Chapter 4: New Day

load previous
Aug 22, 2019 6:39 pm
"I wish I could tell you, I truly do," says Athisa. "To be honest, records of the preserves -- if they were ever kept -- are long since gone and passed into rumor and legend. They were never my particular area of study, but everyone in my line of work has spent some time looking into them in some way. So here is what I can tell you that is considered reliable..."

She goes on to explain that soon after the Great Advancement, the Valerman leadership -- for they never followed the same model of monarchy that many nations did; they ruled themselves primarily at the local level with occasional large-scale meetings among elected delegates -- saw what the elves of The Vaelt were doing in modifying their environment to fit their own needs. Under the guise of improving it, of course, because the elves of The Vaelt have the reputation of feeling their ways are always the best ways, but the rapid changes were of some concern.

Recognizing the potential for true nature -- wilderness unmodified by humanoid forces -- to disappear from the world in the face of arcane prowess, it is believed that Valerman mages took on a great project to protect as many kinds of natural areas as they could. Thus the preserves were created.

"It is said," says Athisa, "that there are twelve preserves in the world. It would seem that you have discovered the temperate forest preserve. The identities of the others are a matter of some debate. Alpine, tropical rainforest, desert... there are rumors of one that is entirely ocean, no land at all. It seems likely that each would have some manner of protection, so I could easily envision each having a guardian of some sort, but whether they take the same form as the one you have encountered I can only begin to speculate."

Athisa pauses. "I do wonder whether the War has affected the preserves in some fashion. They were created by powerful mages, and if the nature of the world's magic has changed..."

She trails off, but the implication is clear. She fears the viability of the preserves may be in some danger.
Aug 22, 2019 6:58 pm
But this one is okay. And it had a messed up necromancer throwing dead people at it for who knows how long.
[ +- ] headspace
Ember realizes that as she pushed into the group to talk to Athisa, she leaned on Verrian's arm. She jerks back with a rushed, blushing apology.

Maybe the others will be okay too. I don't know. But I guess it's good to hope in something.

It's unclear why she suddenly sounds petty.
Aug 22, 2019 7:15 pm
Verrian is startled - not by Ember's leaning against her, but by her stammered apology and sudden jerking away. Verrian wonders if she has done or said something to make the girl feel unwelcome to make physical contact; if she has, it must have been unconscious, because the Naucan can't recall it.

No need to apologize, little one, she shares, placing an arm around Ember's shoulders and giving an affectionate squeeze.

Aloud, she says, "Athisa, we'll definitely keep an eye out for other preserves. I imagine most of them will be warded, as this one was, but maybe not in the same way... or as securely."
Aug 22, 2019 7:55 pm
Maybe Birdface knows.
Aug 22, 2019 8:15 pm
Verrian frowns at Wil and pointedly shares, Let's try not to make the all-powerful magical Guardian angry with us again, shall we?
Aug 22, 2019 8:21 pm
You appear as a giant face made of birds and you don't tell me your name...you are birdface to me. I suppose I could go to...

He jumps to his feet and removes his hat with a flourish.

The Great and Powerful Birdface!
Aug 22, 2019 8:23 pm
Pip pips angrily at Willitan's disregard for the respect of a spirit. Elora has to hold him in her hands to keep him from attacking Wil. "Um, Wil, maybe that's not a good idea."
Aug 22, 2019 9:03 pm
I am sure he knows that I am just pulling his...ummm...face? I doubt one as wise and powerful would be bothered by one so inconsequential as I.
Aug 22, 2019 9:55 pm
"If there is nothing else you feel is important at the moment," comes Athisa's voice from the disc, "It is probably time to say goodbye for now. Please be safe -- as much as you are able. I hold you all in my heart. And as I am an old woman, and fragile of heart," she continues, sarcasm dripping from the last few words, "try and keep from breaking it, if you will. Try to reach your meeting with Coreene and Uelten within a week if you can. I will instruct them likewise."
Aug 22, 2019 10:00 pm
Yelnar says "We will be able to use horses from the Estate if they survived the storm. Are we going to be able to help the Frog people with the Knife birds on the way?"
Aug 22, 2019 10:31 pm
"We will do our best to keep your fragile elderly heart intact," Verrian replies dryly. More earnestly, she asks Athisa to pass along her love and greetings to Adaye for her friends at the Meriavan kinship.

To Yelnar she says, "If I have the geography straight in my mind, we should be nearby the island of the 'knife birds' when we meet up with Coreene and Uelten. We should be able to keep our promise to the frog people, barring any unforeseen barriers."
Aug 22, 2019 11:31 pm
Unforeseen barriers. Like Wil smack-talking the bird face until those of us with magic actually get smacked in the face.
Aug 22, 2019 11:39 pm
"Yes," Verrian says, "exactly like that."
Aug 23, 2019 1:19 am
I will stop. But I believe you are worrying unnecessarily.
This being has seen our thoughts. Our inner selves. He has judged us worthy of resting here in this most sacred of groves. Judged us worthy of this companion for our journey. Do you really think that this will change due to some good natured ribbing?

He sits back down and says in a heartfelt sincere tone.

My apologies, Mr. Protector, if my irreverent name has caused you any distress.
Aug 23, 2019 2:23 am
Ember still can't tell if this fighter is really a bard or not.

Most of the charismatic combatants she's met have been thieves.

She looks up.

We'd still love to know what you're called, though, if that's okay.
Aug 23, 2019 3:17 am
Please be called Birdface.
Aug 23, 2019 3:31 am
Elora starts feeling as though Willitan's being a little too carefree. "I'm not sure that's how it works Wil."
Aug 23, 2019 3:47 am
I truthfully meant no harm and firmly believe the intent behind my words are known to the Protector, and there has never been ill will behind my words.

Wil is looking her in the eye, the best he can, and there is no hint of any joking in his tone.
Aug 23, 2019 4:17 am
What strange creatures you are... your obsession with words for names... comes a soft, distant voice in your heads that you have come to recognize as the Guardian's.

I have no need of names, as I have told you... Guardian serves well enough... Birdface, if that is what means something to you, serves well enough...

It goes silent for a long while, long enough to wonder if it's gone away again, when it says, ...if I may call you Tiny...

A rustling of leaves in the trees nearby sounds suspiciously like laughter.
Aug 23, 2019 4:31 am
Wil laughs and bows.

Tiny is as accurate as any. And more accurate than many. It's a pleasure to be formally introduced.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.