Chapter 2 - The Fortress

load previous
Feb 10, 2016 4:06 am
I just shake my head. "Ütés, that was an admirable attempt but you've miscalculated the trajectory, if you just correct just slightly to the- oh right, yes!" I start moving towards the target, conjuring fire from fingertips. I send my new friend skywards to report back on a safe route to travel. I won't have time to do the scouting myself, not until we've moved somewhere safer. But this will have to do for now.

Rolls

Cantrip- Fire Bolt - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Feb 10, 2016 11:47 am
Ramas watches as Xadira flicks a bolt of fire towards the barrels. It streaks wildly and fizzles when it hits the stone wall on the other side of the courtyard. It also failed to hit the barrels.

Ramas looks around and finds a small oil lantern lighting the stables and stabs a bolt into it. As the end lights he loads it into his crossbow and fires it across the courtyard and looks on with growing horror as it sails wide of its goal as well.

This is not good, he mutters to himself.
OOC:
The DC to hit these barrels from this distance is 15. So far we have all missed. Aelar ca try or someone else can try again if they have another fire based ability.

Rolls

Light Crossbow Attack - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Feb 10, 2016 12:37 pm
I have another idea, but I'll need to get within 15 feet of the barrels. Where will we go afterwards?
OOC:
I've got a bunch of fire-based spells. Burning Hands auto-hits. I doubt using my 2 level scorching ray is a good idea. I mean, the barrels would be dead for sure...
Last edited February 10, 2016 2:58 pm
Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm
"Xadira, I know you can do this, give it one more try!"
OOC:
Granting Bardic Inspiration to Xadira (+1d6 to an attack roll!)

I don't have any fire based abilities besides Heat Metal and I'm not convinced that it'll work
Feb 10, 2016 2:15 pm
OOC:
Just be aware when those things blow, it's going to be a large explosion. 15 feet may be a dangerous range to be within.
Feb 10, 2016 3:00 pm
OOC:
is there enough time to cast and then dimension door out of there?
Feb 10, 2016 10:36 pm
"Good thing those barrels aren't attacking us..." Ütés mutters aloud after seeing two more attempts to hit the stationary objects fail.
Feb 11, 2016 2:36 am
You all hear a scream from an unseen something as that something is breaking wood and stone underneath an invisible weapon.
"The devil is this? Where are you keeping them, ya devils.". The invisible specter tries to hack at any goblin passing (and hopefully being distracting).

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Feb 11, 2016 4:52 am
Alright. I do believe I have the best plan given the circumstances. Make your way towards the tower. I will wait for you there! Wish me luck! And with that I run diagonally towards the barrels, creating a cone of fire that surrounds them in an instant. And just as quickly, I disappear.
OOC:
I'm heading in the direction of the tower where the prisoners are being kept. I hope to get as close as my Cloak allows, using what my hawk, now named Fawkes, showed me as a guide.
Last edited February 11, 2016 4:54 am
Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am
As the group runs, cloaks obscuring their faces and forms, Xadira lets off a cone of crackling fire as she leaves the group and closes the gap to the barrel. She skirts ever closer as the barrels begin to burn and just as the massive shockwave fills the area, the burning blaze immolates countless goblins, and as the keep shakes to its very foundation, Xadira blinks out instantly.

When she returns to this plane she is with her group inside the stable like area that was attached to the keep. This is the area inside the large double doors Crolwell had originally entered.

As you regroup here you can't quite see the side of the outer wall where the detonation happened, but you assume most of that side wall is gone. Simply rubble.

A few more moments and you feel another, much smaller tremor as one of the towers of the keep, it's base blown to hell after the blast, crumbles and peels off from the building. By the sounds of it it fell into the courtyard between the barrel pile and the stables you were in.

Xadira remembers that Aelar's troupe was in the north west (back left) tower of this keep. Inside this receiving area there is one exit off of here that is a small staircase going up towards the main keep. A wood door hangs slightly ajar at the top of it.
Feb 12, 2016 4:55 am
"I can show you the way to where they're keeping your troupe, Aelar but we should at least find Crolwell just to be safe. Has anyone seen him yet?"
Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm
"I saw the damage he was causing, and then the blast went off and I lost track of him."
Feb 12, 2016 2:00 pm
"I'm unsure as to the best course of action. I'm concerned for Crolwell's safety but there's no guarantee we can find him in the chaos. Do we climb the stairs towards the main keep?"
Feb 12, 2016 3:06 pm
I normally don't like the idea of splitting up, but should some of us wait here for him, and some head towards the tower?, Ramas replies.

He peeks out from the area you are in to see if he can spot any more goblins spontaneously dying in the courtyard.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to teaanddice
[passing note to Crolwell]
Feb 13, 2016 1:29 am
"If we must split then Aelar and I should head to the tower. Once Crolwell has been located the rest of you should join us as quickly as possible." Ütés suggests.
Feb 13, 2016 1:34 am
Aelar nods, "That sounds good to me."
Feb 16, 2016 7:30 pm
"Alright. I will take on the task of finding Crolwell." I walk outside amidst the chaos and look for him, calling out when I see anything out of the ordinary. "Crollllllllwelllll!"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Feb 26, 2016 4:07 am
-- Inside --
Aelar and Utes follow the stairs up from this stables attached to the keep. They come to a door that is hanging ajar and slightly askew. It seems something tore the top hinge loose and the bottom one is barely hanging on. Inside the room you see a table with some cards and dice on it, as well as a few bisected goblin corpses on the ground. They still hold swords in hand as if they were ready to fight something but never got the chance.

In this room are makeshift cells with a few people that must have come in from the other wagon brought in to the keep. There is another door leading out of this room towards the keep, this one has been ripped completely off the hinges and is laying on the ground in about three pieces. You can see stairs spiraling upwards through the doorway.

-- Outside --
Ramas and Xadira walk out amidst the chaos, fire, and ruins of this keep. Most of the goblins are preoccupied with pulling survivors from the rubble of the fallen tower and destroyed wall. Fire still rages over by the wall where there is now a large chunk simply missing. It's as if a giant kicked right through a portion of the wall.

As you call around for Crolwell four goblins see you, despite the robes. As they near in, scimitars drawn, suddenly one gets split into two parts in a bloody mess and an invisible force shouts loudly. As the other two scramble around for what just happened another is crushed by an invisible force.

Looking around you see there has to be at least 10 goblin corpses around here that were not casualties of the blast.
OOC:
I'm not going to do notes for this party split, just double narration. What does everyone do?
Feb 26, 2016 11:02 pm
Ütés stands silent for a moment as she observes the destruction around here. Leaning over towards Aelar she quietly asks, "Crolwell?" Without waiting for an answer she'll approach one of the occupied cells and talk to the occupants. "Are you able to run?"
Feb 29, 2016 3:03 pm
Aelar nods, "Must be Crolwell," and then will walk over with Utes to check on the prisoners.
load next

Thread locked