Chapter 4: New Day

load previous
Aug 23, 2019 5:36 am
Elora giggles slightly at this exchange, and she swears Pip does too. "Oh!" She suddenly remembers they are delaying Athisa, and promptly decides to remedy the situation. "Be safe Athisa, we'll contact you again soon."
OOC:
Forgot Athisa is still on call I think.
Aug 23, 2019 12:21 pm
Ember smiles, waves at "Athisa", and hops.

Oh! Oh! What am I?

Since they’ve got "Birdface" and "Tiny" already, after all.
Aug 23, 2019 2:42 pm
There is no response from the Guardian for quite some time.

When it does come, it’s not in words, but images.

A wolf stands at the edge of a mild slope, overlooking a forested valley. Peaceful. Calm.

With no warning, a cub leaps onto the wolf, tiny teeth bared and growling.

The adult seems unsurprised as the young one vainly attempts to gnaw on it, snarling as menacingly as it can.

The cub leaps down from the adult’s back and drops into a crouch, hindquarters in the air, tail wagging furiously. It hops about, letting out small barks, tail going at top speed.

After a moment, the adult drops into the same crouch, and they chase each other down the slope into the valley.
Aug 23, 2019 3:12 pm
Verrian giggles, unable to help herself. It's not just that the imagery is funny and endearing - it's just so nice to receive this kind of telepathic communication after days without it.

Realizing that Ember might think she's laughing at her, she ruffles the girl's hair a little before draping her arm over her shoulders again.
Last edited August 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Aug 23, 2019 3:18 pm
Ember grins like an idiot. She'd much rather be a wolf puppy than a "problem child."
Aug 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Wil looks at Ember.
An auspicious vision indeed. Innocence and joy are rare and should be nurtured. Plus, there are none so loyal as the wolf.

He adopts a stern face.
No biting the Tiny One though.
Aug 23, 2019 8:56 pm
Your dreams that evening are strange.

...you soar past mountains, effortlessly wheeling in thermal updrafts that launch you into the sky, sending your heart racing with fierce joy...

...you burrow through the dirt, the scent of decay somehow not bringing uneasiness to your mind, but comfort... this is the scent of life returning to nourish new life...

...you stand still, but your arms reach far, stretching toward your fellows, whispered not-quite-words telling you that you may stand alone, but you will never be alone, your feet and toes burrowing happily into the ground to feel a force of life that strengthens you...

...you watch a storm arise out of clear skies, a raging tempest that is like nothing you have ever seen, and you race desperately away, hearing the cries of your herd behind you as one by one they are consumed...

...you stand, dipping your head to drink from a brackish pond barely an inch deep, and you wonder desperately where the lake that once stood here has gone, and where your next drink will come from...

...you stand together with your fellows, and despite the poisoning of the earth around you, you draw that poison up from the ground and concentrate on breaking it down, sequestering it from those creatures that might be harmed more severely...

All these and more swirl through your head as you sleep, and while many are disturbing, even terrifying, even more are inspiring and joyful, and you awake the next morning surprisingly refreshed. The forest around you teems now with signs of life you hadn't noticed yesterday. From the tiniest of insects to the bull elk that grazes casually not twenty feet away from your camp to the countless varieties of trees, the preserve seems somehow refreshed as well.
Aug 23, 2019 11:18 pm
Yelnar wakes in he middle of the night after the visions, a question he had been asking himself answered. He makes his way a little further on into the wilderness, just enough to feel alone. He sits and meditates for a time, listening to the sounds of the night. Eventually, he thinks in his mind.

"Guardian, if I were to devote my efforts I to protecting this and other places like it, and try to bring back a world where preserves like this are no longer needed, what would you call me?"
Last edited August 23, 2019 11:19 pm
Aug 23, 2019 11:40 pm
Verrian awakens in a pensive frame of mind. Her life has been spent in cities, for the most part, and her work has always been focused on the doings and interactions of people. While she's always had an appreciation of natural beauty, she realizes now how superficial that appreciation was. The dreams of the night have provided her with a deeper understanding of the life cycle of nature and, more importantly, of the interdependence of all living things and the earth itself. It is strikingly analogous to the view she's always had of the world of humanoids and nations, but now she understands that world to be a small part of the larger universe that is all of nature.

She thinks she received a valuable education overnight that will substantially reshape her approach to diplomacy... assuming that diplomacy, as a profession, is ever required in the Post-War world.

She shares with the Guardian her personal telepathic vocabulary of gratitude for the visions, adding afterward, I fear that we are going to face horrible scenes of suffering and many personal trials as we set out into the larger world again. I may be called upon to rid the world of people who are like the poison in the vision. Do you think that, too, is part of the cycle of nature? Can destroying people who seek to destroy magic be reconciled with the understanding you've shared with me?
Aug 24, 2019 1:28 am
Ember wakes up face down in the grass but decides to stay there for a while. She's not good at talking to voices in her head. It hasn't helped her before. She's relieved that her usual "guest" is gone, but she know it won't be for long. Yet despite that urgency, she can't verbalize anything. She worries about her legacy. Worries about her self control. About keeping friends - yes, friends - and making them in the first place, and about making right what was so easily made wrong. And, for all of Wil's moving talk, she worries about what Ocassa wants with her, if the goddess is even there.

But the thoughts rush back and forth through her head without ever fully forming. A small part of her hopes the Guardian knows something and can hear her. The rest of her just wants to keep the other voice out as long as she can.
Aug 24, 2019 3:05 am
Elora feels her body shift between scared, happy, melancholic, and at peace with her surroundings, surrendering to the vivid landscapes before her. By the end of it she finds herself waking up to the light poking and prodding of Pip in what must be the early morning, or early for the sanctuary at least. "...What is it Pip?" She wipes her eyes, seeing that Pip is now fluttering close to her before flying off a short distance, looking at her expectantly. "Does that mean follow?" She says to herself. Heading after the bird she finds herself almost lost in the seemingly endless forest, finding him standing on a fairly large rock. He pecks the rock once, stares at her, then pecks it again. "...Okay." And so she gets on the rock sitting criss-crossed.

And then, Elora isn't quite sure what happened next. She and Pip were looking straight into each other's eyes, never breaking concentration for what felt like hours, but it couldn't have been that long. Throughout it all Elora swears she saw the very edges of something otherworldly, beyond her comprehension, sometimes a strike of color or shimmering symbol, but for the life of her she couldn't take her eyes off of Pip. Suddenly she felt the visions stop, her focus returning to normal. Pip cocked his head and flew off, back in the direction of the others. "...What just happened?" Without an answer Elora heads back, thoroughly confused.

somebox sent a note to 78RPMLife
Aug 24, 2019 4:02 am
Wil awakes rested and even more in awe of nature then before.

Thank you Guardian. That was a most pleasant and enlightening night.
Last edited August 24, 2019 4:03 am
Aug 26, 2019 5:53 pm
The Guardian's voice, even after the quiet night, seems quiet and distant. Certainly more so than when you arrived yesterday.

It responds to Yelnar first, but only in images: a stormy sea, with wind-tossed waves towering as they rush toward the shore. A rocky cape juts out into the sea, looming vast as the sea pounds against it. Slowly at first, increasing in speed, time in the vision speeds up. The sea rises and recedes, storms and calms, but the cape remains solid and stoic, wearing away only in small increments over time.

To Verrian, the Guardian says, Death is the natural course of life... bringing death may or may not be part of that course... wisdom lies in considering the question and its answer... I can be of no other help than that, I fear...
OOC:
My assumption was that the questions asked by Yelnar and Verrian were privately posed; the answers would be privately given unless stated otherwise.
Aug 26, 2019 9:07 pm
The Guardian's answer is unsatisfying, but Verrian really hadn't expected anything else. She'd asked something tantamount to permission to kill people like Ildemu and Garand Disos, and really, there is no one authorized qualified to grant her that permission. She will have to make such decisions according to her own conscience. And, hopefully, not merely according to her personal desires.

She opens her sharing to include everyone else present. Guardian, we don't fully understand the nature of this preserve. Is it connected to the part of the larger world where the portal resides? Or could we move through it to another portal that would let us out into another part of the world?

We need to meet friends in a place halfway between Viamard and Hara.
For the Guardian's benefit, she shares an image of a map of the relevant region. We need to acquire horses and be on our way to this place. But we need to know if that means going back through the portal that brought us here, or moving further into your preserve.
Last edited August 26, 2019 9:07 pm
Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm
There are other entrances and exits to this place, but none that would place you near where you need to go, the Guardian responds. It would be fastest to depart from the portal you used to enter, and travel that way.

My awareness does not extend very far beyond this place, but as far as I am able to sense, the road to where you travel is clear of corrupting influences. Whether that means there is no danger to you, I cannot say. But the land itself feels... whole.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.