Side RP: Chaos in Hara

load previous
Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am
OOC:
I regret putting no points in climb. I'll roll this, then we can add two or not after Qralloq rolls.

Oh god...
Last edited August 23, 2019 11:39 am

Rolls

Climb - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Aug 23, 2019 12:51 pm
OOC:
I have like 15 skills. Not climb. Or Strength

Rolls

Climb - (1d20+0)

(11) = 11

Aug 23, 2019 2:27 pm
It’s all going so well. Uelten carefully steadies the pile of crates, and Coreene deftly — if nervously — makes her way up. There’s an unexpected complication as she reaches a height where she can peer in the window, though. The pile is just a bit farther away from the wall than it seemed.

No matter. Coreene carefully inches forward to try and get a peek inside... carefully... carefully...

CRACK!

She puts her hand down on a crate that gives way beneath. As her weight shifts unexpectedly, the crates do the same. Everything teeters... teeters... and starts to tumble down. Coreene is just able to get a glimpse in the window as she falls past it: maybe ten or so people standing, watching over maybe forty others, who are all sitting on the floor, their heads bowed.

Of course, it’s hard to do much counting while you’re falling.

The crates collapse with a loud clatter. Loud enough to be heard inside? Hard to know. Coreene ends up in a heap, lying among the splintered remains.
Aug 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Swan rushes to help her up. "They had to hear that, we have to get out of sight." Basically pulling her free and to her feet, he aims them around a corner.
Aug 23, 2019 4:07 pm
It doesn't take much to get Coreene moving. She bolts with Uelten to the designated corner and holds her breath, hoping no one noticed.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Aug 23, 2019 4:49 pm
Just when it seems like the disturbance is going to go unnoticed, two people appear around the corner from the front of the warehouse. One of the men is huge, both in height and girth. Shaggy brown hair juts out from beneath a dented helm, and his chin is lost in a cloud of bushy beard. He wears a breastplate, dented and even rusty in spots, and his clothes beneath are stained and in poor condition. He carries a longsword that manages to look somehow small in his meaty fist. The other is an elf, tall and haughty in his expression, wearing black leather armor that has clearly been polished and tailored carefully. He wears a pair of short swords belted at his waist.

They come a little way down the alley, looking for the source of noise. Neither seems to be looking toward where Coreene and Uelten hide.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1, 1d20-1)

Aug 23, 2019 5:42 pm
Coreene jitters uncomfortably in place. She was definitely out of her element. She could cast something... cause a distraction, or call for help... but she would have to make noise to do so. Better to stay still and quiet for now. Let them pass, and then discuss with Uelten what to do.
Aug 23, 2019 8:14 pm
Swan kneels still, suddenly regretting the position. With Coreene also immobile, he tacitly agrees with the tactic. Waiting.
Aug 23, 2019 11:47 pm
The two searchers come upon the pile of crates, and they look at each other with skeptical expressions. The elf speaks up first, lip curled in a faint sneer. "Whoever was out here was certainly clumsy," he says, prodding at the splintered crates with a toe. He looks around the alleyway once more, eyes narrowed. "Trying to look in that window, I'd wager."

He gives a short jerk of a nod toward the window. "I doubt he'll like the sound of that. We might have to move the whole operation."

The larger man grunts, speaking in a deep, gruff voice. "We move all the time. We're used to it. Lots to do, no time to sit around and wait."

They continue on down the alleyway, and round the next corner, disappearing from view.
Aug 24, 2019 12:09 am
Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly, Swan relaxes tension he wasn't aware he had. He whispers, "We should move. Did you see anything?"
Aug 24, 2019 2:21 am
"Not enough. Maybe ten guards and forty prisoners. Didn't have enough time to really count." she whispers, putting a hand to her heart to check her pulse. "By the goddess, that was close."
Aug 24, 2019 11:17 pm
Just when it seems the excitement has passed, Coreene feels something in her pocket vibrate slightly, and muffled sounds come out from the same place. Not quite loud enough to hear more than a couple of feet away, but it’s still a bit of a surprise, given the tension of the moment.
Aug 24, 2019 11:35 pm
"Is that, is that a familiar in your pocket? Or some kind of companion? Because it's loud."

Swan touches the building. "We could start a fire on this end, chase them out the other side. Could be a disaster if they don't actually want to move them, though. Then we follow them before they have time to prepare." Swan smiles quietly. How many taverns had he begun in that have caught fire - none his fault, mind you, he simply frequents the types of establishments that attract wanderers seeking adventure.

"I would rather we have a better plan, with less risk to the neighborhood."
Aug 25, 2019 1:26 pm
Coreene fumes inside her head. Athisa hadn't contacted her in almost a year, why was she getting in touch now? It must be important. "Not exactly. I need to find a place where I can speak with someone. Can you stay here and keep an eye on them?" She says, quietly rushing off a safe distance away.
Pulling the whitestone disk from her pocket, she activates it. "Hello?" She says, as quietly as she can manage while still knowing she can be heard on the other end.
Aug 26, 2019 6:51 pm
There's no immediate response, but after a time, a familiar voice comes from the disk.

"Coreene? Is this not a good time?"

Athisa's voice is similarly quiet.
Aug 26, 2019 7:56 pm
Coreene grimaces as she looks back at the warehouse. "Well... it's not a great time... but, I figured, since you hadn't contacted me in a while, it must be important." she explains to Athisa. "What's happened?"
Aug 26, 2019 8:14 pm
Athisa describes, in broad terms, the decision to send groups of people out from behind the Wards to explore what's going on in the world, and what she has learned in the few days since those groups left: the apparent rise of Garand Disos and his efforts to eradicate magic from the world, the encounter with the One-Eyed Crows and their restraints that sap the victim of their ability to use magic, the confirmed existence of the Valerman nature preserves.

"If these people -- Disos's underlings -- have been active somewhere as small as Viamard, it seems likely they've made it to Hara as well. Have you seen any evidence of this?" she asks.
Aug 26, 2019 8:22 pm
The Naucan takes a moment to absorb what she's just heard. "Unfortunately, yes." She begins to tell her of the issues occurring in Hara of people disappearing, and how their hunt for a girl's mother lead them to the warehouse that they were currently keeping an eye on filled with at least a number of those that had been abducted. She tells her about how they believe that the abducted were people who may have shown magical ability.
"It makes a little too much sense, and makes this all that much harder." She finishes her explanation.
Aug 26, 2019 8:32 pm
"Do not confront them, if they are present in that sort of strength. If their description of the apparent leader of these Crows is any indication, he is amoral and ruthless, his associates nearly equally so. Please, Coreene," says Athisa, voice tense. "I would like for you to meet up with the group currently in Viamard, if you are able to... and your associate Mister Swan, if you are still in contact with him. He sounds as though he would be useful in a pinch such as this. If you were able to join forces with the other group, I feel you would all be more successful in this endeavor."

She describes an old retreat used by Veridium College in days less fraught with peril, some three days ride west of Hara, and indicates she has already asked the other group to venture there.
Aug 26, 2019 9:16 pm
"I.... Well..." Coreene stammers. "We will be there." She promises.
She would talk to Uelten about if they should follow through with this. She couldn't make that call on her own in good conscience. The men already threatened to move their operation. She couldn't allow herself to lose the girl's mother, or any of those poor people...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.