Chapter 2 - The Fortress

load previous
Mar 3, 2016 3:56 am
I walk towards the direction that I think Crolwell must be and stage whisper "Follow me! I know the way!" I also point up towards my new feathered friend. "Oh! And that is Fawkes. We'll have proper introductions when we're at a safer location." I nod towards air, and then begin marching in the direction of my compatriots.
Mar 6, 2016 3:05 am
-- Inside --

As Ütés and Aelar lean in towards a cage containing a prisoner a haggard old man lunches forward to the bars shouting, Run! You must flee! There is an evil presence here! An accursed spirit seeking vengeance on the goblins! he gestures to the bisected goblins among the room.

I heard it like some unholy demon, raging through like the wind!, he continues, a look of fear in his eyes. He retreats back from the bars of the cell.

-- Outside --

Xadira and Ramas find the general location of Crolwell. After hoping to lead him back to the keep they make their way back to the room the separated from Ütés and Aelar. As they turn to go, however, they find themselves toe-to-to with a very large Orc. He hefts a crude jagged axe up onto his shoulder.

Well, lookie what we got here...
Mar 6, 2016 5:30 pm
"Yes, the accursed spirit is actually a friend of ours, not a spirit at all..." Ütés says response. "... and unless you're a goblin you have no reason to fear him."

She takes a step back from the cage and looks to see if there is any obvious way to unlock it. "Would you look us to free you from this place?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Mar 8, 2016 6:34 pm
Caught by surprise, I scream and throw my hands up in surrender. I try to stall as I think up a plan. I say in Orc, "Oh! Hello, friend! We... we seem to be lost... won't you help us??" Beads of sweat roll down my face as I then quickly attempt to charm the rather terrifying Orc.
OOC:
WIS saving throw of 14. Ignore the roll, I was originally going to cast something else...
Last edited March 8, 2016 6:55 pm

Rolls

Charm person - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Mar 9, 2016 3:35 am
Crolwell easily falls for Xadira's charm. Smiling he gives a slight bow. "No need to worry, this guy doesn't stand a chance". Crolwell then spins around and slashes upward with his axe.
"Auuuuuuuuuugh"
OOC:
Sorry, everyone, I should be alive right now... should be...
Last edited March 9, 2016 3:36 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Attack (ADV) - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

DAMAGE!!! - (1d12+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Mar 9, 2016 3:40 am
As Xadira waves her hands around and speaks to the Orc the creature suddenly softens. Oy, it looks like we gots ourselves a pretty elf lady. Hello, names Chunk. Can I 'elp you wif anythin'? We dun see pretty ladies like you working around here much.

He is entirely ensnared by your charms and will do his best to aid you until the spell wears off or aggressive action is taken towards him. Just as this effect takes place, And invisible Crolwell runs in swinging his axe and connects it deeply with the Orc. Blood starts pouring from a newly opened wound and flows down around an invisible axe head.

The creature is snapped quickly out of his charm and he looks furious, and badly injured.
OOC:
Xadiras and Ramas can take an action before this thing retaliates.

Rolls

Orc save vs Charm - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Mar 9, 2016 8:54 pm
"Oh, dear!" I drop Crollwell's invisibility, then take a few step backwards before firing a frosty beam of blue-white light towards the Orc. I then turn around and run.
Last edited March 9, 2016 8:55 pm

Rolls

Ray of Frost - (1d20+6, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (12) + 6 = 18

1d8 : (5) = 5

Mar 9, 2016 9:10 pm
As the invisibility spell is lifted, Crolwell is seen standing with his hands on his hips. His brilliant green robe sagging to his feet and his long, untamed beard flapping like a white flag in the wind.
Mar 10, 2016 4:19 am
Inside

The clearly spooked old man gives you a confused look, You...you travel amongst demons? If only I had my instrument, I could ward us all from the evil. Freedom is all I seek. It is all any of us seek.

The various people in the cages, hearing this exchange start trying to holler to get your attention, asking you to release them. The room becomes loud with their calls for freedom.

Looking around the room you locate a small keyring on the bottom half of one of the bisected goblins, but they must have been held at the mid-section of this goblin when it was hacked. They are so bent and broken they are now unusable.

From this room there is still an exit with spiral stairs leading further up into the keep.

Outside

As the orc is about to retaliate at the invisible aggressor who becomes visible, standing gallantly, he his hit with a sudden frost ray and succumbs to the ice magic. His entire bulk freezes, hunched over, with an axe still sticking out of his chest. Xadira turns to run but looks back and sees that her magic has finished the fight already.

Ramas, having barely had time to draw his weapons is at an immediate loss for words. When he can find the words he speaks, It looks like this group, though unorthodox, is quite adept at handling themselves. Come, we should hurry to catch up to your friends, who knows what evil they may have run into. He re-sheathes his swords and starts running back towards the side entrance to the keep.
Mar 10, 2016 4:26 am
"Don't worry, old man, I'll get you out of here," Aelar says as he takes out his thieves tools to work on the lock.

Rolls

Unlock cell - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Try again? - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Mar 10, 2016 4:37 am
After a few attempts, distracted at first by the clattering and hollering of the cells around you manage to unlock the cell this man is in, it's a large communal cell, there are two of them, one of the north wall, one on the south wall.

Free of his cage the old man rushes out and gives you a big hug, his grip on you is fairly weak as he seems to be thin and wiry from lack of food and proper nutrition.

Thank you, thank you travelers. I don't know how you got here, but thank you. If you hurry you may be able to save more. They have been taking people further into the keep. I don't know for what purpose, but you can hear their distant screams every so often, he says, gathering up with the other prisoners.

I know not why we are here, but talking to the others the only clue I have to offer you is that we are all artisans. Crafters of fine instruments. Taken from our towns and cities, he says, unsure if the knowledge is useful to you or not.
Mar 11, 2016 12:16 am
Crolwell scratches his beard. Throwing his beard over his shoulder he pulls out his pocket fluba. "Finally! A man with taste! Someone who can enjoy the skill I have!" He begins playing the fluba, enjoying the sound of his own song immensely. Even if it sounded as if he were a little... unpracticed.

Rolls

Barbarian Fluba Preformance - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Mar 11, 2016 12:28 am
"That is useful. Thank you, Friend." Ütés will look about the room for something that may be able to pry bar or jimmy open locks.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Mar 11, 2016 2:02 am
I follow quickly after Ramas. Crolwell, did you learn anything of interest?
Mar 11, 2016 3:25 am
Ütés

You can't really find anything you could use as a pry bar. You try one of the little swords the goblins had, but the sword bends and buckles as you put force on it. No doubt sub-par materials and construction.

Crolwell

A performance fit for a king is played, unfortunately time is short and Ramas is more focused on getting you to the others. He gives a few compliments on your technique as he walks with you towards the keep. His comments are vague, but still give you a sense of worth.
OOC:
Everyone take an inspiration point if you don't have one. Remember you can spend that to gain advantage on any skill or attack rolls. You just have to choose to use it BEFORE you roll.

I give them out frequently so don't feel afraid to use them liberally.
Mar 11, 2016 3:33 am
Aelar moves to the other set of cages and attempts to open it.

Rolls

Thieves tools - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Mar 11, 2016 4:00 am
Aelar pops the lock on the other cage handily. As the prisoners here pile out and join the other group a young woman comes up to you. Her strawberry red hair matted and disheveled.

Sir, Ma'am, thank you for freeing us. We have naught much to give, but the man says true. We are all artisans of instruments. I want you to take this, I found this in the workshop upstairs when they brought me up to torture me, she says, lowering her gaze a bit, you see dried blood dots what was once a very fine dress, but now is little more than singed rags.

She hands you a small parcel. It's design is strange and unusual to you. In what appears to be common, in strange block letters reads, Elixer Nanoweb HD Bronze Guitar Strings. The packaging that wraps it is unusual as well. It's a flexible material, like cloth. But you can see through it like glass, but it has an unusual unfamiliar slick quality to it.

Inside the pack you see a nearly coiled metal wire. Looking closer you see this isn't just a wire, it's actually a strangely wrapped cool of metal. You've never seen such intricate and fine craftsmanship to anything like this.

It looks almost like a lute string, but somehow more than that.

They questioned and tortured me for hours. It seemed like they have questions they are asking all of us. About things I've never heard of. But there was another one in the tower. An old crazed man, I think he may be able to help you. There are also others up there. Still being held for torture. Please, help them.
Mar 11, 2016 4:07 am
Aelar gapes in awe at the beautiful gift he's been given, and finally finds his voice, "I cannot thank you enough for this, it's amazing. And we will most certainly help the others, we won't let them suffer at the hands of these monsters any longer."
Last edited March 11, 2016 5:29 pm
Mar 11, 2016 5:24 pm
"A magical item of some sort? Ütés asks Aelar as she gazes upon the gift. Realizing there are more important matters at hand she shakes her head. "Onward then? To the tower!"
Mar 11, 2016 6:47 pm
Just as you are about to head out the other half of the part comes into the room, a now visible Crolwell in tow. Ramas is still leading Crolwell and wraps up telling Crolwell about how he liked that his notes were very clear and defined.

Have you found out anything about Aelar's troupe? We just ran into an Orc outside. We should get out of here before this place pulls itself back together, Ramas says.
load next

Thread locked