Jorune: Strange Allies Sequence 1.2

load previous
Jan 28, 2016 9:02 am
The work is hard, and the ship's pilot, Wen Lonson, is as severe a muadra as you've ever seen. Thankfully, you are beneath Wen's notice most of the time, as Renno and Lej watch over your work. You learn the ropes before too long: stacking crates, positioning cages, unfurling sheets, tying down lines, swinging booms...this all comes pretty naturally to Yongap, but the others quickly get the hang of the basics. Finally, the cargo is secured, the wind ripples in the sheets, and even each of you can feel that the crystal ship is straining at the dock to take off sailing across the sky.

At sunset, Wen Lonson's order comes to cast off, and you all work to coil rope for a time while the towers of Kaigon dwindle to the south. Renno explains that the wind is always from the south in the evening, around this part of the continent, so evenings are a time of reduced duty in rotation. At other times you'll have to be working hard, tacking to keep the crystal ship moving along at a speed needed to arrive in Reet in time and on schedule. It quickly gets cold this high above the ground, and Wen allows the off-duty crew to light several braziers on clear areas of the deck for idle crew and passengers to warm themselves and drink some hot rusper as the stars wheel by overhead.

It is while you are warming yourself at a brazier that first night, trying to keep warm enough that your overworked muscles don't get too stiff, that Miniri hears and Marik sees that some people very like Hentak and Elonpo - the merchant and bodyguard - are passengers aboard the ship. They both recall their conversation that Vordenir had with the merchant back at the talmaron aerie, and their bronth companion confirms that it is indeed the same man (once they point Hentak out to Vordenir). Strange...but perhaps he sold all his wares at Kaigon in a day, and is now traveling north to Reet with a new shipment of goods to sell?
Jan 28, 2016 10:46 am
"How do you wanna play this? Confront the man, rough him up? Or me and Ullis can sneak and snoop around, maybe?"
Jan 29, 2016 12:52 am
"His bodyguard might get twitchy if you start sniffing his charge's tail, Gythaar. Maybe we can befriend him somehow? Get him an extra food ration, or soft pillow for his bunk?" Miniri rubs her sore hands together, wondering if she'll ever be able to hold a quill and parchment again. Some of those triddle letters require finesse if you don't want to write like a child, she complains inwardly.

"We sort of know him. It might be odd not to at least give greetings. And showing him special favours may earn his confidence."
Jan 29, 2016 7:24 pm
Marik frowns, "It seems unlikely that he has already sold all of his wares in one day. On the other hand, what are the chances that they have anything at all to do with our mission? Perhaps just some friendly conversation will be the best method here."
Jan 31, 2016 7:33 am
Barragar adds: "...and if that fails, we can always use the Way of the Shadow to investigate. Well, I can, anyway." He nods over to Xentak and Elonpo. "They don't seem to have recognized us, not even this one" (nudging Vordenir companionably) "It likely that, as crew, we're invisible to them. I could probably take one of you with me to eavesdrop or spy on them and they wouldn't notice us."

The large man grins. "But maybe it won't come to that. They could be normal traders, heading north. I'm just naturally suspicious."
Feb 1, 2016 9:02 pm
The night is cold and clear, affording you unobstructed views of the stars and the seven moons shining down from above. Aside from the chill winds, there is very little sense of motion aboard this "ship," as it is so enormous. The sense of vertigo is you approach the edge is alarming, because the ship is actually scudding along quite fast, augmenting the speed of the isho flow with a prevailing northern wind billowing the full sails.

At one point shortly before you retire for bed, Wen Lonson calls most hands into the rigging. You all furl the sails while the larger members of the crew - including Lej, Barragar, and Vordenir - swing the booms to tack the vessel west. It turns out that the Champion was overtaking a small skyrealm. In the end, the maneuver wasn't necessary, as the vessel floated up higher and passed above the tallest trees on the skyrealm, in addition to some distance to the west of it. This caused an uncomfortable queasy sensation in your stomachs which you've never felt before this. Looking down and to the right, those of you in the rigging were able to get a good look at the skyrealm; it's a newer one because you can still see that water spills over the edge from ice the remains on the taller crags near the center of the floating island. Most of it is covered with vegetation, and you see the flashes of some light deep within the trees, followed by a bellow from some creature still on the skyrealm. Afterward, Wen has to reverse the process, tacking back east as the ship settles again to a lower altitude.

Wen Lonson rouses you the next morning for your shift. You spend the day doing various tasks familiar to Yongap: braiding, tarring and coiling rope; checking the cargo; adjusting the sails; washing the deck; and so forth. Of the working of the ship that causes it to levitate on the isho winds there is no sign, though Marik would have expected caji to be involved. It's possible that it's hidden.

There's also tasks that are unique to the crystal ship. There is an open invitation for sailors and crew who have a facility with ranged weapons to shoot the Giar, a sightless native flying creature that likes to roost in the rigging of crystal ships. They're edible, so bagging them can augment the ship's stores, but mostly they're a nuisance, scavenging food and leaving droppings on anything below. There's also a roost of talmaron that must be tended; these are used in cases of emergency for conveying messages, or for crew to fetch water or other supplies in places where there is no docking tower for the crystal ship itself.
Feb 2, 2016 6:11 pm
So, for this first night and day aboard ship, you may provide
a) what crew task you are working on aboard ship (particularly if they relate to skills/foci or character interactions). These do not need to be limited to what I've described above, if something else occurs to you that seems reasonable.
and
b) what thing you do in your off-duty time (also relating to skills/foci or character interactions).

Basically, you can describe two things you do, but one should be related to your work on the crew, and if there's a skill involved, name it. If a roll is needed, I'll let you know.
Feb 2, 2016 7:36 pm
Yongap does whatever is required as far as Sailing work, from rigging to navigating or just being a lookout. If anyone falls ill, he offers his Healer services through his Dysha.

Off-duty, Yongap offers to Cook or Game with the crew and any passengers, and during the course of casual conversation, see if any Underground Information could be gleaned with the right questions.
Feb 3, 2016 3:46 am
Miniri, ever eager to try new things, quickly tires of the strenuous exercise, and while she doesn't refuse to do the work, she does run out of steam and attempt to Bargain for less physical jobs.

In the off-shifts, Miniri tries to make friends with the other passengers by Story-Telling about the whatever seems to interest her companions, and Fast Talk if they question her too hard about her journeys purpose.
Feb 3, 2016 6:47 pm
Marik spends most of his time climbing and helping with the rigging, thoroughly enjoying his view from on high.

In his off time Marik spends time trying to make contacts among the crew as well as peering over the edge of the ship to see what places he recognizes (Traveler).
Feb 3, 2016 8:11 pm
Gythaar lends a hand wherever it is needed, whether on deck or anything that involves Climbing about up in the rigging. As they travel he takes careful note of the Weather (though doesn't offer his opinions unless asked, because surely these seasoned sailors know the nuances of weather better than he), and also watches the terrain below (Traveler) as the schooner speeds across the landscape. Like Marik, the grizzled crugar tries to make new Contacts among those on board.
OOC:
I'm quite shocked to realize I never took any ranks in Underground Information!
Last edited February 3, 2016 8:11 pm
Feb 4, 2016 10:20 am
Barragar uses his prodigious strength (16) to shift cargo and adjust ropes when the sails and their booms need adjusting.

When evening comes around again, he will ask if anyone wants to accompany him on a little "scouting mission" to investigate Hentak and Elonpo (Move Silently S18, Conceal Self X15).
Feb 4, 2016 10:24 am
Ullis climbs up and acts as lookout each time Wen Lonson needs something spied out (SPOT 15), whether it be observing obstacles like more skyrealms, or identifying attractions like fresh water or fruit trees heavy with ripe fruit down in the land below.

Ullis curious about the "merchant" and agrees to go along with the Shadow Warrior to investigate Hentak (silent movement 8).
Feb 4, 2016 2:33 pm
Gythaar also offers to join Ullis & Barragar (Silent Movement - 12/Experienced)
Feb 4, 2016 2:45 pm
Marik also wants to know what's up with the merchant, but decides not to go. He figures that any more than three people following him will be too conspicuous.
Feb 5, 2016 9:16 am
Once he relaxes enough to stop looking over his shoulder, Yongap falls easily back into the routine of Sailing. His ease with the work makes quick friends with Renno and some of the other rough-around-the-edges crew, though Wen Lonson never seems satisfied with anyone. Wen doesn't like the crew mingling with the passengers, but Yongap is able to leverage his camaraderie into some games of Whellak, a gambling game he learned from some salu years before and which few of these Jaspians know.
OOC:
CancerMan: You succeed at Gambling. Still, roll a check on your Gambling skill, not to succeed - your skill is high enough for "success" so you can count that as a success for your focus - but to compare your result to Renno's roll to determine whether you succeed in gaining his trust by winning or losing some cash. But for the Underground Info, do a straight check on that to see what information you can glean from your interactions with the crew while playing Whellak. You can also come up with the details of the game Whellak, if you like. It probably involves shells and some push your luck mechanic, but it's up to you.
Miniri tries to appeal to Wen Lonson's better nature, wheedling for softer work. This does not curry favor with the other crew members, needless to say. So they are skeptical if not downright rude when the genteel crugar offers to tell them a story. But her unexpected charm and deft skill with a tale leave an impression on the crew. Aside from the ever-suspicious and disapproving Wen Lonson, none of the crew have any particular interest in her background, and so she doesn't need to do more than she has done to distract them from asking about her motives for joining the crew.
OOC:
Qralloq: Does Miniri learn by success or by failure? I'm sure you've said, but I couldn't see it; would you mark it on Miniri's character sheet?
Wen is a harsh taskmaster, so I'm going to have you roll for the Bargain skill check to convince him. Your storytelling is a success. Feel free to post some storytelling in character, if you'd like to build that lore. If you do, I might grant you some attainment points in the skill, even though it is not a focus for Miniri at the moment.
Marik spends his time literally learning the ropes from the rest of the crew. Even though they are pretty different, the rest of the crew sort of lumps Marik and Yongap together as "those little guys." Marik's eagerness to learn coupled with Yongap's camaraderie with the more gruff and grizzled crew results in Marik's being accepted by some of the crew, too. Renno introduces the muadra caji to many of the crew; Marik takes mental notes as to who might have useful skills or information he could learn in future. While on duty, Marik spends time (when he can avoid the fish-eye of Wen Lonson) watching the Gauss Valley roll past underneath the ship, exhilarating at seeing familiar geography from this unusual perspective. He's flown on occasion, but always before it's been on talmaron, and the view there is obstructed by wings and constant flapping motion. By contrast, the view from the rigging is serene and Marik can appreciate the scenery.
OOC:
Naatkinson: Roll a d4 and come up with sketches of that many other sailors; these are your nascent contacts you're developing on the crew. For the skill check, however, I want you to roll: that is to determine if an existing contact happens to be on board. Traveler is an automatic success.
Gythaar climbs even more nimbly through the rigging, his eyes taking in as much of land and sky as he can while being worked hard by the brutal Wen Lonson. He can see clouds form and dissipate, and gets an inkling of how the moons interact with the isho, which influences the physical weather as well as the isho weather. Unfortunately, Gythaar doesn't have the social graces exhibited by Miniri, and many of the Jaspian crew barely contain their anti-crugar prejudice.
OOC:
: Jabes.plays.RPG: I'm going to have you roll three Climbing checks, just to get a sense of how well you perform your duties aloft. Both weather and traveler are successes, as you have plenty of time in the shrouds to observe both. I'm also going to have you roll for your Contacts, to see if Gythaar recognizes or is recognized by someone.
As night falls and their shifts end, Barragar prepares to lead the others on a little excursion...

Rolls

Renno gambling - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 5, 2016 1:31 pm
Gythaar enjoys his time up in the rigging, watching the clouds shift as the wind ruffles his fur. His grand-daughter would love a trip like this on a crystal schooner. Why hadn't he thought of it sooner? Gythaar makes a mental note to talk to Aki's mother about it when he returns.
Last edited February 6, 2016 3:35 am

Rolls

Climbing 9/Familiar - (1d20, 1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (13) = 13

1d20 : (7) = 7

1d20 : (18) = 18

Contacts 6/Familiar - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 5, 2016 2:21 pm
Marik is truly enjoying his time aboard the ship with the other sailors and the things he's learning are so fascinating. He still keeps an eye out for anyone who might be helpful in their mission or future missions.
OOC:
When you say to come up with sketches of these people do you mean for me to create some NPCs?
Last edited February 5, 2016 2:22 pm

Rolls

Contacts vs 6/F - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Number of contacts - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Feb 6, 2016 2:51 am
Yongap casually talks as he plays, rolling a set of 3 dice and wagering on the different combinations that show up.

Rolls

Gaming (10F) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Underground Information (4F) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 6, 2016 2:58 pm
Miniri tries to convince Wen that her uses are best put into non-labour intensive tasks.

Later in the evening, she attempts to regale the other passengers with stories of querrid oddities.

"It can be tough being a querrid crugar, people don't always take me serious. And there some of those who have more coin and time on their hands than is fair. Every so often, one of them calls upon me to try and get delicate information from a woffen. Maybe they're all friends and it's a part of some contest. 'Let us see who can get the crugar to get the craziest information from the woffen!'

One time, I was tasked with finding out where is the best place to stab a woffen in order to incapacitate it with pain! So off I go to the thriddle, but they weren't much help. I tried some of the libraries but the information wasn't easily found. So, I went to the hospital and found a muadra trauma nurse. I got her really drunk and picked her brains for woffen stabbing tips, but that got really awkward and somehow became flirting and she got amorous. It turns out that they have a nerve cluster under the arm that really takes the howl out of them when stabbed.

It's terribly funny for them, no doubt, when I show back up, arm in a sling, or covered in woffen dung."

Rolls

Bargain (F6) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.