Side RP: Chaos in Hara

Aug 20, 2019 5:23 pm
OOC:
This thread takes place before Chapter 5.
The capital of Alcave is much reduced from its pre-War majesty. Fully three-quarters of its population went missing by the end of the War. Most of those died as a result of the various battles of the War, some simply disappeared. There are persistent rumors that many of those that disappeared were... transformed by the crossfire of arcane power. Indeed, over the years since the end of the War, the stories have only grown more outlandish, from a secret city of mutants in the deep forest, to ghostly apparitions that visit the unfortunate as they sleep and drain their life force.

The city of Hara has rebuilt somewhat under the leadership of Martin Ghara, a former captain of the city guard. The lawlessness and chaos of the immediate post-War period has settled into a routine, if not a particularly comfortable one. Mayor Ghara has rebuilt the city guard into an effective force, albeit one that does not suffer much mischief. Their heavy-handed methods have drawn grumbles from some of the residents, but there is no doubt that Hara has managed to settle into a functional state once again.

Over the last few months, though, something sinister seems to be happening.

Every once in a while, a Hara resident will go missing unexpectedly. Usually, they will return the next day, though anyone speaking to them will report that they refuse to answer any questions about where they were, who took them, or why. One thing is certain: the returned resident is spooked about something...

More concerning are those that never return. Some say that the city guard has taken them prisoner... others that the mutants have stolen them from their beds... still others that they've been sucked dry by the ghosts... but it has the entire city on edge even more than usual.
OOC:
Coreene and Uelten -- I will leave it to you to decide how you want to start this. Right now, assume that Athisa has not contacted you yet, and you're merely going about your business in Hara.
Aug 20, 2019 5:32 pm
"Look, my dear, there is really no need for you to be down here." Swan looks about the shady alley while Coreene looks behind a barrel. "Surely Shaderoot is found in other places. Forest glens, manor gardens, moonlit beaches."

The quarter-orc looked around, his vermilion cloak chased with fine silvery thread seemed overly opulent, and a dangerous bargain in the seedy underside of Hara. "I'm no man-at-arms to guard you on your mad mission of midden meandering." He smiles toothily, pleased at the turn of phrase. "Mind you," he smiles more deeply, "a robust misadventure might be just the thing to teach you about life outside of the academy."
Aug 20, 2019 5:42 pm
"Nonsense, Uelten. Coreene says, shifting her search to a nearby pile of garbage. "Even if I cannot find the Shaderoot, there could still be some fungus or mold that I could catalogue, or make a poultice of."
After a few moments, she stands from the search with a huff, wiping the grim off on her breeches. "Nothing. Absolutely nothing." She shakes her head in frustration. "Perhaps there is someone in town we could talk to to procure some. Any self respecting apothecary is sure to have a small stash somewhere."
Aug 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Uelten frowns at her hand wiping. "I know just the place. Grimover Bee, a smallish fellow with a reputation for unusual stock." He all but pushes her out of the alley, and indicates they should go left. One fang sticks out of his lips, as it does when he is thinking. "I know you wanted, er, fresh, but perhaps he has a midden pile set aside just for this purpose."

He sets a brisk pace, trying to use subtle peer pressure to speed their journey out of the district. "One thing, though, don't mention his, well, you'll see. Just try not to stare." Uelten suppresses a shudder; conjoined twins were his newest phobia. It seemed like there were more, and he didn't recall ever seeing them in Rhamia. But since he had been here, he had seen three. He does shudder at that.
Aug 20, 2019 5:57 pm
Coreene clucks her tongue. It wasn't what she wanted, but if she could get her hands on even some old Shaderoot, it would help her get out of the rut she had fallen into with her research. "Very well. Let's go see this person."
Aug 20, 2019 6:08 pm
As they walk along, he glances at Coreene, curious about her dedication to her charges. Did she feel no sense of fear, or self-preservation?. "You could tell me about this patient. How does one who lost all of their teeth manage to, how should I say, not starve to death? Surely they can't just drink soup all the time."
Aug 20, 2019 6:34 pm
She shrugs. "Doesn't have to be soup. Often, I've mashed over-ripe fruits or simply juiced others. I once witnessed a particularly dedicated wife chew all of her husbands food for him." She makes a face at that. "I think that may also have been partly punishment for getting his teeth knocked out."
With a sigh, she explains, "This patient has lost all their teeth to some sort of rot, and if I don't get this medicine made, they could lose even more of their mouth. False teeth can be made, and sometimes, real ones can even be regrown, but if their degeneration continues, there may be little hope."
Aug 20, 2019 6:43 pm
Swan chews on that for a while, then suddenly sings,
"Ganner was a little sore, so his teeth he never wore,
Said they made him miss the war.
Mabbie chewed his meat for him, but got angry when he was maudlin,
She spat into his mouth the chewed up boar!"

He giggles, then pulls out a parchment and makes a few notes.
Aug 20, 2019 7:09 pm
The two walk along for a time, the usual meager crowd of people moving along the street. Over the last few weeks, people around the city have grown increasingly paranoid. You can see it in the sideways glances they give each other, the tension in their voices when they speak to strangers, the reluctance to stay overlong in the streets.

After a block or two, a young woman, probably no more than 11 years old, comes running up to Coreene. Her plain dress has clearly been mended a number of times, her simple shoes show the signs of patched holes. Coreene would know her as Minama, the daughter of an occasional customer of herbs and home remedies. She's a little breathless as she speaks to the Naucan woman. "Mistress Coreene, oh thank the stars... oh please, help... it's my mama... she's gone!" she says, her voice breaking in panic and worry. "I... didn't know who else to come to. Can you help?"
Aug 20, 2019 7:53 pm
Coreene is taken aback by Minama's plea. "Calm down, child. We can help. When did you last see her?" She had a feeling they would encounter this problem when they came to Hara, but her hearted ached for the girl.
Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm
Swan stands aside, one fang showing.
Aug 20, 2019 9:01 pm
Minama's panicked breathing slows a bit, now that there's a nominally responsible adult available. "She was there at home last night when I went to sleep, but she usually wakes me up in the morning... and she wasn't there. I woke up on my own, and everywhere I looked, she wasn't there. I waited for a while, 'cause I thought maybe she went to the market, or..."

Thinking it back over again, the girl's lower lip starts to quiver and her eyes grow wet. "Maybe the g-ghosts got her?" she squeaks in a tiny voice. "What if she's... gone?"
Aug 20, 2019 9:16 pm
Coreene lays comforting hands on Minama's shoulders, kneeling down slightly to be closer to eye level with her. "Everything is going to be alright. Take us back to your home. Maybe we can find something that will tell us where your mother went." She doubted it, if it truly was ghosts. If it was mutants, or, as she rather suspected, the guards, they would have left some sign of passage or struggle behind.
Aug 20, 2019 9:53 pm
Minama takes a quick look at Uelten, not entirely sure about this... other person, but her worry about her mother wins out over her concern about Mr. One-Fang-Showing, and she moves back through the crowd. She looks back over her shoulder now and again to make sure Coreene and Uelten are following.

She leads them to one of the poorer parts of town, ramshackle run-down homes barely better than shacks. This part of the city was leveled in the War and refugees from all over the area resettled it in a haphazard fashion. It's a maze at best. Minama is more careful to make sure her companions are following as they reach this area, and leads them to a particular home. It's as well-cared for as one can manage given the little amount available to work with. It's predictably simple inside: one tiny bedroom shared by mother and daughter and an outer room that serves every other purpose. It's relatively clean and organized; if there's something out of place, it shouldn't be terribly hard to find it.
OOC:
Perception rolls, please!
Aug 20, 2019 10:01 pm
Coreene sets about the place, careful not to move anything much, but keeping a careful eye out for anything that might tell her who did this and where they may have gone.
OOC:
Ouch. Not great for a first roll.
Last edited August 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(3) + 11 = 14

Aug 20, 2019 11:20 pm
Swan bites down to keep from giggling. As somber as the situation is, he is obsessing with his mad rhyme about the man with no teeth. As they navigate the maze however (and not because he is happy with the songs bridge, no sir) he starts actively paying attention.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

Aug 20, 2019 11:55 pm
Minima points out things she seems to think might be of interest, like where her mother likes to sit while mending clothes, or how the curtain that separates the outer room from the bedroom doesn’t make any noise when it moves, or how when it’s cold at night, like it was last night, her mother likes to sleep closer together.

That last catches your ear. It’s obvious from the two piles of bedding on the floor that they weren’t pushed close together, which would suggest that the girl’s mother was abducted prior to going to sleep. You decide to spend your exploration in the outer room and immediately outside the rickety door to the street. Uelten notices an old woman outside the shack next door watching them looking around, though she’s all too clearly trying to not take too much of an interest. There’s also a partial bootprint in a patch of drying mud in the street, last night’s misty rain not enough to wash it away.
Aug 21, 2019 12:20 am
Swan makes notes of the footprint, and then eyes up the old lady. "Good day, ma'am. You look like a woman who knows what's what. Mind if I come over and all you a couple questions?" Swan tries to be friendly, and sizes her up like he would a potential paying customer.

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

Aug 21, 2019 12:52 am
"Don’t know anything, so you can ask all y’ like," the old woman says shortly. She looks past Uelten toward Coreene, then sizes up the fellow in front of her. "Y’ don’t look none like the guard..."
Aug 21, 2019 1:08 am
Swan pts a hand to his chest. "A guard!? I should hope not. No, the lady is a friend of the family. The child can't find her mother." He points toward the footprint. "You didn't perhaps see someone poking around here last night. Maybe around the time folks were laying their heads down?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.