Chapter 5: Pleased to Meet You

load previous
Sep 17, 2019 9:45 pm
Turning to Coreene and Uelten, Verrian asks, "Do you think it's realistic to plan for sending people over the wall? You've actually been there - how well-guarded would it be?"
Sep 17, 2019 9:52 pm
"Indeed. A clandestine smuggling over the wall makes for a much better story than standing in line at the gate."
Sep 17, 2019 9:55 pm
Deadpan, Verrian replies, "That doesn't directly answer my question."
Sep 18, 2019 2:39 pm
"It's difficult to say what has changed already. A day before we left, things seemed fine. Then we found the warehouse and things stepped up almost immediately. The day we left, it was significantly harder to get out, I can't imagine how hard it might be to get in after three days..." she muses, her shoulders slumped. She scratches her neck worriedly. "I- I would volunteer to make a scene, but... how do they detect magic? And what kind? My magic is not arcane, so if they are not looking for my kind, it may be for nothing and I would not be taken to where they hide their prisoners."
Sep 18, 2019 8:22 pm
No, Coreene. Ember pipes up suddenly. If we have to send someone, we send someone who has no magic at all. Like Wil. Sorry Wil. But if we can’t complete the rescue in time, we can’t risk anyone who would be genuinely hurt by those things.

She glances around, hoping nobody looks at her funny. Yet.

Now, I’m more than happy to....gosh this sounds sick.....I can bleed into a vial that you can keep on you, Wil, so they detect a sorcerer’s blood. And I have pretty good range on a lot of my spells. I can help you sell it. But.... It’s asking a LOT, I know.
Last edited September 18, 2019 8:23 pm
Sep 18, 2019 8:46 pm
Yelnar starts to say "I could pose as a Stone Mason looking for work. I imagine they’ll need those..."

Yelnar trails off as he realises all of a sudden that he had been assuming he would be going in as someone who lacks magical ability, but since the visit with the Guardian, he has become capable of such feats. He has always felt comfortable having a relatively simple role in such....what is the word for what they are doing? Adventuring seems trite compared to the reality. People were dying.

He had still not yet started thinking of himself in those terms. It is a startling thing to think that he is now capable of magic whilst his mother is not.

Yelnar forcibly pulls his mind back to focus on the task at hand. He has found it all too easy to drift away of late.
Last edited September 18, 2019 8:55 pm
Sep 18, 2019 9:09 pm
Ember's suggestion spawns a pit in Verrian's stomach. Her mind rebels at the thought of sending any of her friends into that situation.

But she has to admit that it's probably their best shot at getting someone inside the anti-magic operation in Hara.

"Much as I hate the idea of sending Wil into such a situation, we're very short on non-magic users, especially ones that the Crows haven't seen. Wil, are you willing to do this? This has to be your choice, made freely. No one will think ill of you if you refuse."
Sep 18, 2019 9:17 pm
"Now, Coreene and I made it through the gate, although they were a little suspicious. And we are both magically active, although I don't think either if us have any magical artifacts?" He quickly checks his pockets for anything that he may have forgotten about.
Sep 18, 2019 9:22 pm
The Whitestone disc, maybe.

Ember rustles in place, full of anxious energy.

Six days......

It’s everything she has in her to keep her mouth shut if Wil refuses. She knows that she can’t get taken by those creeps. If they did that to Renaya, she wouldn’t stand a chance. But the thought of burning the crows’ current nest to the ground energizes her blood.
Last edited September 18, 2019 9:22 pm
Sep 18, 2019 9:22 pm
"You made it through without detection because no one witnessed you using magic and no one saw you who had ingested the magic-detection potion, or whatever it is, that allows them to pick out magic users from a crowd. We eliminated one such magic-detecting person back in Viamard, but there's no reason to assume the Crows haven't got one in Hara."
Last edited September 18, 2019 9:32 pm
Sep 18, 2019 9:24 pm
"It does seem a bit...risky. No offense Ember." Elora can't help but feel worried for Wil, being the prime candidate for this task. What if he gets found out? What if they can't save him? These troublesome thoughts cause her to subconsciously hold Pip for comfort.
Sep 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Well, what other options do we have?

Ember takes a deep breath... or three. She really doesn’t want to repeat what she did to Coreene a few nights ago.

Sorry. Okay. So, we can sneak in and prepare for a fight. Or, maybe I volunteer. I could...I could hide metal plates under my skin so the manacles didn’t reach my body. Or I could graft, like, deer hide on my wrists. Play them off as a failed attempt to heal my burns. That would keep my skin out of all contact with the chains. And it’s be a heal spell or two to put me back together. Real sorcerer, consent, and a plan. How’s that version?

What are you saying??
We have to help them.
Last edited September 18, 2019 9:36 pm
Sep 18, 2019 9:40 pm
"No!" Verrian's not surprised by the intensity of her vocal response, but she is taken aback to realize that she also shared the response just as forcefully. She reins in her emotional responses before continuing. "We can't send in anyone with actual magical ability. I'll do it before I let you, or Elora, or any other magic-user do it."
Sep 18, 2019 9:45 pm
Coreene, less taken aback by the display than a few nights before, folds her arm and shares privately. @Verrian: No, Verrian. If it comes to that, I will be the one to do it. she shares, sending her feeling of resolve, It is not forceful, but it is firm. @Verrian: I was the one who left them here; who promised that I would see them out safely. I will give anything to keep that promise.
Sep 18, 2019 9:46 pm
"Has anyone used magic since we left the manticore summer camp?"
Sep 18, 2019 9:46 pm
The Naucan’s sharing did a good job drowning out the voice in Ember’s head. She’s quiet for a second.

I have. To see if the mouth people were cursed.

But.....your head, Verrian. What if they can take that away, too?

She looks around the group, genuinely terrified for them all, though she tries not to show it. Do they even stand a chance? She sits, realizing how tired she is.
Last edited September 18, 2019 9:47 pm
Sep 18, 2019 10:15 pm
DarkReaver1998 says:
@Verrian: No, Verrian. If it comes to that, I will be the one to do it. she shares, sending her feeling of resolve, It is not forceful, but it is firm. @Verrian: I was the one who left them here; who promised that I would see them out safely. I will give anything to keep that promise.
Coreene's resolve is familiar to Verrian, as is her self-restraint - Verrian used to have both in equal measure, before she'd let her emotions completely off-leash.

@Coreene: I understand. I don't actually think either of us should do it. If Wil doesn't want to, we should find another way. He's the only one with no magic and no... well, no other special abilities that could be lost.
lavtodd says:
But.....your head, Verrian. What if they can take that away, too?
The question is touching and makes Verrian chuckle. "Let's be honest, little one. I've had a hard time keeping my head on lately, anyway."
Last edited September 18, 2019 10:15 pm
Sep 18, 2019 10:26 pm
I would be happy to do it. I never been to this town, so no one knows me. I will leave my armour and weapons behind so I don't look like a fighter. Just a dagger. Plus, I have the cloak which is magic...although, we may not want to risk that.

He looks at his new friends.

Two other points...I suck at climbing walls and I trust you guys to come get me.
Last edited September 18, 2019 10:26 pm
Sep 18, 2019 10:32 pm
Uelten frowns, trying to keep the puzzle together. "Okay, so you go through the gate, that works entirely, and then what? Aren't we still outside the walls? How do we come get you? What am I missing with this plan?"

Uelten hums a few bars, and pulls out a parchment, beginning a new tragic ode. Her writes down, The Broken Wheel but scratches it out.
Sep 18, 2019 10:45 pm
"I for one cannot climb with any skill, nor am I strong enough to orc it up. But I do know a singing song that should teach us all a little about climbing."
load next

Thread locked