robed fellers will just say 'Ello! My little friend! How is it going?" with this Crolwell pretends (pitifully) to be one of the goblins.
Last edited November 20, 2015 3:31 am

Rolls

Preformance - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Nov 20, 2015 4:16 am
Chuckling a little at Crolwell's performance, Ramas is glad for the moment of levity.

Can you really make someone invisible?, Ramas questions Xadira, looking a little skeptical. I myself prefer direct combat, but the abilities of magical users has always intrigued me.
Nov 20, 2015 5:03 am
"Oh yes, I do believe the incantation is really quite simple. I'm surprised I hadn't tried it before, but you know sometimes you can only memorize so many hundreds of pages of text before the words begin to blur together! I'm quite glad that you all require so much sleep, as I've spent most of that downtime catching up on my reading. In fact, if we encounter any libraries I'd very much like to find another book or topic in order to further my research. You never know what sort of information could be helpful in any given moment!"
Nov 20, 2015 6:41 am
Ramas turns back to Utes, What do you think? If we send someone they should be capable of fighting if need be. How about Crolwell? He seems pretty sturdy. He looks back out through some gaps in the boards for a moment. I think we just need to be able to get over to that door over there.

He points as best as he can through the boards in the way. If you look out you see a main citadel inside this fortress. It's the central structure of the fort and has a large set of marble stairs leading up to the entrance where two 15-foot tall doors stand. They are adorned in decorative bronze trees. If you look down and to the side of this, however, you will see a wide set of double doors. Unlike the main entrance there are no guards posted at this door. It's a good 100 feet away from the stables you are in now.

I think that is where they took the last covered cart that was here before. It looks like a side service entrance or something into that citadel
Nov 20, 2015 5:53 pm
"An invisible Crolwell!? I'm not sure the world is ready for that..." Ütés says while pondering the idea a bit more "...but as Xadira says, a certain amount if reconnaissance would certainly be of use."

"We'll watch the path between here and the door way while you cover the distance" she says to Crolwell. "If you get into any sort of trouble work your way back here quick as you can. If you need help give us some sort of sign."

Knowing that any sort of sign from Crolwell will be unmissable Ütés doesn't even bother with the details of what the sign of trouble might be.
Nov 21, 2015 1:59 am
Crolwell's eyes shine like a child's and he grins his toothless grin.
Nov 21, 2015 3:49 am
Ramas turns back to Crolwell, If you can get into those doors we need to figure out if there is somewhere safe inside we can get to, or somewhere we can find some of those burlap robes, we don't need to fit in, we just need to get inside so we can find the dungeon below. He claps a hand on the barbarian's shoulder, Someday I'm sure you will write a song about this. He smiles warmly at Crolwell.
Nov 21, 2015 7:05 am
Aelar pats Crolwell on the shoulder, "Be careful, my friend," he says.

"Granting Crolwell Bardic Inspiration. He can use it to add a d6 to any d20 roll, a damage roll, or to your ac vs an attack
Nov 23, 2015 4:04 am
Xadira, will you do the honors?, Ramas asks, gesturing to the smiling Crolwell.
Nov 23, 2015 4:10 am
Finished with my incantation, I shove Crolwell lightly out the wagon and in that moment he immediately blinks out of view. "You have one hour from this moment. Do come back to us within that time or you will be seen."
Last edited November 23, 2015 4:10 am
Nov 23, 2015 5:56 am
Crolwell jumps in suprise and runs forward, when he notices that he cannot see his feet he yelps in surprise and runs into the side of the barn. As he gets up, Crolwell shakes the hay off of his head and starts moving toward the side doors. He makes sure that nobody will see him.
((OOC: He forgets that he is invisible so he will sneak around and then remember he is invisible and speed up. And then starts sneaking again...))
Nov 24, 2015 3:42 am
Crolwell is able to sneak out the side of the barn and soon finds himself standing out in near bright daylight, only as he looks around he can't see his limbs. He can feel them, he can feel his movements, but he can't see anything of his.
Nov 24, 2015 8:13 am
Crolwell thinks this odd, then stops thinking and walks merrily out into the middle of the road and makes his way to the front doors. If he makes it to them he will wait for a second in front of them, waiting for the guards to welcome him in... and then he remembers he is invisible. And instead studies the gates, the guards, and examines everything about them looking for a better way in, or anything else that might be helpful. What was I suppose to do again? Crolwell thinks to himself.
Last edited November 24, 2015 8:16 am

Rolls

perception - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Dec 2, 2015 1:48 am
"What do you think he's doing out there?" Ütés whispers to the others.
Dec 2, 2015 2:53 pm
Aelar listens worriedly at the door, but can't hear anything indicating that Crolwell has been found.

"I don't know... perhaps I should have been the one to go," Aelar sits down in miserable silence to wait for their large friend to return.
Dec 9, 2015 1:14 am
I look up from my pile of notes that I've already begun jotting down. "It's not too late. You can check it out yourself. I won't be able to grant you invisibility, but you do seem to have a knack for blending in. Perhaps they won't even notice?"
Dec 11, 2015 12:18 pm
"Or maybe you could sing us a song to help pass the time? You do have a lovely singing voice!" I put down my notes for now. How many opportunities up until now have I had to truly get to know my companions anyway? Now's as good a time as any, seeing as there are no immediate threats.
Dec 11, 2015 1:50 pm
Aelar smiles and bows at Xadira, "Thank you for the compliments, I would love to sing for you but I'd rather not attract attention to us. Once we're out of here I'll sing every day for you if you'd like. I could tell some stories if you'd like?"
Dec 11, 2015 3:36 pm
"Something to pass the time would be most appreciated. I fear we're not going to learn a thing while Crolwell is invisible."
Dec 11, 2015 3:45 pm
Aelar will begin a happy tale of love lost and then found again, something to inspire hope.

Edit: Nailed it!
Last edited December 11, 2015 3:45 pm

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Dec 11, 2015 3:49 pm
"I've... I've got something in my eye..." the ever stoic Ütés says quietly as she rubs her eyes with the back of her hands.
Dec 12, 2015 12:10 am
"Oh my, Aelar, that was... that was the most beautiful tale I've ever heard. The fragility of life, the hope and yearning, the passion in your words..." I use an entire sleeve to wipe the tears streaming down my face as I blush a deep red. I do a terrible job of composing myself. "Yes. Good job." I give him a pat on the shoulder and then sit back down, leaning against the wall of the cart. A change in topic. Yes, that will do us some good.

"SO ÜTÉS, er I mean, ahem that was louder than I intended... anyway, do tell me more of this Prince of yours. I am quite curious as to how you came to know this young man. I myself have not known many royal figures in my lifetime. You must have so many interesting stories to tell, perhaps not as well as Aelar, well I mean he IS a professional and all, but you know what I mean..." I find an incredibly exciting corner of the cart that has attracted my attention and proceed to stare at it very intently as I continue to babble. "Are you two very close?
Last edited December 12, 2015 12:10 am
Dec 12, 2015 2:13 am
"The young prince is a buffoon and an embarrassment to the royal family!" Ütés blurts out.

Surprised by her own outburst she takes a deep breath before continuing - "Still, he is the King's son and heir to the royal throne; May the gods help us! Usually when he goes missing we'll find him four or five days later half out of his mind from strong drink and smoked herbs. This time, however, there were signs of an abduction and enough clues to bring me to the tavern where we all met."

"Why anyone would abduct the good prince is still a mystery to me but it's of little concern. My task if to simply retrieve the lad, once again, from trouble." She'll continue on with a few terse stories of the prince's behavior. It is quite clear that she's become tired of having to continually fetch the irresponsible prince and it is also quite clear that she would never let the King down by failing to do so.

"Now, my friend, what stories do you have for us?" Ütés asks.
Dec 14, 2015 2:27 am
"Children often find themselves in trouble. Sometimes the only way one can avoid it is by keeping them safe, under lock and key. Although, that could have some unintended consequences. In fact, perhaps one should not do that at all. Hmm, no that is not always the best course of action." I begin to comb through my hair with my fingers until it is, once again, perfectly straight with not a tangle to be seen.

"Books! Yes, one should read as many books as possible. That is how I passed the time back before I began this epic journey. History contains some of the greatest stories that one can know and learn from, my friend!" I begin to explain the history of certain types of Elvish salts and how they were thought to be magical in nature and came to be traded amongst many of the races in the known world. It's a fascinating, detailed story... one may even say overly detailed, and you can nearly hear the annotated bibliography in its telling. "And that's how the sylvan word was misheard and mistranslated to elva, which sounds much like the dwarvish word for "foul smelling", which is why they don't touch the stuff...hilarious!"
Last edited December 14, 2015 2:27 am
Dec 14, 2015 4:26 am
Aelar listens to his companions stories, absorbing as much information as he can about the people who were quickly becoming his closest companions. Amazing how a couple of life and death situations will being people closer, he thinks to himself.

"The prince should be put under Garig's tutelage!" he says with a grin and chuckle, he takes on a far-away look as he remembers his old troupe mate, "He'd teach him some responsibility right quick. Garig is in charge of all the non-entertainment responsibilities for the troupe, and he doesn't stand for any nonsense."
Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm
"Elvish salts?" Ütés thinks to herself as Xadira starts in on her history lesson of the most boring topic Ütés could imagine. "Elvish salts... Hopefully someone will attack us or maybe the invisible old man will save us by playing his invisible fluba...". A few minutes in, however, and she finds herself hanging on every word. Whether it was the passion of Xadira's delivery or, gods help her, the actual historical content, Ütés may never know, but she can't remember that last time she was so intrigued by the history of anything.

"Very interesting, Xadira!" and then proceeds to ask the elf several questions about the topic at hand - apparently genuinely interested in elvish salts.
Hearing Aelar's suggestion about the prince Ütés quickly concurs. "The prince needs to be placed where his royal heritage will have no influence on how the lad the treated. Perhaps some time with this Garig wouldn't be a bad idea." Smiling at Aelar she adds, "After the daring rescue of your troupe is complete we will work out the details, yes?"
Last edited December 16, 2015 11:20 pm
Dec 16, 2015 1:51 pm
Aelar smiles widely at Utes, a mischievous gleam in his eyes, "Oh yes, I'm sure we can come up with something."
Dec 22, 2015 5:12 am
"So many names, places... so much seen and experienced! You both must have had such exciting lives, even before joining this... what are we calling this? An adventure? I suppose it's an adventure. It's like a story in those books I like to read. Well, not exactly, perhaps my books don't have the sorts of dangers we've encountered, at least not in the way I imagined they would be. We did take care of that hag pretty quickly, so perhaps my study was useful in that regard. But I haven't encountered the sort of fellows you've mentioned. This is one of my first, er, outings in a long time. Oh dear, I hope it's not too obvious! I do try my best to blend in." I carefully remove another speck of dust that has made its way onto my robes. Why must the outdoors be so... dirty?
Dec 28, 2015 5:06 pm
Aelar smiles at the bookish elf, "Nah, you've been doing a fine job. Nobody would know that you're not a hardened adventurer."
Dec 28, 2015 5:16 pm
PhantomNimbus sent a note to teaanddice
[passing note to Crolwell]

Ramas has been listening mostly in silence, only interjecting and asking questions here and there, he mostly keeps his eye looking out through the boards in this shed. He tends to the freed captives every once in awhile, but mostly just keeps watch to make sure no one surprises the group.
Dec 29, 2015 4:33 am
teaanddice sent a note to PhantomNimbus
Crolwell is thinking to himself... Where could my Caravan be?.

Rolls

... - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Dec 29, 2015 5:19 pm
[handing note to Crolwell]
Jan 5, 2016 5:24 am
"And where are you from, Ramas? You can't have spent your life with the daggers, now. Surely you came from somewhere interesting?"
Jan 5, 2016 8:46 pm

Rolls

Preformance, Crolwell is Wind... - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jan 13, 2016 7:10 pm
"Hmmmm, does anyone have charcoal on them? I need a good deal of it to try something I've been working on. It could help pass the time as we wait."

OOC: Trying to cast Find Familiar. Do I actually need to buy 10gp worth of charcoal, or just have it on hand?
Jan 13, 2016 10:52 pm
"Can't say that I have..." Ütés answers Xadira "...not sure what I would use it for."

OOC: You would think 10GP would buy an awful lot of charcoal. Do you need to lug around 80 pounds of the stuff for this spell? :-)
Last edited January 13, 2016 10:52 pm
Jan 15, 2016 2:09 pm
"No, I don't know what I could ever use that much charcoal for," Aelar responds to Xadira.

It's 10 gp of charcoal, herbs, and incense consumed in a brass brazier
Jan 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Ramas looks back to Xadira. No, I have not always been a member of the Daggers. I was once a soldier of the royal guard in Neverwinter actually. I loved my job but quickly became disillusioned with the lives of the rich and royal that I guarded. I suspect Utes knows the feeling well, he nods toward Utes as he strides towards the back of the stables you are in. The daggers recruited me for my ability to fight and be resourceful, and it feels good to fight for something that matters, instead of shaking down shop keeps who can't pay the taxes of the kingdom, as he says this you hear him dragging something out from under a pile of sacks. It's a brass brazier with charcoal still piled in it from a previous fire.

Do you think this will be enough, Xadira?, he smiles wryly as he dusts some of the coal off of himself.
OOC:
This will be enough for your spell. If you don't have the other components, just use the GP value. I would assume Xadira is smart enough to stop at towns and shops to pick up needed supplies, so I can always just take GP value if it lists one. Also, a component pouch should serve the purpose of having components at any given time.
Jan 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Rolls

That's what he (the goblin) said... - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jan 26, 2016 5:15 am
"Oh! I see." As soon as I see the brazier and charcoal, my eyes light up excitedly. "Yes, I do believe this will be enough! Hmm, now, what else will I need..." I dig through my component pouch, spilling its contents out in front of me, including an even larger amount of charcoal. "Well, this is embarrassing. I've had this the whole time! Where has my mind gone! Thinking about too many things, I'm afraid!"

I chuckle to myself before I immediately shift focus, throwing little bits of this and that into the brazier while chanting in Sylvan. My eyes bore deeply into the flames, glowing briefly as the incantation takes hold. When I am done, a hawk appears next to me. And just as quickly, my trance is broken. "Fascinating! It appears to have worked!" I tilt my head at her quizzically and mentally send her an image of the wagon's roof, directing her to circle around from above. "Fly, little bird. Spread your wings and show me what you can see."

Rolls

Hawk Perception? - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Hawk Perception w/Advantage? - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jan 26, 2016 2:45 pm
[passing note to Crollwell]

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Moofsalot
[passing a note to Xadira]
Jan 26, 2016 5:19 pm
My eyes go wide and blank for a long moment. Then, a huge smile crosses my face as I wave my arms around giddily, poorly mimicking the hawk's movements. "I'm flying! This is, well this is just- oh!" I lean side to side like one might do if one were listening to a lovely tune. Then I am back to my usual self and the hawk returns to my side. "Most excellent! There appear to be prisoners kept in cages by a workshop in one of the towers. And goblins, yes. I also saw some black powder that looked very interesting. I must collect some samples and study it- perhaps it could be used for some purpose, although I'm not sure what. Maybe it could be... turned into a paste and used as a dye? Hmmmm.
Jan 26, 2016 7:57 pm
Ramas' expression changes on the words 'black powder'.

Did you just say black powder? Like, was it in barrels? A fine black powder?, he asks with increasing interest.
Jan 26, 2016 8:08 pm
"What's so interesting about black powder?" Aelar asks.
OOC:
Any chance Aelar may have heard something in stories or in his travels?

Rolls

Int Check - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Jan 26, 2016 8:14 pm
"Oh yes, several barrels! Seemed fine enough from my vantage point. Did you wish to take a closer look as well?"
Jan 26, 2016 8:29 pm
OOC:
Aelar hasn't quite heard of this yet.
I dare not get too much closer to that stuff. That powder is something explosive. We had one of our gnome tinkers trying to work with it to create new weaponry when I was back in the royal guard. Blew his entire workshop, and himself, to bits. He only had one barrel of the stuff. It's incredibly tricky to work with. It's also rare, Ramas says, going back to the wood slats to try and peek through and see the barrels.

By the gods, they have maybe 10 - 15 barrels of the stuff. How did they even manage to create that much?, he adds as he walks back to the group. If we could set fire to those barrels we could create a distraction large enough to draw out most of this base. It may also destroy a good portion of them in the process. We just need a way to trigger it.
Jan 26, 2016 8:33 pm
Aelar peeks out to see if the barrels are reinforced by metal bands. If they are he gets a grin on his face, "May I could heat the metal of the bands enough to cause the barrel to catch on fire. Or maybe our resident sorceress has a couple of fiery tricks up her sleeves?"
OOC:
Not sure that Heat Metal would be enough to light the barrels on fire, but I know it does a lot of fire damage.
Last edited January 26, 2016 8:33 pm
Jan 26, 2016 8:35 pm
That sounds like it just might work, Ramas says, the grin growing on his face as well.

But we should have a plan for when those things blow. It's going to be loud, and bright. There will be lots of chaos, so we need to use that wisely.
Jan 26, 2016 9:22 pm
"But what if Crolwell is nearby? He could get caught in that explosion as well!" I'm already thinking of creative ways I could set the barrels on fire.
Jan 26, 2016 9:26 pm
He would, unfortunately we have no way of actually knowing where he is right now. Maybe we should have worked out some sort of signal ahead of time. Perhaps we should await his return first?
Jan 27, 2016 1:35 am
Ütés gently clears her throat. "Fire you say?" as she points to circlet of blasting she's wearing. "I think I could probably hit a couple of barrels from quite a distance with this."
Jan 28, 2016 2:35 am
Jan 28, 2016 3:19 pm
[Passing note to Crolwell]

That thing shoots fire? If so it should do the trick, but we still have to worry about where Crolwell is, Ramas responds, looking out through the slats some more.
Jan 28, 2016 3:21 pm
"Oh. Of course. Perhaps we can both target the barrels together!" I begin to flick little trails of flame from my wand.
Feb 2, 2016 3:13 pm
That is all well and good but we still have the matter at hand of locating your now invisible friend. I think he went into the keep, which should be far enough away from those barrels to not be badly damaged, but that is only my best guess as to where he is, Ramas says.
Feb 2, 2016 3:14 pm
"Well, I suppose I could... remove the enchantment?"
Feb 2, 2016 3:28 pm
"I feel that may even more inadvisable. If he is within reach of the enemy his sudden visibility may put him in grave danger", Ramas responds, trying to think of another plan.
Feb 2, 2016 3:35 pm
"I think we may just have to wait at this point," Aelar says, "I'd go looking, but I'd never be able to find him while he's invisible."
Feb 2, 2016 3:41 pm
Last edited February 2, 2016 3:42 pm

Rolls

stealth - (1d20-1)

(16) - 1 = 15

Stealth (Adv) - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Feb 2, 2016 3:44 pm
[ passing note to Crolwell ]
Feb 2, 2016 10:38 pm
"I can't imagine it will be too much longer before we get some sign of where he is." With a grin Ütés adds, "Afterall, he's bound to start playing his fluba at some point."
Feb 5, 2016 5:49 am
"Yes, the... fluba." I give her a half smile. "Pardon my forthrightness, but it is my impression that there is something a little bit different about that man. I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps I do not understand his speech patterns as well as I'd like."
Feb 6, 2016 3:54 am
I'm starting to become worried it has been too long. Should he not have been back by now to tell us what he found? What if they captured him...or worse., Ramas says, starting to pace a bit.

We need to think of our next step. If we can detonate those barrels that can buy us a distraction in, and we know the troupe is in a tower. Hopefully if we move fast enough we can get out during the distraction too.
Feb 6, 2016 4:04 am
"Alright, yes, I do believe the time to act is now!" I stand up straight and begin to dust of my robes, smoothing the wrinkles out a bit.
Feb 6, 2016 6:11 am
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggh".

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Feb 8, 2016 9:24 pm
Ramas is watching the Keep nervously with every passing minute of Crolwell being gone. He keeps his eyes on the large barn style doors that Crolwell was to sneak into. Suddenly he hears a loud cry and sees the doors fly open violently, as though a tornado whipped them open. They take out the two goblin guards just outside the doors.

Oh, no no no. Utes, Xadira, we need to detonate those barrels now. He is out of the way but he is certainly avoiding stealth now, he hurriedly says as he turns and grabs Utes' arm, Can you hit those barrels now? We will need to move fast and get into that keep.
Feb 9, 2016 10:50 pm
Jumping to attention as Ramas grabs her arm Ütés concentrates on the barrels and fires off a ray of fire from her circlet. "This is going to be loud..." she says as she starts to grin.
Last edited February 10, 2016 3:37 am

Rolls

Attack on the defenseless barrels. - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Feb 10, 2016 3:30 am
As Utes looses a beam of fire across the courtyard her aim seems to have been off, and the shot flies wide of the barrels. Ramas quickly runs to where the plain brown cloaks had been hanging, shouting as he runs, Xadira, do something, quick, please!

He grabs a cloak and drapes it over himself, grabbing more off the wall for all of you. These may help us draw less attention to ourselves.

As this is going on you hear very familiar cries coming from, what sounds like, everywhere in the courtyard. Crolwell is dashing back towards the stables but it is hard to tell exactly where he is. You randomly see a goblin become chopped in half.
Feb 10, 2016 3:38 am
"How could I have possibly miss..."

Seeing Ramas grabbing for cloaks Ütés runs over and takes one for herself and quickly throws it on.
Feb 10, 2016 4:06 am
I just shake my head. "Ütés, that was an admirable attempt but you've miscalculated the trajectory, if you just correct just slightly to the- oh right, yes!" I start moving towards the target, conjuring fire from fingertips. I send my new friend skywards to report back on a safe route to travel. I won't have time to do the scouting myself, not until we've moved somewhere safer. But this will have to do for now.

Rolls

Cantrip- Fire Bolt - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Feb 10, 2016 11:47 am
Ramas watches as Xadira flicks a bolt of fire towards the barrels. It streaks wildly and fizzles when it hits the stone wall on the other side of the courtyard. It also failed to hit the barrels.

Ramas looks around and finds a small oil lantern lighting the stables and stabs a bolt into it. As the end lights he loads it into his crossbow and fires it across the courtyard and looks on with growing horror as it sails wide of its goal as well.

This is not good, he mutters to himself.
OOC:
The DC to hit these barrels from this distance is 15. So far we have all missed. Aelar ca try or someone else can try again if they have another fire based ability.

Rolls

Light Crossbow Attack - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Feb 10, 2016 12:37 pm
I have another idea, but I'll need to get within 15 feet of the barrels. Where will we go afterwards?
OOC:
I've got a bunch of fire-based spells. Burning Hands auto-hits. I doubt using my 2 level scorching ray is a good idea. I mean, the barrels would be dead for sure...
Last edited February 10, 2016 2:58 pm
Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm
"Xadira, I know you can do this, give it one more try!"
OOC:
Granting Bardic Inspiration to Xadira (+1d6 to an attack roll!)

I don't have any fire based abilities besides Heat Metal and I'm not convinced that it'll work
Feb 10, 2016 2:15 pm
OOC:
Just be aware when those things blow, it's going to be a large explosion. 15 feet may be a dangerous range to be within.
Feb 10, 2016 3:00 pm
OOC:
is there enough time to cast and then dimension door out of there?
Feb 10, 2016 10:36 pm
"Good thing those barrels aren't attacking us..." Ütés mutters aloud after seeing two more attempts to hit the stationary objects fail.
Feb 11, 2016 2:36 am
You all hear a scream from an unseen something as that something is breaking wood and stone underneath an invisible weapon.
"The devil is this? Where are you keeping them, ya devils.". The invisible specter tries to hack at any goblin passing (and hopefully being distracting).

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Feb 11, 2016 4:52 am
Alright. I do believe I have the best plan given the circumstances. Make your way towards the tower. I will wait for you there! Wish me luck! And with that I run diagonally towards the barrels, creating a cone of fire that surrounds them in an instant. And just as quickly, I disappear.
OOC:
I'm heading in the direction of the tower where the prisoners are being kept. I hope to get as close as my Cloak allows, using what my hawk, now named Fawkes, showed me as a guide.
Last edited February 11, 2016 4:54 am
Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am
As the group runs, cloaks obscuring their faces and forms, Xadira lets off a cone of crackling fire as she leaves the group and closes the gap to the barrel. She skirts ever closer as the barrels begin to burn and just as the massive shockwave fills the area, the burning blaze immolates countless goblins, and as the keep shakes to its very foundation, Xadira blinks out instantly.

When she returns to this plane she is with her group inside the stable like area that was attached to the keep. This is the area inside the large double doors Crolwell had originally entered.

As you regroup here you can't quite see the side of the outer wall where the detonation happened, but you assume most of that side wall is gone. Simply rubble.

A few more moments and you feel another, much smaller tremor as one of the towers of the keep, it's base blown to hell after the blast, crumbles and peels off from the building. By the sounds of it it fell into the courtyard between the barrel pile and the stables you were in.

Xadira remembers that Aelar's troupe was in the north west (back left) tower of this keep. Inside this receiving area there is one exit off of here that is a small staircase going up towards the main keep. A wood door hangs slightly ajar at the top of it.
Feb 12, 2016 4:55 am
"I can show you the way to where they're keeping your troupe, Aelar but we should at least find Crolwell just to be safe. Has anyone seen him yet?"
Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm
"I saw the damage he was causing, and then the blast went off and I lost track of him."
Feb 12, 2016 2:00 pm
"I'm unsure as to the best course of action. I'm concerned for Crolwell's safety but there's no guarantee we can find him in the chaos. Do we climb the stairs towards the main keep?"
Feb 12, 2016 3:06 pm
I normally don't like the idea of splitting up, but should some of us wait here for him, and some head towards the tower?, Ramas replies.

He peeks out from the area you are in to see if he can spot any more goblins spontaneously dying in the courtyard.

Feb 13, 2016 1:29 am
"If we must split then Aelar and I should head to the tower. Once Crolwell has been located the rest of you should join us as quickly as possible." Ütés suggests.
Feb 13, 2016 1:34 am
Aelar nods, "That sounds good to me."
Feb 16, 2016 7:30 pm
"Alright. I will take on the task of finding Crolwell." I walk outside amidst the chaos and look for him, calling out when I see anything out of the ordinary. "Crollllllllwelllll!"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Feb 26, 2016 4:07 am
-- Inside --
Aelar and Utes follow the stairs up from this stables attached to the keep. They come to a door that is hanging ajar and slightly askew. It seems something tore the top hinge loose and the bottom one is barely hanging on. Inside the room you see a table with some cards and dice on it, as well as a few bisected goblin corpses on the ground. They still hold swords in hand as if they were ready to fight something but never got the chance.

In this room are makeshift cells with a few people that must have come in from the other wagon brought in to the keep. There is another door leading out of this room towards the keep, this one has been ripped completely off the hinges and is laying on the ground in about three pieces. You can see stairs spiraling upwards through the doorway.

-- Outside --
Ramas and Xadira walk out amidst the chaos, fire, and ruins of this keep. Most of the goblins are preoccupied with pulling survivors from the rubble of the fallen tower and destroyed wall. Fire still rages over by the wall where there is now a large chunk simply missing. It's as if a giant kicked right through a portion of the wall.

As you call around for Crolwell four goblins see you, despite the robes. As they near in, scimitars drawn, suddenly one gets split into two parts in a bloody mess and an invisible force shouts loudly. As the other two scramble around for what just happened another is crushed by an invisible force.

Looking around you see there has to be at least 10 goblin corpses around here that were not casualties of the blast.
OOC:
I'm not going to do notes for this party split, just double narration. What does everyone do?
Feb 26, 2016 11:02 pm
Ütés stands silent for a moment as she observes the destruction around here. Leaning over towards Aelar she quietly asks, "Crolwell?" Without waiting for an answer she'll approach one of the occupied cells and talk to the occupants. "Are you able to run?"
Feb 29, 2016 3:03 pm
Aelar nods, "Must be Crolwell," and then will walk over with Utes to check on the prisoners.
Mar 3, 2016 3:56 am
I walk towards the direction that I think Crolwell must be and stage whisper "Follow me! I know the way!" I also point up towards my new feathered friend. "Oh! And that is Fawkes. We'll have proper introductions when we're at a safer location." I nod towards air, and then begin marching in the direction of my compatriots.
Mar 6, 2016 3:05 am
-- Inside --

As Ütés and Aelar lean in towards a cage containing a prisoner a haggard old man lunches forward to the bars shouting, Run! You must flee! There is an evil presence here! An accursed spirit seeking vengeance on the goblins! he gestures to the bisected goblins among the room.

I heard it like some unholy demon, raging through like the wind!, he continues, a look of fear in his eyes. He retreats back from the bars of the cell.

-- Outside --

Xadira and Ramas find the general location of Crolwell. After hoping to lead him back to the keep they make their way back to the room the separated from Ütés and Aelar. As they turn to go, however, they find themselves toe-to-to with a very large Orc. He hefts a crude jagged axe up onto his shoulder.

Well, lookie what we got here...
Mar 6, 2016 5:30 pm
"Yes, the accursed spirit is actually a friend of ours, not a spirit at all..." Ütés says response. "... and unless you're a goblin you have no reason to fear him."

She takes a step back from the cage and looks to see if there is any obvious way to unlock it. "Would you look us to free you from this place?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Mar 8, 2016 6:34 pm
Caught by surprise, I scream and throw my hands up in surrender. I try to stall as I think up a plan. I say in Orc, "Oh! Hello, friend! We... we seem to be lost... won't you help us??" Beads of sweat roll down my face as I then quickly attempt to charm the rather terrifying Orc.
OOC:
WIS saving throw of 14. Ignore the roll, I was originally going to cast something else...
Last edited March 8, 2016 6:55 pm

Rolls

Charm person - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Mar 9, 2016 3:35 am
Crolwell easily falls for Xadira's charm. Smiling he gives a slight bow. "No need to worry, this guy doesn't stand a chance". Crolwell then spins around and slashes upward with his axe.
"Auuuuuuuuuugh"
OOC:
Sorry, everyone, I should be alive right now... should be...
Last edited March 9, 2016 3:36 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Attack (ADV) - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

DAMAGE!!! - (1d12+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Mar 9, 2016 3:40 am
As Xadira waves her hands around and speaks to the Orc the creature suddenly softens. Oy, it looks like we gots ourselves a pretty elf lady. Hello, names Chunk. Can I 'elp you wif anythin'? We dun see pretty ladies like you working around here much.

He is entirely ensnared by your charms and will do his best to aid you until the spell wears off or aggressive action is taken towards him. Just as this effect takes place, And invisible Crolwell runs in swinging his axe and connects it deeply with the Orc. Blood starts pouring from a newly opened wound and flows down around an invisible axe head.

The creature is snapped quickly out of his charm and he looks furious, and badly injured.
OOC:
Xadiras and Ramas can take an action before this thing retaliates.

Rolls

Orc save vs Charm - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Mar 9, 2016 8:54 pm
"Oh, dear!" I drop Crollwell's invisibility, then take a few step backwards before firing a frosty beam of blue-white light towards the Orc. I then turn around and run.
Last edited March 9, 2016 8:55 pm

Rolls

Ray of Frost - (1d20+6, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (12) + 6 = 18

1d8 : (5) = 5

Mar 9, 2016 9:10 pm
As the invisibility spell is lifted, Crolwell is seen standing with his hands on his hips. His brilliant green robe sagging to his feet and his long, untamed beard flapping like a white flag in the wind.
Mar 10, 2016 4:19 am
Inside

The clearly spooked old man gives you a confused look, You...you travel amongst demons? If only I had my instrument, I could ward us all from the evil. Freedom is all I seek. It is all any of us seek.

The various people in the cages, hearing this exchange start trying to holler to get your attention, asking you to release them. The room becomes loud with their calls for freedom.

Looking around the room you locate a small keyring on the bottom half of one of the bisected goblins, but they must have been held at the mid-section of this goblin when it was hacked. They are so bent and broken they are now unusable.

From this room there is still an exit with spiral stairs leading further up into the keep.

Outside

As the orc is about to retaliate at the invisible aggressor who becomes visible, standing gallantly, he his hit with a sudden frost ray and succumbs to the ice magic. His entire bulk freezes, hunched over, with an axe still sticking out of his chest. Xadira turns to run but looks back and sees that her magic has finished the fight already.

Ramas, having barely had time to draw his weapons is at an immediate loss for words. When he can find the words he speaks, It looks like this group, though unorthodox, is quite adept at handling themselves. Come, we should hurry to catch up to your friends, who knows what evil they may have run into. He re-sheathes his swords and starts running back towards the side entrance to the keep.
Mar 10, 2016 4:26 am
"Don't worry, old man, I'll get you out of here," Aelar says as he takes out his thieves tools to work on the lock.

Rolls

Unlock cell - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Try again? - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Mar 10, 2016 4:37 am
After a few attempts, distracted at first by the clattering and hollering of the cells around you manage to unlock the cell this man is in, it's a large communal cell, there are two of them, one of the north wall, one on the south wall.

Free of his cage the old man rushes out and gives you a big hug, his grip on you is fairly weak as he seems to be thin and wiry from lack of food and proper nutrition.

Thank you, thank you travelers. I don't know how you got here, but thank you. If you hurry you may be able to save more. They have been taking people further into the keep. I don't know for what purpose, but you can hear their distant screams every so often, he says, gathering up with the other prisoners.

I know not why we are here, but talking to the others the only clue I have to offer you is that we are all artisans. Crafters of fine instruments. Taken from our towns and cities, he says, unsure if the knowledge is useful to you or not.
Mar 11, 2016 12:16 am
Crolwell scratches his beard. Throwing his beard over his shoulder he pulls out his pocket fluba. "Finally! A man with taste! Someone who can enjoy the skill I have!" He begins playing the fluba, enjoying the sound of his own song immensely. Even if it sounded as if he were a little... unpracticed.

Rolls

Barbarian Fluba Preformance - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Mar 11, 2016 12:28 am
"That is useful. Thank you, Friend." Ütés will look about the room for something that may be able to pry bar or jimmy open locks.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Mar 11, 2016 2:02 am
I follow quickly after Ramas. Crolwell, did you learn anything of interest?
Mar 11, 2016 3:25 am
Ütés

You can't really find anything you could use as a pry bar. You try one of the little swords the goblins had, but the sword bends and buckles as you put force on it. No doubt sub-par materials and construction.

Crolwell

A performance fit for a king is played, unfortunately time is short and Ramas is more focused on getting you to the others. He gives a few compliments on your technique as he walks with you towards the keep. His comments are vague, but still give you a sense of worth.
OOC:
Everyone take an inspiration point if you don't have one. Remember you can spend that to gain advantage on any skill or attack rolls. You just have to choose to use it BEFORE you roll.

I give them out frequently so don't feel afraid to use them liberally.
Mar 11, 2016 3:33 am
Aelar moves to the other set of cages and attempts to open it.

Rolls

Thieves tools - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Mar 11, 2016 4:00 am
Aelar pops the lock on the other cage handily. As the prisoners here pile out and join the other group a young woman comes up to you. Her strawberry red hair matted and disheveled.

Sir, Ma'am, thank you for freeing us. We have naught much to give, but the man says true. We are all artisans of instruments. I want you to take this, I found this in the workshop upstairs when they brought me up to torture me, she says, lowering her gaze a bit, you see dried blood dots what was once a very fine dress, but now is little more than singed rags.

She hands you a small parcel. It's design is strange and unusual to you. In what appears to be common, in strange block letters reads, Elixer Nanoweb HD Bronze Guitar Strings. The packaging that wraps it is unusual as well. It's a flexible material, like cloth. But you can see through it like glass, but it has an unusual unfamiliar slick quality to it.

Inside the pack you see a nearly coiled metal wire. Looking closer you see this isn't just a wire, it's actually a strangely wrapped cool of metal. You've never seen such intricate and fine craftsmanship to anything like this.

It looks almost like a lute string, but somehow more than that.

They questioned and tortured me for hours. It seemed like they have questions they are asking all of us. About things I've never heard of. But there was another one in the tower. An old crazed man, I think he may be able to help you. There are also others up there. Still being held for torture. Please, help them.
Mar 11, 2016 4:07 am
Aelar gapes in awe at the beautiful gift he's been given, and finally finds his voice, "I cannot thank you enough for this, it's amazing. And we will most certainly help the others, we won't let them suffer at the hands of these monsters any longer."
Last edited March 11, 2016 5:29 pm
Mar 11, 2016 5:24 pm
"A magical item of some sort? Ütés asks Aelar as she gazes upon the gift. Realizing there are more important matters at hand she shakes her head. "Onward then? To the tower!"
Mar 11, 2016 6:47 pm
Just as you are about to head out the other half of the part comes into the room, a now visible Crolwell in tow. Ramas is still leading Crolwell and wraps up telling Crolwell about how he liked that his notes were very clear and defined.

Have you found out anything about Aelar's troupe? We just ran into an Orc outside. We should get out of here before this place pulls itself back together, Ramas says.
Mar 14, 2016 4:15 pm
"What have we missed? Where are we to go next?"
Mar 14, 2016 4:48 pm
"We know there are more prisoners stored in the tower, my troupe may be there."
Mar 14, 2016 4:50 pm
"Ah, yes, of course. Lead the way!" I stay in the back and wait for the others to get ahead of me.
Mar 18, 2016 9:30 pm
OOC:
Since there hasn't been a post of doing other things I'll assume everyone heads further into the keep.
As the group goes up the spiraling stairs they find themselves on the main floor of the keep. There is another staircase here going further up this tower you are in on the front corner of the keep, but you know you need to be at the back left (if you were to enter in the front door of this keep) tower.

The room you see is a massive open room almost like a church of sorts. There are no pews, just crates of supplies. Normally this room would probably be abuzz with goblins moving things too and fro, but now it is abuzz with goblins rushing outside to help figure out what is going on. The main keep is almost completely empty save for a few straggling goblins.

Daylight filters in through the massive hole that has been opened by the collapse of the front right tower (looking at the front entrance of the building again). You see black smoke filling the sky outside, no doubt from the aftermath of the blast. You hear one more blast go off outside. Not all of the barrels must have gone up at first.

Looking at the hole Ramas says, "I don't know how long this place may stand." Looking around you indeed see other bricks and sections of the wall near the missing tower are crumbling and breaking apart. Of the twelve support columns inside this large open cathedral the front right two have crumbled, the building is weakening.

What do you do?
Mar 20, 2016 8:16 pm
"Move quickly, don't stop to fight unless they engage us first," Aelar says, and then rushes forward to find the correct tower.
Mar 20, 2016 8:29 pm
Realizing that they may be close to finding Aelar's troupe Ütés falls in right behind the bard. "We're with you."
Mar 21, 2016 12:34 am
As you pass the three goblins in here do try to stop you but are woefully outmatched. Two fall quickly before your blade but the third runs away and up into the tower you are heading for. You make chase up the spiraling staircase but he stays just a step ahead. Just as you round the last of the stairs ahead of you you hear the wooden door leading to the main room up here slam and the goblin inside scream, "Gasher! Intruders!"
Mar 21, 2016 2:27 am
"Oh dear, they're aware of our presence! What should we do?" I look around for a place to hide, or for some sort of cover.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Mar 21, 2016 2:35 am
There is little cover. Even the crates down in the main keep are not large enough to make good cover. If you followed the goblin up the stairs to the tower there is virtually no cover.
Mar 21, 2016 2:37 am
"I'm guessing we're not going to be able to reason with someone called 'Gasher'"

Drawing her sword Ütés prepares to make entrance into the room.
Mar 22, 2016 3:51 pm
I follow behind Aelar, muttering for a few moments before a magical field surrounds a protective barrier around me.
OOC:
Casting Mage armor-AC now 16
Mar 22, 2016 4:57 pm
Aelar sighs and draws his rapier and dagger, prepared to fight.
Mar 22, 2016 5:29 pm
Ramas draws his swords, seeing the obvious cues where this is going from everyone else. Do we go in or wait for them to come out?"

From inside the room you hear a loud booming voice, "What!? In my keep? Looks like we will eat good tonight, boys! But first...". What follows is a high piercing scream punctuated by a loud SHUNK sound.
Mar 22, 2016 10:07 pm
Hearing the sound from within the room Ütés answers Ramas without even turning to face him. "We go in!"

Shield in hand and sword drawn she'll approach the door and swing it open.
OOC:
AC 19 with shield.
Mar 22, 2016 10:10 pm
Aelar follows right behind Utes, "That's the spirit!"
OOC:
Utes has a Bardic Inspiration die, 1d6

Add to any attack roll, save, ability check, weapon damage roll, or (as a reaction) add it to AC against an enemy's attack.
Last edited March 22, 2016 10:11 pm
Mar 23, 2016 2:12 am
As you crash through this door you find yourself in a 40 foot wide circular room. The light from outside streams in through six evenly placed windows around the room. This looks like it could have been living quarters at one point but has since become what appears to be a mix of prison, interrogation room, and medical lab. The defining feature, apart from the wrought iron cages around the perimeter that hold many people, is the wooden table in the middle of the room.

On this wooden table a ray of orange sunlight falls on the face of a woman. Her expression is a mix of terror and pain. Out of the center of this table, and this woman, sprouts a large, crude, jagged, axe. At the end of the axe is a massive green figure. His scarred face is twisted in a terrible smile. He plucks his axe, from the table, and the woman, with another SHUNK.

Those still in the cages cower back as far as they can, and then you see it. This woman again. The one on the table is also on the wall in front of the table in shackles. Her eyes are closed tightly, refusing to view the scene before them.

The hulking Orc turns to you, unsurprised by your entrance, Well, it looks like our food came to us! Who wants to eat!"

Three goblins in the room cackle and chime in at this. "Kill, kill! Feast on their flesh!"

Everyone roll for initative.

Rolls

Gasher Initiative - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Goblin Initiative - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Mar 23, 2016 2:14 am
Aelar narrows his eyes and growls in anger, "You're dead, fool."
OOC:
Is this orc wearing any sort of armor?
Last edited March 23, 2016 2:15 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Mar 23, 2016 2:20 am
OOC:
Gasher is in full chain mail.
Aelar...oh..., Ramas says not sure on the status of the woman but hoping there is still time.

Rolls

Intiative - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Mar 23, 2016 2:22 am
I stare at the Orc, then at the woman, then back at Orc.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Mar 23, 2016 2:35 am
Enraged at the sight before her Ütés loses all focus on anything in the room other than the giant Orc. Throwing her shield to the side she grabs her sword with both hands.
OOC:
EDIT: She wants her shield back now!!! :-)
Last edited March 23, 2016 2:36 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Mar 23, 2016 2:38 am
OOC:
Aelar reminded me I was doing side-based initiative to help the posting process. Thanks to Ramas' high roll the heroes go first. Feel free to post in whatever order. All characters start out about 10 feet away from the enemies.
Mar 23, 2016 2:44 am
"No!!" Before I realize what I'm doing, fire erupts from my hands in the direction of the Orc in front of us.

Rolls

Scorching Ray- Orc - (1d20+6, 2d6)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

2d6 : (64) = 10

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

2d6 : (21) = 3

1d20+6 : (13) + 6 = 19

2d6 : (45) = 9

Mar 23, 2016 2:44 am
Wasting no time Ütés lets out a battle cry and charges in towards Gasher taking a two handed swing for the beast's neck. She'll then reverse the grip on her weapon and attempt to impale the ugly creature.
OOC:
Using an Action Surge for a second attack.
Last edited March 23, 2016 2:46 am

Rolls

Initial Attack Roll (with Inspiration) and Damage - (1d20+6, 1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (14) + 6 = 20

1d20+6 : (13) + 6 = 19

1d10+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Action Surge Attack Roll - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (14) + 6 = 20

1d10+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

Mar 23, 2016 3:45 am
Aelar, enraged, rushes forward with Utes, stabbing at Gasher with his rapier. As he closes he yells out for his troupe-mate on the table and attempts to heal her with his magic.
OOC:
Casting Healing word as a 2nd level spell

Advantage came from inspiration, btw
Last edited March 23, 2016 3:45 am

Rolls

Attack with advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Healing word - (2d4+3)

(23) + 3 = 8

Mar 23, 2016 6:49 am
As the three of you enter in and spearhead Gasher, Ramas advances on the first of the goblins in the room. He draws his twin blades in route with a flourish and tries to dig them both into the lead goblin.

Rolls

Sword attack 1 - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Sword Attack 2 - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Mar 26, 2016 2:11 am
Xadira's scorching rays connect with the Orc scorching his face and arm, as well as heating the metal of his chain mail. His skin sizzles underneath. Before he can react Aelar and Ütés cleared the distance to Gasher, becoming a flurry of intertwining blades that slice at the Orc doing brutal damage. Aelar stops, calling out his healing word to the woman on the table. The woman he knows to be Talia, one of the twins of his troupe. The other hangs on the wall in front of her sister. His words seem to fall on deafened ears however. After a few tense moments, she does not rise.

Ramas, splitting from the rest hacks a goblin nearly in half as the creature falls to the ground in a bloody heap.
Mar 26, 2016 2:22 am
-- Enemy Turn --

One of the goblins, seeing they mean a fight jumps onto the table in the center of this room. He scrambles past the body on the table shouting, "Their own will kill them, then we can feast!". As it scrambles it picks up an object. Something small an almost impossible to make out in the action. He leaps from the table and lands clutching the chains of the woman on the wall. She screams in reaction and the goblin takes its action to shove something in the mouth of this woman on the wall. It looks almost as though he is pouring something into her mouth. Some black liquid. Some impossibly black liquid.

The other goblin alive swings at Ramas with its crude scimitar.

Gasher, now toe to toe with Utes swings his great axe with such speed and force she doesn't even notice the second strike coming as he brings it around twice.
OOC:
Gashers attacks do an extra d8 of damage if they hit, so if you are hit add that last roll onto the damage.
It's the hero turn again!

Rolls

Goblin vs Ramas - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

1d6+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Gasher vs Ütés (1) - (1d20+6, 1d12+4, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d12+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d8 : (8) = 8

Gasher vs Ütés (2) - (1d20+6, 1d12+4, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (18) + 6 = 24

1d12+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

Mar 26, 2016 2:44 am
Awkwardly ducking out of the way of Gasher's blade on his initial swing Ütés is caught flatfooted when the axe comes around a second time. Her training kicks in and she does her best to parry the attack and although she manages to take a bit of the strength out of his swing the axe still slices deeply into her shoulder.

Doing her best to block out the searing pain, Ütés screams out her company's battle cry as she grips her sword tightly and takes aim for the big Orc's neck.
OOC:
Using her Parry Maneuver as a reaction to reduce some of the 24! points of damage coming here way. She'll roll a Superiority Die (1d8) and add her Dexterity Modifier and that will be the total damage reduction.

Going to add my Bardic Inspiration die to that attack roll just to make sure.

Her battle cry re-energizes her (Second Wind).

Holy hell, went from 28HP to 4 and back up to 24 all in six seconds - not bad. :-)
Last edited March 26, 2016 3:01 am

Rolls

Parry Maneuver - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Attack Roll / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (10) + 6 = 16

1d10+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Bardic Inspiration for the Attack Roll - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Second Wind to regain some more HP - (1d10+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Mar 26, 2016 4:03 am
Noting that the fire seems to be effective against the Orc, I quickly release a bolt of fire in his direction. I then try to stay as far away from the unfriendly faces in the room as possible.

Rolls

Fire Bolt - (1d20+6, 1d10)

1d20+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

1d10 : (8) = 8

Mar 26, 2016 2:26 pm
Aelar continues attacking the beast, blades flying furiously as silent tears run down his face. He unleashes a feral growl as he thrusts both blades recklessly at Gasher's stomach.

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d8+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Dagger attack - (1d20+5, 1d4)

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d4 : (1) = 1

Critical! - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Mar 27, 2016 2:17 am
Ramas' twin blades almost sing through the air as they are brought to bear on the new goblin target in front of him.

Rolls

Short sword 1 vs Goblin - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Short sword 2 vs Goblin - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Mar 28, 2016 2:43 pm
Utes, taking a deep wound, but managing to push her limits and continue her assault catches Gasher off guard and slices a deep gash into him. He will earn that moniker today.

Aelar seems to have been driven into a new rage and flies at Gasher with both of his blades, the Rapier digs a deep gash in his neck and shoulder, but the Orc is still standing when the second blade comes around, and he turns out of it's path. The dagger only catches open air.

Gasher's path away from the dagger also moved him out of the line of fire for Xadira's fireball that whizzes past and fizzles against the stone wall behind Gasher.

-- Enemy turn --

Gasher, reading the flow of this battle disengages, moving nimbly past both Utes and Aelar and stops in front of the woman on the wall who is now coughing and sputting as whatever she has ingested is working it's way through her system. He draws out a small brass key and unlocks her shackles, spilling her to the ground. He drops a dagger on the ground next to her and turns to the rest of you, "Hehe, the first kill was on me, but I'll let you do the honors with this one", he says as he rumbles out a deep mocking laugh.

The last Goblin who was standing by Alanna cackles and parrots the last of his bosses words, "Yeah, with this one!" He charges Aelar and attempts to slash at him with his sword.

Hero turn begins!
OOC:
There is only Gasher, the goblin, and now Alanna left. Gasher isn't looking so hot, but he still has some fight in him. Alanna, for this round is simple coughing and sputtering on the ground.

Rolls

Goblin vs Aelar - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Mar 29, 2016 2:39 am
Having heard enough of the Orc's ramblings Ütés looks to finish him where he stands. Screaming out an elvish rhyme about Orcs being as dumb as they are ugly (you didn't think Risha would skip that when teaching her elvish, did ya?) she charges in on the wounded creature, sword swung low to her left, and unleashes as vicious an upward strike as she can manage.

Rolls

Long Sword Attack, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (9) + 6 = 15

1d10+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Mar 30, 2016 11:06 pm
Aelar spins away from the clumsy goblin's attack, then pivots back and rushes forward, blades flying at the goblin's torso.
OOC:
*sigh*
Last edited March 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Dagger Attack - (1d20+5, 1d4)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d4 : (1) = 1

Mar 31, 2016 3:29 am
Unsure of how to proceed (how is the Orc still standing?) I hurl acid at it.
OOC:
Choose one creature within range, or choose two creatures within range that are within 5 feet of each other. A target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 acid damage.
Mar 31, 2016 5:22 am
Ramas, seeing Aelar struggle as he swings at the goblin ducks around the table to get to him and swings at the goblin with his twin blades.

Rolls

Sword 1 vs Goblin - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Sword 2 vs Goblin - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d6+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Mar 31, 2016 5:28 am
Utes lashes out with an upward strike at Gasher, unfortunately her movements were spotted by the one-eyed Orc and he stepped to the side, laughing coldly. Is this really who they sent to kill ME!, the orc says, spittle flying from his mouth as he shouts.

Aelar slashes at the goblin but the small creature is too nimble and dances around his blade, parroting his boss once again, Yeah, kill ME! Kill ME! His words are fulfilled almost as they are spoken as Ramas plants two swords firmly through the abdomen of the goblin. It only says a light HUMPH as it slumps over dead.

Xadira, shocked by the resilience of this orc slings a glob of acid at the creature, but he manages to duck it and roars laughter once again. Even your fairy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

Rolls

Gasher Dex Save vs Acid - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Mar 31, 2016 5:35 pm
-- Enemy Turn --

Gasher stares down Utes, his laughter subsiding at the futile strikes of the solider, and lashes out with his great axe, the strikes both lightening quick. After the axe stops swinging he sees his other goblin soldier goes down in a heap. Gasher growls and makes a line for the door, which Utes sees as an opening for attack.
OOC:
Gasher attacks Utes twice and then tries to move to the door to escape. Utes gets an attack of opportunity which, if it hits, will stop his movement and prevent him from getting there.
In the chaos the form of Alanna stands, no longer coughing. Her voice his husky and her blonde hair obscures her face. She says, Aelar, they killed her. They killed her AELAR! She is dead because you weren't there for us! You failed to save her! You let us down! You. Let. Us. DOWN!, she flicks her head up, screaming the last words and you see her eyes are just black orbs. Veins have started to crawl across the sides of her face, obsidian black. She has grabbed the dagger, clutching it tightly in her hands, staring at Aelar.
OOC:
She has used her turn to stand up and talk. She stands maybe only 5 feet from Gasher and Utes, and maybe 15 from Aelar and Ramas, I think Xadira is probably at a range of 20 feet, slinging spells.
HERO TURN!

Rolls

Greataxe 1 vs Utes (plus additional d8) - (1d20+6, 1d12+4, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (15) + 6 = 21

1d12+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d8 : (5) = 5

Greataxe 2 vs Utes (plus additional d8) - (1d20+6, 1d12+4, 1d8)

1d12+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

1d8 : (1) = 1

Mar 31, 2016 6:05 pm
Aelar winces as her words wash over him and tears pour forth from his eyes. He frantically thinks of anything that could help keep Alanna alive in this situation. Suddenly he drops his dagger and waves his hands. A spell comes over Alanna, trying to make her sleep.

"I'll be there as soon as I can!" he yells to Utes as he waits to see if his spell worked.
OOC:
Casting sleep as a 2nd level spell!

I know it has a 20 foot radius, so I'm casting it in such an area that it won't extend out to Utes.

Really hoping Alanna doesn't have many Hit Points!

Also granting Bardic Inspiration (d6) to Utes as a Bonus Action:
Bonus action to give ally within 60 feet an Inspiration Die, may user to add to any attack roll, save, ability check, weapon damage roll, or (as a reaction) add it to AC against an enemy's attack within 10 minutes. Cha mod per long rest.
Last edited March 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Rolls

Sleep as 2nd level! - (7d8)

(6113281) = 22

Mar 31, 2016 6:52 pm
Alanna is breathing deep and ragged, rage is embedded on her face as the dagger hangs menacingly by her side, when suddenly her features relax. She stumbles for a moment, the dagger clatters out of her hand, and she falls to her knees, then slumps over on the ground in a deep slumber.
Mar 31, 2016 9:59 pm
Gasping in pain as the big Orc's axe once again slices into her flesh Ütés is convinced that she's in her final battle. But as Gasher's second strike comes around she spots an opportunity. Waiting for the last possible moment Ütés turns and ducks under the blade, pivots on her left foot away from Gasher and then pivots back bringing her blade right up between the beasts legs.

Scoring a solid hit, Ütés' confidence grows, maybe this isn't her final fight after all. Withdrawing her blade in the most painful way that she can come up with on the spur of the moment she pivots once again shifting her weight to her back leg and then lunges forward, sword straight out in front, as she tries to drive the blade into Gasher's heart.
OOC:
OK, Bardic Inspiration (thanks Naatkinson), and her Riposte Skill at play here...

Riposte: When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use you reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Since I'm not 100% sure that 17s a hit, adding the Bardic Inspiration the attack roll.
Last edited March 31, 2016 10:50 pm

Rolls

Orc Nut Buster Attack / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (11) + 6 = 17

1d10+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Superiority Die Damage - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Bardic Inspiration to Attack Roll - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Regular Attack Action / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (17) + 6 = 23

1d10+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Mar 31, 2016 10:14 pm
OOC:
That was your reaction, right? So you should still have your action available, I think
Mar 31, 2016 10:45 pm
OOC:
You're right! I was so caught up in the reaction trying to stop him from fleeing I totally forget. I'll edit the above post. Thanks!
Apr 1, 2016 7:21 pm
OOC:
Already discussed this in the OOC chat, but Gasher did manage to escape, not taking an AOO because Utes already used her reaction during his attack. For her turn she chased him out of the room to land her attack that she already rolled. Gasher is still alive, but he is looking in really rough shape.
Ramas makes chase after Utes and Gasher, but as he leaves the room he find Utes driving a sword into the Orc as he flees. Unfortunately there isn't enough room for him to get past and attack Gasher.
OOC:
Ramas follows the two out of the room. Xadira still needs to move and then its enemy turn.
Apr 1, 2016 8:20 pm
Worried that the Orc may be calling for reinforcements, I chase after him. Once he's in view and in range, I attempt to blast him with cold to slow him down.

Rolls

Ray of Frost (using Inspiration) - (1d20+6, 1d20+6, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

Apr 1, 2016 8:37 pm
As Utes catches Gasher in the back she feels a chill in the air as a icy blue beam arcs around her head and collides with the huge Orc. He lets out a solid HUMPH and staggers into the wall as the chill hits him.
OOC:
Solid hit. He still stands. He is inches from death.
Enemy turn

He continues trying to run but finds his movements stiff and harder to control. He pushes on none the less.
OOC:
He continues to try to move, and then dash to get away. This triggers an AOO for Utes. If she misses he will move an accumulated 40 feet further down the stairs this turn.
Alanna slumbers on the ground, her breath is still ragged and her rest seems uneasy.
OOC:
(54 seconds left on the spell. I'm calling each teams round as a 6 second span, instead of each persons turn. This is all happening rather fast.
HERO TURN!
Apr 1, 2016 8:38 pm
Aelar quickly looks around for something that he can use to restrain Alanna, then ties her up with it.
OOC:
Edit: Ugh!
Last edited April 1, 2016 8:39 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Apr 1, 2016 8:40 pm
Aelar sees no rope. But, too obvious to miss, and something I have already mentioned, there are cells around this room. All are currently occupied with either your troupe mates, or other prisoners.
OOC:
You would need to open one somehow...
There are also the shackles that previously held her.
OOC:
You will need to make a strength check to get her up into them. (DC 15)
Apr 1, 2016 9:02 pm
OOC:
haha I'm an idiot
Aelar attempts to lift Alanna back into her shackles.

Rolls

Str check - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Apr 1, 2016 9:07 pm
As Ramas, Utes, and Xadira are making chase with the retreating Gasher, Aelar hefts the sleeping Alanna back up into her shackles. He manages to get them hooked back on and takes the small iron key that Gasher had used to unlock them. He is now alone in the room with people calling out to him from all sides for rescue. Some, his own troupe mates, call not for help but to mourn the once living Talia, who still remains on the table with that look of horror embedded on her face.
Apr 1, 2016 9:19 pm
After hauling Alanna up to be restrained Aelar rushes out of the room to check on his companions, "I'll be right back," he yells to the people in the cells.
Apr 1, 2016 9:23 pm
I lean against a wall, nearly collapsing in exhaustion. This has been too much excitement for one day, but I can't let the Orc escape! I keep pushing on, launching yet another bolt of fire in its direction.
Last edited April 1, 2016 9:23 pm

Rolls

Fire Bolt - (1d20+6, 1d10)

1d10 : (8) = 8

Apr 1, 2016 9:41 pm
Once more it appears that Ütés has a chance to end this orc once and for all. As Gnasher attempts to flee Ütés swings her sword back and brings it around over her head, straight down at the chilly orc's head only to miss as Gnasher continues to run,
OOC:
Sure that's a miss so I'll continue on with her normal turn.
Surprised at the distance the wounded orc is able to gain on her, Ütés reaches for her crossbow and quickly fires a bolt at Gnasher's back.
OOC:
BALLS!
Last edited April 1, 2016 9:45 pm

Rolls

ATTACK / Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

1d10+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Crossbow Attack / Damage - (1d20+4, 1d8+2)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d8+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Apr 1, 2016 9:52 pm
As Xadira and Ütés are trying to strike at Gasher he flies down the stairs, two at a time, and travels 60 feet further down and out of the tower. A trail of blood droplets is all that is left.
OOC:
Another 60 feet and you have lost sight of the Orc as he traveled around the spiraling stairs. There is no open center to this, so dashing your whole next turn is the only way to gain sight of him, but then you couldn't act that round.
Hero Turn!
Apr 1, 2016 10:03 pm
Screaming out an elvish curse Ütés concedes defeat and walks dejectedly back to the room. "I should have finished the bastard!" she yells before realizing the toll the battle has taken. Leaning with her back against a wall she slowly starts to slide down into a sitting position with her legs extended in front of her. "Damned Orc!"
Last edited April 1, 2016 10:39 pm
Apr 1, 2016 10:34 pm
OOC:
For the record. He had 2 HP left. He was looking real rough.
As Ütés rests against the wall in the room, before the others return from the chase, she becomes aware of a robed figure crouching next to her when it extends a hand and puts it on her shoulder. You did the best you could, it was a most excellent attempt. I fear he was simply too heinous to be defeated so easily.

As she looks up she sees a rather old looking human male. Maybe in his 60s or so. His face is thin and gaunt. A tangled mass of curly blonde hair sits atop his head and his face is half concealed by an unruly blonde beard. He grins at you, and you see more than a few missing teeth.

He holds out his hand and offers it to you, Sorry, introductions, I'm Bill S. Preston, Esquire. You get the suspicion that this was the strange old man the prisoner downstairs had told you about.
Apr 1, 2016 11:00 pm
I stare out the window if the tower for any sign of the fleeing Orc. If that fails, I attempt to send my hawk after him.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Apr 1, 2016 11:03 pm
Though Xadira can't see him she sends her hawk out to find him.
OOC:
Do one more perception to see if your hawk can find him. (DC 15). On a success roll an attack with the bird. On a failure the Orc has escaped.
Apr 1, 2016 11:11 pm
My hawk takes to the air, circling around the tower in search of the Orc before diving towards it with it's talons for an attack.
Last edited April 1, 2016 11:13 pm

Rolls

Perception (with advantage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

Attack (1 damage if hits) - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Apr 1, 2016 11:13 pm
Your hawk spots the lumbering green shape. He has made his way down and out the hole in the front of the Keep. Lugging his ace he grabs the nearest horse from a goblin trying to escape the chaos and throws the small creature to the ground.

As your bird flies down to attack the Orc it misses it's dive and the Orc snags it out of the air. If you are viewing through the creatures eyes the last thing you see is the inside of the Orc's mouth as it bites down on the creatures head and rips it off. You see the far distant form of the Gasher escaping the keep on horse back.
Apr 2, 2016 1:25 am
Acting on pure instinct Ütés starts to take a swing at the man's hand as it approaches but she quickly holds herself in check. While appreciating the man's attempt to console her she ignores his statement, knowing in her mind that she failed in her task. With the man's hand extended Ütés slowly rises to her feet under her own power.

All business and not in the mood for any surprises she responds, "I am Ütés Arc. What do you know of this place?"
Apr 2, 2016 2:13 am
Aelar stumbles back into the room. Now that the battle is over all of his energy and adrenaline are gone. We walks over to Talia's body and closes her eyes, ignoring everything but her still form.

He leans down and places a tender kiss on her forehead, knowing that he'd never get the chance to tell her how he felt. He stands quietly for a moment, staring at the still form before him before he hands the key he found to Ramas and steps into the hallway. He finds a spot just a bit down the hallway and begins sobbing, unable to stop himself any longer. There he stays until someone comes to get him.
Apr 2, 2016 2:20 am
Ah, this place? Not sure, he seemed to have a thing for gothic castles. Never truly understood it. Too much time in...well...a different time I guess, the man says. He moves slowly but with some purpose as he turns to see Aelar leave the room. He leaves Ütés where she is and strides out to the hall where Aelar is.

Dude, I'm sorry about your lady. Do you by chance have an axe...er...lute. I forget here they're called lutes, he asks, seeming to have a fairly bad time of mourning and loss.
Apr 2, 2016 2:26 am
After a few moments of contemplation Ramas takes the key and unlocks Alanna from the shackles. She staggers forward on legs of a sleepwalker, barely holding her up. He quickly clubs her in the back of the head with the hilt of a sword and she crumpled, unconscious. He catches her as she falls and lays her down gently.

There, that should buy us some time with her. We may need to find a healer, I'm not even sure what this is. I've never seen this before. I had heard what happened to all of you and could hardly believe it.

As he says that the building shakes a bit more as you see the north east tower collapse. A good portion of the keep roof has caved in too. This tower may not stand much longer.
Apr 2, 2016 2:29 am
Aelar looks at the odd man before handing over his lute.
Apr 2, 2016 2:33 am
He plucks a few strings and tweaks the tuning pins a bit until he seems satisfied. "Righteous. So, dude. Your going to want to check this out...", he starts to say as suddenly the ground shakes and you hear what sounds like the third of the four towers collapsing. The old man looks around. "Oh, this timing is most heinous. Aelar, if you want to see your love again you need to go get her and we must away, and stuff." he slings the lute over his shoulder and, moving a little quicker this time, returns to the main tower room.

"We need to get everyone out quite soonly", the old man commands.
Apr 2, 2016 2:44 am
Aelar barely hears the words at first, caught up in grief as he is. Suddenly the words register and he leaps to his feet and rushes back to the room, "We have to go, now!" he says, picks up Talia's body gently and prepares to leave.
Apr 2, 2016 2:48 am
The old man remembers the lute and pulls it forward. He closes his eyes and trills out a small tune, the last note of which is punctuated by the collective clatterings of all of the cage locks opening in the room. The survivors inside, and the other members of Aelar's troupe are among those set free. The rest, unlike the sisters, seem relatively unharmed, if a little gaunt from lack of food.

Ramas hefts the other, now limp, sister over his shoulder and prepares to follow Aelar and the rest.
Apr 2, 2016 3:02 am
Feeling the ground shake beneath her feet Ütés braces herself against the wall as Aelar runs back into the room. "Go where?" she blurts but quickly realizes it's not the 'where' that's important right now. She quickly retrieves her shield as the bard takes Talia's body into his arms. "I'll lead! You take care of her..." she pauses as she realizes there are still prisoners in the room.
OOC:
There are still prisoners in the room, correct? I didn't see where any of the others had been released but I may have missed it.
Apr 2, 2016 3:04 am
OOC:
The old man played a tune that unlocked all the cells. The prisoners are there but you can all escape now. There will need to be a group agility check. Each person roll an Dex save to get out unscathed of this collapsing building. (DC 15). If more than half the group succeeds you all succeed.
Apr 2, 2016 3:07 am
Aelar follows the others out of the collapsing tower.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Apr 2, 2016 3:09 am
"Move! Move! Move!!"
OOC:
I took so long to post my last one I missed the part about the unlocking of the shackles. :-/
Last edited April 2, 2016 3:11 am

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Apr 2, 2016 3:11 am
Ramas does his best to dodge the falling ceiling pieces when they reach the bottom of the tower and must cross through the main keep.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Apr 3, 2016 3:30 am
"Ahhhh! My neck!" my hands immediately go to my neck where poor Fawkes had been ripped apart. Wordlessly, I drag my feet and follow the others outside.

Rolls

DEX save - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Apr 6, 2016 1:42 pm
OOC:
Rolling for absent teaanddice.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Apr 6, 2016 10:31 pm
OOC:
That'll learn him to be absent!
Apr 7, 2016 6:50 pm
The now large group of adventurers, Aelar's troupe, and captives round the bottom of the stairs to the last standing tower in this keep you see large chunks of stone are now collapsing from the roof of the keep into the space below. A mad-dash ensues, the more nimble in the group try and find a path to lead others through to avoid the collapsing building, but the group as a whole sustains some damage, and a few of the captives get crushed by falling debris.
OOC:
Everyone takes 5 bludgeoning damage.
Ramas leads the group up to the main wooden doors to the keep, shoulders the door open and leads the group outside. You find that the chaos started by the barrel explosion has absolutely devestated the keep and the gates outside. Mostly all that is left is various goblins trying to get out across the bridge leading in to the keep.

Outside you find a cart left behind, a stabbed goblin sits in the front seat, he seems to have been wounded by a sword. The horses look skittish and nervous, ready to run. A clear path to the front gate is seen. You can see the stables you had previously been in are open and the covered cart that was in there before is now gone, the prisoners must have made off in the chaos.

What do you do?
Apr 8, 2016 6:16 pm
"To the gate!!!" Ütés yells and dashes off in that direction.
Apr 8, 2016 6:37 pm
"Oh yes, of course!" I wait for the others to go ahead of me first, then I follow.
Apr 8, 2016 6:47 pm
Aelar readjusts Talia in his grip and follows after the girls.
Apr 8, 2016 8:22 pm
As you start running towards the gate many pile into the wagon that the goblin previously had attempted to pilot and they start heading towards the front gate. You cross the yard in front of the keep as you hear a loud rumble and feel the ground shake again. You look back to only a plume of dust where the collapsing frame of the keep once stood. It blows out past you and makes seeing a little more hard, but you are able to continue out the front gate.

A massive wooden drawbridge door opens out into a long bridge. Having come in hidden you didn't get to see too much of this, but just outside of the main gate is a 100 foot long stone bridge. Many castles are surrounded by moats of water, this instead has a moat of open chasm. The entire fortress rests on a single pillar of stone that goes down hundreds of feet.

As you reach the half-way point you feel the bridge and ground start to rumble again, massive cracking noises are heard as you race across the bridge. Turning back one more time you see the entire ground and walls around the keep are shifting, tilting just so slightly, yet the scale only makes it seem slight. As you finally cross the bridge you watch as the pillar holding all of this up starts to crack and fracture, buckling. The entire fortress sinks into the chasm and a few moments later the ground shakes violently once more. Then there is an eerily stillness.

You are no across the bridge from where the fortress once stood. Aelar has most of his troupe, you still have some of the survivors from the prisoners. You also have a mysterious new traveler who mentioned something about bringing Talia back before the keep began it's collapse.
Apr 8, 2016 8:41 pm
I turn towards the prisoners. "Oh, forgive my manners. I am Xadira Liadon. Are you all members of Aelar's troupe?."
Apr 8, 2016 8:49 pm
Much of the group comes forward, but only a few seem to notice Xadira's greeting. They instead crowd around Aelar, who holds the form of Talia in his arms. The silently mourn their fallen friend and place hands on Aelar's shoulder in a silent solidarity. The only one absent is Alanna, who slumbers unconsciously in the cart. Though unconcious she still breathes raggedly and the black veins spider across her face with a pulsing obsidian color.

One of the members does walk to Xadira, Hello, Xadira, I am Davos. We are not just his troupe, we are his family. I'm only sorry we had to meet under such circumstance. I unfortunately have seen Talia's demise many times before this, I am only upset I was not able to change the outcome. I can see her spark no more, he says, trailing off and looking solemnly at the ground.
Apr 8, 2016 8:51 pm
From the cart you hear the traveler, "That was definitely not excellent. I mean righteous show and all, but this is not what the Stallions stood for. Never." He seems to be talking more to himself than anyone in particular. He still holds Aelar's lute slung across his back.
Apr 8, 2016 8:55 pm
Aelar allows his troupe to mourn Talia for a moment before working his way over to Bill, "You said you could do something to help, right? Tell me what it is."
Apr 8, 2016 9:08 pm
Huh, Bill says, seemingly forgetting everyone was there for a moment, Oh yeah, elfy dude. Please, set her in the cart, and behold, he gestures his hands out wide, more for theatric flair than any practical purpose.

After you set her body in the cart he flings a large canvas tarp over her, so only her profile can be seen. You probably won't want to watch the process, it isn't exactly pretty. He pulls up the lute and starts to play a few notes, then tweaks one of the tuning pins again. He then begins to play a song that sounds so completely foreign. The tone of it is dramatic and inspiring, but somehow woven with pure dread and a slight kiss of death. Being a bard yourself, Aelar, you know how music can be woven with magic, but you've never heard it like this before. You've never heard this style of music.

A breeze starts to surround the group, like a whirlwind is sweeping around everyone. Bill picks up pace with the song and the wind gets more intense. There is a comfort in the breeze, but also that slight hint of something else. Not exactly sinister, but just...something.

The wind sweeps hair and dust up in a flurry and even the heavy canvas tarp begins to ripple. You can swear you see a shuffling of movement underneath, but with the fluttering of the canvas it's hard to tell. Bill stands in the driver section of the cart and suddenly jumps over the back of the seat and lands in the back of the cart as he strikes a strong chord. The sound of the lute seems to be coming from everywhere at once. Then suddenly it is over, and the wind ceases. Everything is quickly as calm as it was before.

"Now, dude, check it out", he says with a smile as he slides the tarp off of the body of Talia and you see that her deep wound is completely gone. It's as if it was never there, and you notice also how the chest, where the wound was, rises and falls. She is breathing. A moment later her eyes flutter open and she shrieks out and crawls backwards quickly in the cart. She stops in a moment and looks around, confused.

"What, where...but...", she manages to say and then turns to see Aelar sitting there at the end of the cart. She scramble across the back of the cart and nearly tackles him over. Aelar! You came for me, I knew you would! I knew you wouldn't let us down! Alanna, I told you!, she says as she grabs on tightly to Aelar.
Apr 8, 2016 9:16 pm
Aelar holds on tightly to Talia for a moment and he is unable to get the smile off of his face. After a few moments of holding her he pushes her back just long enough to lean forward and kiss her passionately. He doesn't stop holding and kissing her until someone interrupts them.
OOC:
*Alanna*
Apr 8, 2016 9:18 pm
She seems shocked initially, but leans into it as well. The troupe around his pretty much drowning out any sound with their joyous cheers. Davos, still standing near Xadira is silently weeping with joy. He also looks slightly puzzled, being a diviner of fortunes, as to what just happened.
OOC:
Yeah, totally what I meant.
Apr 8, 2016 9:25 pm
Ignoring the scene in front of me, I turn towards Bill quizzically, attempting to discern just what has transpired here. Some form of necromancy? No, that can't be it. Curious.
Last edited April 8, 2016 9:25 pm

Rolls

Arcana check? - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Apr 8, 2016 9:51 pm
"What have I just witnessed?" Ütés wonders, mouth agape as Aelar embraces the suddenly very much alive Talia.

"Excellent!" she blurts before quickly covering her mouth with her hand.

"Where did that come from?"
Apr 15, 2016 2:34 pm
Xadira studies the strange traveler and his use of bardic magic. It's something she has seen before, there are plenty of bards with magical abilities, who have found a way to interweave the magical energies with their music and words. This however is unlike anything she has seen before. She does recall a few dusty tomes, often written by those who have been driven mad, or who soon after took their own lives after penning the secrets and horrors of the magical realm they have found.

One stands out against the rest. A book written by an ancient wizard known only as 'Rufus the Mad'. The book was hard to follow to say the least. Most were incoherent ramblings and there were even passages of a single repeated phrase over and over. Phonebooth. Scrawled in ruby red ink across dozens of pages.

Among this tome of madness, which didn't truly have a proper title, there were certain coherent passages, and on in particular talked about travelers from "beyond our lands" and their abilities to weave powerful bardic magic beyond that of any mere human. They pulled their power not from the same magical energies of our world, but from the many planes of existence they have travelled. After that the passage quickly descended into rantings about light and shadow that seemed to have no real meaning.

'Rufus the Mad' had only ever penned this one tome and was never heard from again. Most assume he took his own life as well, as many of the mad writers often do.
Apr 15, 2016 2:54 pm
"They were looking for you. For what purpose? Are you an apprentice of Rufus the Mad?" I blurt out questions as soon as they come to mind.
Apr 15, 2016 3:00 pm
The smile on the face of Bill suddenly turns downward, Rufus, that's a name I haven't heard for some time. he stares off a bit in the middle distance before turning back to you.

I guess you could say we were his apprentices, or he was ours. Time is a little crazy like that. They kept me here by order of that back stabber. Unfortunately, without my axe I'm not much more than you see before you. Just an old dude who has parties a bit too hard over the years.
Apr 19, 2016 5:51 pm
"Without your... axe?" I study his face to see if he's telling the truth. Or, perhaps, to detect whether madness has taken him.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Apr 20, 2016 2:52 am
From what you can tell about this man he seems to be sincere in his words, even if they don't seem to make sense to you.
Apr 22, 2016 5:19 am
"Where are you headed now? Are you... searching for the axe?"
Apr 26, 2016 2:43 am
Yes, it may be my one key back to my home. The instruments here, they simply do not possess the power needed to travel back, Bill says. He has sort of just been staring whist fully into the middle distance.
May 1, 2016 10:26 pm
"Very well. I'd like to learn more about this magic you wield. It's quite fascinating! Ütés, Aelar... Aelar! Oh dear. Perhaps we should leave him with his betrothed." I look uncertainly between my four traveling companions.
Last edited May 1, 2016 10:28 pm
May 3, 2016 2:28 am
"Leave him? No, but we should give him a little time. Actually I could use a little myself to recover a bit."
May 5, 2016 1:56 pm
As things wind down from the excitement of Talia's resurection, she notices her sister still overcome with some sort of poison. Bill looks at Alanna's face and puts a hand on Talia's shoulder, She will live. The toxin is crazy powerful, but it passes quickly. Hopefully she will have no memories of any of this.

The group saddles up to head back to the port to make their boat back to the mainland. Torment is awaiting them, loading up more crates to take back to the mainland as the group arrives.

Xadira no doubt spends most of the trip berating Bill with questions, about anything and everything. For the most part he simply says he will tell you everything in due time. Ramas agrees it would be best to tell the full story to the Dagger's once back to the mainland.

Once on the ship it's a smooth trip back in which you all have a chance to rest up and regain your strength. Aelar, Tiana, and the rest of his troupe are reunited and spend much of their time catching up and sharing old stories.

Utes knows there is still one more leg of this journey. With the troupe safe there is but one person left to save. The prince.
OOC:
Is there anything in particular anyone wants to ask of the new people in this group, or of Bill during the trip back to the mainland? If not I will fast forward to the end of this chapter and your arrival back with The Dagger's at their hideout in Neverwinter.

You will all gain one more level during your trip back. I THINK that puts everyone at 4?
May 6, 2016 1:53 pm
OOC:
Yes, we are all level 4 now :)
May 9, 2016 10:48 pm
I spend the rest of the journey back jotting down all my notes and using the magical cloak whenever I'm able, lamenting the fact that I'll likely have to return it to the Daggers.

Thread locked