Chapter 9: The Labyrinth

load previous
Mar 19, 2020 6:42 am
"Can't we just get the feathers without having to fight?" asks Elayna, who looks very uncomfortable at the idea.
Mar 19, 2020 12:06 pm
"If the rest of you valiantly distract this behemoth, I'm sure I can get the feathers," Ælfric said with a chuckle.
Mar 19, 2020 2:09 pm
I'm willing to let you try getting them without a fight, but at the first sign of troubles, I'm definitely going to be leaping in with full fury and let my blade be my voice. she says, gravelly voice barely hiding the excitement that seems to be building inside her.
Mar 19, 2020 5:12 pm
"I was joking," Ælfric added bluntly. "I can't sneak around a demon lord! Even if you drew him away from that chamber and took him down this unknown path while I got the feathers, you all would still be pursued by a demon lord!"
Mar 19, 2020 5:23 pm
"But we have to do this, right?" says Elayna, more to herself than anyone else. "If we don't, a lot of people will suffer."
Mar 20, 2020 1:05 am
More than that I'm afraid, Seftan says with a grim expression,

If these beings are allowed to run rampant we may live to see the end of life as we know it. Great evils lurk down here, ancient and unspeakable.
Mar 20, 2020 1:10 am
"Which is why I say we take the fight to the bastard, all of us! If we split up to try subterfuge, it'll digest us piece by piece."
OOC:
Part of me wants to explore the other direction but we've got our primary objective in sight ahead.
Mar 20, 2020 6:51 am
I've been trying to think of the best way to use my power to help with the fight, I have several options...

Seftan paces around nervously, clasping his hands together with anxiety.

I can bolster our warriors life force a bit, that's easy enough, but it's not much. I could protect one of you from the brunt of its attacks, or speed one of you up until you moved as a blur... but I think the best gem in my pocket might just be to turn one of you into a creature of legend such as a dragon or a roc. Or even an angel. I realize the irony in that but trust me, any angel I changed one of you into would not serve our purposes feather-wise.
Mar 20, 2020 12:38 pm
"Would you like to be an angel, Elayna?" Ælfric asked in all seriousness. "It suits you."
Mar 20, 2020 3:55 pm
"I don't understand," says Elayna, looking oddly at these strangers that can just casually mention the heights of their power.
Mar 20, 2020 4:06 pm
"Well, maybe not an angel but surely some large, dangerous creature. I believe Seftan could transform you into a powerful beast able to stand toe to toe against this demon lord... at least for a little while."
OOC:
Polymorph? I think you can only do Beasts. Dragons are their own type of creature.
Mar 20, 2020 4:22 pm
Elayna frowns, decidedly uncertain about the prospect. "I don't know if I want to be a beast."
Mar 20, 2020 5:37 pm
Sarith steps up beside Elayna, "You don't have to if you don't want to," he says surprisingly gently, laying a hand on her shoulder, "You'll be safe either way. Trust me."
Mar 20, 2020 9:34 pm
"Of course she doesn't have to do anything. We're not savages. We just need everyone here to be as dangerous as they can be because there are no guarantees of safety when fighting something like this. You either go all in or you never go home."

Ælfric stopped short of outright saying the girl seemed weak but that assumption certainly hung in the air with his words.
Mar 20, 2020 9:59 pm
It's fine, forget the beast thing, I will do what I can to help.

Seftan realizes that he has been pacing and stops, shaking out his hands to relieve the tension.
OOC:
Yeah I had overlooked that little clause, thanks for the heads up.
Last edited March 20, 2020 9:59 pm
Mar 20, 2020 10:02 pm
Elayna takes a breath. "Let's go."
Mar 21, 2020 2:29 am
OOC:
DM: are we basically right around the corner from the supposed Baphomet fight? Like, is this my last chance to cast buffs before we go in?
Mar 21, 2020 5:34 pm
dominion451 says:
OOC:
DM: are we basically right around the corner from the supposed Baphomet fight? Like, is this my last chance to cast buffs before we go in?
OOC:
Pretty much!
Mar 22, 2020 9:59 pm
Windreaper hungers. I have a small gift of my mother's people that will aid us. My ancestors will come at my call, but they don't answer the call frequently. I'll save it for the moment we need them most. Deathwake says, patting a small silver horn that hangs at her hip.
Mar 22, 2020 11:48 pm
"If we are decided, I will cloak us now. We will be able to hide much more effectively but the demon lord may have some way of tracking us magically. Stay within about thirty feet of me for the cloaking to work. Apart from that? Pray to whatever gods you have. We'll need the assist. Your ancestors, too, Deathwake. They do excellent work. Let's go!"

A swirl of dimness and silence surrounded everyone as Ælfric's cloaking field engulfed them. With that, Ælfric moved to take point and signaled the horse-man to join him should he choose to.
OOC:
Casting Pass Without Trace on everyone: +10 to Stealth for 1 hour if you stay within 30 feet of Ælfric plus you can only be tracked magically.
Also casting Longstrider on Ælfric for an extra 10 feet of movement, bringing his total move to 45 ft.
OOC:
Reliable Talent makes that Stealth total 33. Damn.
And a 20 on Perception! Ælfric sees through walls! :P
Last edited March 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Rolls

Stealth (+Pass Without Trace) - (1d20+23)

(4) + 23 = 27

Perception - (1d20+9)

(20) + 9 = 29

load next

Thread locked